Treating Measles Naturally - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2002, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Please share whatever you know or have heard of for treating measles naturally.

#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2002, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Here's a bit of what I've got:

Vitamin A can be protective but the correct dosage is important. Perhaps someone can provide some guidelines?

Ayurvedic medicine - Ginger or clove tea can help to hasten the progress of the disease. Herbs like bupleurum (chai-hu) and peppermint will help induce the eruptions which will further help the disease progress. An ayurvedic treatment is a concoction of the herb khubkalan (one teaspoon to every two cups of water) mixed with some raisins which is boiled and taken every hour. Also a baking soda bath (1/2 cup baking soda in a bath of warm water) which reduces the itching.

Cicada is a very effective Traditional Chinese Medicine prescription.

Herbs - To help the itching - distilled witch hazel. To ease the discomfort in the eyes - an eyewash made from a thoroughly filtered infusion of eyebright.

#3 of 14 Old 04-01-2002, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many homeopathic remedies that can help with measles. I won't post them here as each case has different symptoms. Check out either Dana Ullman's or Andrew Lockie's books on homeopathy for children.
#4 of 14 Old 04-01-2002, 04:29 PM

The vit A should be natural vit A from cold water fish oils, as opposed to retinyl palmitate, & is frequently given until photophobia is alleviated. It has been given in large doses over a couple of days in clinical trials which can be looked up at PubMed.

For any infection I always give sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance in juice, NAC, zinc & selenium. Zinc would be of particular importance with measles, as it can frequently infect the GI tract, resulting in diarrhea & zinc loss. I would also go way easy with fats, with the exception of PUFA sources.

If itching is a problem, some people find colloidal oatmeal baths soothing.
#5 of 14 Old 04-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Vitamin A is also mentioned over at the measles section at
http://www.ias.org.nz/

A key thing to remember is NO antipyretics! We must remember fever is good. It is the mechanism the body uses to burn up the bad guys. If one has a child with a high fever for a PROLONGED period of time and really seems to be suffering, there are homeos and the wet socks.

Oh yeah, we need to also realize that it may be wise to only offer the child liquids for a brief period of time in order to allow the body to use all its available energy for healing. It takes a great deal of energy to digest food. Often times, the body itself will turn off the appetite so that we won't want food while sick. So especially if a child indicates lack of hunger, don't attempt to force food. I know it's so ingrained in us to eat to "keep up our strength" so we need to be cognizant of this tool the body uses to heal itself.
#7 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 09:37 AM

From Aviva Romm-Herbalist & midwife

1 ounce echinacea tincture
1/2 ounce cleavers tincture
1/2 ounce burdock root tincture
1/2 ounce dandelion root tincture
1/2 ounce Chinese skullcap
1/2 ounce catnip
1/2 ounce black cohosh tincture
1/4 ounce anise seed tincture
1/2 ounce licorice root tincture(omit if hypertensive or has kidney or adrenal disease)
1/2 ounce vegetable glycerin
Combine all herbs & give 1/4-1teaspoon up to every 3 hours during the acute phase of illness & every 4 hours as the illness subsides.

::
momma to 4
#8 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

What about rubella? Would there be any difference in treating it?

#9 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 11:02 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks Cynthia for starting this thread,I know very little about measles,but I will print this out and keep it in my files!! Thanks!
#10 of 14 Old 04-05-2002, 03:46 PM

FROM VACCINATIONS:A THOUGHTFUL PARENTS GUIDE-by Aviva Romm-Generally mild disease-use herbs that are anti-viral,support immunity, & promote healthy lymph node activity.

VIRAL LYMPH FORMULA
2 ounces echinacea tincture
1/2 ounce calendula tincture
1/2 ounce licorice(or lemon balm-do not use licorice if high blood pressure,kidney,adrenal disease)
1/4 ounce thyme tincture
1/4 ounce cleavers tincture
1/2 ounce vegetable glycerin

Store in a glass jar & give 1/4-1 teaspoon every 2 hours for 2-3 days then every 4 hours till symptoms are gone.
You can also use the measles tincture.
For itching-add 1 tablespoon each of calendula,echinacea,lavender & peppermint tinctures to 1 cup of witch hazel-apply to rashy areas as needed.

::
momma to 4
#11 of 14 Old 04-06-2002, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

My pleasure Saige. I'm hoping for an education here myself.

May I ask again...would rubella be treated with the same remedies/approach? Or is there something of more concern with rubella?

~Cynthia

#12 of 14 Old 02-12-2003, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i was poking around in old threads and thought this was very interesting.

eventhough, there was a recent report that there were only 48 cases of measles last year in the united states. I still think this is a very fruitful thread.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#13 of 14 Old 02-12-2003, 11:28 AM

Hmmm...I don't know that I'd give cohosh to a child, but to each his own.

Rubella usually isn't that big of a deal. A lot of people don't even know they've got it & if they do it's usually pretty mild, often vague enough symptoms that you wouldn't necessarily know it was rubella that you had. I would probably use a general immune support approach. In addition to those things I already mentioned, I frequently use echinacea & astragalus in combination.
#14 of 14 Old 02-12-2003, 04:40 PM

wow guess this post comes just in time I asked a ? over on vaccination aobut hte shedding of measles virus from vaccine. My dd 2 was around alittle boy to weeks in a row the day after his shot and a week later UGGH so we are boosting vit c and Vit A alittle and eating well lots of nursing hoping we dont get it.

Any one have any info on shedding?
Holistic momma?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page