The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 862 Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
In case Pat doesn't get back... you may not find folate at your local HFS. Folic acid yes, and for some of us, that's fine, but some folks don't convert folic acid into folate well. Thorne has some supplements (sometimes sold in HFSs, I buy online), um, Metagenics and Folapro are others, that contain actual folate. There are two forms of real folate (like the kind in food), folinic acid and 5-methyltatrafolate (5-mtf, I hope I spelled it out correctly).

http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

Discussion on why some people need folate and why some of us are fine with folic acid.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post

Pat
You guys are great!

afro.jpg
#422 of 862 Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 AM

5-methyltetrahydrofolate aka 5-MTHF

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#423 of 862 Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you.
#424 of 862 Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Camprunner, do you have/ever had mercury fillings in your teeth? Any other heavy metal exposures? Try to add more fat into your diet to slow the rapid weight loss.

Pat
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about the fillings honestly. I had some done when I was a child so maybe? A few years ago had some composite fillings done...

I gained a lot of weight due to my thyroid and could still stand to lose the weight(like maybe 10 more pounds but I'm happy with a lb a month) but really want to make sure it's not because I'm over medicated. I had a clump of hair fall out in the shower and some insomnia along with sudden difficulty focussing again. I did call the doctor and she cut my dosage in half. I think it has helped so far. My labs have not been too bad but my TPO's have always been high. The first time I went on the diet the TPO's went way down and I think they are this time too. This time I will stay on it the best I can.
#425 of 862 Old 11-19-2009, 04:12 PM

I am waiting for test results right now. I have gone back and forth between adrenals, yeast, and thyroid for years. Never really had anything tested.. ND suggesting this that or the other.. all of which was never covered by insurance and cost too much for me to be able to afford on a regular basis. I would sometimes feel like there was a lump in my throat and it would come and go. I got bed gallbladder attacks after my 4th child... and I finally had my gallbladder out in June. And I feel worse than ever now! I am constantly trying to move my collar off my throat only to find out it is not there. I am actually gaining weight but I am not hungry either. I get SO TIRED In the afternoon I can barely keep my eyes open (right at pick up time.. nice.) but then I am not overly tired at night and stay up til 11. My temp is usually around 97ish. I am so sick of feeling like crap.

If my numbers come back off.. (and I didn't know to ask for free t3/t4.. she just wrote t3/t4 on the paper. I hope this is OK.) I am going to push for something. I was thinking armour but i have read online that it is REALLY hard to get.. and some people were complaining about it being reformulated and not working as well anymore. So then there is Nature-throid. When I mentioned this to my ND she was like.. Armour is Armour I don't see how i can stop working.. sigh.. (well if they changed the formulation it wouldn't work the same right?) I think if I push I can get her to grudgingly prescribe something although what she really wants is for me to take her supplements.. which I have tried in the past and while they got rid of the tightness in the throat feeling nothing else really improved. Bah. Why are doctors such a PITA?
#426 of 862 Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM

greetings...so i'm not sure if i've posted here before, but like aniT, i've had issues with adrenals, yeast, and thyroid for a few years (at the very least). i finally found a great np and got healthy.

now i'm pregnant . i've been going to the local birth center. i went in at 8w for the intro appt and blood work. since i had good TSH/ft3/4 numbers in august, they crossed that off the lab work. i was a bit annoyed, but figured i had another lab order from my np with those.

fast forward a week. np labs come back and my thyroid levels are:

tsh 4.53
ft3 3.5
ft4 0.-9

np is concerned so she calls me and we fax them to the birth center. mw at the birth center, not concerned (this is after they worked with me to get to a great, healthy point between 1-2 pre pregnancy). they gave me some gobbledy gook response, even when i countered with what the literature and such says.

my np thinks i need to move on to another mw (i'll end up with a homebirth mw...dh and i just haven't agreed on who that will be). np will not give me the script for the thyroid as she isn't managing my pregnancy.

ack, what do i do. symptom-wise, i can feel it. although, the mw thinks i'm just pregnant.

can a lay mw prescribe stuff (i'm on dessicated thyroid)? is a cnm a better bet? do my levels need to even be dealt with at this point?

thanks!
#427 of 862 Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
but you'd need to monitor how you feel closely and be willing to taper down on your dosage. Read about the symptoms of hyperthyroid because you may feel hyper as your thyroid starts working again.
Has this happened to anyone on here? I would love to hear their testimony. I haven't had any luck yet, but I do feel better. I added the iodine and I will add something else if this doesn't work. We'll what my lab results say.

