Another Lice remedy from me to you - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recall a while back that I had one child w/head lice and it grossed me out and I listed a whole buncha stuff that I did that contained it to one child and got rid of it, relatively quickly.

Well, after one good day of sandbox play (apparently they can hang out in the sand and wait for a new host to climb on. ewww) I found that my kids were a bit too itchy on the head. All of them. I immediately freaked out then got my bearings. I tinkered in my herbal cabinet and this is what I did this last go-round. If you've ever had head lice or dealt w/it, you know how hard it can be to erradicate so I'm sharing my latest and greatest findings.

New ideas for resistant lice:
1) mayo bag head still works, but this time I did olive oil head bagging (IF there is a new next time, I'm gonna do coconut oil). For head bagging, it is just that: saturate head, concentrating on scalp, around ears, and neckline. Leave on at least 3 hours in a shower cap or tightly wrap a plastic bag over the head (use common sense-bags suffocate more than buggers). This part of the process "suffocates" live lice and possibly even makes it hard for the eggs to stay attached to the shaft.

2) rinse that out after 3+ hours or sleeping in overnight, then do a a vinegar rinse. I use white vinegar. This definitely makes it hard for eggs to stick.

3) wash w/coconut shampoo. I've heard both-that the ingredients in it decompose or break down exoskeletons, so you are essentially "frying" bugs and eggs, and also that they don't like the smell

4) topical tx for use during washing regimine and/or as a daily topical to keep them away (this is based on the premises of stinkin it up so that the bugs don't want to come and play, making the head greasy so that they can't hide out and eggs can't attach to the hairs, and again w/the "frying" of bugs and eggs). I went w/a parts measuring system, so one part EOs to 3 parts carrier oils for diluting the essential oils. I used 5 drops each of eucalyptus, tto, rosemary, and lemongrass. I diluted w/coconut and calendula as my carrier oils. I would have done straight coconut, but I didn't have enough. I mixed it up, put it in a spritzer bottle, and applied it topically, both as an overnight tx and as a daily preventive measure. Yeah, we all smelled funny. Like lemons and anticeptic.

5) nit pic nit pic nit pic. The combing is probably about the most effective part of any process I've tried. I"ve learned that I prefer the super fine metal combs to the plastic ones. You can buy the combs at most pharmacies.

6) get out the vacuum and do the laundry, daily and on hot. I wasn't even gonna fool w/bagging stuff or throwing things away. I just washed and vacuumed the bejesus out of everything daily. This is due diligence, here. A true test of "how many loads CAN I do in one day", and, how many hose attachments do I own b/c I'm vacuuming beds, people. Some sources say no need. I say if I have 3 w/active infestations, I'm washing and vacc'in everything.

Everyone is again lice/louse/nit/egg free and we all have super shiny, soft hair. The youngest's cradle cap is even finally going away after years of him having it. We should be too greasy and stinky for anything to want to crawl into our heads. I wouldn't even wanna be in my head right now.

I just thought I'd pass this info along b/c this last outbreak was our 3rd and worst. This one got all the kids and I'm still not sure I didn't have it myself, though I never found any live buggers on my own head. Better safe than sorry.

P.S. Please remember that eo's are real deal and not to be taken lightly. Some can have contraindications and adverse effects such as chemical burns and whatnot. Always use good judgement, be careful if anyone being treated has respiratory or asthma conditions, and use care and common sense with respect to the age of the person being treated. I'm just not down w/over the counter "pesticides" in our heads, so I like my own spray. So far, I give it two thumbs up.
#2 of 8 Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM

I love it!! I have giving my patients the toxic crud for lice. I usually suggest olive oil and then put on a swimming cap overnight. I didn't know about the coconut oil. Thanks for the info!
#3 of 8 Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Awww, thank YOU for replying. I sincerely hope this helps someone, anyone. I feel like a court jester putting on my doctor's cap wrt lice. I am actually now well read up on lice in general, down to life cycles, egg laying cycles, and all that.

Which brings up another good point I omitted: due diligence w/checking and nit combing. One egg is all it takes. In my house, anyway. One female can hatch 3 times a day so if you didn't find her and heads were clear in the am, it doesn't mean more eggs weren't hatched at least two more times later in that same day....which is why the cycle is SO hard to break. They are almost as resiliant as cockroaches. Thank goodness they aren't that hard core. yet. they are resistant to the ovc remedies which is yet another reason why I like my herbal remedies. I just hope they work for everyone!

Anyone-feel free to reply or pm me on your results, esp if you use any of my ideas. I KNOW this IS embarrassing. We are clean. We live well. bugs don't discriminate. Lice actually like clean heads. Lice are a bugger, indeed.
#4 of 8 Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions! I will bookmark this for the upcoming school year...

When my DD got 'em we used mayo and the shower cap, followed by a tea tree oil shampoo and diluted mist. That killed all the adults and then I did the vinegar rinse with nit-picking. I had the comb BUT the nits were so small, it was easier using my fingers. I'm still not sure why, the nit comb just ran over them. For good measure I used that Cetaphil shellac on the head method three weeks in a row and it may have worked, but now, due to all of these things my poor DD's hair is in really bad condition. I'm sure we'lll deal with lice again, they are really common here.
#5 of 8 Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ick, you wanna know why, macheetah? b/c they were so new, the eggs. Here we go: life cycle is about 30 days, period for any given louse. IF you have a female, she can lay eggs, get this-I've read btwn 3 and 5 times in ONE single day. The closer to the scalp, and smaller the egg, the newer it is. << shudders >> They sit as eggs for a nymph period for up to 8 days before they hatch. Some hatch sooner.

Another problem w/my easy greasy scalp is that if the eggs are on the hair shafts already and the head is oiled down and nothing broke down the egg (like my "frying" stuff), then the combs actually comb over and don't pick out the eggs....head is too oily for combs too. You'll comb whole sections but never individual strands. It is so gross to me, to think about.

In that case, you go back to vinegar rinse or you do a dawn dish soap wash before nit combing, after your washings and head baggings. You gotta do all this stuff stepwise and in order or you miss a step and an egg can live. I get all skeeved out just thinking about it.

One egg is all it takes. In our house, anyway. nit pic, nit pic, nit pic....to ad nauseum and then repeat. The combing is probably the most key. The rest is probably just really helpful. It is all gross.
#6 of 8 Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

thank you.

5yo DD just started kindy two weeks ago, and we found lice yesterday. she's staying home from school today and we're starting treatment. sigh. i'll let you know how it goes.
#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

OMGosh, that is ironic that I'm on here right now to see this. You want I should send you some eucalyptus spray?

Also, hair funk her up once it is gone-like gels, sprays, mousse, and whatever else they wouldn't want to get up in.

I feel for ya.

Wash and vac everything. Don't forget to do the ride too, esp her carseat and/or butt booster.

BEST WISHES to you!
#8 of 8 Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
OMGosh, that is ironic that I'm on here right now to see this. You want I should send you some eucalyptus spray?

Also, hair funk her up once it is gone-like gels, sprays, mousse, and whatever else they wouldn't want to get up in.

I feel for ya.

Wash and vac everything. Don't forget to do the ride too, esp her carseat and/or butt booster.

BEST WISHES to you!

eta: we've been using mousse daily since the eucalyptus became too over the top a way to live, even cut w/some bad trial and errors like nag champa. Anyway, we've been lice free since this post. knocks on wood. If you hear a tree fall over, I banged hard. I don't want them back. That was some gross and worrisome stuff. Man, I'll take chicken pox over headlice anyday. Why can't big harma make a head lice vaccine?! I might just get on board w/that. kidding. I have a very sideways and dark sense of humor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page