concerned, what's more likely? (TMI) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I finally went to the doctor after 4+ months straight (maybe more like 6 months??) of intestinal issues.

Abdominal pain, bloating (extreme), discomfort when large intestine prior to bowel movement, cramping (stabbing pains) so bad that I've had to kneel down in public and clench my teeth to keep from crying out in pain, straining (feeling constipated) only to find that there should have been no trouble passing given the size and consistancy, loose stool for the entire 4 to 6 months, pain begins within a 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 after eating anything (when food begins moving through the intestines, and just today when giving samples I noticed that there very well may be some blood mixed in (not just on the surface). To make matters and treatment worse I am also 19 weeks pregnant.The doc gave me three likely causes. He pretty much ruled out irratable bowel and food related causes. The 3 at the top of the list are:

infection: caused by eating food with bacteria in it or getting an irratant into a laceration in the intestinal wall. Causes pain and blockage from abses in the intestines.

paracite: ingesting and fecal matter of someone who is a host. Typically found in children. This isn't likly as I'm not around kids other than my own daughter and my neice (who aren't around other kids), neither of which have any symptoms. The other common way to get them is from untreated water. I haven't had any untreated water for years and even then it was well water that had easily passed testing for consumption.

a growth/tumor: (or several) in the colon or large intestine. These can start for a number of reason but, as the get bigger they become an issue of their own causing anything from one or two symptoms to cancer. Typically a colonoscopy has to be done because growths can so easily turn cancerous but, I wouldn't easily be able to do one due to being pregnant.

I find out if I have either of the first two by Monday but, I'm a bit worried. I don't know what is more likely. Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#2 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM

I don't have much expertise in this area, but didn't want to read without responding. And I also wanted to reassure you that colon cancer is very rare in people your age (I'm assuming you're still less than early 40s since you're pregnant).

My mom did have a cancerous colon polyp (or maybe a couple) when she was in her early 40s, but it was successfully removed, and I'm pretty sure she had blood in the stool for quite some time (more than a year) before she was finally diagnosed.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post

I don't have much expertise in this area, but didn't want to read without responding. And I also wanted to reassure you that colon cancer is very rare in people your age (I'm assuming you're still less than early 40s since you're pregnant).

My mom did have a cancerous colon polyp (or maybe a couple) when she was in her early 40s, but it was successfully removed, and I'm pretty sure she had blood in the stool for quite some time (more than a year) before she was finally diagnosed.
thank you for the response. I just turned 24... so yes, it would be young for cancerous stuff. However, I did forget to mention here and to the doctor (mostly because I was a bit embarrased about the entire issue and try to put it out of my head) that I do know of one growth or polyp just inside... well... um... the exit . I noticed it quite awhile ago, hoped it would go away, put it out of my mind for a good while. Just recently I'd still been noticing some pain there that I couldn't just right off as hemroids or anything simple and on the outside, so I checked and it's still there, still small, but bigger. Now I feel stupid for not remembering to mention it. Unfortunatly, that one alone wouldn't be causing the problems I'm having as far as I know. But, it could mean that I have more of them which could be causing the problem.

hmmmm.... more to worry about.

thank you again for resuring me of a similar situation turning out well!

#4 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
Abdominal pain, bloating (extreme), discomfort when large intestine prior to bowel movement, cramping (stabbing pains) so bad that I've had to kneel down in public and clench my teeth to keep from crying out in pain, straining (feeling constipated) only to find that there should have been no trouble passing given the size and consistancy, loose stool for the entire 4 to 6 months, pain begins within a 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 after eating anything (when food begins moving through the intestines, and just today when giving samples I noticed that there very well may be some blood mixed in (not just on the surface).
I had *every* single one of these issues - the intense pain, the tears, the diarrhea, the constipation, etc. I was miserable. NOBODY took me seriously - my PCP, my Endo, my Oncologist, etc. They told me that it was most likely my IBS kicking in, BUT I just knew that it wasn't. PCP wanted me to take something for IBS - I refused. Oncologist wanted me to take anti-depressants since it must have been in my head - I refused...and fired him. Turns out I am allergic to something in Synthroid (more than likely a filler or dye) and once I switched to a different medication it went away THAT DAY.

Is there *anything* that has changed in your diet? Your soap? Your plates? ANYthing that is somehow getting into your mouth?

I'm just so sorry. I know that pain. And it sucks. I can't even describe how much I understand.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
I had *every* single one of these issues - the intense pain, the tears, the diarrhea, the constipation, etc. I was miserable. NOBODY took me seriously - my PCP, my Endo, my Oncologist, etc. They told me that it was most likely my IBS kicking in, BUT I just knew that it wasn't. PCP wanted me to take something for IBS - I refused. Oncologist wanted me to take anti-depressants since it must have been in my head - I refused...and fired him. Turns out I am allergic to something in Synthroid (more than likely a filler or dye) and once I switched to a different medication it went away THAT DAY.

