Alternatives to tonsillectomy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 yr old son has had snoring problems since birth. I feel they are directly related to his allergies, and they worsen considerably in the Indoor Allergy months of winter.

He has "large tonsills" according to an ENT we saw recently (my mother was told the same about my sister and me, so maybe it's genetic and "normal" for us?), who then referred us for a sleep study.

The sleep study showed what I suspected and it's not just snoring. He has severe apnea and many periods/night where he is breathing so shallowly he's not pulling enough oxygen. The result, according to the sleep doctor is poor concentration and retention, behavioral results, reduced immune system function, etc. The kinds of things you see in adults with sleep deprivation.

The pat answer is to remove his tonsills. Funny me, but I think the tonsills actually DO something and are a natural part of the body, and if they're not threatening his life they should probably be left alone if at all possible.

So, what I'm looking for is suggestions and/or resources that might show me the "if at all possible" part. TIA!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would definitely get another opinion. When I was little I was an allergic mess. Fortunately I had a forward thinking dr at the time who said *not* to take them out because It is easier to treat infection when you can find it than having to hunt it down. I know that's a little different than your situation. What about those shrink sprays or one of those apnea machines? I don't have fabulous ideas, but {{hugs!}} Keep looking until you get the idea that sounds right to you. In the meantime, can he sleep near you? Mama's heart rate & breathing help regulate lo's when they are close by.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2

User Tag List