The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nataliachick7:
Quote:
MY TSH is a 2.98. I feel awful and my doc thinks my thyroid is fine And he is an alternative medicine doctor, so i am at a loss.
mom61508:
Quote:
DD TSH is at a 2.31. I'm keep coming across different numbers as to what is normal.

What do you all think?
There's more to consider than just the TSH - and imo, anything above 2.0 - especially with symptoms present indicates a thyroid imbalance.
Read this - it explains it well:
Thyroid Test Results

fp
#362 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Thank you frannie.

Anyone ever heard of Reverse t3? Mine shows a 37 and should be between 11-32.

I have a doc appt tomorrow to try to convince him i need something. This is wiping out my savings because i dont have insurance.

DS 5-11-06
#363 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
Thank you frannie.

Anyone ever heard of Reverse t3? Mine shows a 37 and should be between 11-32.

I have a doc appt tomorrow to try to convince him i need something. This is wiping out my savings because i dont have insurance.
RT3 is a form of T3 which tells your pituitary to slow down on the TSH production.
How are your TSH, Free T4 & Free T3?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#364 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM

TSH is 2.98
t4 free 1.2 range (08-1.8)
t3 free 316 (range 230-420)
t3 reverse 37

According to Dr Mercola, anything above a 2 TSH now is considered abnormal. And i feel like garbage!!! Have felt this way for years.

DS 5-11-06
#365 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsandbean View Post
Okay, it looks like you all know everything, maybe you can help me.

I just had a bunch of bloodwork done (feeling super run down, achy and exhausted) and my TSH was .92 and the Free T4 was .8 - do both of these seem low? They are in the normal range, but I'm still wondering. I thought if one was low, one was high?

TIA!
I'd guess adrenals, have you checked out The Adrenal thread? Achy can also be partially being very low in vitamin D (which doesn't rule out adrenal issues, vitD and adrenals end up being chemically related). But working on vitD can help with achiness and then you can focus on adrenals (and _why_ your adrenals are worn down, if that's what's going on).

Quote:
wow thanks for this info. MY TSH is a 2.98. I feel awful and my doc thinks my thyroid is fine And he is an alternative medicine doctor, so i am at a loss.
Don't give up. Thing is, there are great pediatricians (to use an example) and pathetic ones, and there are great alternative HCPs and less-great ones. And sometimes there are ones that just aren't a good fit for you, but are a good fit for someone else.

I'd say keep networking to find someone who listens well, ideally who's dealt with someone with issues like yours, but mostly someone that people recommend highly and listens well.

#366 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM

The only results i really get when looking for alternative care doctors are chiropractors. Do chiros treat thyroid problems? Can they prescribe things?
How else can you find a hollistic MD? Are DO's good for thyroid problems? Should i look for an endo?

DS 5-11-06
#367 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The only results i really get when looking for alternative care doctors are chiropractors. Do chiros treat thyroid problems? Can they prescribe things?
How else can you find a hollistic MD? Are DO's good for thyroid problems? Should i look for an endo?
Personally I wouldn't go the endo route. Lots of alternative HCPs have good approaches for thyroid stuff, some chiros will, some DOs would be good, I think my acupuncturist would've been helpful if that had been my biggest complaint when I went to her. Based on my limited experience, the knowledge and experience of the provider is a bigger factor than which particular type of healthcare they went into.

Places I've asked: midwives may know alternative HCPs, any local yahoo groups? (AP, babywearing, homeschooling, like that), a local native nutrition yahoo group may have ideas (Weston Price folks, but regardless of your feelings on that, IME the people on the list tend to be fairly alternative in their approach to health care), local holistic moms group?, obviously friends who recommend their HCPs, and the Tribes section here at MDC. A recommendation from someone at a HFS?

Yes, I've spent some time looking for HCPs.
#368 of 862 Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 PM

thank you tanya!

While i wait to find a decent doctor, does anyone treat themselves with natural thyroid medications like this? http://www.nutri-meds.com/thyroid_supplements_s/33.htm

or this:

http://www.drrons.com/thyroid-adrena...glandulars.htm

Do they work?

