The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 863 Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
whoops sorry I knew I was going to stick my foot in my mouth when I hadn't read the back story!
It's all good. Your input is always appreciated!
Are you going to post a link to your iodine thread here too?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 863 Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Also there is Dr. Brownstein's view on Hashi's, which is iodine deficiency. The Hashi's chapter from his book is online at Iodine Yahoo group:

THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF AUTOIMMUNE THYROID ILLNESSES: IODINE DEFICIENCY AND ANTIOXIDANT DEFICIENCY
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group.../message/38079

*enough means adequate iodine until you excrete 90% thru an iodine loading urine test. According to Brownstein this means 50 mg. iodine per day for at least 3 months. I know this is repetitive for you but just want it down here.
I recently joined the iodine group and was interested to learn that Dr Flechas (a thyroid/iodine focused md in north carolina) approaches hashimotos disease as primarily an under-methylation problem and treats with TMG and methyl forms of B-12, folate, and selenium (and iodine too, I'm sure).

Here's a quote I found on another forum
Quote:
How does iodine supplementation affect thyroid antibody levels?

Flechas: We watched the antibody levels carefully for several years when we first started supplementing with iodine. We did not notice any changes. They were essentially stable. The antibody levels are not a result of iodine. Iodine actually stabilizes the internal structure of the thyroid gland in both Graves and Hashimoto's.

Autoimmunity is an effect of methylation -- not iodine levels. If you increase the methyl groups, the antibodies will drop. (Gave example of someone with TPOab = 900. Gave methyl groups (e.g., 1 teaspoon per day of tri-methylglycine). Antibodies dropped to 100 in one month. Gave a couple more similar examples.)
I have not intro'd myself on this thread yet. I just got my hypoT diagnosis about 4 weeks ago. My TSH was 89 and my Free T3 was 0.33. I am currently taking 2 grains of armour and building up from there. I am feeling soooo much better. I am interested in starting iodine, but still researching iodine and breastfeeding. I am waiting on my antibodies test...I should get it on Thursday.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#303 of 863 Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM

Hi - I just got diagnosed with Hashi's last week. Dr said he just wanted to monitor me no treatment at all. So I am breaking the bank and going out of network to a dr. who will treat me.

I have read both this and the original thyroid therad. I have some questions (which may have been answered but I didn't absorb it)

How is the treatment for Hashi's different than the treatment for Hypo?

DS 4/11

#304 of 863 Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Hello, wise mamas!

I have made my way through a lot of, but not all of , this thread. I am in the process of investigating my thyroid health. I have a lot of the usual symptoms: what origianally tipped me off was learning that low body temps (mine are never over 97.5) are *not normal*, and most recently added to the list is severe hair loss (for about the last 4-6 weeks). Plus the usual suspects: fatigue, hypersensitivity to light, severe irritability, low libido, etc. etc.

I have some lab results here that I'd love some help interpreting. (I also posted this as its own thread in H&H.) The normal ranges are, of course, indicated, but I've learned from this thread and the original thyroid thread that these are not always to be trusted. Your opinions would be very welcome! (I have bolded the ones that were flagged by the lab.)

Iron levels:
iron 98 (NR=40-150ug/dL)
% Fe saturation 28 (NR=15-50%)
ferritin 34 (NR=10-220ng/mL) (this seems like a huge range - what is considered optimal?)

Thyroid levels:
free T3 227 (NR=230-420pg/dl)
free T4 1.05 (NR=0.7-4.0 uIU/mL)
TSH 1.67 (NR=0.4-4.0
antithyroglobulin AB 121 (NR<60 U/mL)
thyroid perox. AB 32 (NR<60 U/mL)

DHEA sulfate 304 (NR=45-320mcg/dL)

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Meg, BFARing mama to two spirited daughters, born at home June 05 and April 08.
#305 of 863 Old 07-03-2009, 05:39 AM

Okay so I don't know how I could get this far into this and be confused over something so seemingly simple.

After having my thyroid removed in March my TSH has been hanging out around 98. Working on dose changes and am seeing the numbers come down slowly. TSH now is 28, I think. Got a dose increase to see if we can keep nudging it down.

