Healing The Gut Tribe! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 457 Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
I was just at the holistic doc today and we were talking about this very thing. He mirrored my thoughts exactly, which are, if there's not much candida to be killed, there's not gonna be much die-off. It's when you feel the die-off that you know a yeast treatment is working. Not everyone who thinks they have a candida problem actually have one. I would take your symptoms as a resounding yes, that you probably do, and wouldn't it be great if that is a big piece to your puzzle and you finally get some answers and make some headway!

Also, I think many many people are not as aware of their bodies as those of us who have done eliminations and dealt with all of that. We are sort of hyper-aware of every single thing and can't imagine why or how everyone else isn't. I am shocked now at what some people consider 'normal', when if it was happening to me I wouldn't think it normal at all.
So true- I do notice every little change in my body now, where I never would have before. I have noticed that the rashes on my legs have been flaring up the past couple days, and I haven't changed my diet... so the yeast must be fighting back! And yes, that would be awesome if this can help make some progress in my gut healing and our food allergies!!
I guess I am just loaded with yeast then. Which always seemed weird to me- if it's that bad, why we've never had any issues with thrush, or vaginal yeast, or anything else.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#122 of 457 Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
 
SAmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Joybird. I think we will start with the NoFenol and AFP for her between meals and then move to Candex or Candidase. I should probably do those between meals as well. I did the Houston ones for a while, did not see any die-off or anything. In a sick way I hope that we are dealing with yeast. We have been looking for answers for so long now, it would just be great to know what we are dealing with and move on that.

For the last week I have been giving dd Eczema Formula of A Vogel. I thought it is a herbal tincture, but then later saw that it says on the bottle that it is a homeopathic remedy. I am so clueless about these things and should probably not mess with them at all. But, this seems to help. On their website it says that the remedy is for liver and kidney health, which is what I think dd needs. So, everybody that sees her remarks on how great her skin looks. Her sleep is terrible, mainly because she is so itchy - it is almost as if her skin is sort of healing and then the old skin is shedding. Hard to explain. Even though her skin looks super dry, it isn't red anymore. Hoping the healing will continue.
SAmama is offline  
#123 of 457 Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
WildIris - your story sounds exactly like mine. I've always been sensitive to chemicals, but after pregnancy everything just went insane. I'm afraid to go anywhere as I often get exposed to something and get sick for 8-10h+ after. All the foods that used to bother me just a little are suddenly giving me full on allergic reactions too.

I'm definitely interested to hear how the Candidase works for you. I've been wondering if what I've got going on is yeast even though we don't have any outward signs of it here. Well, I guess I did have thrush a few months ago, but the dietary changes I made for the allergies/gut healing seemed to take care of it.

Hi Xekomaya,

It's tough, isn't it. I'm at the point now where if I go out in public and get exposed to something, I know I'll be sick for up to two days afterwards. It makes me not want to go anywhere. Tonight I have to go to a high school open house for my oldest DD and I'm dreading it, not knowing what allergens I'll run into there. Sigh.

I will keep you posted on my experience with the Candidase.
WildIris is offline  
#124 of 457 Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 AM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question on chewables or pills for my DD. I spoke with Dr. Houston and he said to use the pills and put them in her food over the chewables as it has "less excipient material in capsules". What do you think?

And what is better for a 28 month old, Candex or Candidase?
BeingMe is offline  
#125 of 457 Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 6,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick back story: Four kids. First two are not allergic. 3rd born with abx during labor. She battled yeast rashes (not thrush or vaginal), eczema, and ultimately, we identified several food allergens. I clearly had leaky gut because she reacted through my milk. Now to a new baby. Born at home, no interventions. I worked on gut-healing his entire pregnancy. He's now showing signs of . . . something. Green mucusy poop that was escalating (first attributed to oald). Within the past few weeks, a small spot of eczema has appeared on his arm. On Thursday, I eliminated wheat and eggs. Eczema mostly cleared (I can see the spot where it was, but it's not raised, not red, it's just kind of shimmery and white). Had a bm and it was mostly normal. I was doing this: THen, the very next day (yesterday) he had a big mucusy poopy diaper. I looked at my food journal for the past two days (Mon and Tue) and I'd eaten the same foods for most of the day: black beans, red peppers, rice, quinoa, and fruit. There was a bit of onion and tomato in all that. The big constants in my diet are beans (many varieties) and raw fruit.

