Forum Jump: 

#121 of 863 Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
:
I started out on L-thyroxine, didn't feel it was doing what I needed it to (but at least I wasn't sleeping for 20 hours of the day anymore), switched to NatureThroid (similar to Armour) and added in more vitamin supplements under the supervision of my ND.
Do what you need to do to get to where you want to be.
Thanks for the support. It's good to know I'm not stuck with anything for eternity. I wrote more in the above post but wanted to let you know I appreciate the info!
#122 of 863 Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gardenmom, is the dizziness happening when you change position quickly? Like sitting to standing, or lying down to sitting? That's a big clue for adrenal problems. When I was asked by the chiro, I said no cause I'd gotten so used to it I didn't even realize it anymore. It took me a long time to realize that my adrenals had been slowly becoming more and more stressed, it was a process of a couple decades, and then life stress pushed my adrenals and thyroid over the edge and I hit a wall. As Jacqueline mentioned, these two very often go hand-in-hand.
#123 of 863 Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 AM

I was going to say basically what Tanya did, but also wanted to ask if ear infections have been an ongoing problem for you and if you've ever been tested for allergies? From my research, undiagnosed allergies can often lead to an adrenal problem which can then lead to thyroid problems. It's really fascinating how interconnected all the systems of the body are.

ETA: Also, do you have asthma? This is often a misdiagnosis of adrenal fatigue and is also often a further symptom of undiagnosed allergies.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#124 of 863 Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 PM

On to my next adventure - just found out I'm pregnant for the first time since being diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, Total Thyroidectomy, Radioactive Iodine, etc.

Anybody else been through a pregnancy after all that? I have some questions.

Thanks

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#125 of 863 Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
On to my next adventure - just found out I'm pregnant for the first time since being diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer, Total Thyroidectomy, Radioactive Iodine, etc.

Anybody else been through a pregnancy after all that? I have some questions.

Thanks
Can't say that I have been. I can't even imagine all of that.
Congrats on your pregnancy!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#126 of 863 Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Gardenmom, is the dizziness happening when you change position quickly? Like sitting to standing, or lying down to sitting? That's a big clue for adrenal problems.
I'd have to say that I'm 99% sure that it's not specifically tied to position change. It seems to be random and can occur while sitting at the computer, or standing washing the dishes, etc. with no major movement. If I feel a bit wobbly, and look at something still, it seems to get better. The nasty attack of vertigo that sent me to the ER started in my sleep. I may have rolled over to set it off, but don't think so. My feeling is that I had been sleeping on my back for some time without moving, but I can't be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR
I was going to say basically what Tanya did, but also wanted to ask if ear infections have been an ongoing problem for you and if you've ever been tested for allergies? From my research, undiagnosed allergies can often lead to an adrenal problem which can then lead to thyroid problems. It's really fascinating how interconnected all the systems of the body are
I've never had an ear infection (to my knowledge) and have only had two sinus infections in my life...this one and once about 6 years ago. No asthma, no allergies that I know of, but I've never been tested. My Mother had huge allergy problems around this age, as did my Sister (19 years older than me), but both have resolved on their own.

At this point I am pretty sure the dizziness is an inner ear thing due to a lot of factors that fit. Now of course it could be worse due to hormone problems, but I've always had motion sickness in some form, so this truly doesn't surprise me.

Thanks for all the info! I will definitely look into adrenal issues in depth. I can only absorb so much at each sitting, and have begun keeping a health journal as well as a list of thyroid related information and links to pursue.
#127 of 863 Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 AM

