Does anyone get heart palpitations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason I've started having them in the past week or so. I'll feel this flutter and then it's like my heart skips a beat. Kind of a weird feeling! I gave up caffeine a couple days ago and also started taking magnesium to see if that helps but so far no difference. I was having a lot of anxiety last month but have been feeling pretty good this month. I'm not sure if they are from residual anxiety or what.

How do you know if palpitations are anything to worry about? I have a doctor's appt next week for something else so I'll ask him about them but was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 AM

They are usually related to caffeine (as you mentioned), allergies (particularly food allergies), and antihistamines.

They are also sometimes related to stress. The common factor among all these is cortisol production.

Over a very long time (many years) heart palpitations can sometimes lead to irregular heart beat. But not always, and only after a long time.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 AM

I have Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). I was diagnosed a few months after my father passed away. I was never given a reason for having them but, I think that it was the stress of my father's traumatic death. My heart sometimes gets a bit of extra electricity and it gets released in an extra heartbeat. It is nothing to worry about.... so I've been told.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
For some reason I've started having them in the past week or so. I'll feel this flutter and then it's like my heart skips a beat. Kind of a weird feeling! I gave up caffeine a couple days ago and also started taking magnesium to see if that helps but so far no difference. I was having a lot of anxiety last month but have been feeling pretty good this month. I'm not sure if they are from residual anxiety or what.

How do you know if palpitations are anything to worry about? I have a doctor's appt next week for something else so I'll ask him about them but was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.
Every palpitation is something to bring up w/ your HCP.

If it feels like your heart is skipping beats, you likely are experiencing PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) or PACs (premature atrial contractions). THese are really common, and can usually be controlled easily, if not with diet, then with meds or an ablation.

They are something to bring up, though. Don't forget to mention it to your HCP just because it isn't happening the moment you have an appt.

love. penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 07-10-2008, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
I have Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). I was diagnosed a few months after my father passed away. I was never given a reason for having them but, I think that it was the stress of my father's traumatic death. My heart sometimes gets a bit of extra electricity and it gets released in an extra heartbeat. It is nothing to worry about.... so I've been told.
Just to clarify: PVCs *are* something to worry about if (IF) they cause symptoms that are problematic...like shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, fear, or panic.

They are treated as a problem in the ambulance by re-setting the electrical charge in your heart...a.k.a., cardioversion. It's not fun, and you don't want to go through it if you don't have to.

I've had PVCs for twenty years, and another electrical problem along with that...if you can afford it and want to deal with it, radio ablation usually takes care of the problem.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 AM

I have hypothyroidism and need to adjust my dosage of meds every year or so... if my dose is too high (making me have symptoms of hyperthyroidism then I get palpitations. Maybe get your thyroid levels checked out to see if this might be a problem for you.

And as a pp said, you really should get any palpitations checked out by a HCP. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Just to clarify: PVCs *are* something to worry about if (IF) they cause symptoms that are problematic...like shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, fear, or panic.

They are treated as a problem in the ambulance by re-setting the electrical charge in your heart...a.k.a., cardioversion. It's not fun, and you don't want to go through it if you don't have to.

I've had PVCs for twenty years, and another electrical problem along with that...if you can afford it and want to deal with it, radio ablation usually takes care of the problem.

love, penelope
Penelope- When I feel the the extra heartbeat, so far I don't feel any of the above symptoms. Thankfully. It maybe happens once a week. However, I do occasionally get moments where my heart beats very rapidy for 30 seconds to a minute. After this happened for the first time my doc told me to lay my fingers on the main vein in my neck. I can't remember the name of the vein right now. Then I have to apply pressure until the rapid beat goes away. Again he acted like there is nothing to worry about.

Celia

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone!

I'll be sure to mention them next week at the doctor's but I won't stress about them until then.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last year I was eating way more sugary foods than I should have been and I started to get all the health problems associated with high sugar consumption - tired, weight gain, mood swings etc... but, I also started getting heart palpitations. I started paying attention to when they were happeneing and it seemed to happen around sugar consumption.

I quit eating sugar the day after Thanksgiving last year. I haven't touched a bite since then and within a few days, the heart palpitations were gone and I've never had them again.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Heart palpitations are common in thyroid conditions.
Also, if experiencing anxiety as well it may be worth testing your adrenals.

If adrenals are struggling it can effect not only cortisol production, but aldosterone and adrenaline as well. When Aldosterone is low ppl get heart palps from sodium imbalances. It's quite common.

I think it's good you've added magnesium. It will likely help, but will take a bit of time.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:03 PM

I’ve had them on and off since I was a teen. In my early 20’s I had the full check-up for that and the cardiologist found nothing.