DS 5-11-06
#369 of 862 Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM

DS 5-11-06
#370 of 862 Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM

So my thyroid is swelling again I'm so bummed. Don't know what to do!!!!
#371 of 862 Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM

Really liking the thyroid articles at Women to Women -- http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/foods-naturalthyroidhealth.aspx. Anyone do this program?
#372 of 862 Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 PM

Does anyone by their armour/westhroid from this website?

http://www.biogenesis-antiaging.com/...duct_info.html

This was listed on Dr Teitelbaum's website, author of "From fatigued to fantastic"

Just wondering if its legit?

DS 5-11-06
#373 of 862 Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlycrunchy View Post
Really liking the thyroid articles at Women to Women -- http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/foods-naturalthyroidhealth.aspx. Anyone do this program?
Interesting, I've been wondering if my iron is a little low and haven't seen this possible connection before.

:::
#374 of 862 Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Does anyone by their armour/westhroid from this website?

http://www.biogenesis-antiaging.com/...duct_info.html

This was listed on Dr Teitelbaum's website, author of "From fatigued to fantastic"

Just wondering if its legit?
It says it's out of stock. Did someone see your post and snap it up?

:::
#375 of 862 Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
It says it's out of stock. Did someone see your post and snap it up?
LOL DIDNT see that!

I would still love to hear about if anyone has success with Nutri-meds?? Im waiting for my order in the mail...

DS 5-11-06
#376 of 862 Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM

So I got my thyroid results back and it looks fine, my doctor said everything looks find, including my liver, kidney function and my chemistry panel. I do want to find out my D levels.

Here are the specifics:
TSH - .92
T3, free - 1.41
T3, free - 3.53

cholesterol : 135
HDL: 53
LDL: 64

I've been trying for the past year to increase my cholesterol and it hasn't budged. Years past it was down to 119 (and I was congratulated by my doctor) So I know that this is a clue for me.

Do you think I should get my adrenals tested?

I know my iodine levels are low (skin patch test), and that my thyroid is a little enlarged. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#377 of 862 Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 AM

Bump!

I also want to add that my basal temps have in years past been low - 96 degrees. I'm going to test myself in the next couple of mornings.

#378 of 862 Old 10-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
So I got my thyroid results back and it looks fine, my doctor said everything looks find, including my liver, kidney function and my chemistry panel. I do want to find out my D levels.

Here are the specifics:
TSH - .92
T3, free - 1.41
T3, free - 3.53

cholesterol : 135
HDL: 53
LDL: 64

I've been trying for the past year to increase my cholesterol and it hasn't budged. Years past it was down to 119 (and I was congratulated by my doctor) So I know that this is a clue for me.

Do you think I should get my adrenals tested?

I know my iodine levels are low (skin patch test), and that my thyroid is a little enlarged. I'm just not sure where to go from here.
Could you include the ranges for the freeT3 and freeT4? I always forget, and I'm not sure they're the same for all the different labs.

Good job increasing your cholesterol, but still, really not good. Mine was 138, DH was 142. The one thing we have in common is worn down adrenals. For me, it wasn't worth actually testing because I can tell, symptomatically, close enough to which stage I'm in, and I know things I can/should/sorta am doing to improve that.

Here's the link with the graphs of the 7 stages that I find most helpful...

http://www.chronicfatigue.org/ASI%201%20.html

Stage 5 is a pretty common stage for people who realize wow, I'm really not feeling good, to be in, but that's not universal. Can you tell where you think you are? Cause with the physical and situational stresses you're under, I can't imagine healthy adrenals (plus with cholesterol that low, it sorta goes together).

