Healing The Gut Tribe! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 457 Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still here, but totally bummed out on the gut/allergy front and have come close to giving up. For 3 weeks now I've been trying to convince myself to start over - perhaps even go back on a TED, but I'm just not getting there.

I do feel about a million times better though when I take my enzymes, and my chemical sensitivity might be decreasing a bit (or I'm just better at avoiding, idk)

I'm sorry the enzymes have been so crummy for you, CS, I'll go post in your thread

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#422 of 457 Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
I'm still here, but totally bummed out on the gut/allergy front and have come close to giving up. For 3 weeks now I've been trying to convince myself to start over - perhaps even go back on a TED, but I'm just not getting there.
I'm sorry... that sucks. I've started over more times than I can count, so I know how bummed out you are.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#423 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 AM

I must first say the I haven't even begun to read the 22 pages here, but I need some advice/ help. My daughter was just diagnosed with leaky gut. She is 19 months old. Since she was a timy babe, she has had rashes all over her body that come and go. They never bother her, but they look like yeast rashes. From my understanding, all the probiotics I was giving her were making the rashes worse. Is this right? Where do I begin to heal her leaky gut?
#424 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I must first say the I haven't even begun to read the 22 pages here, but I need some advice/ help. My daughter was just diagnosed with leaky gut. She is 19 months old. Since she was a timy babe, she has had rashes all over her body that come and go. They never bother her, but they look like yeast rashes. From my understanding, all the probiotics I was giving her were making the rashes worse. Is this right? Where do I begin to heal her leaky gut?
I really hope we have some discussion about this. I think that the same thing happened to us. I was giving my 4 yo high dose probiotics over the summer, and I think that they actually made it worse, over time. Firefaery said one time something like, just pelting the body with a bunch of probiotics is not always the answer, and can be counterproductive. So I really want to figure out more if I am doing the things now to get to the root of the problem, which I know is that he initially had a bacterial imbalance from a course of abx.
#425 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 PM

I would also enjoy a discussion about this

there is so much info out there and a lot of it is conflicting, overwhelming etc;

I would think that including probiotic foods such as real yogurt, kefir, kombucha, fermented/lactic acid veggies etc; would be a gentle natural way to re-colonize the gut and at the same time probably staying away from foods that irritate the gut lining, known allergens, or if someone has yeast, foods that would encourage yeast growth etc;

I would love to hear more about mamas giving probiotics that have helped their lo. Like which ones actually help re-colonize etc; how they work together with digestive enzymes, which ones etc;
I just recently started adding "bio k" ( it's like soy/dairy ferment/ yogurt) to my kids smoothie everyday. been doing this for about 2 weeks now, I havn't seen any bad reactions. My kids usually have this for breakfast, with blueberries, strawberries, milk egg yokes etc; I was adding one bio k for a smoothie for 3 kids.... I don't think it's to much.
#426 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Was it a dairy-based probiotic? That would be my first thought, since most are dairy-based, and dairy is the most common food allergy in babes. Have you done an elimination diet to see which foods bother her? Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info.

#427 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Was it a dairy-based probiotic? That would be my first thought, since most are dairy-based, and dairy is the most common food allergy in babes. Have you done an elimination diet to see which foods bother her? Check out my blog (link in sig) for more info.
I think that also FOS and inulin seem to be troublesome for some. They are for us, though for others it seems to help. We could not tolerate it though, it gave both my guys gas and tummy pain.
#428 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
I would think that including probiotic foods such as real yogurt, kefir, kombucha, fermented/lactic acid veggies etc; would be a gentle natural way to re-colonize the gut and at the same time probably staying away from foods that irritate the gut lining, known allergens, or if someone has yeast, foods that would encourage yeast growth etc;

I think this is true to some extent, but if you are dealing with a bacterial imbalance or yeast that was caused by some external force upsetting the balance (like we had a round of strong abx that did it) then you need more. I just think that when we start altering the environent in those ways, like sudden extreme jolt of abx, it might take more for some of us to get back to homeostasis.
#429 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 PM

After some research I think I am going to start the following program, though not ordering from her links as they are super costly. I want to fast and cleanes then start a candida diet. If you know anything about can you look at the link and tell me if it is missing anything? A local friend said I will need enzymes, but when would I add those? She thinks I should work on killing the yeast and replacing it with probiotics for a month and then do the enzymes. But it was my understanding I could be working to kill this infection in my body for many months. She also thinks she can take some pills and not change her diet at all and drop ten pounds and be done with the problem....