I want to explore this idea that something about the fructose or insoluble fiber I'm consuming in beans and fruit is causing problems for me and ds. I know that fructose malapsorbtion can lead to gut flora imbalance and gas. Beans obviously lead to gas. What I don't know is what exactly is going on in the gut when it comes to digesting beans or other insoluble fibers and how that would transfer to my ds. I lended my SCD book to a friend so I don't have it to look at it. I'm not even sure it addresses what I'm thinking about.

Any thoughts for me? Obviously, undigested food proteins can cause probs for moms and babies, but what about sugars/fiber, and what's the mechanism by which it effects a nursling? Is it only insofar as the gut flora is thrown off by sugars/fiber, or is there more to it?? Of course, it's possible that my ds is having a reaction to the food proteins in the foods I mentioned, but I'm not sure that's the whole picture.

Oh, so I started on a stricter ED yesterday. Last night I had some buckwheat pancakes, and though they were good, a short while later, my stomach started to hurt. What's the connection??
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#126 of 457 Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Candidase report:

So, this is Day 4 on the Candidase for me. I'm taking Digest Gold at the start of every meal, and the Candidase between meals (three times daily). I started with one Candidase capsule at a time and yesterday increased to two capsules at a time.

Noted reactions:
I'm sleeping better at night, but am still very sleepy during the day (taking daytime naps).
Some random headaches, general sense of brain fog.
Feeling kinda cranky, easily irritable.
Random times where I get very very cold; starts with cold hands, cold feet, then full-blown body chill that I can't shake for awhile. (I think this may coincide with taking the Candidase doses but I wasn't paying close enough attention to be sure.)
Occasional mild itchiness, usually on my abdomen or upper thighs. Occasional itchy ears (inside ears).
Occasional slight achiness in my lower left abdomen.
Had a sudden burst of increased libido and sense of wellbeing on Day 2, but didn't last long.
Occasional moments of being more relaxed and feeling like I can breathe easier.
Craving butter like crazy, don't know what that means.
No "digestive" type reactions so far.
WildIris is offline  
#127 of 457 Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Question on chewables or pills for my DD. I spoke with Dr. Houston and he said to use the pills and put them in her food over the chewables as it has "less excipient material in capsules". What do you think?

And what is better for a 28 month old, Candex or Candidase?
Ok I have been trying to answer my question on candex and candidase, and from what I have found I should do the candex. As for protocols to follow, is this a good one?
http://www.betterway2health.com/candidacandex.htm
BeingMe is offline  
#128 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
 
xekomaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Chinese Pistache You've been son helpful to me, I wish I had a good answer for you. I have BTVC in front of me but it doesn't seem to include anything about how this process affects a nursling. It does mention that beans, depending on whether or not they are adequately soaked, can have more complex sugars, so perhaps that is your source of inconsistency? It does also talk about bacterial toxins crossing the blood-brain barrier so that is something else that would pass to breastmilk, if that factors in to the answer to your question.


I think we may actually be seeing some progress over here from water kefir. It's all TMI that I may detail at some time, but I'm starting to think that somehow I lost a huge portion of my gut flora - not just imbalanced but like, gone if thats possible. And I'm seeing some signs that it is coming back so I'm pretty psyched. My only issue is that my kefir grains are near death. Think I'm going to go post in the TF forum to see if anyone can help me save them

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

xekomaya is offline  
#129 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to order some water kefir grains and start that too...

Ladies, I'm really stressed about this Candex situation still and need some advice. The last 2 days have been like one tantrum after another (from DD, not me. ) Obviously, DD is getting something from my leaky gut that is bothering her. I'm almost positive that she's not reacting to a food (poops are the same, skin is the same, and my diet hasn't changed), but she's been sleeping like sh!t and just crabby as hell. So something is going on. The only thing I can attribute it to is my die-off from the Candex.

