Numbness in Arm and Leg. ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing numbness in my hand and foot on my right side. It started with a tingling in my fingers but today my entire lower arm feels tingly and numb. Also my calf and foot. My dr called a few weeks ago and told me I have low B12 and Ive been taking oral supplements for two weeks now. My B12 was at 653 and they said the norm is anything over 911. I just had a baby in April and since then it seems like everything is breaking down. Ive had heart palpitations (stress), excema break out on my face (never had that before!), now this!
#2 of 7 Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 PM

I had numbness in my calf and foot a few weeks ago. My chiropractor did some adjustments and I'm almost back to normal. Diagnosis: pinched nerve. Do you see a chiropractor regularly?
#3 of 7 Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 AM

653 is in the normal range for B12, normal is 300-800 in most labs. however if the lab uses some other range it could be that you do not digest B12 & taking an oral supplement will NOT help. when I first started my B12 shots my level was 180, it took 7months to notice a difference.
#4 of 7 Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM

If it were me, I'd test thyroid and adrenals.
It's rather common for thyroid disruptions to occur postpartum, and adrenal problems often accompany thyroid imbalances. Both could cause eczema and heart palps. Thyroid imbalances lead to absorption problems and it is very common to see vitamin and mineral deficiencies - especially b12, magnesium, vit D, and iron.

I encourage you to get a full thyroid panel - not just tsh - including antibodies test to rule out Hashimoto's.
You can read more here:
http://www.naturalfamilyinfo.com/Hypothyroid.html

And there are some self tests you can do for adrenals:
http://www.naturalfamilyinfo.com/adrenal.html
but ultimately the 24 hour saliva test is the best I think.

IMO a healthy B-12 level is over 1000, so I'd ignore the range.

I'd encourage you to make sure you're getting adequate magnesium as well, especially since you're having heart palps.

Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 PM

i would also second a chiro!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#6 of 7 Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenom View Post
Hi everyone, I have been experiencing numbness in my hand and foot on my right side. It started with a tingling in my fingers but today my entire lower arm feels tingly and numb. Also my calf and foot. My dr called a few weeks ago and told me I have low B12 and Ive been taking oral supplements for two weeks now. My B12 was at 653 and they said the norm is anything over 911. I just had a baby in April and since then it seems like everything is breaking down. Ive had heart palpitations (stress), excema break out on my face (never had that before!), now this!
First heart palps - magnesium or copper or an imbalance of both.

The numbness and tingling is called peripherial neuropothy (spelling may be off there). It can certainly be from deficiencies or a pinched nerve in the spine.

PN is also a symptom of progressive untreated Celiac Disease.

It can also be part of the deficiency problems leading to thyroid and adrenal problems.

I read a super nutritional analysis on ithyroid the other day.
#7 of 7 Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM

What country are you in? The range for normal with B12 varies depending on country and the US standards are set way to low for many people's needs. I had severe deficiency symptoms even though my blood reading was 330. I found a wealth of information here: http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page