Hand Foot and Mouth disease? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know much about this, and if there is anything that can speed up recovery?? My bestfriend's daughter 1yo has it and they have a wedding they are going to out of state! She's worried about her little one being uncomfortable during the vacation...
#2 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Curious to know b/c tomorrow is DS' first day of daycare & some kid has it in thet infant room - it isn't on the reported infectious diseases list so kid is still in classroom. DS is 14 weeks on Wed. & I am freaking out!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#3 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 AM

This must be the time of year for it.

Both of my children have it right now. DD is 1 year and DS is almost 3.

DD has only shown one blister on each foot, one on her thumb, and one on her tongue. She has done quite well. DS has had 2 on his hands and around 20 in the back of his mouth. He was in a lot of pain for about a day and a half. The severity differs with each kid.

I might go to the wedding. Is she through with the fever? If not, I'd cancel. If they do go to the wedding and she becomes uncomfortable then go back to the hotel. They should also try to have soft food and popsicles available.

As for the tiny baby in daycare. After know about the illness, I would try and keep the babe away. I know it might not be possible but the virus can be passsed back and forth. It's not on the infectious disease list because it is labeled as a harmless disease. That's why kids can go back to daycare and school after the fever is gone.

My doc told me that the kids are still contagious for up to 3 days after the blisters are gone.

This disease can act like chicken pox. You can be infected and not show signs and then get immunity. Once you get it, you shouold be immune to it for the rest of your life. Most adults are immune and/or have the strength in their immune systems to fend it off.

You can't speed up recovery, you can only give pain reliever for fever if you wish and to help relieve any discomfort. It can get bad enough to where a child will not eat. Then I feel it's really important to take your child in for extra help relieving the pain. I think that a stronger tylenol is given.

Good luck and I hop that all of these children stay healthy and recover fast!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#4 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 03:52 PM

3 of my kids recently had it with just sores in mouth/throat. We used SA( sodium ascorbate) very succesfully and they were fine within a few days.
#5 of 5 Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I want to add that the virus can still be shed even after the symptoms are gone. It is most contagious, and highly contagious I might add, the first week. After that it remains in the body for weeks and can be passed on to others, it is just not as likely.

I know exactly how and who we got hand foot and mouth disease from, the children had been symptoms free for a week, but all it took was toddler DD2 grabbing a sippy cup of their's and trying to take a drink.

It took almost 2 weeks for my girls to be back to themselves, SA would speed up the process up but I'd suspect the child would still not be happy. My 1 year old was a screaming, pooping, not sleeping, non-walking, and non-eating (because of the blisters) mess for a good week.

ETA: I'm usually not a fan of the CDC guidelines but here is one for you New Natural Mom saying that it is shed for weeks.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...virus/hfhf.htm

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page