The Thyroid Thread (Part II) - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#241 of 862 Old 03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
 
llnmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick question...

Got started on Armour ( : didn't even have to beg!!) about 2.5 weeks ago. I take it in the AM, usually around the time I eat breakfast (7:30 or so). I take nothing else...all day. By 12:30 or 1:00 I feel like it's difficult to catch my breath, or maybe more like I'm aware of my breathing and that it feels restricted. I CAN breathe, I'm just very aware that it feels tight. By late afternoon and all evening I keep feeling as though I could cough something up and if I did I would feel better. But I can't because there is really nothing there.

Anyone have any thoughts on this being due to too low a dose of Armour (had my thyroid removed 3.5 weeks ago) or am I reacting negatively to it.

I thought I read that someone mentioned shortness of breath as a hypo symptom....

Calling my HCP in the AM...but want to be armed with some thoughts and ideas before I phone.

~L.
llnmaw is offline  
#242 of 862 Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
Can anyone advise me what thyroid tests I should get? I have lots of hypo syndromes like
  • weight gain/difficulty losing
  • feeling cold often
  • brain fog
  • constipation
  • irregular periods
  • infertility
  • fatigue
I had tests done at Kaiser and my results were:
TSH 3.39
Free T4 1.2
Prolactin 11
Testosterone free 2.4
Testosterone total 35

I emailed my doctor about my TSH being above 3.0 and feeling like I have hypothyroidism. She emailed back saying that their range goes up to 5.5. She also said that if I had hypo, my free T4 would have been low.

I just feel that my concerns were not taken seriously. After reading the Thyroid I and II threads, I think that I'm hypo. I'd like to get some tests done from an independent lab. What other tests should I get done?
I'd say it's not a matter of what other tests, it's a matter of finding a HCP who uses symptoms and has a better understanding of where healthy people fall. The normal range is wide, your TSH is darn high and although I think your FT4 is in range, healthy, asymptomatic people are in the top third of the range. Some HCPs will look at your current labs and see that yes, there's a real problem here, and some will not, and you'd have to wait and hope your bloodwork trends out of the reference range.

You could try a more alternative HCP, maybe a naturopath, who could prescribe a thyroid replacement based on your symptoms and atypical lab results. Or you could go more alternative and find a HCP who has experience working with hypothyroid people with supps and various things (acupuncture could probably help) so that you don't ever take a thyroid replacement, but you take other supplements so that your thyroid produces enough hormone on its own.

Just in terms of labs--free T3 is really what your body has available to use, but it's possible that would also be in the low end of the normal range, which means you really do feel bad, no doubt, but your current HCP would probably not treat.
tanyalynn is offline  
#243 of 862 Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
 
NewDirections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
Can anyone advise me what thyroid tests I should get? I have lots of hypo syndromes like
  • weight gain/difficulty losing
  • feeling cold often
  • brain fog
  • constipation
  • irregular periods
  • infertility
  • fatigue
I had tests done at Kaiser and my results were:
TSH 3.39
Free T4 1.2
Prolactin 11
Testosterone free 2.4
Testosterone total 35

I emailed my doctor about my TSH being above 3.0 and feeling like I have hypothyroidism. She emailed back saying that their range goes up to 5.5. She also said that if I had hypo, my free T4 would have been low.

I just feel that my concerns were not taken seriously. After reading the Thyroid I and II threads, I think that I'm hypo. I'd like to get some tests done from an independent lab. What other tests should I get done?
The above it my previous post, I just wanted to update and also ask a question. Instead of paying for my own labs, I decided to give Kaiser another try with a different dr. This doctor was more helpful and agreed with me that something is up with me due to my TSH and hypo symptoms. He prescribed 30mg (1/2 grain) of Armour : I'm really happy about this but I'm wondering is that enough? In the reading that I've done, most people are taking at least 1 grain if not more. Did anyone else start out at this low dose? Did it help?

jog.gifkid.gif

NewDirections is offline  
#244 of 862 Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little annoyed.
Got my test results today (finally... they were pulled last month). I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have been complaining about thyroid symptoms acting up for the last 10 weeks or so, only to be told over and over "that's just normal pregnancy stuff.. normal pregnancy stuff..."
Turns out my TSH is "fine" but my FT4 is "a little low"... The range is 0.61- ?? (can't remember the upper number). My FT4 is 0.59. TSH is 2.84 (reference is ??- 4.6).
So I have to phone tomorrow to get an appointment with my PCP to discuss my medication. I want it upped. I'm sick of being out of breath from walking across the room.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#245 of 862 Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
 