And BBTs in the 96s are not normal and healthy. I'd say that alone is enough to know your thyroid is not functioning well, regardless of the reference range (you want to be in the upper third of the ref range for the free's). I was in the 96s a couple years ago, occasionally I'd get a high 95 reading. If you can't find a doc (or don't want to supplement thyroid hormone), I'm not sure if it'll work for you, but I took dosages of some vits and minerals based on the dosages at ithyroid.com. If I did it again, I wouldn't do the whole list, probably a good B-complex, vitC to bowel tolerance (also good for adrenals) despite what John on ithyroid says about vitC, vitD to get you to a good level, probably CLO, and zinc, selenium, and some iodine (depends on your response--I did it while nursing, not sure if it caused problems or not, it can mobilize metals, I didn't have any negative symptoms but that's not a guarantee it didn't cause issues for DS). Maybe manganese too, plus whatever magnesium and maybe cal you're already taking (if you are).

You eat a lot better than I did back then, but the a) magnitude of deficiencies I was dealing with, and b) the inefficiencies that go along with mercury (absorbing nutrients, utilizing them properly) make the high doses reasonable IMO. I'm giving the kids a LOT of zinc and I'm finally seeing little symptoms go away, but the dosage is far more than healthy, normal kids could handle. So in retrospect, the dosages that ithyroid suggests (and they worked for me, took about 2 weeks to feel better) aren't unreasonable IMO.

That said--some folks have a bad reaction starting thyroid support (either vit/min or synthroid/armour/what-have-you) before adrenal support. I don't think it was a problem for me, but I still didn't feel great, and it was only one part of the work involved in really feeling well. But hey, it was really nice to be able to think again. That fuzzy-headed feeling is a real bummer, makes getting through life so darn hard.
#379 of 862 Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

I was diagnosed recently with hypothyroid. My TSH was at 5.9 and I've been having symptoms of fatigue and a very very irregular period (it has gone from being months a part to be very ontime except lasting for 2 weeks).
#380 of 862 Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 AM

Okay, so I just got told I have Thyroiditis (chronic). And to moniter my levels periodically. I saw a Japanese dr out in town here so I haven't heard from my pcm yet. But my understanding is that he thought my thyroid function would contiune to deteriorate until I need medication. I think.
I had my medical record for a few days and so I looked up all the previous thyroid tests I had and I wrote down todays numbers.
Here is what I've got:
9/97 FT4= 0.86 (0.76-1.79) NG/DL
TSH = 2.61 (.32-5.0) MIU/ML
I'm not sure if it means anything but my son was about 2 and a half at this point.

2/00 FT4= 0.70 L (0.76-1.79) NG/DL
TSH = 1.44 (.35-5.50) MIU/ML
I was pregnant with my second son when this one was done,not sure why.

11/06 TSH 1.35 (.34-5.60) UIU/ML
This one was done as part of my post partum check with my first daughter.

6/08 TSH 2.97 (0.30-4.50) UIU/ML
This was part of my yearly check up, about a month before I got pregnant with my second daughter.
I also had blood work done at my PP check up this past July, but I don't know where those numbers were they were not in my record. But the dr also noticed that my thyroid was enlarged (I had noticed it myself) and requested the blood work he suspected postpartum thyroiditis, which is what lead to my seeing the dr out in town. He did an ultra sound, I don't have any large masses but I do have several smaller growths (nodules?) and my thyroid is definaltly "inflamed".
Here are today's numbers:
FT3 3.14 (1.71 - 3.71) pg/ml
FT4 0.82 (0.70 - 1.48) ng/dl
TSH 1.43 (0.35 - 4.94) uIU/ml
TPO 8.3 (upper level 0.3) U/ml = this one is the antibodies. He pointed it out and said it was elevated. To me this looks very elevated. But then he seemed to say it wasn't. AAAAHHHHH!!!!
Can anyone make heads or tails out of all of this?
Any advice on what to take? Would it be a good idea to take brewers yeast? I am breast feeding (duh, right? she is only 4.5 months old, and I plan to breast feed at least a year, if not longer depending on her). What impact does that have on all of this?
feeling a bit
Thanks for your help
#381 of 862 Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteapot View Post
TPO 8.3 (upper level 0.3) U/ml = this one is the antibodies. He pointed it out and said it was elevated. To me this looks very elevated. But then he seemed to say it wasn't. AAAAHHHHH!!!!
Can anyone make heads or tails out of all of this?
Any advice on what to take? Would it be a good idea to take brewers yeast? I am breast feeding (duh, right? she is only 4.5 months old, and I plan to breast feed at least a year, if not longer depending on her). What impact does that have on all of this?
feeling a bit
Thanks for your help
Okay, so it sounds/looks like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, correct? (Antibodies mean autoimmune so Hashi's or Grave's to my understanding and by your numbers, I'm guessing Hashi's.)
Yes, the antibodies are elevated. Very elevated? Um. Well. I guess that depends on perspective. My antibodies came back in the thousands so my perspective's a little skewed.
I would suggest selenium as the supplement to take. It has been shown to significantly decrease antibody counts and that's what you want. The higher the antibodies, the more damage your thyroid is getting and the sooner you will need treatment (and more of it).
Do you have any amalgam, "silver", fillings? Mercury has been shown to cause an increase in antibody counts- probably because it eats up selenium like there's no tomorrow. If you do have amalgam fillings, I would additionally suggest zinc supplements as zinc has been shown to bind to mercury and thus spare some selenium.
You will also want to start supporting your adrenals. You need a good vitamin C supplement for this as well as a good B complex. Alternatively, you could eat raw liver. Many here eat it in the form of frozen liver "pills". And speaking of foods as supplements, many eat 2 Brazil nuts daily for the selenium.
Hope that helps a little.

