safety of bovine parts in supplements? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been taking an assortment of supplements lately that my holistic doctor prescribed me. Every time I take one i can't help but flinch at the ingriedents which include: bovine glands,bovine lymph tissue, bovine spleen, bovine placenta,bovine thymus among other parts that I normally avoid. I've been pretty picky about the meat i eat for a long time now. Finding myself consuming all the things I've been trying to aviod is wearing thin on my nerves. I worry about concentrated levels of pesticides,antibiotics, and other enviromental toxins as well as the possible transmission of Mad Cow.

So do you mama's have any insight or suggestions? Would you take supplements with these ingriedents if they were trully helping you, which these are? Any alternative ideas? Not that I can afford anything else as these have already cost me well over $200.
#2 of 6 Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 AM

It depends on the source. My adrenal doc will only carry bovine supplements that come from New Zealand - since BSE hasn't been found there.

I take Mil Adregen. It's not crazy expensive like Dr. Ron's stuff either.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 6 Old 06-28-2008, 04:13 PM

I wonder about this, too. the ones I take also come from organic, range-fed animals from New Zealand. I use adrenal cortex extract from NutriCology, I get mine at iHerb pretty cheaply.
#4 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 04:51 PM

I wouldn't take them, but I don't even eat beef because I'm scared of Mad Cow. So I'm definitely not the person to ask!

I found some fish oil gel capsules that are made with non-bovine gelatin, and I'm excited about that.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#5 of 6 Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
It depends on the source. My adrenal doc will only carry bovine supplements that come from New Zealand - since BSE hasn't been found there.

I take Mil Adregen. It's not crazy expensive like Dr. Ron's stuff either.
Same here. My naturopath will only give me anything bovine if it comes from New Zealand.
#6 of 6 Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I'm still on the fence. If I would have known what was in them before I bought them I wouldn't have purchased them in the first place. Everytime I think of all the money I spent on them, well it makes me kinda crazy :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page