To me just feel well at all is a WONDERFUL improvement even if that means taking synthroid and at least a half dozen supplements every day. I have suffered too long.
#428 of 862 Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
siberian ginseng(two weeks on two weeks off I think it is).
Is this same thing as "siberian root?"
#429 of 862 Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM

I have been wondering a couple of other things. I worry about my heart so eating so much coconut oil worries me.

Also, I've heard soy is bad for your thyroid, but maybe that is just unfermented soy? Anyone know?
#430 of 862 Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
I have been wondering a couple of other things. I worry about my heart so eating so much coconut oil worries me.
Good oils are supposed to protect your heart. This is why pure, raw butter is supposed to be good for you.. very hard to come by however.
#431 of 862 Old 11-21-2009, 03:55 PM

The past few days I have really bad puffiness under my eyes. I think I'm going to stop the kelp and see if that is what was doing it I feel dumb. I'm just now reading a lot of kelp supplements are high in arsenic. I got mine from gnc.

I did get sunburned a week ago and put some vitamin E on it. Maybe that could be doing it? My skin has been soooo dry. Olive oil helps some so I guess I will do that instead to see if it helps.
#432 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 AM

Today I had an appointment with a doctor to review some thyroid lab results. The tests the previous doctor gave me was for t4, thyroxine and fti levels. This doctor said those were outdated tests and ordered a blood panel and antibodies test. While I was there he said my eyes were prominent and my thyroid was slightly enlarged so he suspected Graves even though I think its Hashimoto's. I also had high blood pressure and a really high heart beat rate. He prescribed beta blockers and told me to take them until I can get an appointment with internal medicine in about a month.

Do you think I should take hypertension medicine? I just read this one isn't recommended for breastfeeding mothers and was debating whether or not I should ask for one that's okay. I'm really iffy because I don't want to take any medicine until they find out what's wrong. I don't want to mess up any tests or anything.
#433 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM

michelleklu- I'm sorry I don't know what I would do in that situation I hope you find some answers. Are there any other hypertension medicines that are safe for breastfeeding. Check kellymom.com

Well I don't know what was up with me...maybe a sinus infection. My face was so puffy under my eyes, but I got some sun and ate a lot of fresh fruits and veggies and now I feel and look like my old self.

I am having a great smoothie and I want to share the recipe. It has a lot of magnesium which I know I need sometimes when my thyroid has me feeling anxious. I'm trying to eat a better balance of fruits and veggies and good fats along with my protein. I'm usually good about the protein, but so so with everything else. A lot of the green smoothie recipes out there have a lot of raw cruciferous veggies, which are goiter producing, right?

Here is the recipe:

5 frozen strawberries
avocado with pit if you blender can handle it...my oster can
whole orange/tangerine with skin if your blender can handle it
half cup fresh pineapple chunks
5 raw baby carrots
half cup coconut meat...all i had was sweetened coconut flakes
lime juice (optional)
orange juice...just enough to get the right consistency
#434 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM

My results are "normal." I am picking up the copy later today to see exactly "what" normal is.
#435 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM

OK I have the results..

TSH is really low.. 1.109 (reference .300-4.000)
T3 total is 133 (reference 60-181)
T4 is 8.3 (reference 4.5-10.9)

Sigh.. so off to find something else that my symptoms fit I guess.
#436 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
OK I have the results..

TSH is really low.. 1.109 (reference .300-4.000)
T3 total is 133 (reference 60-181)
T4 is 8.3 (reference 4.5-10.9)

Sigh.. so off to find something else that my symptoms fit I guess.
are you on adrenal support?
if your thyroid is apparently okay, oftentimes it's adrenal.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#437 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
are you on adrenal support?
if your thyroid is apparently okay, oftentimes it's adrenal.
No.. but I was sure it was thyroid becuase of the tightness in the throat thing. . Bah. This comes and goes however.. maybe it's just allergies.

I will check the adrenal thread.. as well as the Candida thread.. if it's still floating around.
#438 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
Today I had an appointment with a doctor to review some thyroid lab results. The tests the previous doctor gave me was for t4, thyroxine and fti levels. This doctor said those were outdated tests and ordered a blood panel and antibodies test. While I was there he said my eyes were prominent and my thyroid was slightly enlarged so he suspected Graves even though I think its Hashimoto's. I also had high blood pressure and a really high heart beat rate. He prescribed beta blockers and told me to take them until I can get an appointment with internal medicine in about a month.

