Vision Testing Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting my daughters eyes checked next week and wondering...if her eyes are any less than 20/20 does that mean she HAS to have glasses? What do you all think?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it depends. My daughter & son both got glasses recently. My son got my weird astigmatism but my daughter just has some mild nearsightedness and she said it may correct itself over time, and the glasses would help. btw, both my kids were really excited about their glasses so try not to give off a negative vibe about it. I was worried they would feel self conscious or get the 4 eyes thing at school, but they were so excited about them that everyone else thought they were cool too, even though I was sad they had to start so early. It was kind of expected since everyone on my side needs them and their dad wears them too. {{hugs!}} hopefully everything will be fine

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM

I agree, it depends on how bad it is.

1 of my kids is nearsighted. The first year or 2 after she became nearsighted she did not have glasses as they'd have to be changed every 6months & it wouldn't help anything. She got glasses when she was 7.

My next dd is farsighted still, but was more farsighted at her last appt than the one before. She does not have glasses

My youngest was farsighted but not as farsighted at my middle one. She'll need glasses eventually

Glasses are not a big deal in school. At least 1/4th of the students have glasses here, it may be a larger percent.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not so much worried about her being teased as much as I am about being sold on something that she may not need. Yes, I've seen her squinting as early as 2 years ago, her teacher mentioned something about it then too. Hasn't been much lately (inthe past year) so wondering if it's correcting itself. Last year at her pediatrician well check (she's 10) they did they eye chart test, I think she missed one or two of the smaller letters. We haven't been back this year for her check up. I just wonder if you can actually get out of the eye doctor without glasses if they don't really need them. For some reason I feel like that anyone that goes in for a check up comes out with glasses no matter what. Was thinking I'd get her the exam, get the prescription if they get her one and get a 2nd opinion maybe? I don't know, I need help.

I also have to add that I mentioned to her teacher at open house that I'd like her to be closer to the front. Don't know if that's going to help or not. Might be harder to tell if she still has a problem.

User Tag List