The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Violet, have you done food journals and identified food intolerances? Along with the steroid, that could mess up your gut, thus impair nutrient absorption, leading to inflamed gut and asthma, etc.

Are you doing any whole food probiotics, that would help with the inflammatory process, making the steroids less necessary. Also, have you tried the Buteyko breathing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpZRZ0rVGI

Pat

I have a blog.
#482 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM

I take probiotics everyday.

I am familiar with that breathing method but don't practice it. Exercise is therapeutic for me and I count it as similar to the breathing exercises in effect.

Aside from shellfish, I have not identified any food intolerance or allergies.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#483 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Hi,
I have read a bit of this thread, but no where near the whole thing... I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction...

Background: was diagnosed with Hashimotos when I was 15... mostly because I was cold all of the time and my fingers and toes would turn completely white from poor circulation, my mom took me to the dr. and they tested my thyroid levels (both of my parents became hypo as adults)... I dont remember exactly but I know my tsh was 600+ at the time. I saw an endo for a period of time but don't really remember much, 15 yr olds have other priorities I guess... I have been on 175 mcg of synthroid since establishing that, so about 12 years now... my dr. tried to lower my level to 150 when I was in college and I began experiencing a huge problem with depression and inability to concentrate (not good for senior year of college!!) when I tested my tsh was in the 30's.... I dont really know how I was handling tsh of 600 as a teen. I've never really experienced problems with weight or cholesterol when hypo, mostly depression, fatigue, feeling cold.
Anyway, now I'm pregnant and have been monitoring throughout the pregnancy, gone up to 200 mcg synthroid.

Issue 1: The endo I am now seeing has become interested in my cholesterol all of a sudden. Before pregnancy it was low, (130) but now in last trimester it has sky-rocketed, (270, high hdl and ldl), but from what I've read it is normal for cholesterol to be very high at the end of pregnancy, like up to 325. I am re-testing in a week or so and my endo told me if its higher or hasn't gone down she wants me to start taking cholesterol meds. Has anyone with hypo had an endo testing their cholesterol and/or recommending cholesterol med. in the 3rd trimester??? I don't see the issue as it's apparently normal and should go down to pre-pregnancy levels after delivery??

Issue 2: I've started to become interested in Desiccated thyroid treatments... I never realized the issues with synthroid/t4 until I started reading this thread. I guess I should obviously wait until after the baby is born to try anything, but what about while breastfeeding? I would like to breastfeed for 2 yrs, do you think I could start changing therapies while bf or should wait???
I am in Brazil so I don't know what they have available here, will have to find out. I'm also worried my current endo will not like the idea and I'll have to find someone else.

My endo is only regularly testing my tsh and t4, should I ask for t3?? I always thought the tsh was the most important # and the only one I've ever really paid attention to...
I'm also kind of scared about maybe trying desiccated thyroid treatments, my drs have always presented my need level of synthroid of being very high... I guess in the past I bought the idea that the desiccated thyroid options were not regulated well or the "archaic" therapy... anyone go from high synthroid levels to armour, etc. successfully? I'm a bit scared to even try, do you think its worth it? in the past when my thyroid got screwed up it really has affected my life in negative ways....
#484 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM

You need to know what your exact numbers were: ldl, hdl and triglycerides. Because that really determines the way forward. I would suspect your triglycerides are high which can put you at risk of pancreatitis.

I would try fish oil first before statins. Statins can be bad news. Get some coromega and do 2 packets a day. If you already take fish oil, I would up the dose.

And cut down on sugar--especially if your triglycerides are high. That may be all you need to do.

I don't have much advice re: the thyroid stuff as I'm new to it myself.

HTH
V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#485 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM

so generally my endo takes cholesterol spikes as a sign as something isn't right with the thyroid matrix and starts testing that way. Pregnancy is generally hard on your thyroid and you can have spikes with hashimiotos due to your immune system going kind of wacky during and after pregnancy plus you have all this hormone stuff going on which totally wacks iut thyroid take in at the cellular level.

net: i would be very skeptical of your endo and def second the fish oil recommendations... it's great for pregnancy/breastfeeding mamas regardless of cholesterol!
#486 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Hi all, I have been following this tread to some degree and because of advice I have switched from synthroid (on it for 15 years) to a natural compounded thyroid. I have been on this since october. I have also developed 'new' food intolerances to such a degree that I am now trying the SCD diet. Hmmm, could this be linked to my new thyroid meds? in some way?