NewDirections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
A little annoyed.
Got my test results today (finally... they were pulled last month). I'm 32 weeks pregnant and have been complaining about thyroid symptoms acting up for the last 10 weeks or so, only to be told over and over "that's just normal pregnancy stuff.. normal pregnancy stuff..."
Turns out my TSH is "fine" but my FT4 is "a little low"... The range is 0.61- ?? (can't remember the upper number). My FT4 is 0.59. TSH is 2.84 (reference is ??- 4.6).
So I have to phone tomorrow to get an appointment with my PCP to discuss my medication. I want it upped. I'm sick of being out of breath from walking across the room.
It is so frustrating when our symptoms are not taken seriously by our hcps. I hope your pcp is receptive to your request to up your medication

jog.gifkid.gif

NewDirections is offline  
#246 of 862 Old 04-01-2009, 11:35 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
It is so frustrating when our symptoms are not taken seriously by our hcps. I hope your pcp is receptive to your request to up your medication
Thank you. I hope so too. It sounded, from my mw, like she might be... Although the way my mw was fixated on whether or not I'm tired/fatigued (she has hypoT as well) but then poo-pooed it off when I said "a little" by saying "Well you're pregnant..", I am a little concerned. However! She said the doctor (she's my new doctor) said that I should call if I'm having symptoms, so...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#247 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doctor's appointment is tomorrow regarding thyroid stuff. Maybe if I can get that increased a bit, I won't be dragging my butt after sleeping for 10 hours and will be able to get more done (because I'll remember what I'm doing!). Didn't get my bathroom cleaned today because by the time I got to the hallway from the kitchen (where I keep my household binder- it's a distance of about 10 feet), I forgot why I was in the hallway. Had to go around the store a couple of times to get everything on my grocery list because I'd forget what I was looking for. Focus is "off". I totally zone out in the middle of conversations, sometimes having difficulty relating one word to the next. Yadda yadda. It's like all the symptoms of brain fog, minus the fog (I hope that makes sense to someone).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#248 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 AM
 
NewDirections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
My doctor's appointment is tomorrow regarding thyroid stuff. Maybe if I can get that increased a bit, I won't be dragging my butt after sleeping for 10 hours and will be able to get more done (because I'll remember what I'm doing!). Didn't get my bathroom cleaned today because by the time I got to the hallway from the kitchen (where I keep my household binder- it's a distance of about 10 feet), I forgot why I was in the hallway. Had to go around the store a couple of times to get everything on my grocery list because I'd forget what I was looking for. Focus is "off". I totally zone out in the middle of conversations, sometimes having difficulty relating one word to the next. Yadda yadda. It's like all the symptoms of brain fog, minus the fog (I hope that makes sense to someone).
I have difficulty with conversations too. It seems my brain fog acts up then and I find myself saying "I can't remember what I was going to say " I'm hoping my fog gets better as I keep taking meds. I've been a high school teacher for several years and this year I've just had the most difficult time learning my students names, much more so than previous years.

I'm hoping your doctor listens to your concerns and increases your meds. Please update when you can.

I'm trying to get an increase in my meds too. I don't think my dr will increase it so I'm considering using an online doctor. Has anyone else done that?

jog.gifkid.gif

NewDirections is offline  
#249 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatianaTiger View Post
I'm hoping your doctor listens to your concerns and increases your meds. Please update when you can.

I'm trying to get an increase in my meds too. I don't think my dr will increase it so I'm considering using an online doctor. Has anyone else done that?
She did increase my meds. : She upped me by 1/4 grain (which is all I asked for). She said she's concerned about raising it too high because the baby may have problems learning to make it's own thyroxine after it's born... Has anyone heard of this?

I've never used an online doctor, TT. Sorry.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#250 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out this article.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#251 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
 
NewDirections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
She did increase my meds. : She upped me by 1/4 grain (which is all I asked for). She said she's concerned about raising it too high because the baby may have problems learning to make it's own thyroxine after it's born... Has anyone heard of this?

