The Power of Probiotics - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
Jane, would you choose yogurt over kefir? I make kefir because the milk is not heated at all. We only consume raw dairy, so to me it seems a shame having to heat the milk to make the yogurt.
From what I understand, you only need to get the raw milk up to 110 degrees to make yogurt - no need to heat it to 185 or so. That way you aren't killing off the good stuff while culturing it into yogurt.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
From what I understand, you only need to get the raw milk up to 110 degrees to make yogurt - no need to heat it to 185 or so. That way you aren't killing off the good stuff while culturing it into yogurt.
Actually, the enzymes and vitamins and minerals in raw milk will begin detrimental alteration at temperatures above 93º. I guess if all you are concerned about are the bacteria it probably would be okay, but as far as I know, by heating the milk even to 110º you are killing off a great deal of the "goodness". This why I am asking. It just seems a shame to do that if you are making the yogurt with raw milk.

t

"The opposite of a lie is not necessarily the truth, but another version of the lie." ~ Cameron Day
Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 AM

Hi, I've read through this thread like 3 times and I am going with all the yogurt making instructions. Am I just dense? I went to college and I still can't figure this out. I normally consider myself to be a smart person but maybe it's just late :LOL .

Anyway, so I want to make some yogurt for my family (I'm doing dairy free for now bc baby has eczema but maybe soon I can eat this too). We don't have a yogurt maker so I was thinking the oven idea sounds easiest.

Ok here's what I have figured out (help if I am totally off!)

1. Heat 1 quart milk (preferably organic and whole) to 185 in saucepan and then cool to 110 to 115.

Q. We just have regular 2% for now, will this work?

2. Warm oven to 100

Q. Not sure how to do this, I read somewhere a 60 watt bulb will warm the oven to this temp? Am I wrong? Should I just put it on 150 and then let it cool off a bit?

3. Pour milk into casserole dish and add 3 Tbsp. yogurt (I got some yogurt from the store with live bugs)

Q. I'd like to add some Baby Jarrow, how much can I add for 1 quart of milk? Will this do something weird because I am already adding 3 Tbsp. of yogurt?

4. Stir mixture, cover dish and put in the oven overnight or up to 24 hours.

Q. Do I leave the 60 watt oven light on, or can I just leave the oven door closed and pray the temp doesn't drop? If I keep checking it will it cool off too much?

OMG you would think that with over 20 pages of this thread I could have figured it out by now. Seriously, I read each and every word (except for the studies). Somebody shoot me please! Or is it just something I have to jump in and try and experiment before it works?

Thanks so much for reading.
Liane
Old 08-06-2005, 07:56 AM

Liane,
You will want to have the light on and the door closed on your oven for the temp to stay right. If your oven will not keep its light on w the door closed, then if I were you, I would use the cooler method (pour heated water into a small cooler and leave it in a warm place to incubate the yogurt).

I think that if you are using 2% milk, then your yogurt will be thin. You can acheive the creamy, thicker consistency with the help of powdered dry milk. I don't do this (have used whole milk every time), but I am pretty sure I am remembering accurately that you add 1 c dry milk to each qt of milk (someone please correct me if this inaccurate!)

On the babyJarro, you would want to start w innoculating only a small container w that, which you can use to start subsequent batches. This would be much more economical than innoculating a full batch w the Jarro. I don't use any storebought yogurt to start mine at all, just the Jarro. I don't know about the baby stuff at all, but w regular Jarro I use either 12 caps or @ 4TBS to 1 3/4 c milk for my initial batch, and then use half that to start the next full quart.

Here is a good page w pictures that might help you out:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...YOGURT2000.htm

HTH! and Good luck!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama
Jane, would you choose yogurt over kefir? I make kefir because the milk is not heated at all. We only consume raw dairy, so to me it seems a shame having to heat the milk to make the yogurt.
I agree, and I had been making kefir, and doing very well on it.... until we decided to start the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and it only recommends acidophilus, bulgarius and thermophilus organisms in certain yogurts and starters. However, I'm finding it hard to give up my kefir. And, I find that I better tolerate and have improved digestion using the powdered kefir starter from Body Ecology rather than the grains. I dont' know why this is.... the since the grains are supposed to be "better".

Sorry this is a roundabout answer. But many experts and lay people disagree as to "which strains of probiotics are best". I think you just have to listen to your body.

But it seems to be that the enzymes and other immune boosting properties of raw milk might be best untampered with. I've also found that making raw milk (unheated beforehand) yogurt turns into something different and more watery so perhaps the yogurt organisms are hampered by the other live bacteria in the milk.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Oh and I also want to add that since the intestines contain something like 300 or 400 different strains of probiotics, the above articles regarding immunological properties of yogurt probably apply to other probiotics, not just the kind that is normally found in yogurt. (For ex. L. Casei and L. Reuteri which have been studied for their unique properties. L. Plantarum too.)
Old 08-07-2005, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I agree, and I had been making kefir, and doing very well on it.... until we decided to start the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and it only recommends acidophilus, bulgarius and thermophilus organisms in certain yogurts and starters. However, I'm finding it hard to give up my kefir. And, I find that I better tolerate and have improved digestion using the powdered kefir starter from Body Ecology rather than the grains. I dont' know why this is.... the since the grains are supposed to be "better".

Sorry this is a roundabout answer. But many experts and lay people disagree as to "which strains of probiotics are best". I think you just have to listen to your body.