Is there *anything* that has changed in your diet? Your soap? Your plates? ANYthing that is somehow getting into your mouth?

I'm just so sorry. I know that pain. And it sucks. I can't even describe how much I understand.
Thank you. I can't think of anything new in the last 6 months or even a year. If anything I've removed things from my diet. The only thing I can think of is that I almost stopped eatig meat all together. About 10 or so months ago I decided to only eat organic freerange meats and since those are very expensive I only eat them about once every month or so. But, to fill in the gap I've been having more meat substitutes consisting of soy. Not sure if soy can have that effect or not... I'll do some searching. Funny, I don't much believe people of European background or whites in general (such as myself), North American origionation, or African background should eat your common soy products as we weren't built for it nor do we have the counterbalance foods that people in Aisa have along with it. Maybe I should find yet another way to substitute.

#6 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Yeah, look into the soy. You never know if it might be the issue...it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#7 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 PM

It could also be IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) that commonly shows up in late teen/early twenties. Usually after a pregnancy if you are female. That's what happened to me
You'll have to have a colonoscopy and you can have blood tests to check for inflammatory markers (which may or may not be elevated, even during a flare)... Eating a high fiber "healthy" diet makes it feel so much worse.
Hope that's not it. But that's what I thought upon reading because that's what I have.
Where is the pain located?

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#8 of 16 Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
It could also be IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) that commonly shows up in late teen/early twenties. Usually after a pregnancy if you are female. That's what happened to me
You'll have to have a colonoscopy and you can have blood tests to check for inflammatory markers (which may or may not be elevated, even during a flare)... Eating a high fiber "healthy" diet makes it feel so much worse.
Hope that's not it. But that's what I thought upon reading because that's what I have.
Where is the pain located?
both upper and lower. different pains at different times. hard to really say. when I had a high fiber diet when I was dieting after having my dd I felt good... so I don't think fiber makes things worse for me unless things have changed in the last year and a half.

#9 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Aside from the one polyp you found I had very similar symptoms and when I removed dairy and wheat I felt sooooo much better. The second I have some dairy or wheat the pain comes back with a vengence.

And yes, definitley look into soy as a culprit too- unfermented soy. Personally, I believe we are not meant to consume a lot of unfermented soy, it blocks so many nutrients from our bodies amongst other things.

The easiest and cheapest route to take first is an elimination diet. Of course a doc will tell you it has nothing to do with diet, they don't make money off a diet reccomendation!! I sure hope it is just diet related, the best of luck to you

Just wanted to add- it seemed that my indegestion issues got worse after I came off the pill. Birth control really does a number on our guts. Did you ever take birth control?

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#10 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 12:35 AM

Soy can absolutely cause tummy troubles. Soy shreds my stomach to pieces and it seems I've passed that along to both my kids as well. I supplemented with soy formula with DS 2 because I had low supply issues and he was starving all the time. At first it was OK but right around when he was four weeks old he lost his ability to poop on his own. Lots of pain, gas, bloating, etc... the only way he could go was with glycerin suppositories. We finally met up with a dr who told us to switch formulas to nutramagin and he pooped by himself for the very first time in weeks within a few hours.I am curious as to how your doctor has ruled out food issues. Have you done an elimination diet or IgG or IgE testing? Ultimately the elimination diet will truly tell whether your system can handle something or not. I would definitely try eliminating soy and using quinoa, beans and lentils for protein sources and see how you do.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#11 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 AM

I agree with eliminating soy to see if that's the issue. Obviously you can still get tested for the worse things, but it could just be a food intoleranace. Soy is horrible for my kids. And they say that edamame and soy sauce (young or fermented soy) is what Eastern countries use, and not soy everything (tofu, soy lecithin and soybean oil) like the Western countries do. And the unfermented soy is what is very difficult to digest.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#12 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Aside from the one polyp you found I had very similar symptoms and when I removed dairy and wheat I felt sooooo much better. The second I have some dairy or wheat the pain comes back with a vengence.

And yes, definitley look into soy as a culprit too- unfermented soy. Personally, I believe we are not meant to consume a lot of unfermented soy, it blocks so many nutrients from our bodies amongst other things.

The easiest and cheapest route to take first is an elimination diet. Of course a doc will tell you it has nothing to do with diet, they don't make money off a diet reccomendation!! I sure hope it is just diet related, the best of luck to you

Just wanted to add- it seemed that my indegestion issues got worse after I came off the pill. Birth control really does a number on our guts. Did you ever take birth control?
I only took oral BC for about a year around 2002-2003. It screwed my cycle up and could have been part of my issue TTC. It took me 2 years with dd. This time around it only took 2 months. I had tons... and I mean tons of ovarian cysts in the 2 years following BC. In the 2.5 years after having my dd I only had one or two. I think the BC has worked it's way out by now.