I have been GFCF for almost a decade. It seems to me that new food intolerances could be due to stress issues, but thought I would look into the thyroid meds question because it has happened a the same time.

not all who wander are lost
#487 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

well my triglycerides were 184, which is high, but ive read 200+ is cause for concern... ldl 173 and hdl 63. i have been taking flax seed oil regularly for omegas, i did take fish oil before but had a problem keeping it down in early pregnancy, would flax work the same way as fish in regards to cholesterol? it will be interesting to see my levels next time... i guess i should start making a list of things to bring up with my endo, i dont really see the point of starting statins when delivery will be about 6 weeks away. i still dont know if it is normal to test thyroid patients for cholesterol in late pregnancy, i feel like maybe my dr. is just trying to push some more meds on me, that is the general medical trend ive noticed where im living...
thanks for the sugar suggestion, i have been eating more sugary things than normal...
#488 of 862 Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraz View Post
well my triglycerides were 184, which is high, but ive read 200+ is cause for concern... ldl 173 and hdl 63. i have been taking flax seed oil regularly for omegas, i did take fish oil before but had a problem keeping it down in early pregnancy, would flax work the same way as fish in regards to cholesterol? it will be interesting to see my levels next time... i guess i should start making a list of things to bring up with my endo, i dont really see the point of starting statins when delivery will be about 6 weeks away. i still dont know if it is normal to test thyroid patients for cholesterol in late pregnancy, i feel like maybe my dr. is just trying to push some more meds on me, that is the general medical trend ive noticed where im living...
thanks for the sugar suggestion, i have been eating more sugary things than normal...
Yeah, I would push to wait and see how the cholesterol levels change post partum.

Flax is not complete, it's only 1/2 the equation. Coromega has an orange taste. Or you can get enteric double coated capsules that have no taste and no fish burps.

Your triglycerides are slightly elevated. In my experience, it's easier to get those down than affect LDL or HDL. So I would start fish oil and cut sugar which will give you some immediate downward movement in your total cholesterol number.

V

#489 of 862 Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM

When I was pregnant, my doctor wouldn't even test cholesterol. She said the hormones make it temporarily high. When I was breastfeeding, my cholesterol was 200 and now it is 140.
#490 of 862 Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM

yeah, thats what i dont get... i havent found much info on cholesterol and pregnancy because i dont think most drs. even care/test for it. the little info ive read said that it sky rockets in the end of pregnancy, which has to do with baby's brain development. i told my endo this last time but she said she wasnt so concerned with the overall highness, but that the ldl was elevated... am i missing something or if pregnancy levels go to 300+ total of course the ldl would be elevated as well??? i have not gained much weight this pregnancy, 32 weeks about 12 pounds, so i kinda have figured if i want the ice cream i should just eat it. i have pretty good overall eating habits though. i know high cholesterol can indicate problems with thyroid, but i dont understand her concern with that in pregnancy. also, after learning so much about NCB and flaws in the medical system im starting to get really paranoid about my drs... i dont know if im just looking extra hard to have faults with them now, but i really do not understand her testing for it at this point, ive never had issues pre-pregnancy, even before my hypothyroid was treated...
#491 of 862 Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I don't know IF this has been posted already or if it's a good source but I thought it was a good read

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/has...yroiditis.html
#492 of 862 Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM

I started my iodine today. I only took 1/4 dropper of Iosol which isn't very much. I haven't noticed any side effects. I do feel pretty good, definitely less cold. I hope this helps me.

I'm a little anxious/stressed which is common for me in the afternoons. The pm is so BUSY with homework, cooking, dishes, baths, and bedtime. I took some mag, C, and b complex. Now I'm going to read my book and rest.
#493 of 862 Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
I started my iodine today. I only took 1/4 dropper of Iosol which isn't very much. I haven't noticed any side effects. I do feel pretty good, definitely less cold. I hope this helps me.