I am confused!

Anyway, this is my plan so far is it ok?

http://www.chirokelly.com/detox/candida.html

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#430 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
As for probiotics, I was giving her raw 12-24 hour yogurt, and fermented veggies. But her rashes get worse and better on and off not always at the same time as her eating the probiotics. I was shocked that a baby would get leaky gut. We eat really good, following a pretty traditional food diet. I introduced foods around 7 months, and I was very careful about what it was when I did. But she had the rashes before then. Then I had her allergy tested, and she tested fine to dairy as long as it was raw, and wheat as long as it was soured (not sprouted funny thing). But we only eat raw dairy made into yogurt or kefir, or sourdough breads. So that couldn't be the culprit. The only other major allergy was cabbage. I ate tons of homemade sauerkraut while I was pregnant, and that was one of her first foods. I thought that it was really healthy, and I let her eat as much as she wanted (and she ate alot!)
I think that gave her the leaky gut, and I gave her the yeast. She has yeast issues, and because of her leaky gut, the probiotics never manage to get to her intestines where the yeast lies. I put her on a Standard Process supplemnt that is supposed to heal her gut, and it seemed to do wonders and the rashes cleared up for about a week. Then they came back worse than ever. Then my mother (a homeopath) gave my DD a remedy that has been clearing up the rashes slowly. I just feel like I am missing something.

My DD has also been a slow teether, and I learned that all the calcuim she was intaking, wasn't getting to the right places because of her leaky gut. After starting on the homeopathic remedy, she got 8 teeth in 2 weeks, and more are emerging.

We don't eat any of her other allergy foods such as sugar, honey, and soy so she should be getting better. What more do I do?
#431 of 457 Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 PM

Bluebirdmama, check out this thread about allergies and yeast: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=941070

Kontessa, you might check the same thread, Calm has written some similar protocals regarding candida cleanses, and address kids and nursing.

mombh, xekomaya, tolovemercy, mbravebird, ladies we are all gathering on the other thread daily. It is nearly 500 posts long. But, informative and dynamic. There are a lot of folks working to heal the gut from the 'attack the yeast, first' pov.

I'm more of a add what heals you-gal. But, the ladies there are suffering and wanting to address the root of the gut concerns, along with healing. It is an interesting perspective to consider, if you have yeast, eczema, allergies, asthma...

Pat

I have a blog.
#432 of 457 Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 AM

Checking in....
For myself I have started the Candex. Initially I had some weird headaches and stomach stuff, but that passed over a few days. Today was my first day of 2 pills in the morning and so far, so good. I wish I could say my diet was 100%, but I slacked a little. My gut must be getting better because when I slack I'm not reacting as much as before and I love that my ears don't itch(nipples too but that's probably TMI )

For my DD she's doing much better. Since starting the enzymes she has started talking much more. And as long as I keep her blood sugar stable her moods are great(for the most part, she is 2.5 so there are still some times for frustration). She's been on Candex for about a month, with no reactions. I'm wondering if 1/2 a capsule 2x a day is enough for her; she's 28 lbs. I haven't done any antifungals, hoping to avoid them. She still gets some bread and when she stayed with grandma last weekend she came back with a really bloated belly and juice in her sippy, so there is still a bunch of work to do in educating the family and helaing her gut. She's gotten used to oj with her supplements and she's reacting with a red ring around her anus and from her vulva down (sorry TMI). I just wish dh wouldn't buy it anymore so I wouldn't have to have the battle. I'm hoping its the citrus, she used to get them while she was bf whenever I had oj, but I won't know for sure till I stop the oj.

Question: How long should I keep her on the candex, and is 1/2 a capsule 2x a day enough? How long should I keep her on milk thistle? And is the bloated belly yeast, or could it be something else?
#433 of 457 Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 PM

I need help. I'm feeling too bad to read alot of the thread right now. I have celiac disease and have been having major GI problems, and other stuff, despite not getting 'glutened'. I think I may have leaky gut or some other problem. I am breastfeeding and think I may need to wean to take care of my issues. Can someone tell me where to start?

