moisturizing socks for 3yo with eczema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has eczema and it gets so bad on her feet that her toes crack deeply and bleed and hurt her terribly. ( We moisturize often and we've systematically eliminated foods known to be triggers to no avail. While we look for the culprit, I'm trying to find some sort of socks she can wear at night to keep her moisturizing salve concentrated on her feet. (A local lady here makes her a fantastic organic herb balm for her.) I can find gel-lined moisturizing socks in spa type specialty stores, but only in adult sizes. Has anyone seen something like this in a child's size or know anyone who might be able to make them for us?

Any other tips for treating eczema would also be quite helpful!

Thanks!!

Candice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Could you just super moisturize & then put cotton socks on top?

When my Mom's feet become really bad she puts them in plastic bags & then into socks.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 PM

How about lanolising some woolen socks? Would that be too hot?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM

I have a patch of ugly scaly skin on my ankle. I've had good luck smearing it thickly with lanolin, and then wearing pure wool socks over top all night.

Unfortunately, the only way I know of to really deal with eczema is to identify the triggers or allergens. Keep looking for a cause-- it might be something you never thought of, like recently we discovered that my DS is sensitive to CLOVER of all things, and it was rolling around and playing in a field full of it that was causing a rash he had.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of wool socks. We keep the house pretty cool these days, so I don't think they would make her feel any warmer than having gel type socks. The cotton ones just seem to absorb the balm, that's what we do now.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM

I had this exact thing growing up. It would get so bad I could barely walk. Good thing is I eventually grew out of it by puberty (12-13yrs old).

My mom used to put cortisone on my feet at night and cover them with cotton socks. It helped a little bit, but the doc used to tell her I needed to air them out as much as possible (no sweating).

There are so many products out there claiming to help eczema. Maybe you could try an all natural one. I am thinking of buying this for my LO for his eczema on his arms and legs.

HTH

User Tag List