Healing The Gut Tribe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 457 Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If there is no current thread for this, I think we need to start one. Hopefully there are still some mamas around working on healing and we can get a good chat going.

DH and I are both in the need of some gut healing so I've been doing lots of reading. He has IBS, seems to be developing arthritis & is in constant joint/muscle pain. I have all kinds of bizarre problems and I feel like too much of a hypochondriac to list them all but I do think it all originates in my gut. I also have begun to suspect that ds is reacting to foods through breast milk. I only realized yesterday and dropped dairy right away, but it's too soon to see improvements. From my reading it seems that if he is reacting to foods through me, I almost certainly have a leaky gut -- which would confirm my earlier thought.

So is there anyone else still out there? Come on in!

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 457 Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You've read through this right?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071
#3 of 457 Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yup - and just about all of the past healing the gut tribe threads - although I still have ~60 tabs open with more research & reading mostly on pub med . DH can't stand to use my computer because all the tabs make him dizzy.

#4 of 457 Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm really really new to trying to "heal the gut" because of my dd's food allergies. The "cheat sheet" thread makes my head spin to be honest. So I certainly don't have anything to add but I'll be taking notes from all the others!

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#5 of 457 Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I'm really really new to trying to "heal the gut" because of my dd's food allergies. The "cheat sheet" thread makes my head spin to be honest. So I certainly don't have anything to add but I'll be taking notes from all the others!
Welcome! The cheat sheet is an awesome resource but it can be really intimidating -- it took me 3 weeks of nursing + a growth spurt to get though it!

I'm not sure how many of the experienced mamas are still around, and I'm just getting started, so if you feel like it, you might as well jump right in

#6 of 457 Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 PM

Well Hello.. I'll join/revive this thread if'n ya don't mind.

We're beginning this journey. Well actually, we began a few months ago but we're really getting serious now. It'll be me and my year old nursling. I'll share our histories later (too sleepy now).
I too have read the HTG Cheat Sheet and tons of other related threads. I feel like I could publish a book from all that I've learned.

be back later!!
#7 of 457 Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 AM

Yes, please

I'm just getting started in the healing, too
#8 of 457 Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay! Welcome!

I was hoping to be able to revive this thread.

Seventy, I'd be really interested to hear how it's going for your family.

So far we've started:
- Probiotics for all
- A house rule that we must drink 1c. bone broth per day
- CLO for me (not sure I can convince DH to try it)
And trying to shift our diet to TF. I'm seeing some improvement already, but my lo is still showing allergy symptoms even after removing diary so I think I'm going to need to start an elimination diet. I'm going to be very picky about what and how I add food back in and hopefully can heal my gut a bit while I do it.

I'm considering staring l-glutamine, but saw some really negative reports online (on pecanbread) so I think I might need more info.

#9 of 457 Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM

I know absolutely nothing about healing the gut, but came to this forum looking for information about it. I have Crohn's disease and IBS (and several other things) and my son has IBS and GERD. My son experiences belly pain several times a day and often has to go to the bathroom right after he eats. He has really bad gas too (which he is totally proud of!)

We have friends whose children had a food sensitivity test done (called Bloodprint) and they made major changes in their kids' diet. Their kids' belly pain and potty problems have improved dramatically. I'd like to have the testing done to see what foods could be contributing to my son's IBS, but the test is expensive and we don't have regular insurance now.

I'd love to learn more about healing the gut!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#10 of 457 Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 PM

I have been through the cheat sheet a million times, and I'm still learning a lot. I have ulcerative colitis. I'm on the SCD and I've convinced my insurance to pay for really powerful probiotics. Now I'm trying to convince DH to go on the diet. He has some IBS symptoms. He's really resisting, in that way men do when they'd rather be stoic and "tough it out."

Anyway, I thought I'd jump in since I always like to learn more.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 457 Old 08-10-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

ReadingMama - Hi, Welcome! How's it going for you? Have you had a chance to look through the cheat sheet? Feel free to jump in with any questions. I hope you're able to come up with a plan of action for yourself and your little man. You should definitely read Breaking the Vicious Cycle if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
I have been through the cheat sheet a million times, and I'm still learning a lot. I have ulcerative colitis. I'm on the SCD and I've convinced my insurance to pay for really powerful probiotics. Now I'm trying to convince DH to go on the diet. He has some IBS symptoms. He's really resisting, in that way men do when they'd rather be stoic and "tough it out."

