Forum Jump: 

#301 of 567 Old 01-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Hi there,
Here is the recipe. If you have any questions just ask. Make sure to follow dilution percentages closely.

This is an essential oil blend that is excellent at healing vagintosis, yeast infections etc. This is for adults only. Take one drop internally daily and dilute to a concentration of 3% essential oils in a carrier oil to soak a tampon in and insert overnight. Also rub the diluted form on your belly and massage. Make sure the E.O.'s are distilled from organic herb matter.
Tea Tree 2 parts
Cinnamon LEAF (not BARK) 1 part
Oregano 2 parts
Peppermint 1 part

This following recipe is for active thrush in babes and kids. Take one drop and swish into the babes mouth and on the nursing Mom's nipples.

In this recipe I am asking you to take drops of oils. A drop of an essential oil comes from a graduate dropper. Turn the bottle upside down and let the drop fall on its own with no help from you (ie tapping the bottle)

Blend into a 12 ml bottle. The total drops into the bottle will be 22 drops which constitutes just under 1 ml.

Again source essentail oils distilled from organic plant matter for this.

Niaoulli 3 drops
Lavender 3 drops
Lemongrass 6 drops
Marjoram 3 drops
Pepperming 3 drops
Rosemary 3 drops
Cinnamon Leaf 2 drops

Top the bottle up with a carrier oil such as grapeseed or jojoba.

HTH, good luck.
This is for MountainMon

HTH Please ask if you have any questions.
#302 of 567 Old 01-08-2005, 11:06 PM

Thank you mountainmom!
#303 of 567 Old 01-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Just bumping this wonderful thread up!
#304 of 567 Old 01-10-2005, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

...what is the NT thread?

While I'm here I don't think I put this link in yet. Good science:

http://www.speedyvet.com/speedyvet/library.asp?page=19

"We've got to get ourselves back to the Garden"

CSNY

Ray
#305 of 567 Old 01-10-2005, 01:47 PM

It's where the action is:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0&page=1&pp=20

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#306 of 567 Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM

I have a 3 month old on jarro baby, 1/8 of a teaspoon per day. We've been doing this for about a month. He's been on low dose antibiotics for about 3 weeks and will be for quite a while.

Can I increase the dose? His poops are bf poops, but stink. Not sweet smelling like they were in the beginning. I know some of you mention watching for a bowel change to dtermine how much to give and how much is too much.

My second question is about the jarro baby powder. Is it just me or does this stuff just NOT dissolve? I put 1/8 tsp in about a tsp of breastmilk and their are always chunks on the bottom. I'm assuming these are the FOS? Or do I just not wait long enough?

Thanks!
Golden
#307 of 567 Old 01-11-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

....can you give a timeline as to when the poops smelled sweet, when they started to stink in relation to whatever it was that is needing a long period of low dose antibiotics (ie, did the poop smell change with the illness?) and the start of the antibiotic regime? I can't really tell what is causing what on the basis of your telling.

The easiest way to get the Jarro into an infant (I started this on day 3 of my son's life) is putting a little powder on a moistened fingertip and gently pressing it into his mouth when he's nursing.

I'm ready to advise a little Jarro with each feeding on the basis of what I would consider to be radically extreme antibiotic use in one so young (I'm not saying it isn't necessary, I simply don't know) but filling in the above details would help alot.

Good luck and welcome,

Ray
#308 of 567 Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

...the action is pretty thick over here in Health and Healing right now.

I think I'll stick it out over here and see if I can help put out some fires.

Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!

Ray

PS I hope you're doing alright up there in the CA mountains. The videos coming through the press are pretty striking.
#309 of 567 Old 01-11-2005, 09:30 PM

Hi Ray,
My ds has been on low dose amoxil for some suspected kidney/ureter obstruction. He's on a very low dose prophalytically.

When I say sweet smelling, I mean that normal bf poop smell that he had for the first two months of life. I say sweet because what it smells like now is foul. Sick smelling. I *think* the change in smell started with the antibiotics. Coincidentally, he had a yeasty diaper rash start up about 4 days BEFORE starting the antibiotics, which then about a week later, still with the rash, i got a yeast infection, and a few days later, he got thrush in his mouth.

He has been on jarro baby 1/8tsp/day since about two weeks BEFORE starting the abx.

For his yeast, I have been wiping him down with GSE with each change and of course the probiotics. For me, I did vinegar douches and probiotics and GSE orally. Worked great, but starting slacking too early I guess. It's back and I went for the monistat this time.