I'm a little anxious/stressed which is common for me in the afternoons. The pm is so BUSY with homework, cooking, dishes, baths, and bedtime. I took some mag, C, and b complex. Now I'm going to read my book and rest.
Good luck with the iodine. THat's on my list of supplements to start once the doctor tells me my u/s and blood work don't worry him. That's pretty much how my luck goes medically. There's a problem, but no one can ever find it.

Today I had my thyroid ultrasound and they looked at my gallbladder which is malfunctioning despite no stones (that I could see).

V

#494 of 862 Old 02-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Good luck with the iodine. THat's on my list of supplements to start once the doctor tells me my u/s and blood work don't worry him. That's pretty much how my luck goes medically. There's a problem, but no one can ever find it.

Today I had my thyroid ultrasound and they looked at my gallbladder which is malfunctioning despite no stones (that I could see).

V
Yes, I get this! I ordered it the day my dr called and said everything was "normal." I got fed up with feeling bad. I can tell you sleeping 10 hours a night and wearing your coat inside your 70 degree house is not normal. Yeah I need to find a new dr, but how to survive in the mean time.

Today I feel great! Could it be the iodine? I don't know, but I'm not going to complain. I'm going to take it every other day for now and watch for side effects.
#495 of 862 Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

What type of iodine are you guys using?
#496 of 862 Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm taking Iosol that I got on amazon. It is a lower dose than Iodoral and Lugol's. I wanted to start slow and see how I felt.
#497 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 AM

Got ahold of the dr's office for test results:
TSH 5.14 (down from 7.68 last month but I also took my meds that morning, and you're not supposed to iirc)
Anti-TPO >1000
Didn't do anti-TG (bc I couldn't remember the name of it)
No recommendation to increase meds. Haven't talked to dr yet but I doubt there will be.
*sigh*

Suggestions anyone?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#498 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Got ahold of the dr's office for test results:
TSH 5.14 (down from 7.68 last month but I also took my meds that morning, and you're not supposed to iirc)
Anti-TPO >1000
Didn't do anti-TG (bc I couldn't remember the name of it)
No recommendation to increase meds. Haven't talked to dr yet but I doubt there will be.
*sigh*

Suggestions anyone?
I would start by repeating the blood work and not taking your meds. The results you have aren't accurate. Then you can ask for the anti-TG test too.

V

#499 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
I would start by repeating the blood work and not taking your meds. The results you have aren't accurate. Then you can ask for the anti-TG test too.

V
I'm confused... are you not supposed to take medicine before getting the TSH test done? No one told me that...
#500 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
I'm confused... are you not supposed to take medicine before getting the TSH test done? No one told me that...
I never have. I can't find the article about that issue atm either, but it's also worth noting that I went in at 5pm (and last test was at 9:30am).
According to this article, that fact alone may have decreased my TSH by as much as 26%.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/getteste...a/tshtests.htm
(I can't do links for some reason atm. Sorry. )

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#501 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM

I jumped the gun. Talked to doctor's office again (now that the doctor's actually there) and she is recommending a slight increase in medication (no idea what "slight" is) so they're calling that in today. Which is both great and irksome since we went to the city yesterday to fill my (useless) prescription (the apothecary is closed on the weekend and DH had to be at work today and today was my last day of medication... not cutting it TOO close I was actually hoping to get my new dose before refilling.). I guess I'll take advantage of their mailing option so that we don't have to drive back over again and I get my (hopefully) proper dosage sooner.

#502 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 PM

I wouldn't do Coromega or any other "stripped" form of fish oil. We want natural high vitamin cod liver oil with the vitamins A and D. A deficiency alone in these can contribute to thyroid malfunction. Also there is evidence that taking the polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA's) without vitamins A and D lead to oxidization of the oils in the package and the body (formation of free radicals).