P.S. I just took my first pill of Armour tonight, sigh. Just wanted to add that it's truly depressing to be 39 (birthday yesterday) and thinking I might have to rely on a drug therapy every day for the rest of my life.
#128 of 863 Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Sorry if this was mentioned, but dizziness can also be candida overgrowth, adrenal fatigue or low vitamin D. I get that from time to time.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#129 of 863 Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
Just wanted to add that it's truly depressing to be 39 (birthday yesterday) and thinking I might have to rely on a drug therapy every day for the rest of my life.
I'm sans thyroid so I don't have an option. But I wanted to add that I very much felt like this in the beginning. We're a no-aspirin, no-medications unless dying family. So, for me, it was a huge deal to be on drug therapy. But then I remembered that if I had a brain disorder I wouldn't have an issue with taking something...heart disorder I'd take something in a heartbeat. Why not allow myself the positive feelings of taking care of my body to the best of my ability. Being on lifelong medication isn't a bad thing...it just is what it is. It took me about a year to get to this point mentally, though.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#130 of 863 Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM

Subbing

I may be joining you. I went to the doc today because I feel awful. He is suspecting Hypothyroid. They are doing some blood tests and I should have some results next week.

I see you all are discussing plantar fasciitis. I do have that.

Here are some of my symptoms:

Fatigue
Sluggishness
Increased sensitivity to cold (I feel very cold most of the time)
Pale, dry skin
A puffy face
An elevated blood cholesterol level (at least when last tested two years ago)
Unexplained weight gain (24 pounds since this summer)
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints (I am having a terrible time with my back, especially in the morning)
Muscle weakness
Heavier than normal menstrual periods (I thought this was because I had my tubes tied in May)
Brittle fingernails and hair
Depression (I was thinking this was PPD)
Hair Loss (Again thinking this was post partum stuff. But its been alot more this time)
Dizzieness
Lack of sex drive....sigh

Some of this I attributed to having a baby almost 8 months ago. But I still feel wiped out.

One question. I am having problems with both ears. I have had popping in my left ear for two years now (after an ear infection). Then now the right ear as of last month. The Doc mentioned this could be tied to Hypo. If my tests come back negative he said I should see an ENT. He did look in my ears and they looked normal.

ETA - Confussion!

Memory Loss

Dang, I keep remembering more symptoms.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#131 of 863 Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Maybe I should get a new name of "Thread Killer".

What happens if my test results come back negative? Am I crazy? Is this all in my head? One part of me wants nothing to be wrong and the other wants something to be wrong to put a name on it. Also to prove, its not me being lazy and fat.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#132 of 863 Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Sorry, I meant to respond to you yesterday but I've been having 2 (semi) good days in a row, which is rare this pregnancy. (That means I felt well enough to actually get something done around the house.)
It sounds very much like you belong with us. I hope that you see the results on the test to help you feel better. I believe there may be something to do with ear problems and adrenal fatigue, not so much with thyroid problems, though everything is connected in the body, yk?
There is a theory which states thyroid problems may be the result of long untreated adrenal fatigue, and adrenal fatigue may be exacerbated by allergies (which I would look into if you're prone to ear infections).
HTH a little at least.
Sorry you're joining us but you're welcome to be here.

#133 of 863 Old 01-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Maybe I should get a new name of "Thread Killer".
No way. That is my title (usually)! Welcome to the thread. I'm new here too, and have already gotten great help and suggestions from the Mamas here.
#134 of 863 Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to respond to you yesterday but I've been having 2 (semi) good days in a row, which is rare this pregnancy. (That means I felt well enough to actually get something done around the house.)
It sounds very much like you belong with us. I hope that you see the results on the test to help you feel better. I believe there may be something to do with ear problems and adrenal fatigue, not so much with thyroid problems, though everything is connected in the body, yk?
There is a theory which states thyroid problems may be the result of long untreated adrenal fatigue, and adrenal fatigue may be exacerbated by allergies (which I would look into if you're prone to ear infections).
HTH a little at least.
Sorry you're joining us but you're welcome to be here.
Off to research adrenal fatigue.

Quote:
No way. That is my title (usually)! Welcome to the thread. I'm new here too, and have already gotten great help and suggestions from the Mamas here.
We can share the title then.

