What age for exposure to chicken pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a 10 month old. Is it too early to expose him to chicken pox? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 12:21 AM

Can't say for sure dear. My bff's dd had them at 9 mos. and she had a good bout but she couldn't really organize good scratching. But that meant she was uber miserable and fussy. But had little scarring. My dd got them at 4 1/2 which seemed a good time for us. She was old enough to grasp trying not to scratch, and did really well with them. But my ds who is 3 1/2 right now has not had them and we are trying to wait on intentional exposure for a while cause he is all about picking the living daylights out of any boo boo. I guess it would depend on your kiddo. It is summer (lots of sunlight) which will be a boost to his immune system while he deals with it. And he may still be young enough to really obsess over the scabs. But he is old enough that I would not worry he might get really sick with them. Like a little bitty babe would.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 AM

Dd was exposed at 12 months, but nothing happened (she was pretty much still EBF at this point). She was exposed again at about 18 months, had 5-6 spots (no scars), no fever, some crabbiness for a few days and that was it.

I got CP when I was 6 months old (I was also breastfed), and got 1 scar from it. I think that having your LO get CP at a younger age is easier at least in managing the itchiness that goes with it.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.

User Tag List