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil/

JR,

Selenium and lots of magnesium are vital. Are you taking full complement of B vits? Enough vitamin A and D?
#503 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
JR,

Selenium and lots of magnesium are vital. Are you taking full complement of B vits? Enough vitamin A and D?
I take 250mg Selenium daily (total) and 1150mg Mag.
I take a (Vital nutrients) B-complex and a (Thorne) prenatal vite. I get 2000 IUs of preformed A, 3000 IUs of caretenoids and 2600 IUs of D daily. And I recently (a couple of months?) started vitamin E.
I had started iodine, but was starting REALLY low and slow (as in, I added an extra 75mcg) but just read on Stop The Thyroid Madness that people with Hashi's should be on 50mg (following an iodine loading test). Yeesh.
Being sick is expensive. And that's not even mentioning the social costs.

#504 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
JR, wandering a bit off-topic, when you run out of your Thorne prenatals, maybe consider the Thorne Basic Nutrients? Much higher level of Bs plus a lot more folate, and you can get them without copper. Might not need a separate B complex then.
#505 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
JR, wandering a bit off-topic, when you run out of your Thorne prenatals, maybe consider the Thorne Basic Nutrients? Much higher level of Bs plus a lot more folate, and you can get them without copper. Might not need a separate B complex then.
Just looked at this quickly but...
Firstly, my B-complex and my prenatals atm = 4 pills. The Basic Nutrients is 6. I'm trying to DECREASE my pills (even though I keep increasing instead ). And the Basic Nutrients actually has the same amount of folate in those 6 pills as my 3 prenatal pills. Everything else is higher than my prenatal alone, but... I'll make a spreadsheet in a sec to compare.

#506 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I get 2000 IUs of preformed A, 3000 IUs of caretenoids and 2600 IUs of D daily. And I recently (a couple of months?) started vitamin E.
I had started iodine, but was starting REALLY low and slow (as in, I added an extra 75mcg) but just read on Stop The Thyroid Madness that people with Hashi's should be on 50mg (following an iodine loading test). Yeesh.
Being sick is expensive. And that's not even mentioning the social costs.
Tell me about it!!! socially, emotionally, marriage-ally...

The WAPF recommends standard amount of vitamin A should be 20,000 IU per day from all sources (traditional foods included that is) as a regular amount and up to 90,000 IU per day in times of illness.

That amount of D was still giving me low blood level tests. I had to up to 10,000 IU per day for a couple months then dropped down to 5,000.

Yes, iodine researchers have said that low iodine is key cause of Hashi's (and all thyroid disorders). I have detox issues too. I haven't been brave enough to go up so high despite people on the Iodine Yahoo group saying they feel better at higher doses.
#507 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Tell me about it!!! socially, emotionally, marriage-ally...

The WAPF recommends standard amount of vitamin A should be 20,000 IU per day from all sources (traditional foods included that is) as a regular amount and up to 90,000 IU per day in times of illness.

That amount of D was still giving me low blood level tests. I had to up to 10,000 IU per day for a couple months then dropped down to 5,000.

Yes, iodine researchers have said that low iodine is key cause of Hashi's (and all thyroid disorders). I have detox issues too. I haven't been brave enough to go up so high despite people on the Iodine Yahoo group saying they feel better at higher doses.
That's a LOT of A! I'm also looking at another Thorne vitamin atm called Immune Support or something with 57,500 IU of A- but it's 12 pills per day .
I took 150,000IU of D a week for 6 months to get my levels up to par then my ND told me to cut back to 2000.

Still doing my spreadsheet up here. Although it looks like the Basic Nutrients falls short on most of the Bs (eta: as in, it doesn't have as much as my prenatal AND my B complex together), it's higher in some other things.

#508 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM

*sigh*
Well, my analysis is:
No matter which way I go, in order to get all of the nutrients at optimal levels according to all 3 supplements, I would need to take (minimum) another 10 pills per day.

#509 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you do the A with cod liver oil? Not sure if a spoonful of oil is better or worse, but it may really reduce the # of pills.

I didn't realize the prenatal had more than 400mcg folate, my memory _is_ what it used to be.
#510 of 862 Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Can you do the A with cod liver oil? Not sure if a spoonful of oil is better or worse, but it may really reduce the # of pills.

I didn't realize the prenatal had more than 400mcg folate, my memory _is_ what it used to be.
That estimate was assuming that either a) I found a supp which supplied nearly 50,000IU of vitamin A in ONE pill or b) I used the Immune Support complex by Thorne.

eta: And believe me, I understand about the memory.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page