Dark undereye circles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate 'em! I have very low deep circles, almost blue, all the time. I've had them all my life. I remember having them in grade school even. Some people say they are hereditary. My mom and grandma have them, my one little brother has them too. I don't want makeup techniques on how to cover them up, I want to know how to make them go AWAY! I know it's not because I don't get enough sleep. At the moment I have a 12 month old so I can use more sleep, but, at times in my life where I was getting a solid 8-9 hours I still had the same circles. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've read of three causes that ring true for me/my family: food allergies/intolerances, adrenal fatigue, and overall body toxicity.

I used to think it was mostly genetic/skin coloring, since I've had them as long as I can remember and I am Caucasian and very pale, but my daughter (Hispanic hubby) is noticeably brownish (very different from me) and she has them too.

I saw my daughter's dark circles get significantly lighter 2-3 weeks after we cut out gluten (and dairy, but I think the gluten was the major culprit for us). And her dark circles have been getting lighter this year (no gluten was mid-last year) as I've figured out her supplements better (background: my health is messed up from the mercury in my fillings and both my kids are affected, so I'm working with a healthcare provider to get some of this crap out of their bodies). As I've seen improvements there (with the pills) I've been seeing the dark circles lighten.

I've read and been told that adrenal fatigue also causes dark circles, but I haven't seen improvement in myself (symptomatically or the dark circles) yet. But I'm hopeful because someday I'd like to not look like this.
#3 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Subbing! I am negative to gluten though.
#4 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Subbing! I am negative to gluten though.
Just curious--are you speaking of testing, or you tried no gluten for a while and didn't notice any changes? I don't know if my daughter would've tested positive for a problem with gluten, we did it by removing it from our diet and seeing what happened.
#5 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm curious as well since I have them and my DD has them. They were so dark at one time that my stepfather actually had the balls to ask me if my DH was hitting me.

So anything to make them go away would be awesome.
#6 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

That is interesting about the gluten. Isn't that really hard to do without though? My MIL just found out she can't have gluten and it seems impossible to find anything gluten free, or if she finds something it is really expensive. I found a box of gluten free spaghetti, that was smaller than the usual boxes, and it was FOUR dollars!
#7 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM

They're called "allergic shiners" and it's a reaction to any food intolerance, not just gluten. My kids have them. And I had them tested (blood test through ALCAT) and they have many food intolerances. Do you have any other issues: digestive, sleep, eczema? Some people do just have bags under their eyes or their eyes look more "hollowed".

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Kathy's right and I didn't write it clearly--for _us_ it was gluten, other folks see it with different foods. But gluten is relatively common so even though it's not convenient to consider, it's more likely than, say, bananas or potatoes (though they are surprisingly allergenic too).

It was hard to be gluten-free at first, no doubt. There's a long adjustment time--first, finding foods for basic meals, then snacks on the go, then eating out (we do it at a very limited number of restaurants, and when we meet people, I usually bring food for us and just tell the server that we've got allergies--they've always been very nice about it), and then dealing with travel and the holidays. We've been doing it for over a year now and so we've gone through all of those and now it's pretty routine, though still inconvenient.

Finding straight gluten-free substitutions takes time and usually costs quite a bit more. Eventually (esp with help from the Allergies forum) you can find, say, a really good bread recipe, and cake and cookie recipes (not that you want sweets every day, but that feeling of being deprived and not even having a choice is hard). Finding other healthy foods (there are _so many_ I had never heard of or considered) has been quite the unexpected benefit. It's also forced me to look at my food and be dissatisfied with the choices I was making before, so it's been an overall good thing for us.
#9 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
They're called "allergic shiners" and it's a reaction to any food intolerance, not just gluten. My kids have them. And I had them tested (blood test through ALCAT) and they have many food intolerances. Do you have any other issues: digestive, sleep, eczema? Some people do just have bags under their eyes or their eyes look more "hollowed".
Yep I had them growing up too, and I got white in the creases of my nose too.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#10 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Just curious--are you speaking of testing, or you tried no gluten for a while and didn't notice any changes? I don't know if my daughter would've tested positive for a problem with gluten, we did it by removing it from our diet and seeing what happened.
I tried no gluten for awhile-and yes, I did feel a *little* better. But, I also did the blood work, which came back negative. Then, while being scoped for other reasons, my GI scoped for Celiac-which came up negative.

I just posted a question in the Allergy forum about whether or not a Grass/Ragweed Allergy=Wheat allergy. One momma has resonded that her lo has both.
#11 of 17 Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM

I had a blood test for food intolerances, about 15yrs ago. It revealed I was *highly* allergic to eggs-a complete surprise to me, as I had no symptoms, that I knew of.

Through a very wierd way, I found out that I am allergic to bananas. So glad to have realized, as they were causing extreme bowel incontenence.
#12 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM

It's a mineral deficiency which is generally caused by gut damage which CAN mean food allergies.
#13 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 01:39 AM

Firefaery, any particular mineral?
#14 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 AM

I don't know what causes mine but it's not allergies. I had to go on a TED for dd and there were no changes at all. I'm still not eating a bunch of foods (see siggy) and it's made no difference at all.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#15 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 AM

Sadly, no. It can be just about any, and indeed it generally is more than one. There are some cell salts that can help by delivering specific nutrients directly to the cells, but most often it isn't a result of a lack of minerals so much as it is an inability to absorb them

Shelsi, with allergies certain symptoms should go away pretty immediately. This isn't necessarily one of them. IF you have sustained damage to the gut that has to first heal before it can absorb the nutrients. Even then if there is a significant deficit it will take some time to see the shiners leave. The process will likely be facilitated by cell (sometimes called tissue) salts.

It is also possible (not saying this is what is happening to you) that you haven't gotten rid of all the allergens.
#16 of 17 Old 08-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Sadly, no. It can be just about any, and indeed it generally is more than one.
Thx.
#17 of 17 Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should check into the food intolerance test. Would I just ask my normal doctor? What do you have to do, just take blood?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page