Symptoms
my whole GI tract hurts (non specific pain)
constipation unless i take cal-mag
don't digest meat well
excessively GASSY no matter what
acne that will not clear up, even with topical medication or diet change
hot flashes at night
tired alot but can't sleep well at night. i wake up at about 3-4am no matter what time I go to bed
reactive hypoglycemia

I have been to a naturopath that, without my giving info, correctly indicated to me that my thyroid may be giving me trouble, I may be deficient in iodine, may have liver flukes or something similar, my left ovary is weak and my cycle is erratic and my left adrenal area hurts sometimes. He used a muscle test and tooth-organ chart to get all that. I am not sure if it matters, but I really need some help.
#434 of 457 Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
I need help. I'm feeling too bad to read alot of the thread right now. I have celiac disease and have been having major GI problems, and other stuff, despite not getting 'glutened'. I think I may have leaky gut or some other problem. I am breastfeeding and think I may need to wean to take care of my issues. Can someone tell me where to start?

Symptoms
my whole GI tract hurts (non specific pain)
constipation unless i take cal-mag
don't digest meat well
excessively GASSY no matter what
acne that will not clear up, even with topical medication or diet change
hot flashes at night
tired alot but can't sleep well at night. i wake up at about 3-4am no matter what time I go to bed
reactive hypoglycemia

I have been to a naturopath that, without my giving info, correctly indicated to me that my thyroid may be giving me trouble, I may be deficient in iodine, may have liver flukes or something similar, my left ovary is weak and my cycle is erratic and my left adrenal area hurts sometimes. He used a muscle test and tooth-organ chart to get all that. I am not sure if it matters, but I really need some help.
Have you cut out dairy as well as gluten? Many people with Celiac find they react to both.
That's about the extent of my usefulness, sorry.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#435 of 457 Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 AM

jhow32000,

I am sorry you are feeling so sick. What are you eating? Do you know about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)? Many people with celiac who do not improve on just a gluten-free diet, have found that diet to be better for them. In fact, it was the original diet for celiac disease years and years ago before gluten had been isolated as the protein in wheat.

You can read enough about it online to start the intro diet without reading the whole book, if you are desperate for something right away, but I would recommend reading the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

Also, you can do it without dairy, if you think that may be part of it. Though I know some people who could never tolerate dairy, but then they could tolerate the 24 hour yogurt after being on SCD for some time.

HTH
#436 of 457 Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
OK, ladies, I think I need some help. I've read the cheat sheet and about 1/3 of this thread, at different points of the thread. But if you could just take a gander at my story and share your thoughts, I'd be grateful. I'm newly pregnant, so all of a sudden this stuff is taking on new meaning for me, and I really want to figure out what's happening and heal.

I've never really had obvious gut symptoms (although now that I'm having some I am remembering that ds had a little bit of eczema when he was a few months old. It went away maybe around six months old? Can't quite remember.) But aside from that, as an adult I've never had yeast symptoms, allergy symptoms, etc. My mother says I had some eczema when I was little, but it went away. My mother definitely has a leaky gut, though, with psoriasis, etc. When I was little she just had eczema.

OK, fast forward to a few months ago, when all of a sudden I had an extremely, extremely painful bout of intestinal pain, which turned out to be an intestinal blockage from what looked like parasites to me. (When I treated for Parasites with herbs and Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth, I passed a large lump that had several pinworms and a massive lump hardened stool). Long story short, I've had leaky gut symptoms ever since I passed that mass/lump. All my other parasitic-type symptoms went away immediately (anal itching and abdominal pain), and my bowel movements have been normal since then. My stools are a 3 or a 4 on that scale Jane S posted. But it seems to me like, when that hard stool, which was parasite-colonized, came out, maybe it created a particularly leaky spot in my gut? Damaged the gut in that place? Because the day after I passed the "mass", I suddenly got a spot of eczema on my eyelid. I've never, ever had that in my adult life. I have been experimenting, and it seems like it comes when I eat unsoaked grains or white flour. (My diet is mostly TF, but I stray sometimes.)

