Healing The Gut Tribe! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 457 Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i posted her site earlier in the thread, i've been using her approach for over a month now with great success so far. it is slow healing, but i can really see change, i think i said earlier that i think my digestive system was completely inflamed, for years and years. what i find really different about this program is that she organises nutrition first, eventually anitfungals, at the end probiotics. nutrition is very strict, but far more effective than anything i've done. i usually end up eating a lot of nuts, and eliminating those has been great; also increasing good fats like butter and coconut oil gives me so much energy, although it took some time for my body to get used to it. i've had a patchy tongue for years and it cleared up really quickly. there's a yahoo discussion group. i've tried many different ways to get rid of candida, but this makes the most sense to me. i had a lot of sensitivities - new ones, even, after 4 years with an nd, and i see now that they were healing reactions, and i just need to slowly introduce the foods...good foods like egg and garlic, for example. if you like i can keep you posted on how i do. i still have swollen legs, and a couple of touches of eczema, and if i 'cheat' i can feel a surge of candida having a party - my nd healed most of the eczema, i had it head to toes, with adjustments and supplements, taking me off grains and sugar and cow's milk, and ditching vegetarianism. he has told me in the past to just eat meat and vegetables, but i find her directions much more complete, i think the virgin coconut oil has been critical. i also really love dry-brushing my skin daily, and taking epsom baths, i feel much better though it is winter.

the site is disorganised, it is worth searching for any questions you have as there's so much in there that isn't in the menu at this point. i think bee is incredibly busy supporting a lot of people to heal.

i'd like to be able to eat what i like, to a degree, i think i may need to do this program for a year yet, we'll see. i re-experienced wrist pain i haven't had in 12 years - bee talks about healing reactions chronologically revisiting old illnesses - so i have great hopes that i'm healing back that far. i know another mama who has her whole family on this - so far my partner is joining me, easing into it slowly. he has more sensitivities than i do, so i'm interested to see how he feels in the next while. too bad the holidays are smack in the middle of this!

#452 of 457 Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Is this the last HTG thread?

#453 of 457 Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Well in case anyone appears...

I want to make yogurt. I'm attempting to be on the SCD diet. I got yogurt starter, but then I read that for SCD, yogurt should be made only with acidophilus. Hrm... I don't think I have the patience to source an SCD starter right now, but maybe it would work better to use my probiotics supplement as a starter instead of a yogurt starter. So I'm wondering about quantities, if anyone has any idea about this.

#454 of 457 Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
No idea, but wanted to sub on

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#455 of 457 Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM

Well nevermind... I have learned that some commercial yogurts only use acidophilus as starter and if desired, those should be used. My case isn't THAT severe so I think I will use bifidus for now.

Apparently I have both leaky gut, with a few food sensitivities, and small intestine bacterial overgrowth aka SIBO. A symptom of this is rapid bloating in the middle of the belly rather than the area occupied by the large intestine. So I'm on a regimen of oregano oil capsules that are quite tolerable for a month, for the SIBO. I also had the option of some antibiotics that apparently stay in the small intestines. 

I'm still trying to get into SCD, especially having backup frozen meals and making cooking easier. I feel better on it. I believe I could probably eat a bunch of SCD illegal foods, but I think I'll reintroduce (soaked) grains slowly once everything is settled in, etc. Nightly reflux is taking awhile to dissipate, though.

I just got a dehydrator for drying soaked nuts, and I'm so happy about it. The hazelnuts are delicious. I need to gain weight and nuts have been iffy for me. It's also nice to have another, out of the way yet temperature controlled way to make the 24 hr yogurt.

#456 of 457 Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Sorry, what is SCD?

I wish this thread was more active, like it appears to have been years ago.

I'm fairly new to all of this. So, I don't really know how to diagnose if you have a leaky gut or any other gut issues. I do however know, I've got yeast overgrowth. I had soooo much abx as a child, and drank pretty heavily in my early twenties. So, I take probiotics daily, I'm pregnant so I don't know what else I can safely do about it.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#457 of 457 Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM

SCD is the specific carbohydrate diet, as described in the book "breaking the vicious cycle." There's also a lot of information about it online. Basically you are cutting out certain kinds of carbs that are hard to digest, and which bacteria (and maybe yeast) often ends up eating. Some of these are actually quite healthy for those with healthy digestions.

ABX is antibiotics?

I don't know if this will help you, but I stopped having trouble with yeast entirely (after years of chronic infections) when I stopped using menstrual pads, including natural kinds. I don't really feel comfortable going into details about what I do still use, though, on the internet! Also garlic cloves can be helpful, but you probably already know about that. I had also made a lot of lifestyle changes before that but they hadn't quite done the trick.

Have you read about anti-candida approaches? I once cut out sugars completely, and that helped a lot. However I have a sweet tooth, so that couldn't work over the long term. If you aren't a sugar or carb fixated person, that's a great thing to do. Even if you are, see what you can do to steadily decrease your sugar/carb intake. Start with whatever seems most likely to be the culprit and keep going as necessary.

As I said I don't have trouble with yeast anymore,  but my dad is a skinny diabetic and I have a raging sweet tooth, so I do have to be careful. In SCD I can have honey and dates (don't know exactly why!). So I use raw dessert recipes. My favorite is a "nutella" that is very nut heavy... soaked & dried nuts (hazelnuts or almonds), dates, and virgin coconut oil, blended in the food processor, and spread on apple slices. Raw cocoa is SCD illegal but I still use it in emergencies :P

It can really help to see a Naturopathic Doctor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page