Hi - Can I ask what kind of probiotics you covered?

I had started SCD but couldn't find a suitable intersection of foods that I could digest & ds wasn't allergic to so I had to take a brief break. I'm also looking at GAPS for the supplement protocol, but I think I need to read the book, not just the website summary

We're having a little stall here for an extreme elimination diet for ds's allergies but hopefully will be back underway shortly. I was feeling a lot better with the bone broth & CLO, and then even more so while SCD legal so hopefully I can get back to that soon.

#12 of 457 Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 AM

Yes! I have more time now to learn and contribute, things were a little rocky for a while!
#13 of 457 Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jane! Welcome back. So glad you're here!

#14 of 457 Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
Welcome! The cheat sheet is an awesome resource but it can be really intimidating -- it took me 3 weeks of nursing + a growth spurt to get though it!

I'm not sure how many of the experienced mamas are still around, and I'm just getting started, so if you feel like it, you might as well jump right in
Oh yeah. It's been a while since I plowed through it, but it definitely took some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Just curious, what probiotics are you using?

To the pp that saw some negative reports about l-glutamine, I'd be interested to read them.
#15 of 457 Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Hi! I recognize a lot of faces from the allergy forum...

We're a couple months in to a "serious" healing regime - i.e. more than just probiotics.

We do:
* daily probiotics (more when tummies are upset)
* daily CLO
* daily Evening Primrose Oil
* enzymes with every meal/large snack
* homemade bone broth in everything
* cultured veggies (sauerkraut and pickles, mostly)
* food combining, most of the time (this is more of a yeast fighting thing a la Body Ecology Diet)

We are currently avoiding all of our known allergens/sensitivities + the remainder of the top 8 to allow the gut to heal.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#16 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM

I'm joining this thread to possibly help out my sister. For years she has suffered from "spastic colon" and has been on every med known to man it seems. She's finally agreed to try a more natural approach so I'm doing some research. I think I'd like to take her to a naturopath and also get an allergy panel done. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info, but I'm doing my best! Plus there's always the problem of I can only help her as much as she wants to help herself. But I think she's at the breaking point and modern medicine has not fixed the problem so far.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#17 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 PM

I have esophagitis and two small ulcers, and lots of and lots of stomach pain that comes and goes. Have had upper GI and endoscopy (the tube down the throat), and am on Nexium 40 mg once or twice a day. This is, according to my doc, a med that I may have to take for the rest of my life, but my understanding is that it's not meant to be a long-term drug, so I need to get on the ball and start searching for natural cures for myself.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#18 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know the difference between CLO and fish oil? The naturopath put me on 4 capsules of high potency fish oil a day for inflammation. It lowered my cholesterol about 50 points!! Should I be taking both CLO and Fish Oil? Or do they both do the same thing?

I bought EnzymeGold, but haven't tried it yet (for anyone in the family).

I make bone broth (beef for DS and chicken for DD since they're allergic to the opposing meats!) and use it at least once a week (hard since we're on a 4-day rotation diet).

We take acidophilus tablets daily, and I make coconut milk yogurt.

And we avoid known allergens (and rotate foods).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#19 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM

These are what I'm using:
http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp
They're insanely expensive, so I couldn't get them without insurance paying.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#20 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM

I might as well jump onto the thread too....

I'm sure most of you know me from the Allergy forum, but for those who don't- we've been battling serious food allergies in DD for almost 9 months now. I've FINALLY gotten my diet to a point where she's not reacting (or at least where I can see when she's reacting, and what she's reacting to), but I'm down to about 7 foods.

Now that I have my diet somewhat controlled, I'm just starting to get into some serious gut healing. I was doing a lot of supplements, but DD was reacting to one or more of them, so I stopped everything. Plus, I became sensitized and started reacting to my enzymes after taking them for a month... so those are out. What I plan to do instead is introduce a lot of cultured foods. I'm off to find some good, big glass jars at IKEA & Goodwill today, then will make my first batch of NT pickled beets this afternoon (with just sea salt, DD is allergic to dairy so I can't use whey). I'm also going to start growing my own kombucha scoby from a bottle of GT's. I hope to also eventually get some water kefir grains and get that started too.

So I guess right now, the only thing we're doing is: daily kombucha for me, and I just started DD back on probiotics after her last serious reaction. And allergen avoidance.

