Anything I can do for bronchitis -> pneumonia -> broken rib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so it all started with a fever and a cough, and I refused to go to the doc, because it was just a fever and a cough... finally after a week my dh said I had to see a doc, so I went to urgent care and was dx with bronchitis. They gave me augmentin. 5 days later I felt worse, and went to see my regular doc. He dx pneumonia, and gave me zithromax and another abx (I'm blanking on the name, it's a common one). Now it's been 3 more weeks and I've been coughing so much, I broke a rib. It feels like I'm being STABBED.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllp.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM

I had great success with acupuncture and cupping to treat a cough - I think I had whooping cough.
#3 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM

That sounds like pertussis. Take Sodium Ascorbate to bowel tolerance. Even if it's not pertussis, that will probably help.

<>< Alison
#4 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Can I take that with bf'ing? I figure I probably can, just checking...

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 PM

Yes, it's fine with breastfeeding. I take it whenever I or my son get a cold.

<>< Alison
#6 of 13 Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 PM

I have no advice but wanted to offer a . I broke several ribs many, many years ago from coughing so much when I had pneumonia.

Oh, maybe I do have a suggestion.... have you ever tried a mustard plaster to loosen the mucus in your lungs so that you can get rid of it easier?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#7 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just got a chest xray, and I do not have a broken rib, but I do still have "severe" pneumonia. I'm not coughing as hard as I was but... I just feel like crap. Thoughts?

treehugger.gif Erika
#8 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 PM

When I am very sick, I take a couple of grams of Vit C in the am, then 1 gram every hour. I also take elderberry, extra Vitamin A (you can take very large doses for a few days without ill effects, but don't do it if you're pregnant), and this stuff called ProBoost, which is like a calf thymus protein that is an immune stimulant.
I have heard about mustard plasters too, I'd try that. Also look up something that is supposed to help drain the mucus, I think ou lay down hanging off the side of a bed slightly, and have someone clap on our back. I think older people used to do things like this all the time. I have a book called Take Charge of Your Child's Health by George Wootan that describes this.
Hope ou're feeling better soon.
#9 of 13 Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
I just got a chest xray, and I do not have a broken rib, but I do still have "severe" pneumonia. I'm not coughing as hard as I was but... I just feel like crap. Thoughts?

My understanding with pneumonia is that you want to cough so that you can get that crap out of your lungs. My doc has always told me not to take a cough suppressent. I have had pneumonia twice over the past three years and this is what I have been told each time. The mustard plaster would break up the crap so that you can get rid of it.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#10 of 13 Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just did a mustard plaster for 15 minutes... OUCH! My dh said it burned his eyes while he was making it up for me!

Hopefully will be better soon. Today marks 4w since symptoms started

treehugger.gif Erika
#11 of 13 Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomaYula View Post
Just did a mustard plaster for 15 minutes... OUCH! My dh said it burned his eyes while he was making it up for me!

Hopefully will be better soon. Today marks 4w since symptoms started
I should have mentioned that you should put in on at night with a tight t-shirt and leave it on for the night. And yes, it can burn your skin!

#12 of 13 Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

The recipe I used said most people can usually only stand it for about 10 minutes at a time (I did 15 min) and had it on a towel which was against my chest. It was totally burning despite the towel. I don't know how I could do it all night -- I'm bf'ing a lot at night, and I just don't think I could sleep with that feeling and the smell! :Puke

treehugger.gif Erika
#13 of 13 Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Did the recipe tell you to mix one part flour with one part dry mustard? If not, you should and that will decrease the burn and if you did do that, you could add a bit more flour. Seriously though, I had pneumonia two winters ago and the doc wanted to admit me to the hospital but dd was only 9 and we have no family here to look after her and the friends that I had at that time were too wrapped in their own stuff to be of any use so I went home and on the advice of my doc and my mom, I did a mustard plaster for two nights and you would not believe the stuff that I coughed up. I then continued to improve.

I know the nursing will impact how long you can leave it on though.

I hope you feel better soon.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page