ETA: You may want to check out stopthethyroidmadness.com and ithyroid.com as well.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#382 of 862 Old 10-05-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Okay, so it sounds/looks like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, correct? (Antibodies mean autoimmune so Hashi's or Grave's to my understanding and by your numbers, I'm guessing Hashi's.)
Yes, the antibodies are elevated. Very elevated? Um. Well. I guess that depends on perspective. My antibodies came back in the thousands so my perspective's a little skewed.
WHEW!! not for you, but WHEW!! okay I'll go with slightly elevated
Quote:
I would suggest selenium as the supplement to take. It has been shown to significantly decrease antibody counts and that's what you want. The higher the antibodies, the more damage your thyroid is getting and the sooner you will need treatment (and more of it).
That is kinda what I was thinking, why wait around until there is a boat load of damage? If we (I) deal with this now, I can probably correct it with suplements.
Quote:
Do you have any amalgam, "silver", fillings? Mercury has been shown to cause an increase in antibody counts- probably because it eats up selenium like there's no tomorrow. If you do have amalgam fillings, I would additionally suggest zinc supplements as zinc has been shown to bind to mercury and thus spare some selenium.
I'm 41, do I have amalgam fillings!! LOL!! I'm actually going in next week to get a tooth fixed. I've been looking for zinc.
Quote:
You will also want to start supporting your adrenals. You need a good vitamin C supplement for this as well as a good B complex. Alternatively, you could eat raw liver. Many here eat it in the form of frozen liver "pills". And speaking of foods as supplements, many eat 2 Brazil nuts daily for the selenium.
Hope that helps a little.

ETA: You may want to check out stopthethyroidmadness.com and ithyroid.com as well.
Well finding things in food form where I am right now is not likely to happen unless it is common as dirt, Thanks for the starting points, I'll check those links too.
#383 of 862 Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM

thanks for your insight Tanya - I will contact my HCP to get the ranges.

#384 of 862 Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 PM

I found some selinium when I went shopping yesterday (no brazil nuts or zinc), 200mcg, I took one last nightright after dinner and I took one this morning right after breakfast. I just noticed I'm feeling better. Seriously? That fast???
I've got the baby asleep so I need to run and take a shower, but I'll be back with what all I have found to take and some questions about what else to take. Thank you all!
#385 of 862 Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 AM

Hi everyone... Hoping for some opinions.

I have hypo and have been taking Armour for almost 6 months. When prescribing Armour, the doc told us to stop TTC until my levels got better. Not that it mattered much, anyway, as I discoved my hypo when trying to figure out why I was sufferig from secondary infertility. (Dd is 4.5.)