I've never used an online doctor, TT. Sorry.
I'm glad you got an increase

That article you posted is really interesting. All of my molars had amalgam fillings and I had them replaced about 5 years ago. That makes sense that it could be a cause of hypo. I haven't had my thyroid antibodies tested, but I was planning on getting some tests done at an independent lab done and I think I'll add those on.

jog.gifkid.gif

NewDirections is offline  
#252 of 862 Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
 
coolgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In past my blood work showed TSh of 4.0 so according to my GP I am hypo so took levo and se for a while Tsh dropped to 2.76. Currently I am taking 50 mcg se daily.
What do all think about iodine patch test? I was planning to give it a try but not sure if I should add iodine to my regimen based on this result.
coolgirl is offline  
#253 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 04:05 AM
 
LessTraveledBy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the patch test the one where you rub iodine on your body and then wait to see how long it takes to disappear?

I was just tested low on iodine by Enterolabs (even though I use iodized salt and eat tons of milk products and eggs!). I also tried putting iodine on my leg yesterday and it did disappear quite fast. It is very interesting stuff...

I will see a specialist in May and thought I might be given Armour. However, now instead I wonder if getting my iodine levels up might be the only things that's needed...?

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
LessTraveledBy is offline  
#254 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
Is the patch test the one where you rub iodine on your body and then wait to see how long it takes to disappear?
Yes, that's the one. I believe it should still be visible 24 hours later...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#255 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 PM
 
LessTraveledBy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting about the patch test. Mine is gone within less than 10 hrs. (And this is a dot the size of the palm of my hand.)

Does anyone know if the thyroid will fix itself once it finally gets anough iodine or is it more likely that I will need meds for my thyroid?

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
LessTraveledBy is offline  
#256 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of the women on this thread have managed to avoid going on the thyroid meds by increasing nutrition. One resource to help you on your way is ithyroid.com, but I'm sure TanyaLopez will know of more.
The questions you have to ask are WHY are you depleted of iodine (and other nutrients), WHAT is the cause of this dis-ease in your body and HOW can you correct it? For some of us, the answers to some of those questions are: our detox pathways are blocked due to a high mercury load and we need to increase our nutrition (sometimes to seemingly insane levels).
Of course, the caveat is that you should not do any of this without the guidance of a qualified HCP.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#257 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
 
coolgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The iodine patch that I had applied on tummy disappered within 5 hrs. It was completely gone. Next day applied same size patch on the inner side of the thigh but it took 15 hrs to disappear. I am confused from these results but anyways went ahead and tried one 150mcg of iodine (potassium iodine) drop in a 1/2 cup of water and felt very sleepy after 30 minutes, finally ended up taking a nap although there were tons of things that needed to be done. My question is iodine making me sleepy a good thing or bad? should I continue or stop iodine.
coolgirl is offline  
#258 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl View Post
The iodine patch that I had applied on tummy disappered within 5 hrs. It was completely gone. Next day applied same size patch on the inner side of the thigh but it took 15 hrs to disappear. I am confused from these results but anyways went ahead and tried one 150mcg of iodine (potassium iodine) drop in a 1/2 cup of water and felt very sleepy after 30 minutes, finally ended up taking a nap although there were tons of things that needed to be done. My question is iodine making me sleepy a good thing or bad? should I continue or stop iodine.
I've read to use the abdomen (different skin and/or fat thickness? or different level of circulation? not sure), although a HCP I visited once swabbed it on the inside of my forearm. It disappeared quickly both ways, I didn't compare them to each other though.

Supplemental iodine can mobilize bromine (bromide? not sure of the form, or how/when they're transformed from one to the other), there's a page I was recommended on salt flushes to get rid of bromide...

http://drshevin.com/patient_educatio...giene/salt.php

A related link talked about using 1/2 tsp instead of 1/4 tsp. Panserbjorne had posts on this that talked about it more.

So maybe that's what's going on? 150mcg is a pretty small amount of iodine, I probably wouldn't jump to 5 or 10 mg just yet.

FWIW, I had a hard time doing the salt flush (I didn't get that copious-urination thing) because of my adrenals, I've gotten low (quite low, it seems) in sodium, and I think drinking extra salt is just helping re-hydrate myself, not actually doing the flush. Hopefully everyone else is better at taking care of themselves. I figure I need the extra salt, so I've tried to just take more every day. YMMV (hopefully this isn't everyone else's experience!)