Here is my confusion. I was reading the insert that comes with the prescription and it says that "Synthroid is (and this is bolded) used for treating low thyroid hormone levels". Further on it says, again in bold" Use of this medicine is not recommended if you have untreated adrenal gland problems, high thyroid hormone levels....." Does 28 or above qualify as a high thyroid level?

So, is my TSH too high or too low? I thought the goal was to make it around 1 or 2, a low number. It's been hanging out much higher than that. 28-98=high numbers.

See what I'm saying?

~L.
#306 of 863 Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Dear Confused,

Yes, there is a LOT to sort through. Your TSH is "Thyroid Stimulating Hormone." Basically, the higher the number, the LOWER your thyroid is functioning, and the more your body is trying to stimulate it. You have low thyroid hormone levels (or none if you don't have a thyroid). Does that help?

I would really strongly urge you to try Armour thryoid because it has a broader spectrum of the thyroid hormones. I feel like night and day on Armour and Synthroid.

Good luck!
#307 of 863 Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indeospero View Post
I have some lab results here that I'd love some help interpreting.

Iron levels:
iron 98 (NR=40-150ug/dL)
% Fe saturation 28 (NR=15-50%)
ferritin 34 (NR=10-220ng/mL) (this seems like a huge range - what is considered optimal?) When my ferritin was a bit low, but still inside the ref range, both my HCPs mentioned it and wanted me to supp iron. It didn't help with my fatigue, but apparently it helps some people.

Thyroid levels:
free T3 227 (NR=230-420pg/dl) This is enough to make you feel really bad.
free T4 1.05 (NR=0.7-4.0 uIU/mL) Even though this is in the range, it's low too.
TSH 1.67 (NR=0.4-4.0 This was too high for me, but it kept trending up and eventually got out of range for me--apparently it's pretty individual how this goes.
antithyroglobulin AB 121 (NR<60 U/mL)
thyroid perox. AB 32 (NR<60 U/mL)

DHEA sulfate 304 (NR=45-320mcg/dL)

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Probably way too late, hope you got answers in your other thread!
#308 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Have a friend with Graves Disease. Haven't researched anything, but wanted to inquire about any favorite sites or recommendations.

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#309 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Have a friend with Graves Disease. Haven't researched anything, but wanted to inquire about any favorite sites or recommendations.

Thanks, Pat
Not sure how helpful, but the only one i've seen mention hyperT is ithyroid.com.
pumping at keys

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#310 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Not sure how helpful, but the only one i've seen mention hyperT is ithyroid.com.
pumping at keys
ithyroid's the most informative site out there that I know of (in the alternative sense), but it's fairly mechanistic and it's quite possible to overlook the whole causal chain (at least I did).

Seems like it's not an uncommon path to be subclinical hypo for a long time and then turn hyper with Graves, seems like that's what my mom did (in retrospect). Obviously I'd be considering amalgams, since that's how it happens in our family, but there have got to be other causes as well.
#311 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
ithyroid's the most informative site out there that I know of (in the alternative sense), but it's fairly mechanistic and it's quite possible to overlook the whole causal chain (at least I did).

Seems like it's not an uncommon path to be subclinical hypo for a long time and then turn hyper with Graves, seems like that's what my mom did (in retrospect). Obviously I'd be considering amalgams, since that's how it happens in our family, but there have got to be other causes as well.
The mama became hyperthyroid after a stillbirth at 34 weeks. Then three subsequent miscarriages. The endo recommended radioactive iodine. She didn't go for that. She's seeing an ND, but is interested in informing herself.

I'm curious about the relationship of the baby's thyroid and her sudden hyper, which is diminishing. Your comment about subclinical hypo first is interesting.

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#312 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Hope I am not hijacking...looking for advice:

I thought I had Lyme for a while, achy joints, fatigue, weakness in arms and lack of energy. I had bloodwork done, and my TSH was normal (1.8) my peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies were high- in the 300's. My red blood cell and white blood cell counts were a bit low, but not by much. Lyme was inconclusive. I have dropped like 15 pounds since November despite regular eating and not really exercising (after already returning to my PP weight). All of this stuff happened to me right around the same time when my daughter was nearing 1. Now my son is nearing 1. i am suspecting Graves or postpartum thyroiditis. My doc says wait and see, retest blood in 3 months. I made the first appt I could get with an endo- on Oct 24 :

Help! What about TTC? Doctor says I have to wait a year.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#313 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Hashis/hypo here and wondering what those with the same have taken to noticably get antibodies down.

