Raging PMS - any good supplements for this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a couple of days each cycle I get raging PMS. I get bloated, mild upset stomach/gas, and worst of all are my mood swings. I get very angry and venomous at the slightest provocation, I am cranky and moody and prone to tears. I am *not* pleasant to be around. Once my period shows up my symptoms magically disappear. I really really don't want to subject my family to my horrid mood swings any more.

I know there are prescription meds available for things like this, but I'd really like to try something natural. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Have you tried adjusting your diet? The reason I ask is I use to have really bad PMS, but I started the Weight Watcher Core program (prior to getting pregnant). After about two cycles I started feeling much better.

So I wonder if eliminating/decreasing sugar, refined foods, white flours. Increasing fruit, vegies, use good fats, would help.

Just a thought, since thats the only thing I could think of at the time was helping me.

I am just starting my first cycle since having my 3rd baby. I was moody this past week. But I was also in alot of pain since I feel down the stairs and messed up my foot/ankle. I am also not eating right either. Too much ice cream.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

You know, adjusting my diet is probably in order. We don't eat many refined foods, but I do need to steer myself away from carbs and eat more veggies (fruits I already eat tons of). I crave carbs/sweet things when I am PMSing - that should tell me something.

I hope you feel better - having a messed up foot/ankle on top of your period sounds no fun!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

Magnesium supplementation, specially magnesium citrate. We use Natural Calm. Most women are have low magnesium levels, especially, pregnant and nursing mamas. http://www.naturalcalm.net/

Also, taking evening primrose capsules, the week of PMS has helped.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaPia View Post
I am *not* pleasant to be around. Once my period shows up my symptoms magically disappear. I really really don't want to subject my family to my horrid mood swings any more.
I suffered from the exact same type of thing for many years -- since puberty, really, and now I'm in my 40s, so... a very long time. Eventually what was PMS grew into full-fledged chronic depression and for over 15 years I took numerous medications trying to control it.

What turned it around for me was a major diet change. I also found magnesium to be helpful. Basically what both PPs said.

I would start by making sure you have adequate protein and good fats in your diet--what has worked best for me is dense sources of protein, like eggs and meat. I tend to be anemic if I'm not careful, and this gets worse during my periods, so red meat makes me feel best during PMS/TOM. As for fats, I use mostly animal fats like butter, lard, duck fat and so on. I use olive oil but avoid vegetable oils, canola, soy, and other highly processed oils. Avocadoes are another good source of fats.

Eliminate or reduce sugar, caffeine, white flour products, and refined foods in general. Avoid artificial sweeteners, colors, additives, etc. Eat a whole foods nutrient-rich diet as much as possible.

If this doesn't help, or doesn't help completely, you might want to experiment with certain food groups, like dairy and grain, to see how they are affecting you. This year I cut out dairy and most grains--eliminated for a few weeks, then re-introduced them to see how my body responded--and it turns out that grains make me very fatigued and dairy makes me very depressed. I feel so much better without these foods in my diet! I wish I had known this 20 years ago...

Along with diet changes, consider getting your hormone levels checked. Low progesterone can be a culprit in PMS.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Here are some links to another forum I frequent that might be helpful-
http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc...544&pst=696714
http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc...544&pst=787616

There is just too much info there for me to list. And yes, a diet change mey be in order as well.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the suggestions and links. You've all given me a lot of great leads. I'll definitely be addressing my diet, and looking at my supplement intake.

User Tag List