#13 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post
Soy can absolutely cause tummy troubles. Soy shreds my stomach to pieces and it seems I've passed that along to both my kids as well. I supplemented with soy formula with DS 2 because I had low supply issues and he was starving all the time. At first it was OK but right around when he was four weeks old he lost his ability to poop on his own. Lots of pain, gas, bloating, etc... the only way he could go was with glycerin suppositories. We finally met up with a dr who told us to switch formulas to nutramagin and he pooped by himself for the very first time in weeks within a few hours.I am curious as to how your doctor has ruled out food issues. Have you done an elimination diet or IgG or IgE testing? Ultimately the elimination diet will truly tell whether your system can handle something or not. I would definitely try eliminating soy and using quinoa, beans and lentils for protein sources and see how you do.
I've already eliminated many things from my diet and tried removing dairy for a period of time to see if it helped. It didn't seem to do much... and quite honestly I don't have much dairy. I easily go a day or two without if I'm not paying attention. I also have a fairly restricted diet anyway. Nothing enriched, I don't cook with oils (as it does a number on me), got rid of the authentic Mexican foods, authentic Asian foods, no white bread or pasta, only organic freerange meats, very little liquid milk, restricted cheeses, nothing spicy, no fast food, no alcohol (ever), nothing carbonated, and nothing with high fructose corn syrup. I tested out some foods that i thought may be an issue like fruits (I eat a ton), veggies, pasta, diary, etc and none made a huge difference. They only seem to agravate the existing problem. That and the way that it has presented are the reasons the doc gave for assuming it was not food related but rather that food sensitivity just made symptoms worse.

Also, what sorts of things are left for protein if you take out the soy (I don't get much meat due to my meat consumption rules)? Beans are horrid for me to have in this state as even air cannot pass without terrible pain. I couldn't really start that until my issues are already worked out. Maybe after a short time with no soy i will feel well enough to start thing like beans. Since I'm pregnant I do have to soak up the protein right now.

#14 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I agree with eliminating soy to see if that's the issue. Obviously you can still get tested for the worse things, but it could just be a food intoleranace. Soy is horrible for my kids. And they say that edamame and soy sauce (young or fermented soy) is what Eastern countries use, and not soy everything (tofu, soy lecithin and soybean oil) like the Western countries do. And the unfermented soy is what is very difficult to digest.
My dd ended up on soy formula because she absolutly could not handle the milk based. When she switched off of formula it was the opposite. She couldn't tolerate the soy milk (or the cows milk) but eventually adjusted to the cows milk. Then we found that she couldnm't handle the fat n cows milk so she had to switch to 0%. Now she has sinus issues so I took her off of liquid milk all together hoping that would help. My mom nor my brother can handle liquid milk. I just don't seem to have that issue. Never as a kid or teen or when pregnant with my dd. I went through a gallon every 2 days during my first pregnancy (no joke!). When taking it out for a week or two I didn't see any apparent changes. I also believe the same about soy oddly enough (that being a whitey I can't handle it and know that this country doesn't know the proper way to use the soy plant and consume it) however, with very little real meat I'm left searching for substance in my diet and a main dish other than pasta or rice based on my plate. The fake meats have come in handy to get my protein and provide a filling meal. Trying to figure out how to eliminate it.

#15 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 PM

I don't have any personal experience just like yours, but you may wish to consider speaking with a holistic care provider such as a nutritionist/dietician or perhaps a holistic provider who has a lot of expertise in the area of food sensitivities, allergies, or intolerances. Seems like from what friends have told me it can be hard to pin down whether these foods are aggravating an existing *something* as you have suggested, or whether the food has caused and continues to cause the irritation.

I think the healing the gut subforums have some great ideas re: enzymes and probiotics in addition to the recommendations you've gotten here. I really hope you can figure out something definitive and begin to be more well!

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#16 of 16 Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
Also, what sorts of things are left for protein if you take out the soy (I don't get much meat due to my meat consumption rules)? Beans are horrid for me to have in this state as even air cannot pass without terrible pain. I couldn't really start that until my issues are already worked out. Maybe after a short time with no soy i will feel well enough to start thing like beans. Since I'm pregnant I do have to soak up the protein right now.
Quinoa is a whole grain that is very high in protein, and edamame, while it is still soy, is fermented and most people that are soy intolerant find that they can eat edamame with no issue, which is also high in fiber and protein. Really the soy that i have found that can be extremely problematic is soy milk and analogue meats. They are highly processed. Can you do lentils or does that cause gas issues too?

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page