I'm so confused all the different causes of Hashis gluten,iodine deficiency, methylation(don't even know what that is). I developed hashis/hypothyroid after i had a baby(4 months PP)DD is now 13 months.
i need to read more in this thread theres so much
#314 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Thyroxine is T4- usually prescribed as levo-thyroxine (Synthroid). I switched to NatureThroid (natural dessicated thyroid containing both T4 and T3) in January then to Armour in March or so... I think that's the right timeline... I'd have to go back on this thread to find out.
I take quite a few supplements...
Adrenal Support
Selenium
Zinc
Prenatal supplement
B-complex
MSM
Vitamin C
Vitamin D3
Osteo-Nutrients 2 (Cal/Mag)

I think I'm missing a couple but I don't want to fight with baby gates to go look right now.
I'm under the care of a great ND who also has me on a homeopathic remedy which has been helping a great deal with some issues (emotional and physical).
Do you have amalgam (aka silver) fillings or live on the Eastern Seaboard? I have suspicions that many of the issues I"m facing are due to mercury exposure which sort of slows me down some right now as it's a difficult problem to address while nursing... and I'd class as impossible (not wise) while pregnant.

ETA: And to address what Pat posted- I *do* believe that I have subclinical gluten intolerance, also likely caused by mercury. I just stick my head in the sand sometimes.
Oh geeeezzzz! I totally forgot i posted here weeks ago. I just posted again lol!!! Apparently i get to much going that I CAN'T handle
Soooo to answer your questions
I have 1 small silver filling on the side of a molar that is very small.
I have lived in Arizona my entire life except for the past 2 years we live in Baltimore for 6 months out of the year, Why whats going on here with mercury?
I'm looking for a good ND. The one i'm currently seeing is not so great.
She says she can't address my adrenals because I'm nursing and doesn't use iodine for thyroid.
I'm on nature-throid at the moment.

Here's what I'm taking:
Dulse liquid drops for iodine
omega 3(nordic naturals)
multi
vit D drops when I remember
Siberian ginseng
Was taking natural calm for mag but don't like it. Need a different mag supp.
Selenium-brazil nuts
I was thinking of some supps DR. rons since I heard good things.

My throat has been felling strange the past 6 weeks. I feel pressure in my throat not sure if it's my thyroid or not. anyone else experience this. Is my thyroid searching for iodine..????
#315 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The mama became hyperthyroid after a stillbirth at 34 weeks. Then three subsequent miscarriages. The endo recommended radioactive iodine. She didn't go for that. She's seeing an ND, but is interested in informing herself.

I'm curious about the relationship of the baby's thyroid and her sudden hyper, which is diminishing. Your comment about subclinical hypo first is interesting.

Thanks, Pat
Baby's thyroid kicks in around 18 weeks, +/- a couple, I looked it up because I suddenly turned hypo when DS was around 16 weeks and I stressed some, but hoped he'd be okay. I went from fairly okay to feeling borderline dead during one weekend.

One of the big things about pregnancy is how nutritionally draining it is, it's huge. And add in a huge mental/emotional/spiritual drain, which IME is also a nutritional drain, that seems like it could be one too many stresses.

With the pregnancy losses, did someone do testing for antibodies and have the selenium-reducing-antibody counts discussion?
#316 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Hashis/hypo here and wondering what those with the same have taken to noticably get antibodies down.

I'm so confused all the different causes of Hashis gluten,iodine deficiency, methylation(don't even know what that is). I developed hashis/hypothyroid after i had a baby(4 months PP)DD is now 13 months.
i need to read more in this thread theres so much
I've read of people supplementing selenium, 200mcg per day is the most typical amount, to reduce antibodies, but I was already taking this when I got my antibody testing done, so I don't know if I ever had antibodies, or if they'd just already come down.