Do you think I should take hypertension medicine? I just read this one isn't recommended for breastfeeding mothers and was debating whether or not I should ask for one that's okay. I'm really iffy because I don't want to take any medicine until they find out what's wrong. I don't want to mess up any tests or anything.
Something popped in my head today...maybe ask your dr about a potassium supplement or try some bananas. Maybe someone will confirm. Hypers need more potassium and hypos need more sodium, right? ithyroid.com talks a little about it. Go with your instinct and maybe get a second opinion. I hope someone else will chime in.
#439 of 862 Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I get SO TIRED In the afternoon I can barely keep my eyes open (right at pick up time.. nice.) but then I am not overly tired at night and stay up til 11. My temp is usually around 97ish. I am so sick of feeling like crap.
That sounds like adrenals to me just based on how I felt in the afternoons at my all time low.

11pm is too late for me.
#440 of 862 Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 AM

New article from Women to Women (via their FB fan page): Just a thyroid problem? Or is it a hormonal imbalance? Like how it makes the connection between hormonal changes in perimenopause (which can start in your 30s) and the thyroid.
#441 of 862 Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM

I just returned from my doc. I got her to agree to check out my adrenals and cortisol levels. I will be back to list the labs she ordered. Why would she ask the color of my urine though???

afro.jpg
#442 of 862 Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Improving diet is essential to helping with symptoms of thyroid. Whether you have a high TSH or not, if you have the symptoms that means something is wrong. Armour or synthroid, etc do not fix the thyroid, they do its work, but that will only weaken your thyroid. The only way to actually FIX the thyroid is to improve health overall.
I regret going on Armour because now I have to work so hard to go off of it. I have no symptoms of hypo but I have put my thyroid out of commission by taking medications. I've come to the unhappy realization that I fell for the allopathic conviction that drugs will help my health. Now I realize that drugs are only for emergencies. They mask symptoms but do not heal.
Just wanted to share my experience and urge others to think twice before going on meds. There are other ways!!
#443 of 862 Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Hey does anyone know if it's safe to take this stuff while breastfeeding?

Ingredients are thyroid tissue, adrenal tissue, pituitary tissue, thymus tissue, & spleen tissue.

It's by Natural Sources. The reviews on Amazon were great and I really want to see if this helps me.

Thanks

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#444 of 862 Old 12-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimibell View Post
Improving diet is essential to helping with symptoms of thyroid. Whether you have a high TSH or not, if you have the symptoms that means something is wrong. Armour or synthroid, etc do not fix the thyroid, they do its work, but that will only weaken your thyroid. The only way to actually FIX the thyroid is to improve health overall.
I regret going on Armour because now I have to work so hard to go off of it. I have no symptoms of hypo but I have put my thyroid out of commission by taking medications. I've come to the unhappy realization that I fell for the allopathic conviction that drugs will help my health. Now I realize that drugs are only for emergencies. They mask symptoms but do not heal.
Just wanted to share my experience and urge others to think twice before going on meds. There are other ways!!
Although I do agree with you, I'm not sure I would wait to go on Armour *if my labs came back "bad"*. My TSH when all of this started was over 100 and I was sleeping for 19 hours a day (the only time I was awake was to make meals for everyone and pee with about an hour of "other" time) and I was having to supplement ds2 (4 months at the time) with 4-6 ozs formula/day though, so... Maybe I was at a point where it would be considered an emergency? Where is that line though? And how can you tell?