So what do I do? I really can't convince myself that this a good thing to do if it is affecting DD this way. But I don't know what my other options are.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#130 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:40 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ladies, I'm really stressed about this Candex situation still and need some advice. The last 2 days have been like one tantrum after another (from DD, not me. ) Obviously, DD is getting something from my leaky gut that is bothering her. I'm almost positive that she's not reacting to a food (poops are the same, skin is the same, and my diet hasn't changed), but she's been sleeping like sh!t and just crabby as hell. So something is going on. The only thing I can attribute it to is my die-off from the Candex.

So what do I do? I really can't convince myself that this a good thing to do if it is affecting DD this way. But I don't know what my other options are.
If the Candex is causing die-off, the yeasts would be releasing toxins into your body and some could be reabsorbed--that could be the mechanism for what's causing your daughter's irritability. I've seen irritability in both my kids when their circulating toxins increased (increased beyond the rate at which they can excrete it). If that's what's going on (could be something else, I don't have the knowledge to know, but I wanted to share in case it seems right), what I did for my kids was increasing their vitC to bowel tolerance (is there a brand that you can tolerate?) and I gave them modifilan, a seaweed product. I love it for sopping up toxins, it's helped us out on multiple occasions. Other folks have used activated charcoal, I think, but I'm not sure how that works.

If it's toxins, the other way, I think, would be to decrease the dose until the amount of toxins you're dealing with is less and your body and hers can keep up and then slowly see if you can increase it.

Best wishes in figuring it out.
tanyalynn is offline  
#131 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 AM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I need to order some water kefir grains and start that too...

Ladies, I'm really stressed about this Candex situation still and need some advice. The last 2 days have been like one tantrum after another (from DD, not me. ) Obviously, DD is getting something from my leaky gut that is bothering her. I'm almost positive that she's not reacting to a food (poops are the same, skin is the same, and my diet hasn't changed), but she's been sleeping like sh!t and just crabby as hell. So something is going on. The only thing I can attribute it to is my die-off from the Candex.

So what do I do? I really can't convince myself that this a good thing to do if it is affecting DD this way. But I don't know what my other options are.
Any chance just by coincidence she started teething? Just because that happened right when my DD started ahomeopathic remedy and I thought it was the remedy.
BeingMe is offline  
#132 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 AM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
If the Candex is causing die-off, the yeasts would be releasing toxins into your body and some could be reabsorbed--that could be the mechanism for what's causing your daughter's irritability. I've seen irritability in both my kids when their circulating toxins increased (increased beyond the rate at which they can excrete it). If that's what's going on (could be something else, I don't have the knowledge to know, but I wanted to share in case it seems right), what I did for my kids was increasing their vitC to bowel tolerance (is there a brand that you can tolerate?) and I gave them modifilan, a seaweed product. I love it for sopping up toxins, it's helped us out on multiple occasions. Other folks have used activated charcoal, I think, but I'm not sure how that works.

If it's toxins, the other way, I think, would be to decrease the dose until the amount of toxins you're dealing with is less and your body and hers can keep up and then slowly see if you can increase it.

Best wishes in figuring it out.
Just saw your post after mine. I was thinking that too, although I have nowhere near the experience and knowledge that you do.
I was wondering, if this can release toxins, is it not good for me to do some candex if I plan to get pregnant in 4 or so months?
BeingMe is offline  
#133 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:50 AM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
If the Candex is causing die-off, the yeasts would be releasing toxins into your body and some could be reabsorbed--that could be the mechanism for what's causing your daughter's irritability. I've seen irritability in both my kids when their circulating toxins increased (increased beyond the rate at which they can excrete it). If that's what's going on (could be something else, I don't have the knowledge to know, but I wanted to share in case it seems right), what I did for my kids was increasing their vitC to bowel tolerance (is there a brand that you can tolerate?) and I gave them modifilan, a seaweed product. I love it for sopping up toxins, it's helped us out on multiple occasions. Other folks have used activated charcoal, I think, but I'm not sure how that works.