Oh- and I've cut all sugars out of my diet (except this delicious raw honey that I have... I'm working on that one) to see if yeast might be a contributor to our problem.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#21 of 457 Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Guess I should join in as well. I've been lurking for so long and learning so much that I'm starting to feel a bit guilty for not giving back a bit.

Short story is that I and my 1 year old baby are both recently dx'ed with celiac disease and now I'm trying to fix us both as I perilously introduce him to real people food. The poor kid is allergic to most everything eventually. I see other people struggling with similar stuff.

A thought: What about raw honey to add to the list of usual suspects for gut healing? A quick search on pubmed turns up the following afflicted mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16533410

I know I've seen more... Honey's an old remedy for a variety of tummy issues. We've been finding it good to sip it in water. I'm finding it helps with both pain and dehydration when we are recovering from gluten screw ups.

Also I get to eat honey.
#22 of 457 Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM

So glad to see this thread! I just posted something in the Allergies forum about our current dilemma, but I would love to talk these things out.

Our history: My first son (now 9) had intestinal issues because I had a shot of abx in labor (and my gut needed healing too), and we did the SCD for three years.

My second child had no intestinal problems at all, though he does have a peanut allergy. I had learned more this time, and was wiser. He had not had any allopathic medcicine at all until this spring when he had strep/scarlatina and I did not want to give abx, but wound up doing it anyway. We are still trying to heal his gut, it really messed it up. I can't believe they are giving out abx like this when it is not life-threatening and it can have these effects. I am so angry about it.

I will come back and post again later about what we are doing.
#23 of 457 Old 08-29-2008, 03:05 PM

Here's what I just poseted in the Allergies forum about our current situation with gut healing:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=958538
#24 of 457 Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Spruce View Post
A thought: What about raw honey to add to the list of usual suspects for gut healing? A quick search on pubmed turns up the following afflicted mice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16533410

I know I've seen more... Honey's an old remedy for a variety of tummy issues. We've been finding it good to sip it in water. I'm finding it helps with both pain and dehydration when we are recovering from gluten screw ups.

Also I get to eat honey.
I'm still really torn about honey. I found this DELICIOUS local raw honey that is so cloudy and thick, it's like eating peanut butter. It's heaven. But I realized that now I crave it- which probably means that I shouldn't have it. Although it's still out for debate, I have a feeling that the honey IS adding to a possible yeast problem that I have (and the yeast is wanting that delicious source of food, making me crave it). So I finished off the jar last night, and I'm going to try and stay off the honey for a few weeks and see what happens.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#25 of 457 Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM

I am trying to figure out if the probiotics I am giving are making things better or worse. I don't want to stop all together, because I am afraid if that's the wrong thing, it would get a lot worse. But I have heard that for some people, certain strains can actually make the situation worse. Or for some people, the probiotics make their stool looser.

I am giving the Klaire Ther Biotic Complete (25 billion) 3 times a day, and the kids are 4 and 9. They have perfect, formed stools sometimes, then other times they have loose stools. Like, they come out formed but then separate in the water. In addition, they saythey have tummy aches sometimes. Nothing bad, and it goes away soon after, but my 9 year old has never complained of tummy aches before.

I am giving this one 3 times a day because a holistic ped suggested I do that, along with an herbal candid yeast formula. So, I am wondering if maybe this should only be given in conjunction with that (like, they balance each other out?).

When I reduce the amount, they seem to get worse, so I don't want to completely stop, but I haven't tried completely stopping.

What do you all think?
#26 of 457 Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I am trying to figure out if the probiotics I am giving are making things better or worse. I don't want to stop all together, because I am afraid if that's the wrong thing, it would get a lot worse. But I have heard that for some people, certain strains can actually make the situation worse. Or for some people, the probiotics make their stool looser.

I am giving the Klaire Ther Biotic Complete (25 billion) 3 times a day, and the kids are 4 and 9. They have perfect, formed stools sometimes, then other times they have loose stools. Like, they come out formed but then separate in the water. In addition, they saythey have tummy aches sometimes. Nothing bad, and it goes away soon after, but my 9 year old has never complained of tummy aches before.

I am giving this one 3 times a day because a holistic ped suggested I do that, along with an herbal candid yeast formula. So, I am wondering if maybe this should only be given in conjunction with that (like, they balance each other out?).

When I reduce the amount, they seem to get worse, so I don't want to completely stop, but I haven't tried completely stopping.