It's not that all those are separate, distinct causes, I have issues with most of them. And it's up to each person to figure out which of these, or maybe all, are involved for themselves, and which they're going to address to reduce stress on their bodies, so that our bodies can start functioning properly again. That can sound stressful and involved, but it's really not so much, the learning curve is a bit steep at first, but doable, very doable.

Methylation is one way that our livers get rid of stuff we no longer need. We stick a methyl group on the end, think of it like putting a stick in a popsicle, and then you can pass it to someone else (in this case it can be excreted from your body). There are other chemical groups (besides methyl groups) that can be stuck on other things we don't need (which includes toxins like lead and mercury, but also stuff our bodies are done with, like breaking down estrogen or histamine or something like that).

http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/methyl.php
Different, more thorough description of methylation.
#317 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:

With the pregnancy losses, did someone do testing for antibodies and have the selenium-reducing-antibody counts discussion?
Will look this up. Haven't heard of it.

Thanks,

Pat

I have a blog.
#318 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I've read of people supplementing selenium, 200mcg per day is the most typical amount, to reduce antibodies, but I was already taking this when I got my antibody testing done, so I don't know if I ever had antibodies, or if they'd just already come down.

It's not that all those are separate, distinct causes, I have issues with most of them. And it's up to each person to figure out which of these, or maybe all, are involved for themselves, and which they're going to address to reduce stress on their bodies, so that our bodies can start functioning properly again. That can sound stressful and involved, but it's really not so much, the learning curve is a bit steep at first, but doable, very doable.

Methylation is one way that our livers get rid of stuff we no longer need. We stick a methyl group on the end, think of it like putting a stick in a popsicle, and then you can pass it to someone else (in this case it can be excreted from your body). There are other chemical groups (besides methyl groups) that can be stuck on other things we don't need (which includes toxins like lead and mercury, but also stuff our bodies are done with, like breaking down estrogen or histamine or something like that).

http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/methyl.php
Different, more thorough description of methylation.
ok thank you. So if your antibodies go down to a normal range does that mean you no longer have hashis?
#319 of 863 Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Will look this up. Haven't heard of it.

Thanks,

Pat
There's a study (more than one? at least one), they used a poor form of selenium, a selenite something, should've used l-selenomethionine.
#320 of 863 Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
ok thank you. So if your antibodies go down to a normal range does that mean you no longer have hashis?
Since antibody levels can go up and down, and whether you get a plain hypo diagnosis or a hashi's diagnosis is based on antibodies, it seems that that is just one aspect to help understand what's going on with your body. But if you ever see elevated antibodies, then I think looking at interrelated autoimmune issues is appropriate--both considering the possibility of stuff like Type 1 diabetes, celiac, others, but then also thinking about immune function and why your immune system is so out of whack. My 2 cents.

Mom61508--the mercury thing is for people like me, took me quite a while (understatement) and a great HCP to put things together, but my progression of enviro allergies, anxiety, depression, hypo and adrenal fatigue is classic for people who do not detoxify mercury and other heavy metals well. Not that everyone with those issues has mercury issues, but it's something to consider. Runs in my family--I knew the depression, hypo, allergies, etc ran in my family, but the underlying issue is that detoxification problems run in my family. We can get excess exposure (more than we can deal with) from the environment (either generally living in a high toxicity area) or specific situations (working in a dentist's office), or from our moms (my kids got this) or directly from amalgams in our mouths. So it's not everyone's issue, certainly, but since it's very treatable, and it has such wide-ranging health ramifications if it's not dealt with, I think it's worth considering (in general, not specifically aimed at you).

The big thing about amalgams is how your body deals with them--some folks with 10+ amalgams are fairly fine with them because their bodies handle it well, but since they are half mercury (half silver/tin/other stuff), even half of a small one is a whole lot if you personally don't excrete that stuff well. Or if your family doesn't, and you started, from birth, with more than most folks.