If it's toxins, the other way, I think, would be to decrease the dose until the amount of toxins you're dealing with is less and your body and hers can keep up and then slowly see if you can increase it.

Best wishes in figuring it out.
So am I doing more harm than good (harm for her, good for me) by flooding her with these toxins? I already cut back the dose to 1/4 of what they recommend... only 1 pill a day. I'm feeling much better than when I started, although still very irritable and emotional. My stomach hurts a little, and there's a hint of a headache... oh, and I've been sleeping really poorly too. But it's not half as bad as the first couple days I took the Candex (full dose).

So far, DD hasn't tolerated any Vitamin C (through BM), so I'm reluctant to try any more. I bought some activated charcoal the other day and used it when I was feeling horrible, but I can't take it every day. I'm already probably depleted on vitamin/minerals from my limited diet, so I can't chance it soaking those up with the toxins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Any chance just by coincidence she started teething? Just because that happened right when my DD started ahomeopathic remedy and I thought it was the remedy.
Nope, she actually just gone done with her last set of teeth...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#134 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was wondering, if this can release toxins, is it not good for me to do some candex if I plan to get pregnant in 4 or so months?
I _think_ that the toxins that are released are either excreted via the natural processes or they re-settle (and that's the part that hurts) within a matter of days (IME).
tanyalynn is offline  
#135 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 AM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So am I doing more harm than good (harm for her, good for me) by flooding her with these toxins? I already cut back the dose to 1/4 of what they recommend... only 1 pill a day. I'm feeling much better than when I started, although still very irritable and emotional. My stomach hurts a little, and there's a hint of a headache... oh, and I've been sleeping really poorly too. But it's not half as bad as the first couple days I took the Candex (full dose).
Shitty answer but... maybe. I did at least one thing that I _know_ was good for me and bad for my nursing son, and I strongly suspect another was bad for him (it was also good for me). Balancing the needs of two people is really tricky, I think even more so in your situation than mine, and I felt quite stressed about it.

If you're feeling bad, then this sounds like more toxins are being released than your body can keep up with. I've had headaches and sleep problems (have you considered melatonin?) from increases in circulating toxins. So you can address it from the 'release fewer toxins' side or the 'increase the capacity to detoxify' side.

You haven't found any supplements you can both tolerate, have you? I'm taking a set that are supposed to support the basic liver detox pathways, it's a mix of Bs, mag, zinc, actually a lot but bundled into just a couple pills. I think that's been helping me with all the stuff that my body's been dumping since I got my amalgams out, plus the extra stuff I'm drawing out while chelating.

The other part is, it may be appropriate to lower the dose even further, or even stop for a few days to give both of you time to catch up, and then start again at maybe the same 1/4 dose and see what happens. It can feel like slow progress, but the fact that you're taking this and something seems to be happening probably means that this is part of the problem--it may take a while to address completely, but you're on the right track. And this may be a necessary thing for getting better, just really, really slow.

Quote:
So far, DD hasn't tolerated any Vitamin C (through BM), so I'm reluctant to try any more. I bought some activated charcoal the other day and used it when I was feeling horrible, but I can't take it every day. I'm already probably depleted on vitamin/minerals from my limited diet, so I can't chance it soaking those up with the toxins.
Bummer with the vitamin C, it's been a life-saver for us. As for the activated charcoal, I think there's a time window around it--it will soak up nutrients as well, like you said, but not all day, so taking it away from meals (look up the timing there, I don't know it) should help. Modifilan is more known in heavy metal circles and I think it's only available online, so you'd need to read elsewhere--and it seems pretty new so it's hard to find a lot of info/experience with it. It's a seaweed and I don't know if you're up for trying essentially a new food, but fwiw, I have felt comfortable giving it to my kids for quite a while--I guess my son was a year and a half when we started? It has played a significant part in dealing with our health stuff.
tanyalynn is offline  
#136 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
 
xekomaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Last Frontier
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Changingseasons - how about epsom salts baths for you both? 2x a day is the recommendation on the pecanbread list for dealing with die off. From the battling thrush support thread, and some stories from pecanbread of nurslings having die-off reactions when their moms went on SCD for them, my gut is that you're better off killing the yeast and being done with it, than letting it release toxins continually. Of course, you need to listen to your own gut, not mine And thats also assuming it is die-off and not a reaction - but it really sounds like die-off to me

