Period starting/stopping/starting question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Before baby I bled for about 5-6 days, heavy then getting lighter and lighter. Since I got my period back after baby, I've been bleeding very lightly for 2 days. Then it stops completely. I still have cramps. The following day, I get brown blood. Then, it's done. It's weird, to me. Every month it's similar with a little variation (this cycle is shorter).

This past Saturday I started my period and bled through Sunday. Monday, nothing. Tuesday (today) nothing. But I have cramps like there's going to be a red river.

Is any of this normal? (I'm 26 years). I'm starting to think something might be wrong...but I'm too freaked out to go to that doctor :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the last year I've been getting the off/on period (I call it in ellipsis, but most people don't get my literary humor -- you know ". . ."). I used to be between 44-56 day cycles, now it's exactly 28 days, on 3 days, off 3 days, on 2 days, off 2 days, on 1 day. It's BIZARRE. I asked the doctor. He said it's perfectly normal. If it's perfectly normal then how come no one else ever complains about it. On the upside though, I have no cramps, no PMS, no anything to warn me. I'd love to hear if anyone else has this...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Did you have a c-section? I'm sure that's what made me get bad cramps because I never had them until after baby #2, who was c/s. Baby #3 was also c/s but he's 4 now and that horrible cramping is getting much less.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I think hyperthyroid can cause light periods.
#4 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Kj, thanks...it's good to hear that your doctor says its normal. Guess it's okay then.

Lindberg, yes I had a CS (14 months PP). I've had my thyroid checked twice in the last 6 months (as well as hormone check and something else). All blood work comes back perfect. I wasn't feeling like myself. Felt *something* was wrong...but blood work says I'm fine. Been feeling better/more energy lately---but the period thing is still weird.

In my first trimester, I had period-like cramps--like running to the bathroom with a tampon in hand kind of cramps. Never any blood. (I've heard many women experience that early pregnancy). Anyway...that's how I feel right now. There is nothing but (TMI warning) clear/white mucous, no pink or blood. FTR--NO chance of pregnancy at this point

I dunno. It's just weird and kind of annoying. I guess it's a little common though. Thanks for the responses.
#5 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Mine are like this. I get a heavy cycle for 2 days. Third is non-existent. Then it comes at the end of 4th and a tiny bit on the 5th. My Doc. also says it's normal.

One thing I do notice, though, is regular visits to the chiropractor changes this. When I see my chiro regularly (now on management, I go about 1x/2months), I don't get cramps, and the bleeding is shorter and without breaks.
#6 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
In my first trimester, I had period-like cramps--like running to the bathroom with a tampon in hand kind of cramps. Never any blood. (I've heard many women experience that early pregnancy). Anyway...that's how I feel right now. There is nothing but (TMI warning) clear/white mucous, no pink or blood. FTR--NO chance of pregnancy at this point
Are you sure you aren't getting ovulation cramping?
#7 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mallori, if I am..I never had this before baby. The only time I used to have cramps before baby was the 1st day of bleeding.
#8 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wait. This LINK says this about ovulation cramping

Quote:
Mittelschmerz is the official name for pain with ovulation. It’s usually a sharp or cramping pain on one side of the lower abdomen, occurring about two weeks before a period starts.
That is not what I'm getting. It's an all over cramp feeling--just like period cramps. And this is not 2 weeks before my period--it's 1,2,3 days after bleeding for 1 1/2 days.

#9 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Wow - I thought I was the only one with funky periods that start and stop. It's been happening to me for at least 12-13 years now (originally started when I started BCP pills but I stopped those 7-8 years ago.) I would have moderate/heavy flow on the first two days, then absolutely nothing on the 3rd day - not even spotting - then I'd get bright red blood on the 4th day that turns to brown spotting for the remaining days. So my total period from start to finish lasts 7-8 days. The second part has gotten worse since I stopped BF my second 10 months ago. I now have 2-3 days of normal flow and then it stops, and then usually on day 5 I have this gush of bright red blood (and usually a clot) and then it turns to spotting. It's weird - after the gush clears out I'm just left with the light spotting until it ends. It's like the flow is stopped up somewhere and is accumulating and then it all comes out. I've never gotten anything but perplexed looks from doctors so I started seeing an acupuncturist a couple months ago (I also have right sided pain near the ovary that has never been diagnosed - could be endo I guess). The acupuncturist explains that my body just doesn't have enough strength to push everything out at once and that's why I'm getting the break in between so she is working to build me up (we are pretty sure my adrenals are majorly stressed too.) I haven't seen any changes yet but I'm still hopeful. She said that they have an entire section devoted to flooding and spotting and she acts like she knows what is going on so I'm sticking with it - it's better than the "we don't know why that is happening" answer I get from allopathic drs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page