Anumaria--my thyroid is not broken, it was simply in need of more nutrients in order to manufacture thyroid hormone. Before I had a HCP (expecting hand-slap from Jacqueline ) I took high (very high) doses of some vitamins and minerals and in about 2 weeks felt significantly, significantly better. But, and this is huge, I had no idea _why_ my nutrients were so depleted, I just assumed my diet sucked. And it did, I'll be honest, but that wasn't enough reason for me to become hypothyroid. So I really think investigative work is important, but I also personally think that starting to correct stuff now is okay. I know I could barely think my way out of a paper bag back then, I was so fuzzy-brained, and getting functional was important.

To read more on nutrients and the thyroid, check out ithyroid.com. There is a section on things that can cause this stuff, but it's not emphasized heavily, but it's a vital step in this process. There are also at least one or two people in the old Thyroid Thread that used supps (check out a place like Whole Foods, they've got thyroid supps, and it's a trimmed down list from Jon's on ithyroid.com, he has a very, very long list, but I think a good multivit and some targeted supps and working on diet is a reasonable, and less expensive, way to go). Anyone looking at diet, consider the pros and cons of no-gluten.

An alternative-type HCP could help, if they believe that hypothyroidism is a nutritional disease for the most part rather than a permanent, unchangeable health condition. I have a great HCP, she's in Iowa--I only met her after I'd started figuring out some of this, but I feel she's great at putting together pieces, so your health history all makes sense.
tanyalynn is offline  
#259 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Anumaria--my thyroid is not broken, it was simply in need of more nutrients in order to manufacture thyroid hormone. Before I had a HCP (expecting hand-slap from Jacqueline ) I took high (very high) doses of some vitamins and minerals and in about 2 weeks felt significantly, significantly better. But, and this is huge, I had no idea _why_ my nutrients were so depleted, I just assumed my diet sucked. And it did, I'll be honest, but that wasn't enough reason for me to become hypothyroid. So I really think investigative work is important, but I also personally think that starting to correct stuff now is okay. I know I could barely think my way out of a paper bag back then, I was so fuzzy-brained, and getting functional was important.

To read more on nutrients and the thyroid, check out ithyroid.com. There is a section on things that can cause this stuff, but it's not emphasized heavily, but it's a vital step in this process. There are also at least one or two people in the old Thyroid Thread that used supps (check out a place like Whole Foods, they've got thyroid supps, and it's a trimmed down list from Jon's on ithyroid.com, he has a very, very long list, but I think a good multivit and some targeted supps and working on diet is a reasonable, and less expensive, way to go). Anyone looking at diet, consider the pros and cons of no-gluten.

An alternative-type HCP could help, if they believe that hypothyroidism is a nutritional disease for the most part rather than a permanent, unchangeable health condition. I have a great HCP, she's in Iowa--I only met her after I'd started figuring out some of this, but I feel she's great at putting together pieces, so your health history all makes sense.
I remembered that you did it before you had a HCP. I'm just too much of a chicken to do anything without consulting my ND. Usually what I plan to do is just fine by him, but I always prefer to have the reassurance because I sometimes don't have the whole picture. For example, kelp- which I intended to start using for iodine supplementation. I had no idea that it was often contaminated with arsenic- and the brand which I bought in particular was.
Regarding the LONG list on ithyroid.com, I'm slowly learning the reasons behind all of the supplements he recommends. Not that I can explain any of them to anyone, but... (and that's not to say that I'm on all of them either... yet. I imagine at some point I may very well be because *my* thyroid, at this point in time, is sort of broken.)
I keep seeing the gluten-free recommendation everywhere (and hearing it from my ND but I still haven't really come across the whys of it. Which annoys me.
I'm so glad my ND has the attitude you described in your last sentence. Most MDs don't/won't, so I completely agree that seeking an *alternative* HCP in guiding you with this is absolutely essential.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#260 of 862 Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I remembered that you did it before you had a HCP. I'm just too much of a chicken to do anything without consulting my ND. Usually what I plan to do is just fine by him, but I always prefer to have the reassurance because I sometimes don't have the whole picture. For example, kelp- which I intended to start using for iodine supplementation. I had no idea that it was often contaminated with arsenic- and the brand which I bought in particular was.
Regarding the LONG list on ithyroid.com, I'm slowly learning the reasons behind all of the supplements he recommends. Not that I can explain any of them to anyone, but... (and that's not to say that I'm on all of them either... yet. I imagine at some point I may very well be because *my* thyroid, at this point in time, is sort of broken.)
I keep seeing the gluten-free recommendation everywhere (and hearing it from my ND but I still haven't really come across the whys of it. Which annoys me.
I'm so glad my ND has the attitude you described in your last sentence. Most MDs don't/won't, so I completely agree that seeking an *alternative* HCP in guiding you with this is absolutely essential.
And fundamentally I was too desperate to NOT go out on my own and try this. I didn't have any alternative HCP at the time, and I was bruised at being blown off by my former doctor, and not blown off but not helped by my new office (they referred me to an endo, which was, well, not helpful but when I _finally_ got my synthroid prescription I felt very vindicated, and then I didn't fill it, but wow, it felt good!).

