I feel like I'm getting sick... Give me your remedies for staving it off! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom has the list of things a person should do/take right when they feel like they're getting sick, including Elderberry syrup, Emergen-C, ginger, I can't remember what else. I have a headache, a little bit of a sore throat and a general yucky feeling.

Do you have any remedies for me? ::

Rachel, mommy to Ella (10/19/06) and Kaia (1/4/10), wife to Michael . Just another vegan, attachment parenting, homebirthing, UU & Buddhist, CLWing, bedsharing, vegetable gardening, Bay Area crunchy mom!
#2 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Spicy thai food. Really! The spicier, the better.
#3 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM

zicam always works wonders for me, if i take it at the first signs of colds, it seems like most of the time the cold either wont develop, or it will be a very short and mild cold (in contrast to my friends that i have caught it from).

i also to wet sock therapy every night, three nights in a row if i'm feeling real crummy.
#4 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Vitamin D -- and the great thing is, you can get it through sunshine!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 12 Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbirdy View Post
zicam always works wonders for me, if i take it at the first signs of colds, it seems like most of the time the cold either wont develop, or it will be a very short and mild cold (in contrast to my friends that i have caught it from).

i also to wet sock therapy every night, three nights in a row if i'm feeling real crummy.
Zicam works for me too. Not to sidetrack, but what is wet sock therapy? Thanks!

B.
Mama to : July '06
#6 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 AM

If I feel like that, I take a mega dose of vitamin C, like maybe 2-3 grams, then a gram every few hours. With a sore throat, I would spray some ehinacea/propolis throat spray by Herb Pharm in my throat, and/or gargle with warm salt water. I would make a hot drink with honey, lemon, crushed garlic and ginger, and a dash of cayenne, and drink it as hot as I could stand it. I would also crush some garlic on a spoon, cover with raw honey, and swallow it whole. Depending on what I had time to do. If I was still trying to do everything and had a busy day, and didn't really feel that bad, my biggest prevention things are vitamin C, and possibly a thymic protein supplement, and maybe the garlic.

Hope you feel better!
#7 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eat two medium/large cloves (not the whole bulb) of fresh raw garlic, followed by a glass of water (you'll need it). It will burn your tongue and maybe make you throw up, but it is totally worth it, because it WORKS.
#8 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM

i'm a big fan of vitamin c too. i have pure vitamin c crystals i get from vitamin world (a teaspoon of it is 5000 mg)...i mix it with juice or V8. it's pretty tart, but juices are usually so sweet that a little tartness kinda cuts the sweetness! in addition to that, i also try to drink lots of water and stay away from sugar and caffeine...and maybe try to go to bed a little earlier than usual. no miracle cures here, but every little bit helps!

sorry you're feeling icky...hope you're back in tip-top shape soon!

Adoring wife to my DH since 9/04, SAHM to biggrinbounce.gifDS(9/07)
stork-suprise.gif due 2/3/2011joy.gif
#9 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Vitamin C seems to help me... not sure how much is placebo though . Since you have a sore throat I'm not sure if I'd suggest citrus juice though... so maybe carrot juice?

Honey is great for sore throats, mixed with herbal tea preferably. For the headache a bit of dark chocolate might help. Push fluids, rest, and I hope you feel better ASAP!
#10 of 12 Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM

A very hot bath and early to bed.
#11 of 12 Old 07-26-2008, 12:00 AM

oil of oregano under the tongue. sodium ascorbate mega dosing. i can't tell you how many bugs i've averted using those two. i'm a professional musician (including vocalist) so getting sick means not getting paid.

good luck
#12 of 12 Old 07-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Echinacea and goldenseal in water. Then get some sleep. Tastes awful. Works wonders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page