#135 of 863 Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM

tic toc tic toc

#136 of 863 Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
P.S. I just took my first pill of Armour tonight, sigh. Just wanted to add that it's truly depressing to be 39 (birthday yesterday) and thinking I might have to rely on a drug therapy every day for the rest of my life.
Well if it makes you feel better I'm only 27. I did used to feel down about having to take medicine. How do you like armour? I actually ended up liking synthroid better. I feel more calm on it for some reason. I hope it helps you! Taking my medicine is like brushing my teeth now. I do not think I'm suffering any side effects from it. At this, I'm happy to not be fatigued. I would do a rain dance outside naked if that is what it took! Seriously, go with what works.
#137 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Tests came back negative. Now what?

#138 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

You need to get a copy of the labwork (if you don't have it already) and look at the values yourself. I felt horrible for a year as my labwork slowly, slowly drifted out of range. The reference range is too wide for most people. Once you get your labwork, this thread can help with the numbers.
#139 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 07:32 PM

Okay. I don't have a copy of them, but I will request them.

He (the FP Doc) suggest I contact an endocrinologist or my OB. That maybe they could run a more specialized test.

Is this all in my head? Did I gain 24 pounds since the summer because I just don't know how to eat right? Am I freezing all the time because I am cold blooded?

#140 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:

He (the FP Doc) suggest I contact an endocrinologist or my OB. That maybe they could run a more specialized test.

Is this all in my head? Did I gain 24 pounds since the summer because I just don't know how to eat right? Am I freezing all the time because I am cold blooded?

Or did the doctor not know which "specialized" (appropriate) tests to order? But you can read and know.

Pat

I have a blog.
#141 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:

As Tanya said and Pat has suggested, the doctor may have no real idea how to interpret the results, nor even which tests he needed to run. By the time my hypothyroidism was "caught" (despite years of complaining about symptoms etc etc), my TSH was over 100 (and that's a lab they *usually* run when checking thyroid).
Don't fret. There's hope.

#142 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Or did the doctor not know which "specialized" (appropriate) tests to order? But you can read and know.

Pat

Quote:
As Tanya said and Pat has suggested, the doctor may have no real idea how to interpret the results, nor even which tests he needed to run. By the time my hypothyroidism was "caught" (despite years of complaining about symptoms etc etc), my TSH was over 100 (and that's a lab they *usually* run when checking thyroid).
Don't fret. There's hope.

OH! Now I get what Pat was trying to tell me.

Okay, this Doc is really really new. I mean he just did a rotation with Dr. Weil last year. Thats one reason why I decided to start seeing him because I thought with doing a rotation with Dr. Weil he would be more open to other alternatives.

So tomorrow (its after 5:30 here now)....I will call and get copies of my labs. I am then going to call an Endo. I bet I will need a referral. My insurance doesn't need it, but the Endo might. My FP Doc said he would be happy to do that for me.

My poor kids are looking at me wondering if Mommy was losing it. (saw me crying my eyes out because I so desperately wanted an answer). My DD1 even brought me tissues. Told me Daddy will hold you when he come home.

#143 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM

With all your stress mama, it is probably adrenal fatigue. And I don't need a test to notice that.

Here are some Cliff Notes, with links, about thyroid and adrenal issues, testing, plus nutritional alternatives and support. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d#post12957471

Pat

I have a blog.
#144 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Also, some Bach Flower remedies are your friend.

Adding Natural Calm will help significantly. http://www.calmnatural.com/product/18340500004

As well as some Bach Flower remedies. They are all natural, safe remedies for stress, upset, fear, depression, etc. You can select those that best suit based upon reading about each one or taking the quiz at the remedy finder (first link). You can choose up to 5 or so and mix a few drops of each in water and sip as needed, or take straight in the midst of a stressful situation.

Guaranteed to help. :

http://www.ainsworths.com/remedy/default.aspx

http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm

http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm

I love Rescue Remedy.

The big thing is to increase your health status. Increase consumption of CLO, CO, magnesium, zinc, vitamins A, B, C, D, E, bone broths, whole food probiotics: yogurt, kefir, kombucha, fermented vegetables.

Epsom salt baths will help with stress!

You have a busy and challenging month ahead.

Pat

I have a blog.
#145 of 863 Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Okay. I don't have a copy of them, but I will request them.