But seriously, I didn't feel like I had any choices, I just felt so bad and I needed to feel better.

I think the gluten thing is due to lectins and zonulin and people like me and my son with the opioid issue (gluteomorphin? I think that's it), and just in general, it seems problematic. I can't give particulars for all those things (I just included them for google-ability), but at this point, given how I see that we react, I don't need to know. But you, at this point, should just eat. Eat and try to rest and relax and take care of the little ones.

I'm so glad you have a helpful, supportive ND. My last pregnancy was horrible, I felt so alone (except for my wonderful midwife, but there was only so much she could do).
tanyalynn is offline  
#261 of 862 Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so my Armour got increased the other day. The last couple of days when I wake up to pee (baby bladder syndrome), I have a really hard time getting back to sleep (mind feels really awake, thoughts are sort of racing). I'm wondering if it's because my Adrenal support is too low (I was supposed to be taking 4 pills a day of it, but I'm only taking 1 because more than that made me feel strange- a little sick and light headed or something).
Does anyone have experience with this?
I see my ND on the 22nd, but was thinking maybe I should call on Monday to see if I can get in sooner.

ETA: Cross posted in the Adrenal Fatigue thread.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#262 of 862 Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd try upping the adrenal stuff just a bit. Now that you've got more appropriate thyroid support, it makes sense that the adrenal stuff may need to be tweaked. But just try a little more, you're a lot under your old dose, right? Maybe just one more pill?
tanyalynn is offline  
#263 of 862 Old 04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'd try upping the adrenal stuff just a bit. Now that you've got more appropriate thyroid support, it makes sense that the adrenal stuff may need to be tweaked. But just try a little more, you're a lot under your old dose, right? Maybe just one more pill?
That's actually exactly what I was thinking... Maybe adding in one more in the evening rather than the morning.
I need to refill my zinc supplements anyway, so maybe I'll just phone with that quick question on Monday. Thankfully, my ND doesn't mind quick impromptu questions over the phone (so long as it's not habitual ).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#264 of 862 Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could try lunch, too, see if that helps shift your daily rhythm back to a better place. Just play around with it, never mind if it makes you feel horrible, and report back on all the possible combinations! 1 extra in the AM, 1 extra at lunch, 1 extra in the AM AND 1 extra at lunch... My husband says I'm so helpful.
tanyalynn is offline  
#265 of 862 Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM
 
NewDirections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on about 2.5 grains of Armour and feeling good I haven't been on meds for very long so I'm not sure if this is my ideal dose or not. I'm working on losing weight and I'm excited to see how my meds impacts that?

How is everyone doing?
If you're on thyroid meds, what are you on and how much to you take? TIA

jog.gifkid.gif

NewDirections is offline  
#266 of 862 Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Jimibell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted here a few months ago. I have an update, maybe it will be of interest to others.

Jan 5 routine bloodwork done (no symptoms): TSH 147
Jan 22 re-test out of disbelief (still no symptoms): TSH 84

Get results: Freak out. Much anxiety, disbelief and anger
(around that time I start to have numbness and tingling in feet and hands and sometimes limbs "fall asleep" in the night and sensation wakes me up)

Feb 2 re-test : TSH 41, find out I have Hashimoto's (antibody test)

Feb 14 go on Armour, 30 mg per day (at this point numbness and tingling is quite bothersome at night)

Within 2 days numbness and tingling are reduced greatly, although I still felt anxious the reduction in symptoms makes me feel better emotionally.

