just found a fully engorged tick on DD Update and a ? post #41 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FWIW, I've read lyme can be transmitted in a short time if the tick has recently bitten something else. IN this case, the infected crap is already near the mouthparts ready to be injected into the next victim.

I understand why you'd want to wait, but the consequences of lyme are just so scary i'm not sure I'd wait for symptoms, especiallly if the tick were engorged or I lived in an endemic area (which I do).

ETA: Your dilemma just goes to show that more research needs to be done to find accurate tests for lyme transmission. Current tests just aren't accurate.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
There's lots of controversy in the Lyme community about what treatment is appropriate at diff. stages of the disease. There are even dr. who do not believe chronic lyme exists.

I would take at least 4 weeks abx once the rash develops & at least 3 weeks prophylactically upon finding a tick.

I truly believe that the cdc guidelines are way behind the 8 ball on this one & ppl are either being undertreated or missed altogether b/c of it. But that is just my opinion.
I agree with this - but I'd give my kids (or I'd take) 4 weeks of abx since the life cycle of the bacteria is 4 weeks. During this time, we wouldn't eat any sugar or any yeast & we'd take good probiotics. This is easily said because we're already sugar free & we don't eat bread or grains - except corn & rice.

Since I don't want to give my kids unnecessary abx, I'd rather be careful about where we play. We spend a good deal of time outdoors, but we don't trek through the woods (except in the winter) & we don't play in tall grass. We live in a *very* endemic area & it's a risk I'm just not willing to take.

Quote:
FWIW, I've read lyme can be transmitted in a short time if the tick has recently bitten something else. IN this case, the infected crap is already near the mouthparts ready to be injected into the next victim.

I understand why you'd want to wait, but the consequences of lyme are just so scary i'm not sure I'd wait for symptoms, especiallly if the tick were engorged or I lived in an endemic area (which I do).

ETA: Your dilemma just goes to show that more research needs to be done to find accurate tests for lyme transmission. Current tests just aren't accurate.
I agree with this too, it's true that many, many people with chronic Lyme never had any definitive symptoms, maybe some headaches or neck aches here & there & all of a sudden, their immune systems are compromised for some other reason & BAM! the Lyme takes its opportunity. Young children have such a hard time describing their symptoms.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#33 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we should get the tick test results today. I don't know what to think! Even if it's negative, should I trust that?

I can't imagine giving DD weeks of prophylactic antibiotics. I still have guilt about the fact that she had unnecessary IV abx on her first night of life after we rushed to the hospital due to a breathing issue (which turned out to be benign; doc thought she could possibly have pneumonia.)

So, really, would you give prophylactic abx for the tick bite if you were on our situation??

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#34 of 43 Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM

I guess it depends on how common lyme is in your area. In mine its so common that I would def. do it.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#35 of 43 Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM

#36 of 43 Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 PM

I'm just wondering how this turned out? Was the tick infected? How is your DD?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#37 of 43 Old 06-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiva View Post
Just some vague stuff...dh has frequent neck pain and is tired alot but assumed it was managing a restuarant, having 2 kids and being 31.
Both boys had been sick more than we usually are over the winter and would have these random symptomless fevers every few weeks. And the biggie, and the reason I took them to the ND, was that ds1 had gotten "lazy"...for the past six months he increasingly wanted to stay inside because the sun was "too bright" or he was just too tired to play...and sometimes soft music would "hurt his ears". It just didn't feel right to me anymore.

I know it sounds crazy to some, but it seems to fit. They all seem to be responding to the homeopathics because they have more symptoms every 3 days or so and then are significantly better, then they have symptoms, then they're better, and so on...I hope they fully kick this with this treatment...

jiva
Many of those are the symptoms my then 5 y/o had before he was dx. We never saw a rash or associated any cold/fever type symptoms. In Jan of a year ago he had joint pain serious enough that he couldn't climb into his chair or lift his arm to get dressed. It happened suddenly, but he'd been 'lazy' for a while. I really thought he was going through a bout of not wanting to play, but it was the lyme making hiim so incredibly tired. We did a month of amoxycillin for him and he seems fine now.
#38 of 43 Old 06-14-2008, 08:04 PM

:

I had a large bulzeye looking tick bite on my leg earlier. I saw a dr quickly and was put on a long, high dose of antibiotics...as well as tested, of course since I was tested within the first 4 or 5 days after the bite it came back negative...I finished out the course of antibiotics anyway...it has been just over 3 weeks and so far so good...

From what i read that is your safest course of anction. A long running (2-3 weeks) high dose of antibiotics (I was on 500mg 3 times a day) from the get go. It kills the lyme before it has a chance to do any damage.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#39 of 43 Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post

From what i read that is your safest course of anction. A long running (2-3 weeks) high dose of antibiotics (I was on 500mg 3 times a day) from the get go. It kills the lyme before it has a chance to do any damage.
I'd do a 4 week course instead since the Lyme bacteria's life cycle is 4 weeks.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#40 of 43 Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm just wondering how this turned out? Was the tick infected? How is your DD?
Well, I missed the lab's cutoff for the tick testing; they only do it on Tuesdays and the tick has to arrive before noon...ours arrived that afternoon, so we have to wait until next Tuesday.

No rash or any other symptoms so far for DD. Although she's 21 months, so not so verbal, and also teething and just getting over a head cold. So, I don't know! I'm not comfortable giving her prophylactic antibiotics since the incidence in our area is relatively low.

#41 of 43 Old 06-25-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, when I called the lab to get the results, I was told that the tick was not "test-able." They said the midgut was destroyed, which means they couldn't get a sample out of it to test. Grrrr! The tick was perfectly healthy and alive (crawling) when I sent it in. Nothing I can do about it now.

SO, what do I watch for in my not-so-verbal toddler? No rash as of yet.

And what about testing her? I don't know much about it, other than the fact that the tests are not very accurate (I think?)

#42 of 43 Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Just a bump in case anyone has any info...

#43 of 43 Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 AM

I would not give antibiotics. I would watch for symptoms and do nothing else. My dd had an engorged deer tick fully embedded in her head for weeks before it finally made it's way out. We live in MN and pull ticks of all summer long and never think much of them.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page