What's in the TB Shot/Test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've been asked to get a TB shot in order to have DD participate in a kids program.

Are the ingredients in the TB shot as bad as the ingredients in vaccines?

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
0.1 ml of purified protein derivative (taken from dead tuberculosis bacteria) containing 5 tuberculin units - plus Phenol and polysorbate 80 is injected subcutaneously, then the area is checked for any reaction 48-72 hours later.

http://lungdiseases.about.com/od/tub...oux_test_2.htm

Can you claim an exemption?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#3 of 7 Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately in my state (HI) you can't claim an exemption for the TB test. It's mandatory for both public and private schools. Ugh.

Thanks for the information!

#4 of 7 Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM

That sucks.

This is from 2/2006 - I'm not sure whatever became of it, but you night want to use it as a starting point to learn more and become an activist.

Quote:
According to internationally known public health authority, Dr. Leonard G. Horowitz, who lives with his family in Pahoa, public health officials have restricted civil rights, violated religious freedoms, and neglected standards of care evidencing medical malpractic. To remedy these inadequacies, Sen. Kokubun is working to rewrite state laws. His resolution before the Senate defends against these breaches by returning religous freedom and proper informed consent to the people.
Quote:
Dr. Jesse Wing, the program's director, had even violated recommendations issued by her federal employer, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). She falsely alleged an urgency in Hawaii's Tb case rate, and unethically mandated Tb skin testing for school children at low risk for the disease, according to the legal complaint.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#5 of 7 Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM

Are you opposed to the PPD because of what's in it or are you opposed to TB testing in general?

The Quantiferon tb test uses a blood sample-nothing is injected into the body. It is considered an alternative test to the PPD. This should solve your problems unless you are against all testing.
#6 of 7 Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm cautious of vaccines in general and of anything that's injected into a rapidly growing body. I haven't heard of the Quantiferon test but I'll ask. Seems most people here have the other test. The one where they inject you then you return two days later to have the site checked for a reaction.

Thanks, Spero. I'll look into it as well.

#7 of 7 Old 08-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
The one where they inject you then you return two days later to have the site checked for a reaction.
For reference - that's a Mantoux skin test. And yes, it's the most popular one - I'm betting bet it's cheaper than a blood test. No laboratory testing needed - it's just a "shoot, wait, and compare".

When my oldest had the Mantoux test as a toddler, I was given a card with different site reactions embossed on it - each one had a number. Back then they relied on parents to call in the results 48 hours after the test.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page