my first day of sugar-free, caffiene-free, gluten-free - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously, I ate tons of nutritious fruits and veggies and I am still hungry and have ZERO energy. I wasn't expecting this. In fact, I was expecting quite the opposite. When does it get better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 AM

Your body is probably in shock from going cold turkey. Did you consider cutting out 1 thing at a time and cutting back on the others.

Even if you stick with it, it will get better! Give it a couple of weeks for your body to adjust.
#3 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 AM

Sometimes I think you won't really feel all the energy until you've almost detoxed the crap out...literally!Drinking LOADS of water will help with the energy issue,too...I can tell the most difference in my energy with the water intake more than anything

#4 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 AM

it totally takes time. i've never done gluten but i have done caffeine (it took about a week before i felt halfway decent) and sugar (huge cravings for probably a week mild ones for a bit longer).

you WILL feel better, i promise! drink lots of water and be easy on yourself. you will be amazed how much your body is affected by those substances once you've been away for awhile. i had some green tea the other day and it might as well have been crack!

eh. who needs a signature?
#5 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Holy COW! You're a very strong woman to try to quit all 3 cold turkey! I've quit sugar and that was bad enough. No way anyone could pry my caffiene out of my hand at the same time. When I quit sugar before (this is my 2nd time) it took about 3 days of hardcore cravings and a week or so of slight cravings. When I quit caffiene while pg- i had horrendous headache and no energy for about 3-4 days.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM

Good luck! It is hard! I'm hoping you said just fruits and veggies but are aware that there are TONS more foods available to a sugar + gluten free diet. If not, definitely do some more research, because if I were only eating fruits and veggies, I would be hungry, too!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#7 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess going cold turkey is pretty ambitious. My plan was to eliminate these things (plus corn, soy, egg and almost all dairy) for 30 days and hopefully see improvement in my skin. Then I was going to add back one thing at a time to test it, sort of, though I plan to limit gluten and sugar permanently. Gluten and sugar kind of go hand in hand for me.

Yesterday, I was hit so hard that I'm thinking I have a bigger problem with sugar than with caffiene, since I've skipped coffee before without feeling so bad.

So is it even possible to add sugar back eventually or do even small amounts make you go all wacky again? I guess I'm thinking it's like an addiction.

Well, I'll be sure to get plenty of water today. Thanks, all!
#8 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM

I agree - you're gonna feel cruddy for awhile as your system detoxes. It could take a good month or more.
Once your system is more alkalinized you will start to feel more energy and other health benefits.
It may help to drink an alkalinizing drink - to help the body rid itself of the accumulated toxins faster.

1 cup water
half teaspoon baking soda.
1 full lime or lemon. let it fizz out first (sit maybe 3-5 minutes to do this)

Don't eat for at least 30 mins on either side of it.

HTH
Mat the force be with you!
#9 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Are you getting enough healthy fats and protein? When I went cold turkey on caffeine and corn, I felt terrible too. The fogginess went away after about 2 wks, I think. I also had a stint of gluten-free at the same time (I'm still corn and caffeine free after almost 2 yrs), and I ate lots of avocados and nuts which made me feel much better.

Good luck!
#10 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
Good luck! It is hard! I'm hoping you said just fruits and veggies but are aware that there are TONS more foods available to a sugar + gluten free diet. If not, definitely do some more research, because if I were only eating fruits and veggies, I would be hungry, too!
Yes, I'm eating nuts, oils and some meats, too, and will find ways to include beans, but the bulk of it was veggies. What I found interesting is that with my "normal" diet, I could snack on a bag of snow peas and be satisfied, but yesterday I was still hungry afterwards.
#11 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
Yes, I'm eating nuts, oils and some meats, too, and will find ways to include beans, but the bulk of it was veggies. What I found interesting is that with my "normal" diet, I could snack on a bag of snow peas and be satisfied, but yesterday I was still hungry afterwards.

Eating lots of beans has really helped me. Mostly veggies = ravenous for me.

blogging.jpg

#12 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

I am with you, except for the gluten -- Today is my first day of no sugar, second day of no caffeine and wow, I am feeling like crap. I know it will get better, it is like detoxing from drugs (as caffeine and sugar are like drugs!) but for now, I am hurting.

I am finding protein helps a lot -- which for a strict vegetarian not doing any soy, is a bit tricky but possible.

Anyway
#13 of 15 Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM

holy crap! no advice, only and for tackling this all at once!
#14 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the encouragement and input, everyone

I'm afraid that I've faltered. Today I got my usual coffee drink. I ordered it decaf, but still... it's coffee... and soy... and a bit of chocolate, which means sugar.

But I'm back in the saddle and today I felt much better, even before getting the drink, which makes me wonder why I got it in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
I am with you, except for the gluten -- Today is my first day of no sugar, second day of no caffeine and wow, I am feeling like crap. I know it will get better, it is like detoxing from drugs (as caffeine and sugar are like drugs!) but for now, I am hurting.

I am finding protein helps a lot -- which for a strict vegetarian not doing any soy, is a bit tricky but possible.

Anyway
yesterday I was wondering if this is what rehab feels like.
But you know, I think we picked a good time of the year to do this, as there are so many wonderful, fresh produce options right now. Well, in my area, anyway. So yay for that!
#15 of 15 Old 06-28-2008, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Sugar is SO addictive, worse than caffeine, IME.

You go girl! I had to quit 29 foods cold turkey. It sucked big time.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page