#445 of 862 Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM

I've been on synthroid for almost 2 months. I'm on a very low dose. I can honestly say I feel 100% better. I'm in disbelief that it could help so quickly. I went through puberty at almost 14 and never ever ever had a normal cycle. I always had a long long time (usually 2 months) in between periods and then a really long period that didn't want to end (multiple spotting, etc.). I've been constipated since childhood. I started having issues with blood pressure, blood sugar, immune system not fighting off disease well, asthma flared, then in the last 2 years food allergies popped up, then I started sweating a lot, felt tired all the time...never wanted to get out of bed, some days couldn't "think" - couldn't form the thoughts I wanted to during a conversation, like I knew my brain was not working right, had issues with anxiety and depression but just always felt like this was "me" -- who I was, my personality or whatever. Then I take this drug and I realize what it feels like to be a normal person. I feel fine. I sleep at night and I wake up refreshed at 6 a.m. every morning. I don't drink coffee, I don't need to nap, I feel great, I had the first in my life 28 day cycle! I felt like having a party! Just wanted to share. I'm not typically a person that takes any drugs -- but I was falling apart. I was tested in college (10 years ago) because I was dealing with health problems and was told I was borderline hypo and to get rechecked ... when rechecked it was "normal" ... then a few years later before conceiving my 1st child I was checked and it was abnormal again .... next month swung just under the cut off = normal. My first child was born with developmental delays/globally, low functioning autism and brain damage. I now read that this could be connected to my hypo. I have no idea if that is what happened but I wish I had started on this drug 10 years ago.
#446 of 862 Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Hi everyone - I just found this thread for a bit of support along with other ideas in helping manage/stablize some of my thyroid issues.

Overview -

14/15 y.o.- dx with Hashimoto's and was put on synthyroid for 5 years.

In my 20's- last year I just forgot to take it and etc. but my TSH levels always came back just fine in the norm, and since 2000 haven't had any problems.

Recently I've been feeling totally pooped, unfocused, and in general terrible. I was chalking it up to having a baby recently & bf'ing, but that didn't seem right either. Got into my new primary care MD, and we talked about my symptoms & she ordered a TSH level along with a check on my vit d levels too. This was based of my past hx, along with family hx. TSH came back high at 9ish, so I'm back on the synthyroid again as of today. With a request to come back in 2 months for labs.

What else could I be doing or taking to help boost my wee gland into working again, other resources I should be looking at???

Thanks!!! Kate

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#447 of 862 Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
My first child was born with developmental delays/globally, low functioning autism and brain damage. I now read that this could be connected to my hypo. I have no idea if that is what happened but I wish I had started on this drug 10 years ago.

So sorry, mama. It's so difficult to have a child with special needs, and I truly hope you are not blaming yourself as it sounds.

#448 of 862 Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post
What else could I be doing or taking to help boost my wee gland into working again, other resources I should be looking at???

Thanks!!! Kate
I'd take a look around ithyroid.com. He talks about the minerals and vitamins that our bodies need to make thyroid hormones. He doesn't talk about other stresses, like food intolerances, that can be making it more difficult for our bodies to work well. Though even if he had mentioned it, I wouldn't have thought it was me because I don't have any digestive issues. Gluten's often a problem, I think for a lot of people (regardless of whether they have thyroid issues). He talks more about heavy metals and specifically mercury than he used to, which I'm impressed with, probably because it turned out to be *my* issue.

I'd say, in general, look at your overall health history, and your family health history, and start looking for patterns, and look for common causes for those things.
#449 of 862 Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 PM

I can't decide to get my levels checked or not. It is kind of a pain b/c I have to get a babysitter. Plus I don't want to go around all those people in seek of tamiflu...sounds like a great way to catch the flu, but I guess it is everywhere. I kinda want to wait until March.

I only feel well if I sleep like 9 hours a night. 8 is okay. I slept 7 last night and wooooo today was rough. I felt like crying allll day, but I took the kids for a drive and just kind of relaxed to the radio while they got a nap. I think I did well not to take it out on everyone. I thought my fatigue was from having a cold, but that was looong ago. Hmmm. I'm going to ask him to test my iodine too. Last time they increased my dose of armour it made me feel really hyper and anxious even with adrenal support. But now I'm off of armour so maybe that won't be an issue. I seem to tolerate synthroid better.

How much are you guys sleeping? Some days are great, and some are just hard.
#450 of 862 Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Hi everyone~I'm new to this thread! I just got tested and my TSH is 4.9 so I'm going on meds. I don't have insurance, so I decided to try Nutri-meds. They should come in the mail any day now. I can't wait to feel better. If these don't work for me, I will go get prescribed something. I'm new to the thyroid thing and have been reading up on www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. If I struggle with my medication journey, I know you ladies will give me some great advice!!

I lost my infant son when I was 40 weeks pregnant in March. I found out on my due date, and we were completely devastated. Since then we have dealt with a lot of changes including an overseas move (back to the U.S. to be near my son's grave--we were military). I am dealing with depression, NO sex drive, no energy, unable to lose the baby weight after 9 months, among many other low-thyroid symptoms. I am so excited to feel like my old self again.

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page