Mothering Forum banner

Pink Eye

723 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  merpk 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Hope someone here can help me as I have no dealings with this type of thing. I think I might have pink eye
:
It just cropped up this morning. I showed my eye to a girl at my Chiro and she said it looks like it might be and that it is highly contagious. My 20 year old just came up with the same symptoms this afternoon. Except her eye is painful and mine is not. Mine is real red especially in the corner near my nose, looks like the blood vessels burst or something, and there is this cream colored discharge. I thought maybe it was a sinus thing as my throat has been sore for the past few days and I have had nasal congestion.

I am soooo worried my 6 month old may get this. I just got done reading a little about pink eye and I read that sometimes you need oral antibiotics to help clear it up. My biggest concern is the baby, IF he gets it, would he have to have a oral antibiotic, I really would rather avoid that route if possible because I know antibiotics can wreak havoc on his system. He is currently on a probiotic though if he HAS to have antibiotics.
Also I saw some homepathic type pink eye drops at Walgreens, has anone ever tried this? Does anyone have any suggestions or home remedies maybe?
I have no idea how I got this stuff, I have not been around anyone with it I am aware of. I was told it is so contagious you can get it just about anyplace.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. I would also appreciate any help anyone can give me in reagrds to the baby should he get it.

Also, can pets get it pink eye from a human?

Thanks so much.....

See less See more
#2 ·
I have recently cured two bouts of pink eye with over the counter contact lens solution for soft contacts. Just make sure it has boric acid in it. (I used Opti Free) I flooded my eyes 4-6 times a day for a week. The symptoms were gone within a day or two.

If you do a search for "pink eye" on here you'll find more threads with the same advice!

#3 ·
Are you bfing? If so, express a bit of milk and drop it in your eye. We've also had success with Euphrasia and hot water on a cloth held on the eye (be vigilant about washing cloth thoroughly after use). Pink eye is frequently viral or yeast based, so that's one of the reasons I'm not keen on the idea of abx for it.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I ended up going to the doc. but it was pretty much clearing up before i went, I just went to be sure it was what it was since I never had it before and was real worried about passing it on to the baby. I had gotten some over the counter pink eye drops that apparantly is a new product, it helps with the symptoms, it did seem to help some. The doc gave me antibiotic eye drops that I used a couple times but now it seems to be pretty much gone. I did wash all the bedding and everything in hot water to be sure it did not get passed around and I disenfected pretty much the whole house...lol
My oldest daughter's pink eye was clearing up even before mine, she had hers for about 2 days and on third day you could not even tell she had it. She had a milder case it seemed as my eyes were pretty much red, red, and hers was a light pink.

I still cannot figure out how I got it

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

#5 ·
Breastmilk. Breastmilk. Breastmilk. If there is any chance you are nursing, this will cure it. DS gets this all the time from daycare and BM cures it almost overnight. Never had to have eye drops or abx. I had an eye infection recently and put BM in my own eye and it cleared it up overnight. It really is amazing stuff!

#7 ·
Our doctor had told us that basically pinkeye is just a cold that settles in your eye. You know, like you get a cold that's in your chest, or your sinus, or whatever ... this is a cold in your eye. Period. End of sentence.

It's as contagious as a cold is.

So treat it like a cold. Wash your hands when necessary, and don't get too close to other folks. And drink lots of fluids and get as much rest as possible.

Drugs are entirely (in his opinion) unnecessary.

If you have a baby/kids, then wash your hands as often as possible without totally being neurotic & nuts about it. And don't rub your eye, or rub it on them. And it'll really be okay.

And he was right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.