So I upped my bone broth, adding extra gelatin to it, and upped the coconut oil. I already take probiotics and drink raw kefir. Then I'd test some unsoaked grains, to see if I was still reacting on the eyelid, and I would react some but not as much as I was before. So I was thinking, OK, I can heal this.

But in the midst of all this my anal itching has returned. Not as much as it used to be, but some. And I just got some raw cow's milk (we used to have just goat milk), and after a day of that all of a sudden I have a spot of eczema behind my ear! I'm freaking out a bit, because I'm newly pregnant, and I'm realizing that I really need this to be getting better, not worse. I don't want to foist issues on my babe if I can at all avoid it.

So, do you think this is all parasites? Do I still have them if the itching is back? Is the itching not parasites but yeast? Do I have hope of healing this over the next 8 months, enough so that my babe will be spared? Any advice would be appreciated. This is what I'm doing now:

--Daily bone broth with added gelatin
--Daily raw kefir (both goat and cow milks)
--Probiotic (primal defense brand)
--I was doing 2 TBS coconut oil, but it is currently making me gag due to morning sickness. If you all think that's really important, I can get it down anyway.
--HVCLO (fermented)
--my diet is mostly TF.

I'm not taking enzymes, and could use some guidance about that. And do I need a different, more effective probiotic supplement?

Even when I'm not feeling itchy, I can still see irritation in the folds of my anal area (sorry if that's tmi). I'm wondering if that's indicative of what the entire GI tract is looking like?

Sigh. Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks for reading.
mbravebird,
Wow, that is interesting that you knew what to do with the blockage. How did you know what to do to make that pass? How did you know to treat for parasites?
I think being pregnant can make you more prone to yeast issues, so I would be extra careful with diet, since you may be kind of just teetering on that. Maybe eat only soaked/sprouted grains if you are going to eat grains, no sugar, etc. I would probably back off the cow's milk if you think that implicated in the appearance of one of your spots of eczema. You can always try it again a bit later.
#437 of 457 Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM

I have never seen this thread before.

I have had a lot of issues with the gut and the overall feeling of not feeling well, some symptoms more extreme and others not as much.

I have found the root of my issues tends to fall back on my sporatic overactive hyperthyroidism.

When I slow down the insides a bit all the other impacted things behave much better.

I have only read a couple of the beginning posts so my replies are not really directed to any one person, just stepping up to say hey --- I am a card holding member to the Ostomy Society and understand stubborn guts.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#438 of 457 Old 11-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
jhow32000,

I am sorry you are feeling so sick. What are you eating? Do you know about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)? Many people with celiac who do not improve on just a gluten-free diet, have found that diet to be better for them. In fact, it was the original diet for celiac disease years and years ago before gluten had been isolated as the protein in wheat.

You can read enough about it online to start the intro diet without reading the whole book, if you are desperate for something right away, but I would recommend reading the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

Also, you can do it without dairy, if you think that may be part of it. Though I know some people who could never tolerate dairy, but then they could tolerate the 24 hour yogurt after being on SCD for some time.

HTH
Yes, in fact, I have been on the SCD multiple times. Some things don't seem to clear up for me. Like my skin/acne. Also, I am confused mainly because the things it tells you to eat on SCD are to be avoided in leaky gut. As I have read that if you have celiac you are likely to have leaky gut, I figured that may be a reason for my persistent acne. Also, I just started up the SCD again and was having terrible gassiness and overall GI pain my 2nd week in.
I do better without dairy and try to avoid it. When I am on it , it is raw cow's milk, usu 24 hr yogurt.