Oh and if I can get my grains back up to full strength, I'd be happy to send some your way. It may be a while though

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

xekomaya is offline  
#137 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks you guys for the ideas. Maybe I will go get some epsom salt today!!

It is really hard for me to gauge whether it's die-off or a reaction... The mystery rash on my legs has gotten REALLY bad. I put some nystatin ointment on it the other night, thinking that if it was a yeast rash it would help it... and it made it worse!! Now it's super itchy, and it burns in the shower when water touches it. So what do you think of that? Do I now assume that it's NOT a yeast rash? And if I do that, then I think I need to assume that it's an allergic-reaction rash!!

I think I will definitely take a few days off from the Candex and see if that helps.

Ugh. This whole thing is just frying my brain. I'm so ready to be done with all this mess!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#138 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM
 
ellasmama2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: near tampa, fl
Posts: 991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry,cross-posted from c-section thread:

hi girls, i have been lurking on this thread, unable to grab a minute to identify myself but i've been hanging around this subforum for months now.
i have an 11 month old daughter with sensitivities through my bm to so many foods it's out of control. i now am limited to some veggies, some fruits, evoo, salt, pumpkin seeds and walnuts. she only eats bm, sweet potatoes, prunes and bananas. she was a c-sect, 1 dose of broad spectrum abx to me after the cord was clamped. we had blood incompatibility and i had 2 doses of rhogam, 1 before and 1 after birth. i also took bc pills for years and was off them a year before conceiving. dd had, unfortunately, vaccines through 6 mos on dr sears schedule.

i take:
pure encapsulations: multi, ca/mag, coq10, l-glutamine, ( i was taking quercetin but it's derived from legumes so i stopped)

digest gold during meals, i just ordered enzymedical virastop for between meals http://www.enzymedica.com/products/Virastop

i take 2 tsp kirkmans cow milk colostrum, casein free per day
http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/...4_Spec804.html

i take 2 caps kirkmans lactobaccillus duo http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/...llusduo90.html

i take twin labs clo, mint

dd gets a smidge of the probiotics right now, we're trying to work up since we've had a rough go in the past trying probiotics with her.

dd started gastrocrom 2+ weeks ago. we are sending both our urines for oat and both stools for yeast/parasites.

she gets epsom baths daily.

i am still having random, idiotic (i mean idiopathic) body rashes. dd and i seem to be over our random hives ( i also had angioedema , dd never did thank god) coming almost daily. she is not reacting to anything right now ( fingers crossed smiley) but her very mild reflux has progressed to pretty painful sounding and causing crying in her sleep. i dont want to treat it, because i've read so much about the harm we cause ourselves by treating acid reflux which winds up exacerbating the problem. let me know if you know differently, please! she seems to be more sensitive gradually with no end in sight.

i dont want to derail, but can anyone elaborate on the comment early on about l-glutamine being unsafe? i cant find info on that at all.
also, can anyone speak to the biotin question by firefaery? i would like to know more about biotin....

this is a great thread, greetings all. thank you for any insight you have to offer.
ellasmama2007 is offline  
#139 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changingseasons~

I agree with xekomama. I did epsom salt baths every day when we started enzymes and they helped immensely. They will also help dd's eczema. Use a lot, like 2 cups per tub.