It's not clear to me if the foul smelling poops are from the yeast or from the abx that soon followed. Honestly I don't remember if his poops stunk before the abx.

The good news is that the thrush is gone from his mouth (I never got it on my nipples!), and the yeasty diaper rash is on it's way out. (I bleached the diapers as a final desperate attempt to get rid of the yeast).

I would like to increase the baby jarro but fear that 1.5 billion is his tolerance. I would love for you to tell me that everybody else's baby is tolerating much more than that, and they aren't even on abx either.

Also you mentioned jsut putting it in his mouth straight. The bottle says not to do that. Why? It certainly would alleveiate the lack of dissolving problem I have with that powder. The chunks nver make it into his mouth so probably he's missing out on the FOS?

Thanks!
Golden

Off to culture some yougurt. Can I add babyjarro to the milk and yogurt mix?
#310 of 567 Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 PM

I just got my new yogurt maker- it's a girmi with the glass jars. I'm skimmed the thread, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Could someone be kind enough to please tell me exactly how I do this? At the moment, I have 2%milk in the fridge, and jarro capsules. How many capsules? I think I read Goodpapa recommends making 2 jars full at first, then using 1/2 jar for another full batch the next day- do I have that right? Do I scald the milk and how exactly do I do that? The directions that came with the maker aren't very explicit. It just says to put yogurt starter in cold or room temp milk and place in maker for however long I want- not very descriptive. I'm going to pop the jars in the dishwasher to get them nice and sterile, and hopefully some soul will take pity on me by the time their done and give me a few hints.

Please?
#311 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 AM

Do you have a few tablespoons already made yogurt to use as a starter?
#312 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 AM

Can anyone think of a starter I could use for breatmilk yogurt that does not contain dairy, soy, or wheat? I know this is a tough one.

Thanks
#313 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 10:38 AM

I just have jarro capsules. I tried it last night- didn't work. Any suggestions?
#314 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 11:03 AM

You have to have a starter in there too, the Jarro doesn't have the bacteria that give it the texture you're looking for. You can use that same milk, I'd probably scald it first, then when it's cooled to around 112 degrees add in the Jarrow along with a few T. plain yogurt.

Mountainmon, look at the 2 products Ray uses. I think one of them can replace starter. Just look & see if you can find a powdered starter/probiotic that contains S Thermophilus & L bulgaricus.
#315 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpapa
PS I hope you're doing alright up there in the CA mountains. The videos coming through the press are pretty striking.
OK, here's a confession: we have no television and the local newspaper we get have been coming weeks late. Perhaps I should check out the Christian Science Monitor for our local news. LOL. We've had a lot of weather and so. cal. is having mudslides, so I assume that's what you mean. LOL. In that case, we're fine. Our house is on a great foundation although at the top of a hill. The little house on our property is another matter, but I can see it out my office window and it appears to be here. We do have about 3 inches of snow right now which will last another 3 hours -- it will be gone once the sun comes over the mountain.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#316 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Golden,
I'm with Goodpapa... I think you should try to give a little of the Baby Jarro during each feeding. You can put some of the powder on your nipples right before a feeding, my naturopath recommended this and it worked great when my DS was young (now he notices and wants to play with it )

I think you should do some intensive supplementation for quite some time because it seems that the yeast has invaded first and then the antibx will continue to do damage to intestinal flora. How long are the prophylactic antibx px for?

The new version of Baby Jarro came out about 6 months ago and I hate how it changed. The old version was sweet tasting and dissolved very easily, I could just give DS a spoonful and he would slurp it right up straight. The new version clumps up and tastes flat. The trick is to add infantesimal amounts by shaking very gently (like a fine mist of powder) over the liquid to dissolve it, then it will be more likely to dissolve.
#317 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 12:02 PM

Amnesiac and anyone else who may be in the know...
Even if you dont' use starter, will the probiotics grow in bm? I used to do this and even though Baby Jarro didn't produce a firm yogurt, I assumed that the bacteria was growing and still was very beneficial to drink?
#318 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of adding it to each feeding. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had a hard time dissolving it in breastmilk. I was beginning to think I had wacky bm or something!
#319 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 PM

I've never tried to culture BM myself so I really have no idea how it turns out even with starter. I think even if it does work well it will be a looser consistency than regular yogurt. One thing I'm not sure of though is how much/if antibacterial properties of fresh BM affect bacterial growth if you try to grow a culture in it. Those bacteria do like the other goodies in BM though so as long as they aren't inhibited by something they should grow just like they would in cow or goat milk. Actually in some of the probiotic supplementation studies done with chilren, they used cultured milk as the delivery medium.
#320 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 PM

Hey there, I had posted this question in nutrition, but since there are a lot of yogurt making experts here, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Has anyone heard of making yogurt using rice milk? I'm trying to eliminate dairy from my diet, and I think dd has a soy intolerance so I'm going to avoid soy also.