April 3 re-test: TSH 7
symptoms completely gone.

Throughout this whole time, in fact since October 08, I have been eating an extremely improved diet from previously. A so-called "traditional foods" diet.

I continue to take Armour.
I have stopped eating gluten to see if that will have an effect.
Next month I will begin my exclusive raw milk diet for 4 weeks. I am hoping this will clean my gut and help with my immune system trouble.
I have a blog about my trials to see if diet can help treat my illness.
Jimibell is offline  
#267 of 862 Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
 
tanyalynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TX, but anticipating one more move
Posts: 11,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jimibell, if you search back a bit in this thread, there's a link to a study discussing selenium and thyroid antibodies (supping with selenium reduced antibody levels). An easy way to get selenium with food is brazil nuts, each one has about 100mcg of selenium, which is quite a bit. Long-term 2/day is reasonable, not much more than that except for shorter periods if you wanted to play around with it.

And I'm glad you're on the way to feeling better!
tanyalynn is offline  
#268 of 862 Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
 
Jimibell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Jimibell, if you search back a bit in this thread, there's a link to a study discussing selenium and thyroid antibodies (supping with selenium reduced antibody levels). An easy way to get selenium with food is brazil nuts, each one has about 100mcg of selenium, which is quite a bit. Long-term 2/day is reasonable, not much more than that except for shorter periods if you wanted to play around with it.

And I'm glad you're on the way to feeling better!
oh yes, my doc recommended that because my selenium and potassium were a little low....
Jimibell is offline  
#269 of 862 Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
 
laohaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ETA:
Um, I meant to post to the Adrenal Fatigue thread. Oops
I almost deleted the below, but figured maybe somebody might want to see/do this anyway, so I'll keep this here after all.

===========


I think it can be useful to track the ups and downs of your progress as you work on healing yourself. It can be motivating to see your improvements, but also can help you pinpoint some trouble areas.

I devised a very simple sheet that I fit 8 to a page (4 on the front side and 4 on the back side). Of course it could just be digital but I like having a notebook to refer to). For me, here are the items I record on my sheet:
  • Date
  • Sleep ---- I note whether I had good sleep the previous night, or insomnia or other issues
  • Exercies ---- what I did and how much/how long
  • Breakfast ---- what I ate
  • Lunch
  • Snack
  • Dinner
  • Meds/Supp ---- what supplements and/or medication I took
  • Productivity ---- I note if I was able to be productive around the house, and what I did - for example a couple loads of laundry, or pickup of this room or that - or nothing at all
  • Work ---- similar to above, I note how well - or not - I was able to concentrate on my job and get things done
  • Notes ---- anything unusual would be noted here - travel, guests, emotional upsets, exciting news, unusually cranky toddler, etc.
  • Energy Score ---- here I assign a number - scoring sheet below - that sums up how I felt for the day overall - this part is the easiest part to look back on and say, oh wow, I have been rating myself a 4 or a 5 lately but two months ago I was only a 3 most of the time

Energy Score Key

10Able to expend a lot of energy without difficulty AND feel terrific!!

9Able to expend a lot of energy without difficulty.

8Able to expend some energy without difficulty.

7Able to keep up well if taking it easy.

6Functional (barely) but somewhat tired.

5Functional (barely) but really tired.

4Minimally productive with great effort.

3Unable to concentrate or be productive.

2Major emotional upset.

1Nonfunctional, unable to converse, hibernating.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

laohaire is offline  
#270 of 862 Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Jimibell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone familiar with this sort of product?

"Raw Thyroid
60 Capsules
Raw Thyroid Glandular Concentrate with Synergistic Complex
Raw tissue concentrates imported from New Zealand are made from toxin-free lyophilized glands from animals grazed on rangeland free of pesticides, growth hormones, antiobiotics or chemical additives.
This natural product is made without sugar, starch, preservatives, artificial colors or flavorings and contains no corn, wheat, yeast, soy or milk derivatives.
Suggested use for adults
As a dietary supplement, take one capsule daily, following a meal."

I was thinking that once my TSH gets to normal I would try this instead of the armour. Any feedback would be great!
Jimibell is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off