And my HCP was perfectly fine supporting my adrenals while I was nursing--she didn't recommend much, was quite conservative, but adrenal support was important. I'd consider finding someone else, many nursing moms here are getting adrenal support--makes you (me) into an irritable, so-and-so of a mother when you (I) feel really bad. Be careful with Dr. Ron's supps, some of them have alpha lipoic acid, it is a serious mobilizer of heavy metals, I'm taking it very carefully and at fairly low doses, to deal with my mercury and arsenic. Read labels carefully.
#321 of 863 Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I have lived in Arizona my entire life except for the past 2 years we live in Baltimore for 6 months out of the year, Why whats going on here with mercury?
Can't really answer any of your other questions, but re: the Eastern seaboard and mercury: for some reason, people on the Eastern seaboard have a higher mercury load than anywhere else in the continental US. Can't tell you why, that's all I really know.

#322 of 863 Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 PM

subbing. Can anyone explain to me the difference between armour and naturethroid? My nd has thrown both out as an option...DH is not happy about me being on a med...if they're both glandular's, what's the dif? Thanks!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#323 of 863 Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
subbing. Can anyone explain to me the difference between armour and naturethroid? My nd has thrown both out as an option...DH is not happy about me being on a med...if they're both glandular's, what's the dif? Thanks!
Armour has corn it and naturethroid does not. That's the only difference that I'm aware of
#324 of 863 Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 AM

I am new to this thread, but you mamas seem like the right people to talk to. Ever since the birth of my DD (almost 5 years ago) I have had a million symptoms that something isn't right. I've had them all- crazy heavy periods or absent ones, acne then none, hair falling out like mad, sudden facial hair growth, exhaustion, visual disturbances (floaters and "fuzziness"), forgetfulness, hives, aches and pains and an inability to lose weight. I went to my GP (who said it was anxiety), my OB (who suspects PCOS), and a rheumatologist (who thought it might be fibromyalgia), a neurologist (who did a scan of my pituitary gland). I had blood drawn many, many times. Once I had some antibodies of some sort that sent me to the rheumatologist, but a second test came out normal. My thyroid tests came out "within normal ranges" over and over. I still suspected my thyroid.

I took some anxiety meds for a few months, though I didn't feel anxious or depressed. They did nothing and I stopped. That was two years ago. I've been on the pill for the past few years and that got my periods under control.

Finally, I got fed up with feeling like crap and went back to my family practitioner (whom our whole family loves, except for this thyroid thing) and got more blood tests. I don't really understand the results, but I'll post them here, in case one of you does:

T3, TOTAL 154 mcg/dL
T4 (THYROXINE), TOTAL 9.8 mcg/dL
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES <10 IU/mL
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES <20 IU/mL
TSH, 3RD GENERATION 4.00 mIU/L
FSH5.3 mIU/mL

There were also tests for vitamins and hormones (which all came out either normal or very good).

I don't know anything about the ranges for T3 and T4, but he said the "normal" range for TSH is between .5 and 5. We agreed that 4 might be high for me. He gave me a prescription for Cytomel at 25 mcg once a day. I am on my second day and I don't really know if I feel any different. I understand that it may take time to feel the effects though.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I am SO relived to finally be taken seriously, but I have no idea if this is a standard treatment or what the test results really mean. Can anyone help?

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#325 of 863 Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
Jacqueline-

Thank you for the response. Can I ask you how you take your meds and vitamins. I take my armour first thing in the am. Then I eat. When should I take by Vit B and well I have Nordic Naturals Omega 3's and CLO. If you don't mind what do you ladies with Hashimotos take and when???

With kindness, Abigayle
I have Hashis as well. Are you taking selenium-2 brazil nuts daily?
Usually hashis is linked to gluten sensitivity as well.
https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Frame_Faq.htm
You read thru this thread there is a lot more info on hashis and gluten issues
Get some good magnesium too. I take stuff throughout the day.
#326 of 863 Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Mama2Bug, your TSH is a lot higher than healthy, normal people. They should've tested free-T3 and free-T4, that's a lot more helpful then the total T3 and total T4.

I'm not very familiar with cytomel, is it a T3 thyroid med? The T4 thyroid meds need 6 weeks, IIRC, to get up to a consistent dosage in your body--they have a long half-life, so they keep increasing all that time. T3 is a lot shorter, but I'm not sure how long it would be to get a constant dose in your body. If it's a T3 med, I _thought_ typical dosing was 2-3x/day, you may want to read the product insert? Maybe I'm wrong.