What do you all think?
When did you start them on the probiotics? It could very well be that they're still needing more gut healing and that takes time. Do they eat/drink dairy? Do they eat gluten?
#27 of 457 Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
When did you start them on the probiotics? It could very well be that they're still needing more gut healing and that takes time. Do they eat/drink dairy? Do they eat gluten?
Well, my youngest (4 yo) has been on the 3x/day Klaire for a lot longer, a few months, while my oldest one (9 yo) has only been doing that for a few weeks. No dairy right now, and I had cut out gluten too. But I put gluten back in this week. He has had several formed, actually perfect stools since putting it back in, but I guess it could be that. He hasn't had much gluten, just a few pieces of sprouted grain bread. But I guess it could be a delayed reaction to that.

I guess I was just wondering, because I hear some people say that probiotics actually make them have looser stool, if it could be that he's just really sensitive, and the 75 billion total per day is too much.

He has now had total diarrhea (turn the water brown) for two days now. Only twice a day, but still, this is not normal. He also said he had a tummy ache every day this week. Didn't tell me this until yesterday, but when I asked him if his tummy hurt, he said yes, his tummy never used to hurt, but this week, at least once a day, it has felt "weird".

When I first tried the Klaire probs for them several months ago during/right after the probiotics, it caused lots of tummy rumbling and tummyaches. So I don't know what to do. I was considering just stopping and trying just foods, like making yogurt. Though we have not been eating dairy at all. I am afraid to completely stop though, because what if he has a pretty significant imbalance, and it gets worse quickly from completely stopping for a few days.

I could also try this herbal supplement that this pediatrician that I saw recommended. I was hesitating to try it because it has a lot of strong herbs in it, like pau d'arco, and something in me was just resisting it. But maybe I am just being over-anxious about it.
#28 of 457 Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 PM

I'm reading Dr. Cass Ingram's The Cure is in the Cupboard right now about oil of oregano (North American Herb & Spice brand) and it's really interesting information.

Anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal. From sinusitis, eczema, and psoriasis to IBS, candida, measles, mumps, chicken pox and diptheria.

I think I need to look into more traditional herbal textbooks. I feel like I need to know more about creating an "antibiotic free" arsenal.

Our holistic dietician rec it for DS b/c she still thinks he has some stuff going on b/c he's so fruit and sugar sensitive still. Only the low sugar fruits he can tolerate. Perfect stools on lots of GF grains and potatoes, so not sure what exactly is up with him.
#29 of 457 Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm here though I lurk a lot of time.

DD has multiple food sensitivies according to her 90-day IgG test.
She's on Klaire's Therabiotic probiotics. She also gets HMF powdered probiotic.
She takes enzymes from Houston Nutraceuticals given apart from the probiotics.
DD gets cod liver oil and evening primrose oil daily along with l-carnitine to help absorption.
She takes Nystatin for yeast. We alternate it with Uva Ursi and Saccharomyces boulardii. I'm also using biotin to help with the yeast. She's also on a low sugar diet. DD's tummy still seems a bit pot bellied to us so I have a feeling we haven't gotten all the yeast.

We're going to do a repeat stool test soon we'll see if the enzymes, probiotics, and antifungals have helped.

I'm suspecting she has some latent viruses in her. From time to time she gets unexplained fevers without any other symptoms. We've had her tested for UTIs and kidneys problems but nope, there's nothing wrong.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#30 of 457 Old 09-01-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
She takes Nystatin for yeast. We alternate it with Uva Ursi and Saccharomyces boulardii. I'm also using biotin to help with the yeast. She's also on a low sugar diet. DD's tummy still seems a bit pot bellied to us so I have a feeling we haven't gotten all the yeast.

We're going to do a repeat stool test soon we'll see if the enzymes, probiotics, and antifungals have helped.

I'm suspecting she has some latent viruses in her. From time to time she gets unexplained fevers without any other symptoms. We've had her tested for UTIs and kidneys problems but nope, there's nothing wrong.
How did you know she needed the things like Nystatin and S boulardii for yeast? What kind of S Boulardii do you use and how/when do you give it? Klaire has a probiotic called ABx Support that has S. boulardii, L. rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Bifidobacterium breve, for a total of 10 billion CFUs. I was thinking about trying this for my 9 year old, but wasn't sure about how to use it for kids.

How much of the Klaire Ther Biotic Complete does your DD have per day?

Sorry for all the questions! Just one more...what kind of stool test did she have and what was it looking for?

Did your DD have problems after abx or was it something else?

Many thanks!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page