The leaky gut diet says to avoid:
sugar
gluten
alcohol (legal in SCD)
vinegar
a lot of fruit
dairy (legal in SCD)
ferments/ yogurt (legal in SCD)
caffine (legal in SCD)
dried fruit (legal in SCD)
canned fruit (legal in SCD)

leaky gut diet say to eat:
veggies
grains (illegal in SCD)
legumes
nuts
seeds
garlic
fruit/veg juice
essential fatty acids
water
meat
eggs
stevia (illegal in SCD)

Hence my confusion. I eat mostly fruits, veggies, cheese, yogurt, berries, nuts when I can get them raw, meat, eggs. Occaisionally I'll cheat and have gf chex or baked goods on special occaisions. I really don't even want to cheat I'm so miserable. If someone can tell me what diet to stick to I'd be much better off having some direction.
#439 of 457 Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 AM

Well, there is definitely no one diet for everyone. You have to do whatever feels right for you. If a certain diet is not working, then you have to re-evaluate. However, I am not sure what you mean by a "leaky gut" diet. Grains are very hard to digest, gluten or no gluten, especially the way they are typically prepared in our country, without soaking or sprouting them, which makes grains somewhat more digestible. How long were you on SCD each time? It often is like two steps forward, one step back, with anything. We did the diet years ago when my first son was young, and although we saw overnight improvement initially, there were setbacks along the way. I wonder if there could have been other things you needed, in addition to scd, like enzymes, or certian probiotics, that could have helped more.

As far as what's legal on SCD, if you can't tolerate certain things, you would just leave them out. Things like a lot of canned fruit and dried fruit may not be tolerated by everyone, probably wouldn't be tolerated by most, especially not in the beginning. And with dairy, it is only certain types of cheese, and the 24-hour yogurt, but I know that some people don't tolerate it at all, so they just leave that out. Plus, I think you really have to stick to it, and occassionally having some chex cereal, even if it's gf, does not work.

I mean, really, all the things you listed as being legal on SCD, are all things that a lot of people cannot tolerate on that diet for a long time, if at all. And the two things you listed for leaky gut diet that are not on scd, grains and stevia, well, grains are just hard to digest for a lot of people.

I think you have to just think about what seems to make the most sense to you, thinking about how you feel when you eat a certain way, and maybe stick to one particular plan for at least a month or two. Then you can look back and say, Am I a little bit better, a lot better, or worse? Then you can make changes.

I feel like I am rambling, but hope some of that is helpful.
#440 of 457 Old 11-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Hey all I am joing in.
I have been through a lot of health challenges that past few years but I am healing..I seriously need to heal my gut though. I have already done TF for 2 years

Here is my puzzle--
-I still have multiple food sensitivites (gluten, dairy, eggs, tomatoes mainly)
-I had really high IgA for glianden
-I made very minor improvments in ferritin levels even after tons of red meat and supplementing. My hemogloblin levels are good, but if I miss meat for 2 days I get anemic feeling and get very bruised.
-I have floating stools
-I have had an uncomfortable feeling in my lower right abdominal area for a few years. I had an ovarian cyct there which burst a few weeks ago that my obgyn found (there was just fluid on the ultrasound) but I still have this feeling there so maybe it is something else.
-My gallbladder (liver?) area has started to feel uncomfortable now the past few days!

Does anyone think I have celiac disease? When I searched some of the symptoms this came up. I guess whatever my issue I need to heal the gut so I am not sure if diagnising really matters.

Here is what I am doing
-Starting GAPS diet on Nov 28 (I have been transitioning into this)-lots of broth, ferments, liver.
-I am making sour water kefir for more probiotics.
-Digestive enzymes with and between meals (Do you think these are good? http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Pancreat...estive-Enzymes or should I be taking something else...HELP!)
-Dandelion root tea, ginger tea between meals
-clo and extra D
-I take a B-complex, zinc, borage oil, c with bioflavonoids, K2. Magnesuim as needed.

Thanks! I will be posting a lot more to this thread in a week.
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#441 of 457 Old 11-23-2008, 04:37 AM

this has probably already been posted, but i have to say that the best solution i have found so far is this program. another mama on mothering and irl passed it on to me and i've been on it for nearly a month with great progress so far. i have been trying to heal terrible eczema, digestive issues, food sensitivities, frequent uti's and yeast infections, some asthma, for years. i see an amazing naturopath in vancouver bc, dr.hal brown, who took care of all of this really well...but still the finer points weren't done with. one thing he did that healed so much was to end my years of vegetarianism, and take me off of grains and sugar completely. i still felt that i had candida issues and have tried different cleanses with little avail. still addicted to sugar!

i highly recommend bee's program. so far i've healed my tongue, which has had awful welts of candida for a long time, and now if my 3 year old wants to snuggle on top of me to sleep, my belly doesn't hurt anymore. it is very strict, but very clear, which i find helpful when wading through all of the information out there! there's a great yahoo group as well. so far so good.

i'll check back soon and let you know how things are going, but if you do have time to read bee's site, i think it could contribute a lot to the discussion here.