They have been dramatically better over the past few years expect when I tried to do a raw vegan diet (big mistake!). They returned with a vengeance to the point that it was hard to breathe during an episode. As soon as I gave that diet up, they vanished. I still haven’t found the exact reason for it yet, but for me they were diet/nutrition related – that much I know.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 AM

I also have hyperthyroid and get exactly what you are describing -PACs and PVCs. I actually take a beta blocker to lessen them, because a few months ago I was having them constantly - like all day. They aren't dangerous, but if you notice that your heart starts racing or beating very fast OR you feel dizzy, call an ambulance - and don't wait. Usually they are nothing to worry about, if you have these two symptoms call an ambulance.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Definitely get your doc to rule out thyroid or other issues. Chances are it's nothing. My doc told me that everyone has them but not everyone feels them! Mine are quite pronounced and tend to freak me out. The two things that help me the most is a visit to the chiropractor and taking magnesium on a regular basis. It took two weeks of taking mag to notice a difference but I've hardly noticed them since I started the mag regularly.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Traycanadian - What kind / how much magnesium do you take? I was thinking of ordering some Natural Calm.

I actually had my thyroid checked last month and the test results were normal. So I don't think it's from my thyroid.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
They have been dramatically better over the past few years expect when I tried to do a raw vegan diet (big mistake!). They returned with a vengeance to the point that it was hard to breathe during an episode. As soon as I gave that diet up, they vanished. I still haven’t found the exact reason for it yet, but for me they were diet/nutrition related – that much I know.
it may have been that you had low iron levels, due to your vegan diet. i used to have a lot of palpitations (so did my mom, but she also has mitrovalve prolapse). i pretty much stopped having them about 5 months into my pregnancy (and i was taking prenatals with iron). they came back this past year (2 years pp), but much less frequently. i did notice that they seemed to appear during or just after my period. so, i'm thinking i may have depleted my iron reserves (stopped taking prenatals 3 months pp). so, although i don't like to take iron pills, i try to eat more meat, cook with an iron skillet, reduce my calcium intake around those types of meals at that time of the month (calcium reduces iron absorption), and make sure to take a lot of vitamin c (increases iron absorption). it appears to have helped this month, as i have not yet had a palpitation.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkfum View Post
it may have been that you had low iron levels, due to your vegan diet. i used to have a lot of palpitations (so did my mom, but she also has mitrovalve prolapse). i pretty much stopped having them about 5 months into my pregnancy (and i was taking prenatals with iron). they came back this past year (2 years pp), but much less frequently. i did notice that they seemed to appear during or just after my period. so, i'm thinking i may have depleted my iron reserves (stopped taking prenatals 3 months pp). so, although i don't like to take iron pills, i try to eat more meat, cook with an iron skillet, reduce my calcium intake around those types of meals at that time of the month (calcium reduces iron absorption), and make sure to take a lot of vitamin c (increases iron absorption). it appears to have helped this month, as i have not yet had a palpitation.
The funny thing about that is, I was eating TONS of greens daily, spriluna, sea veggies and even some liquid chlorophyll. I cant see where I was low.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
Traycanadian - What kind / how much magnesium do you take? I was thinking of ordering some Natural Calm.

I actually had my thyroid checked last month and the test results were normal. So I don't think it's from my thyroid.
I take Natural Calm. It's the only kind I've tried but it seems to work for me.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 AM

I've had the same type of heart palpitations for about 3 years now. I also have moderate adrenal fatigue. They started up during a time of high stress and have continued since. I take lots of mag citrate daily (to bowel tolerance) which seems to help but I think what has helped the most is taking CoQ10. I hardly ever noticed them after taking it for a little while and now that I ran out a month or so ago I'm noticing them much more frequently.

What's most frustrating about all this is that I went to the doctor, spent a lot of money to be told that it wasn't serious as long as there were no other symptoms, and wasn't given any suggestions about how to resolve it. I had to go online and find it for myself (okay, rant over )
Old 07-17-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post

What's most frustrating about all this is that I went to the doctor, spent a lot of money to be told that it wasn't serious as long as there were no other symptoms, and wasn't given any suggestions about how to resolve it. I had to go online and find it for myself (okay, rant over )
Isn't that what they usually say??

I asked my doctor and he figured they are just from anxiety or something. No suggestions other than decreasing caffeine. I ordered some Natural Calm, I'll see if that helps.

I also read that palpitations can start around menopause. I'm 42 so that could be a possibility but I do still get my period every month.

So yeah, who knows why but it doesn't seem to be a big deal which is good.

Thanks for the info!!

User Tag List