When you re-test, you may want to ask for free-T3 and free-T4, you want both to be in the upper third of the reference range (that's where healthy, feeling good people are).

You may also want to peruse the last 5 pages or so of this thread, some of us have dealt with our thyroid issues with dietary changes and nutritional supplements. If you're interested in the possibility.

Blood testing for hormones can be hit-or-miss, for things like cortisol it needs to be compared to what time of day the sample was taken (and you really need 4x/day testing), and I'm not sure if the reference ranges for things like estrogen and what-not are normed appropriately. If they didn't take into account where in your cycle you are (pre- or post- ovulation) then the reference range is probably really wide and only catches people who are vastly out of balance. You could post to get ideas on those, some of the vitamins (like B12 and ferritin) can be off, and making you feel tired, even though they're in the reference range. May want a separate thread for that.
#327 of 863 Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm finally going to the doctor on Thursday to see if I can get checked for hypo after a counselor 3 years ago mentioned my lack of body hair, my OB mentioning hyp a year ago, and an optometrist mentioned eye pressure leading to glaucoma. They all asked if I had hypothyroidism and I never heard of it so I didn't get checked, then I was scared it'd be cancer and I'd have to stay confined to a hospital room so I put it off and I put if off. So, I'm scared. We're overseas and I won't be able to switch doctors if he isn't good. My only option would be to take my daughter and move back to California while my husband is here for another year. I'm still breastfeeding and read on the thread that Naturethroid is not compatible with breastfeeding. Should I opt for the synthetic? I'm going to push for all the tests on stopthethyroidmadness.com because I remember being "slightly anemic" during my high school days and I'm worried about adrenal fatigue.

I'm so worried.
#328 of 863 Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm finally going to the doctor on Thursday to see if I can get checked for hypo after a counselor 3 years ago mentioned my lack of body hair, my OB mentioning hyp a year ago, and an optometrist mentioned eye pressure leading to glaucoma. They all asked if I had hypothyroidism and I never heard of it so I didn't get checked, then I was scared it'd be cancer and I'd have to stay confined to a hospital room so I put it off and I put if off. So, I'm scared. We're overseas and I won't be able to switch doctors if he isn't good. My only option would be to take my daughter and move back to California while my husband is here for another year. I'm still breastfeeding and read on the thread that Naturethroid is not compatible with breastfeeding. Should I opt for the synthetic? I'm going to push for all the tests on stopthethyroidmadness.com because I remember being "slightly anemic" during my high school days and I'm worried about adrenal fatigue.

I'm so worried.
Uh... Wha? Where?
I was taking Naturethroid while breastfeeding and pregnant...

ETA: And adrenal fatigue should always be addressed along with/before a thyroid problem. One makes the other worse and vice versa.

#329 of 863 Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm so worried.
Ya where did you find that naturethroid isn't compatible with Bf????
My ND knows I"m nursing and had me chose between that and Armour. I went with naturethroid because it doesn't have corn it/
#330 of 863 Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Free T3 1.9
Free T4 0.86
TSH 4.37

The "normal ranges" on the paper work

Free T3 1.8-4.2
Free T4 0.59-1.81
TSH 0.38-4.70

What I don't understand is how can the "normal" vary so much?

Progesterone 9.0
Testosterone 65
cortisol AM 20.28
Insulin 5.53

Estradiol 189
Alkaline Phosphatase 45

There are other numbers on the tests he did not sure if any of those will help in uderstanding my situation.

I was able to find out the levels I tested in 2007
3.05 TSH
0.86 T4
29% uptake of T3

This is when I started feeling lousy all the time. now I feel really lousy all the time.
Any ideas if any of these numbers are causing my problems?

Very irregular periods up to about 6 months
lumpy breasts
facial hair
mood swings
depression
extreme fatigue
acne
pain in lower back
headaches
Anxiety
bloating

He was thinking PCOS, fibrocystic, thyroid, pituatory. But said the tests were not suggestive of those problems and says I am a tired and depressed mom.

Also my babies were on the large size 10 lbs and almost 10 lbs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page