#442 of 457 Old 11-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Hey all I am joing in.
I have been through a lot of health challenges that past few years but I am healing..I seriously need to heal my gut though. I have already done TF for 2 years

Here is my puzzle--
-I still have multiple food sensitivites (gluten, dairy, eggs, tomatoes mainly)
-I had really high IgA for glianden
-I made very minor improvments in ferritin levels even after tons of red meat and supplementing. My hemogloblin levels are good, but if I miss meat for 2 days I get anemic feeling and get very bruised.
-I have floating stools
-I have had an uncomfortable feeling in my lower right abdominal area for a few years. I had an ovarian cyct there which burst a few weeks ago that my obgyn found (there was just fluid on the ultrasound) but I still have this feeling there so maybe it is something else.
-My gallbladder (liver?) area has started to feel uncomfortable now the past few days!

Does anyone think I have celiac disease? When I searched some of the symptoms this came up. I guess whatever my issue I need to heal the gut so I am not sure if diagnising really matters.

Here is what I am doing
-Starting GAPS diet on Nov 28 (I have been transitioning into this)-lots of broth, ferments, liver.
-I am making sour water kefir for more probiotics.
-Digestive enzymes with and between meals (Do you think these are good? http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Pancreat...estive-Enzymes or should I be taking something else...HELP!)
-Dandelion root tea, ginger tea between meals
-clo and extra D
-I take a B-complex, zinc, borage oil, c with bioflavonoids, K2. Magnesuim as needed.

Thanks! I will be posting a lot more to this thread in a week.
Jen
gluten intolerance and celiac disease can mess up the sphincter of Oddi which controls release of bile out of the gallbladder. symptoms are general pain in the right chest, but pressing on the liver/gallbladder pressure points can relieve those spasmy pains. a digestive enzyme for fats can relieve that feeling - use something for lipase and related enzymes. if you mix dandelion root with chicory root for tea, you can really relieve the liver congestion - though i'm not sure about problems you use this regularly. does anyone know?

how is your iodine intake? you might consider incorporating dulse or kelp into your diet somehow.

i'd actually suggest a homeopathic remedy before anything else particularly to address the abdominal pain.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#443 of 457 Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks bluets. I use sea salt already but I will incorporate more dulse/kelp(What made you suggest those? I am just curious.)

I am doing the dandelion root and will look into a chickory mix. You can do it for 4 weeks and then take a break for 2 weeks I think. It was safe for BFing on kellymom.

The digestive enzymes I am taking have lipase 12,000 units of activity. Mabe I need more lipase? My MIL had this pain too and she said it went away after being diligent with probiotics and enzymes, esecially the NOW super enzymes (maybe I will try those instead). She said she needs the Benatine HCI for the pain to stop...maybe me too?

artparent-I am not sure of you were suggesting Bee's candida deit to me
I have no yeast type issues even though was was on a lot of abx in the past. If the Gaps thing does not go well I may try a candida type approach but I don't want to make my life really hard unless I must I feel like GAPS is a really good fit at this time...it just makes a lot of sense to me.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#444 of 457 Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 PM

newcastlemama - some of your skin conditions might indicate iodine insufficiency, at least homeopathically. go to http://www.abchomeopathy.com and enter in all your seemingly disconnected issues - it might give you new directions to check out.

a year or so ago, my dh had a bunch of conditions that indicated homeopathic treatment with secale (the gluten grain rye) - which got me thinking about gluten intolerance for him. this year (why does he never listen to me) he went through a heap of testing for gallbladder issues only to find out he had borderline gallbladder dysfunction. after wading through pubmed, i decided that he needed to shift to a GF life. had he listened to me a year ago we'd be a few thousand dollars richer (Well, maybe not coz we prolly woulda invested it in the mutual fund...).

