Bee sting and flu-like symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted this in "allergies" but no one has responded and I'm getting concerned. The swelling is slowly getting worse (covering the entire right half of my face and spreading to the left) and I still have horrible joint pain and a headache.

What happened:

I got stung by a bee yesterday right on my head. It HURT! It was towards the front and on the right hand side.

A few hours later I had a visible bump on my forehead and it was really sore. I kept ice on it until I fell asleep.

I woke up in the middle of the night and felt like I had the flu. Body aches, horrible headache, nausea (but no vomiting), etc.

This morning, I still feel flu-y and my eye is swollen.

Soooo... I looked it up online and apparently "flu-like" symptoms can be a systematic (and not common) reaction to bee stings.

Since I have never reacted like this before, I am concerned that I may be developing a more severe allergy to bees. (For the record, I have been stung on the head before and did not react like this at all)

Question: Could I be developing a more severe allergy?
Is this kind of reaction something that needs treatment - I read some things that talked about kidney involvement and other internal organ damage ?
Should I consider getting an epi-pen?
Has this ever happened to any of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like you are having a bit of a reaction. If you are comfortable with it, you could try taking a dose of Benadryl. If it helps relieve your symptoms, then it would point you in the direction of an allergic reaction.

Allergies can develop and remiss at any age. When I was a teen I would react badly to bee stings(benadryl IV needed) but I was stung a couple of times recently and all I got was a little bump.

Good luck to you!
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
Old 08-13-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
It sounds like you are having a bit of a reaction. If you are comfortable with it, you could try taking a dose of Benadryl. If it helps relieve your symptoms, then it would point you in the direction of an allergic reaction.
I've been maxing out on benaryl and I think it is "helping" but I'm still getting worse. My eye is swollen enough to effect my vision and I feel like crap. I am so achy. I had no idea that a bee sting could be like this

From what I've been reading, a systemic reaction can last 10 or more days, has anyone had that? :
Old 08-13-2008, 11:04 PM

My partner just went through something like this. We think he was stung by a hornet on his foot. Initially it was fine (it hurt, but no crazy swelling or anything). 24 hours later his foot started to swell. 48 hours later it was moving up his ankle and he was having a hard time putting weight on his foot.

Benadryl wasn't helping (that we could tell) so he went in to see his dr. and they gave him a steroid shot and a z pack of steroid pills. He actually waited a day after the shot to see if he really needed to take the pills (he spent a year on steroids for his lupus and really didn't like the side effects). A day after the shot, the swelling had gone down considerably so he didn't end up taking the pills. His foot is pretty much back to normal now, just tender.

His dr. didn't mention anything about his reactions getting worse, but I would assume if he got stung again, he would have at least the same level of reaction.

I would go see a dr. and talk to them. It sounds like you may need something more than benedryl at this point.

~Julia
Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM

You can develop allergies over time. My DD did. She always swelled a bit more from mosquitoes and bees but the bee and wasp reactions got progressively worse.
We tried apis and other things and she just kept reacting very strongly to stings...feverish symptoms, achiness, entire forearm swelling, blistering, it looked like she had 3rd degree burns!
We reluctanly resorted to medical support.
So far she has not needed her EpiPen but we do give benadryl immediately following a sting. We found that waiting to see what happens with the sting and then giving the benadryl didn't help. It's got to be right after the sting.

User Tag List