If you had oral thrush and used nystatin, how long did it take to work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been on Advair for asthma for over 10 years and this is the first time I have gotten thrush from it. A whole mouthfull Sore gums and cheeks, even my lips affected. Even more reason for me to get off the crap. Makes me mad the allergist I saw wouldn't give me another Rx to try that was non-steroidal, said I was on the lowest dose of Advair as it was : now looks like I'll have to make yet another appt. to try another Rx. Seeing a naturpath also to try and get asthma/allergies under control.

I started the nystatin rinse on Thurs night, 3 times a day since then so it's been 3.5 days of treatment. At first I had tried a GSE rinse as directed from Dr. Jay Gordon's website but oooooh it stung so bad and my mouth hurt the rest of the night I could barely talk or smile.

My gums are better, and inside cheeks I think are getting better however I still see some red spots right inside my lip on the corners. My lips are a little bit red on the outside, and really dried out overnight. I am not putting anything on them in fear of 'holding in' the fungus.

If you had to take nystatin, how long did it take to work for you? A few days, a week? It's been hard to floss and brush my teeth, and foods taste bland. I took probiotics once but kept forgetting after that.

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 AM

I'm dealing with this right now as well. I took it for a week and still have some thrush on my tongue.

I'm thinking I'm going to stop taking the advair for a while. (use extra albuteral as needed) and try gargling with apple cider vinegar in water. I've had alot of trouble taking the mystatin -- it makes me gag.

FWIW, my prescription said to take for 2weeks.
#3 of 4 Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM

My daughter has gotten thrush from an antibiotic for an ear infection, and she was an infant, and the Nystatin only took 24 hours to see improvement. I would discontinue the Advair, or, it would seem that the thrush can't resolve if the reason it developed in the first place isn't discontinued. Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Get yourself on a good probiotic a couple times a day (we use natren's healthy trinity, very good stuff) and DON'T FORGET TO TAKE IT!! I don't mean to yell ... but, seriously, it *will* help!

I would also buy it in powder form too and mix w/h2o and swish in the mouth, then swallow.

FWIW, Dd1 and I went back and forth w/thrush while bf. Went through 2 rounds of (what I'm pretty sure was) nystatin w/no relief. Then turned to probiotics and w.o.w.... cleared up in a few days. Maybe it will work for you, too.

gl
hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page