The thing you need to get firmly fixed in your head is that you can figure this out. I got blown off by my first doc (being freezing cold while pregnant is NOT normal) but that was actually a real blessing (a bit disguised for a while). These are real changes--they're not normal for _you_. You will find your answers--it's hard when you feel bad, many of us have been there, but this will work out.

ETA--and yes to Pat's (and Jacqueline's) suggestion that adrenal fatigue and thyroid problems often co-exist. Took me forever to really see that my adrenals had been going downhill for years before my thyroid very abruptly tanked. And you've got enough stress, I think, that your adrenals have been stressed (each can exist separately of course as well).
#146 of 863 Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

I just picked up my lab results. Now what?

#147 of 863 Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Are you willing to post the thyroid-related stuff here? I'm assuming everything they tested (however much it was based on your symptoms) was in range?

Um... off the top of my head, the range for TSH usually goes up to about 5-ish, but most people feel good under 2 (I felt good at 1.05 and bad at 1.55). Did they do free T3 and free T4? Those are usually helpful as well.
#148 of 863 Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Tanya:
Quote:
the range for TSH usually goes up to about 5-ish, but most people feel good under 2 (I felt good at 1.05 and bad at 1.55).
That's really interesting.

I just had thyroid labs done for my 12 yr old dd.
Her tsh was 2.24
I also had them test her ferretin levels which are:
37 (13-150)

The MD insists her thyroid function is "normal".
Her symptoms:
Tired
Cold
Lower back pain
Dry skin
Heavy periods (she just started menstruating this year.)
She's a bit heavy - not fat - but chubby around the middle.

She also gets dizzy several times throughout the day at school. The way she describes it it sounds like light headedness - especially in P.E.

And a couple times recently she's gotten a bad headache on one side above the eye area. Not always on same side though.

She doesn't have any hair loss - in fact she's got 3 ppl's worth of hair!

MD wouldn't test for antibodies even though I have Hashi's and my mom has Grave's.

I started dd on iodine and it is helping some.

My question for you all is, does it sound like she needs more thyroid support?
MD won't give her Armour, but I could give it to her myself. Or is there something else???

Thanks for any ideas you all may have.

FP
#149 of 863 Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM

Frannie, for a kid I'd probably try to find someone to work with (maybe a TSH of 2.24 _could_ be normal, but if there are symptoms, I'd want to work to improve thyroid functioning). I went alternative for my thyroid and adrenal problems--and since so many people find that adrenal problems precede thyroid, I'd want someone who is able to deal with both--ND, maybe a chiropractor or acupuncturist, probably some MDs as well, maybe others too.

For me, I never took synthroid or armour or whatever--by the time I _finally_ got a prescription, I'd decided to turn to the dark side and just do this with vitamin and mineral supplements. I believe that hypo (and hyper) thyroid problems are mostly mineral and vitamin deficiencies. That's how I treated myself, but I didn't address my adrenals which were pretty fatigued, and so I still had to go back and do more work. One place to read a lot about vitamins and minerals and thyroid function is ithyroid.com--but again, with a kid, I'd probably try to find someone to work with.

Eventually you'll want to think about why her body's gotten so out of balance. My mom has Graves (was probably undiagnosed hypo most of her adult life), so I do think some of this is genetic, but I think it's more an inherited tendency to be susceptible to particular stresses that manifest in particular ways in us. Other people are susceptible to other things.
#150 of 863 Old 01-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, Tanya.
I was wondering about testing her adrenals. Mine are shot.
I don't take Armour or Synthroid either - even though I have scripts for both.
Iodine has been wonderful for me - I no longer have hypo symptoms or detectable antibodies.
I do have to take adrenal support though or I get in trouble fast.

Dd's symptoms seem like low iron to me most the time, but I think her thyroid could also use some support. She just seems so young to have these imbalances! Sigh...

She eats well, drinks nourishing herbal infusions, etc.

I would like to take her to a ND - I need a money tree though cause her insurance won't cover one.

Thanks again.

FP

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page