Numb around c-section scar - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about 4 months post-partum and had a ceasarean birth. I have quite a bit of numbness around my scar on the right side. Has anyone else this and did you regain sensation?? It is also still a bit tender to the touch in the same area.

It's bad enough that I had a ceasarean but to be reminded every day by an ugly painful scar really bites...

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melly24 View Post

It's bad enough that I had a ceasarean but to be reminded every day by an ugly painful scar really bites...

The numbness just means you have nerve damage there. They could be cut or just bruised or damaged. It's sort of early to tell. You could regain feeling or you could not. I can't stand to touch my scar for some weird reason so I'm not sure whether I completely regained feeling or not. I think I lost internal nerve sensation too that didn't regenerate (yet anyway I guess).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 AM

I had numbness too, it went away. I can't tell you when it completely went away but 4.5 years later its all gone and the scar is tiny, not visible even with a bikini.

I know it sucks having a c section, I was bummed too

Hope it gets better for you soon.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is 3yo, and I still have numbness around the scar. It's a battle wound. Be proud.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 PM

I didn't have c sections, but I have had a lot of surgery on my legs... many scars. Some healed better than others, with minimal nerve damage, but I do have a couple of numb places. They are not painful, but they are uncomfortable to the touch.
I agree, wear it proudly. I have several friends who had c sections, and attended some as a doula. It takes great courage, mama!
vitamin e oil can be soothing to scar tissue, or olive oil with some essential oil of lavender..
Old 07-04-2008, 01:31 PM

I did not have a cesarean but I have a decent scar from a surgery in high school and it is completely numb on and around the scar. It's just part and parcel of surgery. Some people get the feeling back but it's very normal to have a weird sesation in that area forever.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 PM

I posted this same question a few months ago, because I thought that it was really weird that my scar was still numb.... and it is still numb now, and DD is almost 9mo. And all the responses that I got looked like the majority of people still had at least slight numbness years and years later.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 PM

I was told after my c/s that there might be nerve damage and I might never regain the feeling there....and 3 1/2 years later I can honestly say I still am very numb there. The way it looks will lessen with time. Is it a lower transverse? Bikini line i mean? That is what I have and it was horrible for awhile but now you cant even hardly see it. It sounds like the c/s was not a welcome thing.....please dont beat yourself up for it ok? I still regret having to have one (mainly my own stupidity in allowing the drs to induce because I was 1 week overdue, and letting them do the gamut of interventions that made the c/s necessary in the end) but I have come to accept it and tried to learn from it. If you need to talk, feel free to pm me ok? I know I was so sad after my c/s....mainly because of how long it took me to be able to pick up my own baby and the thought of her alone in a nursery for 3 days crying. Btw, I think there is a support thread for mothers who have had c/s here and who are not happy....I think in the tribal area somewhere....Anyway, take it easy on yourself ok? And again feel free to pm me if you need some support
Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM

I've had two sections. The first time, the numbness gradually faded until I felt almost normal in that area-- about 12 months I think. I still had a bit of a saggy overhang over the incision line and it itched a bit occasionally, but that's it.

The second time, it's been 16 months and it's still very numb. I'm not hopeful about it getting less numb this time. It also itches a lot still. I have some odd scarring there this time though because I got a really bad flare-up of colitis after my section, and all the time cramping on the toilet really messed up my healing process.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Mine is somewhat numb and I can't bear to touch it either. My c/s baby is 16 years old now! Be kind to yourself.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:58 PM

I had numbness around my c-section scar as well. I absolutely hated to be touched in that region (even by myself). We took dd to see a cranial-sacral therapist and he had some extra time after seeing her so he worked on me after that as well. I'm not sure what he called the type of work he did outside of the head, but he said it is important for all new moms to have this done, especially those that have had c-sections. He basically used a wooden stick and worked on the scar area opening it up. That area has felt so much better ever since and I no longer have the numbness. I can't find his website or what he calls it offhand, but I would highly recommend getting your scar worked on, especially if it is bothering you.

User Tag List