I also think you are better off to keep up with some treatment, but I think you should go slower to put less stress on your detox pathways if you are really concerned for your dd. Although personally I would take the die-off symptoms as a good sign - the healing crisis that every naturopath/homeopath knows about. When illness is leaving the body, things will often get worse before they get better. I have witnessed this myself through every step of our healing. Have you read the 'low and slow' protocol on the enzymestuff website? I would back off the candex for now (or take a smaller dose) and start making sure you are getting some enzymes with every meal and then go from there. You have some pretty good evidence now that you guys have yeast overgrowth, so I doubt you'll be able now to just sit back and live with that, since it is probably contributing to your dd's issues as well.

You can also do some liver support like milk thistle or dandelion. Your dd will get the benefit of that thru bm. The toxins from yeast die-off will not re-settle in your body as a pp suggested. Heavy metals, yes, but that's not what we're talking about here. Your body has detox pathways and they will do their job if you support them properly and if they are not overloaded because of heavy metal toxicity.
joybird is offline  
#140 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks joybird- I will look into the liver support. And I will definitely start the epsom salt balts!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#141 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
 
BeingMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me again. Can you tell I have adrenal fatigue....brain is so foggy.
I've been reading over the enzyme stuff site and all the instructions.
**Has anyone tried the great low-slow method?
According to the site I should start her with zyme-prime, then add afp, then probiotics(already on them), then candex or candidase, then a yeast killer such as GSE.
**Is this a good plan for a 28 month old, or too much?
And when I spoke with Dr. Houston he didn't mention no-phenol, just the zyme-prime and afp(to which he siad go with the capsule over the chewables because of the fillers, etc),
**Is no-phenol a better choice?
**And is there a difference in companies, is Houston better than Enzymedicaor vice-versa?
Thanks!!
BeingMe is offline  
#142 of 457 Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingMe View Post
Me again. Can you tell I have adrenal fatigue....brain is so foggy.
I've been reading over the enzyme stuff site and all the instructions.
**Has anyone tried the great low-slow method?
According to the site I should start her with zyme-prime, then add afp, then probiotics(already on them), then candex or candidase, then a yeast killer such as GSE.
**Is this a good plan for a 28 month old, or too much?
And when I spoke with Dr. Houston he didn't mention no-phenol, just the zyme-prime and afp(to which he siad go with the capsule over the chewables because of the fillers, etc),
**Is no-phenol a better choice?
**And is there a difference in companies, is Houston better than Enzymedicaor vice-versa?
Thanks!!
We started ZymePrime (capsules) with meals and then added in peptizyde and nofenol (capsules) between meals. I didn't do peptizyde with meals because we are GF/CF/SF and it is mostly used to breakdown those particular proteins. Zymeprime is a good broad-spectrum enzyme. Later on we added Oil of Oregano or GSE with the Peptizyde and nofenol. We had great success doing this regime. My dd was 2.5 at the time and I know from researching that this much is fine for a 2yo.

NoFenol is not a broad spectrum digestive enzyme, it is only for breaking down certain fruits/veggies that are phenolic, but it also seems to work as a yeast killer if taken between meals. Houston's has another enzyme that I use for dd now and sometimes myself called ZyCarb. It is similar to ZymePrime except that it also has the equivalent of 1/2 cap of Nofenol. I use it if we are eating anything with grains or lots of carbs since it helps break them down. I think this formula was designed to sort of mimic the SCD, and you are getting the benefits of zymeprime and nofenol in the one capsule.

We use Houston's and Enzymedica both (Digest Gold for myself since it is a lot stronger). I'm not sure which is better but I like that the Houstons enzymes you can mix and match for whatever you're eating. I also trust Houston's because we saw such drastic results with them and he really is the top dog in enzyme therapy. If I had to choose I'd pick those. Although if you eventually want a stronger yeast -killing enzyme for between meals, I think Candidase is the way to go for that.
joybird is offline  
#143 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 01:13 AM
 
srneda78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question about digestive enzymes -- maybe some of you nice people would have an idea about this.

