Dizzy after giving blood? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just came back from the lab. I didn't get DD's lab tests done yesterday at the dr because one of the tests she needed was a blood lipids panel, so she had to fast for it, so I took her today. I was figuring any day this week would work, provided she hadn't had breakfast yet and it wasn't too close to the time I needed to pick DS up at camp (I have to pick him up at lunchtime, then bring him back for the afternoon session.)

So when DS was home for lunch, DD2 was complaining about the food choices in the house and I realized she hadn't eaten anything at all yet. I suggested she wait, fast another hour or two, and we'll go to the lab after dropping DS off at camp and then go out for pizza. I also put a couple of luna bars in my purse in case she needed something before we got to the pizza place.

While they were taking blood, she started to cry- I thought it was just from the pain where the needle was. They took 4 or 5 test tubes worth of blood. When she was done she said she felt sick.

She refused any offers of food but did have some water. She had to stop and sit down several times on the way to the car. In the car she didn't stay sitting up but lay down across two seats (seatbelt still on but obviously not on properly). She didn't want to go out for pizza, she wanted to go straight home.

When we got home, she told me that her vision got funny when she walked too many steps at once. I gave her some orange juice, and now she's having pirate booty- I just want to get some calories into her, I'm not overly woried about balanced nutrition at the moment.

Is this normal after giving blood? I know I never got that sick or dizzy, even after donating a whole pint- but then I'm not 12 years old. I don't think this weakness is from fasting, because typically she's fasted before- both for religious fasts and "oops, I guess I forgot to eat anything today". Typically, she gets cranky and whiny when fasting, but not dizzy.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had that kind of reaction after giving a pint of blood in college. I haven't given blood since because of that unfortunately. I was actually dizzy and out of it for about 2 weeks. Many years later, I now know that I have adrenal fatigue which might have played a role. I am fairly certain that I just don't make enough blood volume, because I am always cold after I eat (all blood in stomach), can't give blood, etc.

Sorry I am not more help, but I did experience something similar. It was too long ago to remember what I felt like right after, but I remember feeling really dizzy and lousy for 2 weeks+

edit to add: I know that for me the combination of fasting and taking blood would be a large tax on my system. But then I also have trouble fasting alone. I know they always make a big deal about eating something when you donate blood, because of dizziness.

, , , , , to DD1 (4.5 years old) and DD2 (7 months) and 2
#3 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had something similar happen with my 6 yr old dd. She did not get blood taken, but had a bad fall and skinned her knee pretty bad. While I was cleaning the wound, she turned pale and said she needed to throw up and wanted to lay down. It really freaked me out! I'm wondering if it's from the sight of blood?

#4 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thinks it's the trifecta of the fast, the loss of blood (not huge but not nothing either) and the discomfort of the needle. Also... is she menstrual yet? I recall a Red Cross nurse years ago telling me that from her casual, non-scientific poll of donors over many years that just before and during your period it is often much harder on women than other times of their cycle.
#5 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Sounds like a reaction to fasting and blood being taken. So yeah, I think it sounds kinda normal.
#6 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, she's not menstruating yet, and I don't expect her to for a while.

I don't think it's just from the sight of blood because yesterday we were at the lab and DS and I both had blood taken (mine with a needle, ds with a finger prick that they had to keep milking). I think it's something physical.

Anyway, she's feeling better now.

#7 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Glad she made it through the blood donation okay and is doing better now.

If she was crying and upset, she might have hyperventilated a bit. That can leave you feeling dizzy and sick.
#8 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM

I ALWAYS get that way after having blood drawn. Have you had her tested for anemia? I'm pretty sure that is why I get those symptoms.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#9 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I ALWAYS get that way after having blood drawn. Have you had her tested for anemia? I'm pretty sure that is why I get those symptoms.
This was her first blood test in several years, if not her first blood test ever (excluding finger pricks in toddlerhood for WIC.) I'm not sure if anemia is one of the things they tested for.

#10 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
This was her first blood test in several years, if not her first blood test ever (excluding finger pricks in toddlerhood for WIC.) I'm not sure if anemia is one of the things they tested for.
Hmm... you may want to make sure they test for it. It's a VERY cheap and easy test. I developed it a year before I got my period and have been that way since (if I don't take my iron, that is).

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#11 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 PM

If you are hypoglycemic, then it's typical. Not exactly giving blood though...5 or 6 tubes for a 13 y o...should not cause a reaction of dizziness. I would guess it was the fasting.

Anemia can cause it, but usually only if you are actually donating half a pint to a pint.
#12 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

She's not 13- this is my 12yo and she's rather short for her age.

#13 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM

I dunno about that, mv, anything more than 3 tubes and I'm very dizzy and nauseous. How much it affects you also depends on the severity of your anemia. I'm sure it affects different people different ways. And especially if she doesn't have a previous history of having blood drawn and hasn't been tested for anemia yet, Ruth might just want to ask.

#14 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM

It can't hurt to ask. Especially if they ran basic blood work already: it's probably in there.

The reason I think it's more likely hypoglycemia is that she said she gets cranky and whiny with fasting. Dizziness CAN be just one step further.

There are probably at least 10 other explanations as well, yk?
#15 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
It can't hurt to ask. Especially if they ran basic blood work already: it's probably in there.

The reason I think it's more likely hypoglycemia is that she said she gets cranky and whiny with fasting. Dizziness CAN be just one step further.

There are probably at least 10 other explanations as well, yk?
Well, they only took the blood a few hours ago; we don't have any results yet.

#16 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

well my one dd (now 15) getts cranky and shaky if she fasts, and it seems that she has hypoglycemia, and she is also skinny. She also has mitral valve prolapse and the last time she fasted , got dizzy and her heart rate shot up.
Interesting that her first few fasts (religious days ) were fine and then this started happening. SHe is fine giving blood though, I think that with your dd it seems like a combination of fasting and giving blood could be it. Also I would look into both the anemia and hypoglycemia thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page