Foot, Hand, and Mouth Disease? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's been an outbreak of this at the nursery at the gym. I take DS there every morning for an hour or so, 6 days a week, so pretty god chance he's been exposed. Has anyone had any experience with this?

If blisters or fever do appear, is there any remedies that help? Is it something that needs to be evaluated by a doctor?

The nursery says they're going to wash all the toys with bleach-water solution tonight and clean the floors well and of course ask parents not to bring their children in if they have blisters anywhere, though many of them might have it in the dormant stage right now I imagine. Should I probably refrain from bringing DS back for the next week or two or is that probably too little too late? If he hasn't been exposed I certainly don't want him to be exposed now just for the sake of me working out.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM

I think my dd had it this spring. We didn't go to the doc though, so I can't say for sure...She had a fever for 7 days, started out high for a day or two, then was only about 101. I saw a few red spots in her mouth and her gums were red, swollen, and bleeding. She slept well and wasn't too terribly crabby so we just took it easy at home.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Honestly, my DD had it and had a high fever for days, wouldn't eat, only wanted to nurse around the clock, got blisters around her mouth, was MISERABLE. I gave her tylenol and ibuprofen to keep the fever down and traded off night shifts with DH because she was up all night long.

Shortly thereafter, my best friend's DD (with whom we shared childcare, so BF DD was certainly exposed by my DD all through the contagious period before the fever shows up)... phantom fever for 1 night, not all that high, slept more than usual for a few days, never even mildly cranky.

Just depends on the kid I think. I would maybe get some cool drinks and stuff to eat, because popsicles and other non acidic but cooling things feel better if they get it. And make sure you have fever relievers if you use them. Restful stuff to do on hand-dvds, books, etc. And wait. Good luck!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

User Tag List