Here is the question... What sort of labs would you dare TTC with? Less than a month ago I got labwork done and had gone from hypo to hyper. (T3V and T4V a bit too high and TSH, not surprisingly, could not be measured.) However, I am not sure how accurate this was, as I had just raised the amount of Armour from 3 to 3 and 1/4 about four days prior. Looking back, after the raise I was having hyper symptoms, which (I think) have disappeared when I went back to 3 grains.

Assuming that my saliva test for adrenal fatique comes back normal, would you dare TTC? I am in a hurry because I am not getting younger and, on the other hand, because I would not be surprised even if I was still infertile and have to try to figure out what else is wrong. I am not feeling very hopeful, TBH, but under the circumstances, don't want to wait any longer than I must.

Also, does anyone know how long one should wait after raising the amount of Armour before having bloodwork donem in order to have correct results?

My doctor is abroad this month and very difficult to get in touch with (super busy with no secretary), so asking her is not an option until late November.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#386 of 862 Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 AM

Hey there... I am new here. I just heard about Armour bioidentical thyroid hormone... I have been on synthroid for 15 years. Is it worth the expense $300+ dollars for me to go to my kids natural doc to switch over to Armour. I do think I have deficiencies in my diet or something... 45 can't feel this bad, can it?
#387 of 862 Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Anumaria, have you had labs run for thyroid antibodies? IIRC, those correlate with miscarriage risk. Selenium reduces antibody levels, the study I read used 200mcg (I'd use l-selenomethionine, not the selenite something they used if you read the study, the former is absorbed/utilized a lot better).

For T4 supps, you need 6 weeks IIRC for blood levels to stabilize, and T3 supps have a much shorter half-life, so they'd stabilize sooner (on their own, since some of the T4 is converted to T3 and that's rising for 6 weeks--was that too circular?).

May want to look into nutrients and thyroid function, pregnancy's really draining on zinc (btdt).
#388 of 862 Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenleaves View Post
Hey there... I am new here. I just heard about Armour bioidentical thyroid hormone... I have been on synthroid for 15 years. Is it worth the expense $300+ dollars for me to go to my kids natural doc to switch over to Armour. I do think I have deficiencies in my diet or something... 45 can't feel this bad, can it?
Synthroid's just T4, and Armour has T4, T3 and a few other not-well-understood thyroid chemicals as well. If your symptoms seem related to low thyroid, Armour may be better, but you could try supplementing selenium to provide enough for your body to convert the T4 in your Synthroid into T3 to actually use. l-selenomethionine is a good form of selenium supp, or if you want real foods, buy some brazil nuts (our WF has them in the shell) and eat 2-4 per day (each has about 100mcg of selenium, so you wouldn't want to eat more than that per day long-term).

I felt really bad a couple years ago. In addition to looking at this, you may want to look into other current diet/lifestyle changes that could help your body work better now, and eventually look into why you became hypothyroid (unless it's obvious like surgery or RAI or something like that).

A few things that some people on the thread have found helpful: gluten-free, oftentimes dairy-free, some folks eat a lot of liver (I am a wimp, I admit it) but B vitamins as a supp may be good, I know I'm forgetting a lot of things. Some folks transition entirely grain-free, seemed shocking to me a few years ago, but now we're doing it for my DH (different health issues) and it's work, but not crazy-impossible. Just depends on how you want to trouble-shoot your issue.
#389 of 862 Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM

Thank you!

I am being treated by a "natural" doctor, so I am already taking a lot of vitamins. Antibodies were checked last time and were ok.

Sooo.... Since I have just lowered the amoug of Armour I take, I will wait 6 weeks before having labwork done.

Back to my original question... To TTC or not to TTC with labs that are a little bit above normal?

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#390 of 862 Old 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks Tanya-Lopez.... I use to take sellenium, but for some reason stopped. I think I have to upgrade my suppliment regime again. I am actually gluten and dairy free, now for 8 years... The more I read about bioidenticals and certain vitamin deficiencies the more I think I need to find the keys for me.... starting with armour instead of synthroid seems like a good place...

Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page