Anytime I have taken digestive enzymes, I have gotten really ill. I at least get a severe stomach ache and then usually vomit once or twice. I tried Candex and the same thing happened, except in an even more severe form (vomiting for hours). I take probiotics regularly and have no problem. They have helped my gas/bloating/IBS issues, but I wanted to try to address the underlying causes (possible yeast, leaky gut, etc). But I cannot seem to tolerate digestive enzymes. I have tried low potency, high potency, and protease-free. I still react to them.

Does anyone know what is in them that would make me react to these? I have tried to find stuff online for the last year, but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.
srneda78 is offline  
#144 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 AM
 
LauraLoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: By the light of the silvery moon
Posts: 3,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ChangingSeasons --- I know this is a really elementary suggestion, but anytime a detox is done, a lot of water is needed to flush the system. If you are already drinking a lot, try drinking more.

I also think that the epsom salt baths are a good idea.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

LauraLoo is offline  
#145 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 10:18 AM
 
LauraLoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: By the light of the silvery moon
Posts: 3,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Oh thank goodness I'm not going crazy. I mentioned it to my ND and he didn't know what I was talking about. He said "I've never heard of that before."
I didn't want to keep taking it not knowing if it was "normal" or if I was doing *more* damage, yk? I know I should read the cheat sheet, but I never seem to have the time and when I have the time, I don't seem to have the brain function. heh. Can someone tell me about how long that lasts?
I was only taking one tablet (supposedly containing 1 billion live cells) once a day. The "reaction" lasted for a fair number of hours after taking it- maybe I'll start taking it before bed. Then I won't realize I feel like puking.

ETA: I did also have gas and bloating, but no problems with stools. It's kind of funny since the bottle I have says "For occasional upset stomach, gas and bloating." I remember thinking "Uh... To cause it?"
How are you feeling now? Is it working taking it before bed?

I've forgotten to take the Candidase and probiotic before meals a couple of times, so I've waited until 2 hours afterwards (which is the other option) and I find that I don't feel nearly as good when I do that. Last night, as an example, my stomach was grumbling so loudly and I had a lot of bloating. I took the Candidase 2 hours later and by bedtime I was fine. Not sure if that means that the Candidase is doing better work by waiting until after a meal, or if it means that my body really needs these enzymes before it tackles a meal....Or maybe it was just something else.

In any case, I'm now on a maintenance mode with the Candidase and will continue to take them until I run out and then switch over to a broader base enzyme for continued maintenance. I don't want regress!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

LauraLoo is offline  
#146 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 11:08 AM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 6,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Chinese Pistache You've been son helpful to me, I wish I had a good answer for you. I have BTVC in front of me but it doesn't seem to include anything about how this process affects a nursling. It does mention that beans, depending on whether or not they are adequately soaked, can have more complex sugars, so perhaps that is your source of inconsistency? It does also talk about bacterial toxins crossing the blood-brain barrier so that is something else that would pass to breastmilk, if that factors in to the answer to your question.


I think we may actually be seeing some progress over here from water kefir. It's all TMI that I may detail at some time, but I'm starting to think that somehow I lost a huge portion of my gut flora - not just imbalanced but like, gone if thats possible. And I'm seeing some signs that it is coming back so I'm pretty psyched. My only issue is that my kefir grains are near death. Think I'm going to go post in the TF forum to see if anyone can help me save them
Thanks, xekomaya. I appreciate you looking. My ds is at baseline now, so I'm just going to give it a week or so before figuring out what to do.

Do you make water kefir? I need to do that. Where did you get your grains?
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#147 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
ChangingSeasons --- I know this is a really elementary suggestion, but anytime a detox is done, a lot of water is needed to flush the system. If you are already drinking a lot, try drinking more.

I also think that the epsom salt baths are a good idea.
No, I do need that reminder. I'm really bad at forcing myself to drink lots of water. I've just never been a big water person... I did buy a big Kleen Kanteen so that I gauge how much I'm drinking every day though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Do you make water kefir? I need to do that. Where did you get your grains?
That's next on my list of things to do too!! I think I might just order some, since no one ever seems to have extra water grains. There's a mama that hangs out in the TF forum- dogmama or something like that? She's got the red/brown/whatever color username, and her store's website in her sig that sells kefir grains and scobies and stuff.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#148 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 01:14 PM
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srneda78 View Post
I have a question about digestive enzymes -- maybe some of you nice people would have an idea about this.