Here is my thread and the response so far. Any other advice would be really appreciated.

By the way- both dd and I take Jarrow Probiotic FOS type (they didn't have the baby kind for her).

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=1#post2510862

Thanks so much!
#321 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to give BM yogurt a try and let you know how it comes along.

Moneca
#322 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Thanks, amnesiac.
#323 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 04:27 PM

Question: Dh would like to try a probiotic. Unfortunately he gets sick when he eats dairy. He doesn't mind some soy in his diet, but we try to avoid eating to much of it... and we already use it in cereals and cooking. Is there any rice based probiotic that is worth the time? I saw the Amasake suggestion towards the beginning of this huge thread, but can't find anything on exactly what ti is or how to make it.

I don't know the depth of his dairy sensativity though. He gets digestive (intestinal) upset from milk, ice cream, cheese and the like. Is there a good chance he would be able to stomach homemade yogurt even if he can't stomach these other dairy sources?

How much should a grown man (6'4) eat a day to start out?

What is the best yogurt maker for the dollar?
#324 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 05:32 PM

My understanding is that amazake can have some lactobacilli in it but it's primarily rice fermented by Aspergillus oryzae. I have no idea what, if any, health effects A oryzae might have but it wierds me out because I think it's one of those fungi that can produce aflatoxin. I think I'm just wierd about fungi period though. If you want to try & make some, GEM Cultures has the starter you can order online.

My dh is bothered by dairy too, but not all dairy. For him, it's primarily the lactose (which the probiotic bacteria munch up). If he were to just drink a glass of milk he has bad belly problems afterwards, but yogurt he's ok with. So it's possible your dh might tolerate a homemade yogurt. Or you could just use the powdered stuff.
#325 of 567 Old 01-12-2005, 07:18 PM

Delurking after reading through a wealth of material. Hi, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegift333
Thanks -- our oven is very tricky -- an electric, and the lowest possible setting still brings the temp up to 150 according to an oven thermometer we bought; the only way we can do 110 is by keeping the oven door ajar (which is horrible waste of energy)
Weegift,
There may be a way to adjust your oven' s temperature range.

I know that on the back of the temperature control knob of my electric oven there's an adjustable bit -- I can move the lowest temperature setting ten degrees per notch on the gauge, and have enough 'room' that I can lower the temp to 110F.
#326 of 567 Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

...I've re-read your story a number of times and I have one more question:
What were your son's symptoms that led to the "suspected kidney/ureter obstruction." It sounds like something happened and the yeast suddenly (after 2 months) got the upper hand.

I think his "foul smelling poops" are from the yeast die-off in his system, which is definitely good.

My son had tons of probiotic powder starting day 3, my feeling was that the dangers of his having had antibiotics during his birth (the C section) far outweighed the "danger" of getting too much probiotic powder. I cannot imagine that there could be too much of the good bacteria. What isn't needed, ie, has no place to go (they essentially form their on communities at various sites in the intestine) would simply move on.

The trick here, from what I've read, is YOUR intestinal condition right now. If you start to clean out the yeast too vigorously by getting alot of the good flora into your system, the by-products of the yeast die-off will end up in your bloodstream (yeast and leaky gut go together to some degree) and into your breastmilk. Your son is detoxing himself right now, and is already dealing with his own elimination.

One thing you could do that would keep your system somewhat under control is a probiotic yogurt douche. My wife used them all through her pregnancy and even now requests them when she's not feeling quite right.

My son never had trouble taking the powder, maybe try mixing drops of BM into a cup with the powder to make a paste not the other way around.

RiceMomma--- I use just probiotic powder for making my yogurt, no other starter. Did your yogurt maker come with a thermometer to tell you exactly when the heated milk has coolded to the right temp? With the yogurt making unit, I think the heat they supply is to KEEP the milk at the right temp, not in any way get it there. My hunch is that the yogurt was too cool.

