tell me about impetigo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our younger foster son had this weird boil like thing on his leg when he arrived. It's in a bit of a werid spot, and I didn't notice it until day two, at which point, I slathered it in tea tree/calendula salve, and put a bandaid on it. The bandaid gets removed everynight before getting in the tub, I wash the thing, and then I put a fresh bandaid on it. I've been using honey over the past few days instead of salve. It isn't getting any better. In fact, I'd say it's worse. It looks really nasty, actually. Red and weepy, dry around the edges, and I think if I wasn't keeping it covered, it would have a patchy scab over it (that's how it was when I first found it). It's been two weeks now...
I googled and looked up impetigo in my medical dictionary, and it really does *look* like that's what it is. But, it doesn't itch him, or hurt, and though the lesion itself is getting bigger, he doesn't have any matching spots anywhere else. His brother has two weird spots on the back of his neck, but it doesn't look like the same thing to me.
What are the symptoms of impetigo? Are there any other markers?
The boys both go to daycare during the day, and both have a chronic cough/drippy nose, but the littlest seems to be much more affected. I'm giving echinacea and elderberry, but again, it doesn't feel like it's very effective. No idea if this is related, or if it's just that they're a bit run down, so skin is taking longer to heal? I'm going to be honest and say that the impetigo idea scares me just a bit because of the contagion issues.
Help?

For greater things are yet to come...

#2 of 2 Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely have it checked out by a medical professional and nippd in the bud! Impetigo or any staph is really contagious and a bear to get rid of if you let it go.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page