Anytime I have taken digestive enzymes, I have gotten really ill. I at least get a severe stomach ache and then usually vomit once or twice. I tried Candex and the same thing happened, except in an even more severe form (vomiting for hours). I take probiotics regularly and have no problem. They have helped my gas/bloating/IBS issues, but I wanted to try to address the underlying causes (possible yeast, leaky gut, etc). But I cannot seem to tolerate digestive enzymes. I have tried low potency, high potency, and protease-free. I still react to them.

Does anyone know what is in them that would make me react to these? I have tried to find stuff online for the last year, but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Shannon,

I have been reading a lot about enzymes lately, from a lot of different sources and one thing I read said something about vomiting being an indication that there is a lot of yeast in the upper intestines, and reactions like diarrhea indicating more yeast in the lower intestines. I don't know if this is true or not, and I can't recall where I read it, so take this with a grain of salt. I will look at some of the sources I saved to see if I can find it again... but when I read your post, I thought of this, so I thought I would mention it.
WildIris is offline  
#149 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
 
changingseasons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 8,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Hi Shannon,

I have been reading a lot about enzymes lately, from a lot of different sources and one thing I read said something about vomiting being an indication that there is a lot of yeast in the upper intestines, and reactions like diarrhea indicating more yeast in the lower intestines. I don't know if this is true or not, and I can't recall where I read it, so take this with a grain of salt. I will look at some of the sources I saved to see if I can find it again... but when I read your post, I thought of this, so I thought I would mention it.
I know that everyone keeps pushing that the more side effects you have, the more you 'need' the product... but I'm really wondering- isn't there any possibility that someone might just be allergic to the enzymes? I mean, they are derived from (or grown on, or whatever) foods, right?

I'm really having a hard time with this right now, because in the 48 hours since I've stopped taking the Candex, my rash has almost completely disappeared, I slept better last night, DD slept better last night (I actually got 2 & 3 hour stretches!), and there has only been one very small tantrum today. And I have the same symptoms when I'm reacting to a food- rashes flare up, DD and I sleep bad, DD gets all moody, etc. (Her symptoms are different when she's reacting to a food through BM than when I'm reacting to a food, and she's reacting to my reaction.)

And I'm not saying that I don't have a yeast problem... because maybe I do. But I do think that my body does not tolerate enzymes. So I think it's important to point out that one size does not fit all here... everyone's body is different, and just because a 'cure' worked good for one person, it doesn't mean it will work, or even that it won't harm, another person. Maybe I'm just bitter because nothing seems to be working for us...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
changingseasons is offline  
#150 of 457 Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I know that everyone keeps pushing that the more side effects you have, the more you 'need' the product... but I'm really wondering- isn't there any possibility that someone might just be allergic to the enzymes? I mean, they are derived from (or grown on, or whatever) foods, right?
Yes, I think this is a very good point. I was actually thinking to myself, after I wrote the previous post, that I should come back and say "or maybe you're allergic to enzymes."

I think it's important not to rule that out. I'll tell you about the experience I had when I tried taking Armour thyroid. I broke out in a rash when I first started taking it...the rash got worse and worse, turned into hives. Everywhere I posted online, people kept saying they knew other people who had rashes from it but the rash went away eventually, that it was probably just a Herxheimer reaction, etc. I toughed it out for FOUR very long, very itchy weeks until I just couldn't take it anymore. I mean, it was getting so bad that my C-section scar (from 13+ years ago!) was raw and bleeding from all my scratching in that area. Two days after I stopped the med, I had a severe reaction to corn syrup...and at that point realized that I was severely allergic to corn. My hives from the Armour was because of the dextrose in it.

I'm bummed for you that nothing seems to be helping. I know how frustrating that must be. I think you really just have to trust your instincts on this one.
WildIris is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off