Mountianmon-- my Jarro and my Ethical Nutrients do not have dairy, soy or wheat. And I use nothing but the powders for the two different yogurts. The consitency is perfect without any yogurt starter bacteria (st.therm or l.bulcaricus--both of which are not native to the human intestine). I consider the real-estate in my jars to be prime, so I'm only giving room to the bacteria that could actually "stick" around.

Rainbow--- my wife was lactose intolerant and our first step was to get lactase gelcaps (the enzyme necessary for lactose digestion) for her milk consumption. Once she got "cultured" the lactase was no longer necessary.

Gotta go make the yogurt.

Good luck everyone (especially you Amanda--

stay close to home, maybe think about a small TV set for emergencies)

Ray
#327 of 567 Old 01-13-2005, 02:14 PM

My son has hydronephrosis and a mega ureter(fluid rentention in the kidney and distended ureter). This was detected prenatally by many ultrasounds, has had many ultrasounds since, a VCUG test and has a Mag3 Renal scan in a few weeks. He has had NO visible symptoms, no UTIs, no fevers, etc. Hopefully this is how it will play out with him, as it can with some children. However, until the extent of the effects of the megaureter on his kidney function is known, he is on the abx at least for another 3 weeks. Longer obviously if something comes from this test.

I will try mixing a few drops to make a paste instead of trying to dissolve it.

As for me, I'm frustrated to say the least. The yeast infection is back today in full force despite me taking probiotics twice a day, and GSE by mouth once a day, vingear douches (which worked until I stopped last week), and a round of monitstat3 that I just finished yesterday.

I just made my first batch of yogurt yesterday. So how do I douche with it? How much, how often? Won't the sugar in the milk/yogurt feed the yeast? Wouldn't it be better to douche with the jarro powder? If so, how much of that?
This is really frustrating. The big guns of diflucan are next....I don't want to wipe EVERYTHING out though.

I will up the probiotic frequency in babe too.

So how much probiotics should I be taking, keeping in mind that excessive yeast dieoff will end up in my bloodstream/breastmilk. I have been taking about 6 billion a day total over two doses.

Thanks for your help!
Golden
#328 of 567 Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac
My understanding is that amazake can have some lactobacilli in it but it's primarily rice fermented by Aspergillus oryzae. I have no idea what, if any, health effects A oryzae might have but it wierds me out because I think it's one of those fungi that can produce aflatoxin. I think I'm just wierd about fungi period though. If you want to try & make some, GEM Cultures has the starter you can order online.

My dh is bothered by dairy too, but not all dairy. For him, it's primarily the lactose (which the probiotic bacteria munch up). If he were to just drink a glass of milk he has bad belly problems afterwards, but yogurt he's ok with. So it's possible your dh might tolerate a homemade yogurt. Or you could just use the powdered stuff.
Quote:
Rainbow--- my wife was lactose intolerant and our first step was to get lactase gelcaps (the enzyme necessary for lactose digestion) for her milk consumption. Once she got "cultured" the lactase was no longer necessary.
Thanks! We are going to to try it. The lactose pills don't help him- so I don't know if it is a lactose thing or not. However, we figure we'll make a batch and see how it goes. If he gets sick we'll just try the plain powder. If he's ok than we know he can handle it.

I went to the store today and bought everything... since we don't eat dairy we didn't have any of the products around. Somehow thought I forgot the dry milk Not excited about going back...
#329 of 567 Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 PM

Just a quick note today:

Psyllium is *excellent* for absorbing toxins in the digestive tract... and keep everything moving along. It's perfect for BF'ing moms who want to detox but not leech anything into their bloodstream.

3-5 grams at night is the recommended dosage with a lot of water, I would say at least 16 oz., at room temperature. I have taken the capsules and find them much easier than trying to mix the powder and then gagging on it.
#330 of 567 Old 01-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Golden:

GSE is best taken at before bed/two hours after eating on an empty stomach to kill the yeast in a relatively empty digestive tract.

Also, you might want to research Candex, which is supposed to not cause die off symptoms. There have been some moms here who have used it:

http://www.pureessencelabs.com/candex.html

I think www.iherb.com is the cheapest.

I have more to add but I'm pressed for time... DS is napping and I gotta go shave my legs so I don't look too scary in at water aerobics tonight :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page