as for the dandelion-chicory mix, check out mountain rose herbs herbal tea called "herbal coffee". or just do a decoction of 1:1 dandelion:chicory - there are nice recipes for these drinks in Garden of Eating.

oh, dh uses Enzymedica's Lypo Gold product with much success. i think the best price is at luckyvitamins.com

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#445 of 457 Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Wow, I was just curious about iodine insufficiency, so I just googled that and found this:

http://www.mbschachter.com/iodine.htm

Very interesting stuff!
#446 of 457 Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Wow, I was just curious about iodine insufficiency, so I just googled that and found this:

http://www.mbschachter.com/iodine.htm

Very interesting stuff!
That's a great article! I had been wondering about that issue, too, and that article really summarized it well.

Just an update on me, in case it helps anyone else out there --

I have traced my symptoms back to an egg sensitivity. My main symptom, the anal itching, went away entirely when, due to my morning sickness, I stopped eating eggs. I would gag whenever I even thought about an egg. With them gone from my diet, the itching and inflammation went away. I had some eggs the other day just to test it, and the next day the itching and bleeding were back. So no eggs for me! The eczema only came that one day, and is gone now too.

The itching started about a year ago, so I must have developed the sensitivity around then, and my intestines being in that inflamed state for so long must have allowed the parasites to grab hold. I am much more confident, now that I know to eliminate eggs, that I can heal my gut with all of the things I've been doing. I think before that the broth, etc, was helping, but then I'd eat an egg and it would all just go to waste. I'm hopeful now that things will be OK. Thank you to my wise pregnant body that refused to let me eat them!

That's all for now.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#447 of 457 Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM

That's great mbravebird! It's always nice to figure out a piece of the puzzle.

#448 of 457 Old 11-26-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
That's a great article! I had been wondering about that issue, too, and that article really summarized it well.

Just an update on me, in case it helps anyone else out there --

I have traced my symptoms back to an egg sensitivity. My main symptom, the anal itching, went away entirely when, due to my morning sickness, I stopped eating eggs. I would gag whenever I even thought about an egg. With them gone from my diet, the itching and inflammation went away. I had some eggs the other day just to test it, and the next day the itching and bleeding were back. So no eggs for me! The eczema only came that one day, and is gone now too.

The itching started about a year ago, so I must have developed the sensitivity around then, and my intestines being in that inflamed state for so long must have allowed the parasites to grab hold. I am much more confident, now that I know to eliminate eggs, that I can heal my gut with all of the things I've been doing. I think before that the broth, etc, was helping, but then I'd eat an egg and it would all just go to waste. I'm hopeful now that things will be OK. Thank you to my wise pregnant body that refused to let me eat them!

That's all for now.
Thank you for sharing this!

My gallbladder pain started a week ago when I started using alot mayo and avocadoes (both allergens for me) again....I am hoping that is what triggered that pain and that it will stop soon. I am probably going to have to cut out butter as well to heal. I think I am one of those people too who won't be able to heal with allergens in my diet even though I take tons of broth/clo ect...oh well.

I am going to see my naturopath/homeopath today about my allergy/gallbladder issue. Thanks for even more info bluets..I really appreciate it!

Jen

#449 of 457 Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Thank you for sharing this!

My gallbladder pain started a week ago when I started using alot mayo and avocadoes (both allergens for me) again....I am hoping that is what triggered that pain and that it will stop soon. I am probably going to have to cut out butter as well to heal. I think I am one of those people too who won't be able to heal with allergens in my diet even though I take tons of broth/clo ect...oh well.

I am going to see my naturopath/homeopath today about my allergy/gallbladder issue. Thanks for even more info bluets..I really appreciate it!

Jen
Ouch! I hope you get this taken care of. I have terrible gallbladder attacks and almost had it taken out until I found a naturopath that healed my gallbladder. Later I would get tenderness in that area, but it was always after I ate either store bought almond butter or honey (even raw). I recently took a homeopathic remedy that made my gallbladder ache so much, but then after a few days, it has never felt better. I think there is something to diet and homeopathy at the same time.
#450 of 457 Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Anyone still here???
I was wondering about this lady's program, anyone have any thoughts?
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/candida/index.php

She also has a page on what NOT to use...
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com...es/menu6_2.php

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page