But it seems to be that the enzymes and other immune boosting properties of raw milk might be best untampered with. I've also found that making raw milk (unheated beforehand) yogurt turns into something different and more watery so perhaps the yogurt organisms are hampered by the other live bacteria in the milk.
I have only ever made my kefir with the grains so I don't know what the difference might be. In our case we are really not dealing with any guts that need a great deal of healing, although I am sure they could use some improvement! We basically consume kefir because it is generally so beneficial. We don't have many allergy issues, DH is intolerant of gluten and a few other things (caffine - there went his quadruble iced Americano - decaf just isn't the same and peppers), and DS has intolerances towards, beef, pork, asparagus and lemons, he also has an allergy to feathers but none of these things are much of deal. He is still an extremely picky eater but after having him tested and having nothing much come of it, I guess that it is just "him". We are not dealing with any behaviorial issues either. He has been taking a couple of Toby-specific homeopathic remedies to address his "mouth breathing" which has helped immensely.

Anyway, as everyone seems fine on the raw milk kefir, I think I am going to stick with that and not get into the specific strains of probiotics.

t

"The opposite of a lie is not necessarily the truth, but another version of the lie." ~ Cameron Day
Old 08-08-2005, 03:48 PM

Ack, I made yogurt but it didn't work! Well, it sort of did. I made one out of 2% milk and dry milk that I scalded and added some regular yogurt. This one was fine. The almond milk totally didn't work though! I did the same thing except heated to 120F, then added some Jarrow (8 caps for 1 cup), shook it, and then put it in a cooler overnight with 125F water.

I used the instructions here: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...YOGURT2000.htm

I made the almond milk by peeling the skin off the almonds, adding an equal amount of water for the almonds (1 cup almonds/1 cup water), blended, then strained it.

I figured I didn't need to heat it to 185F like regular milk--was this my problem?

Or does almond milk just not work well for yogurt?

Can I still drink the failed almond milk mixture? Or will I just make myself sick?

Help please! :
Old 08-08-2005, 10:31 PM

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

Simple Home Candida Test:

Try this simple test to see if you have a candida yeast infection.
First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, get
a clear glass. Fill with water and work up a bit of saliva, then spit
it into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for
up to one hour. If you have a yeast infection, you will see strings
(like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on
the top, or "cloudy" saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or
cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water.

If there are no stings and the saliva is still floating after at least
one hour, you are probably yeast infection free. ThreeLac could then
be used to maintain good bowel flora and proper pH, and prevent a
yeast infection from coming back as we are always exposed to things
that may cause it to come back.

Most people fail the test. I have heard that over 80% of the
population has candida yeast infections. While using ThreeLac, you can
continue to test yourself. You will start to see fewer and fewer
strings hanging down.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:35 PM

OMG! I am totally doing this tomorrow morning!
Thanks so much !!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:49 PM

Okay, that sounds so totally gross and yet, I'm making dh do it with me in the morning (separate glasses ). All I can say is ... ewww! :LOL

Old 08-09-2005, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj
Ack, I made yogurt but it didn't work! Well, it sort of did. I made one out of 2% milk and dry milk that I scalded and added some regular yogurt. This one was fine. The almond milk totally didn't work though! I did the same thing except heated to 120F, then added some Jarrow (8 caps for 1 cup), shook it, and then put it in a cooler overnight with 125F water.

I used the instructions here: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser...YOGURT2000.htm

I made the almond milk by peeling the skin off the almonds, adding an equal amount of water for the almonds (1 cup almonds/1 cup water), blended, then strained it.

I figured I didn't need to heat it to 185F like regular milk--was this my problem?

Or does almond milk just not work well for yogurt?

Can I still drink the failed almond milk mixture? Or will I just make myself sick?

Help please! :
Nevermind. I found better instructions for almond yogurt on the pecanbread site. I'll let you know if it turns out.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Okay, dh and I did the spit into water test ... I had very little in terms of "whispies" floating down, he had tons that settled upon the bottom of the glass. ewww But then again, I eat about 1 cup of homemade yogurt a day, and drink between 2-4 cups of homemade kefir a day. After about a week of the GI issues associated with so much kefir so quickly, I know it was busy kicking the yuckies out of my system. So, dh has now decided to up his kefir intake too ...

Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM

I failed the spit test miserably, need to get to work on that 24 hour yogurt.

Now I gotta get DH to try too.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:55 PM

OK, I've finally come back to this thread.
But, I have some questions. My dd is now 6 months old, and has always, well since she passed all the meconium, had very stinky, orangy colored loose stools. She's never had the nice bm poops like my ds had. She has lots of gas too. I am not on probiotics now, : and she never has been. What do you all recommend? Should I put her on them first, or both of us? What brand is relatively affordable and good? I'm also looking into yogurt making again, but don't want to do things too quickly.
I would like to totally remove sugar from our diets, but boy is that going to be hard. I do think it would help my ds. Don't know exactly in what way-just an instinctual feeling.
Any suggestions?

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 PM

Hi zanelee, my baby has not had good poops in a while either, and I don't have any advice for you as we are still struggling, but here is a good thread to read for info:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=320840

Hope this helps!
Liane
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 AM

Hello, I need advice on my yogurt, please!

I'm making yogurt right now, and I would like to culture it for 24 hours. But I can't figure out how to do that!

I am using this method:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhause.../YOGURT2000.htm

So right now my yogurt is in a cooler with 110F water, the directions say to leave it in there for 3 or 4 hours. Do I just keep adding hot water to the cooler to keep the temp steady at 110F up until 24 hours is reached?

Thanks,
Liane
Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM

Anybody have an suggestions for me... a friend has a dairy/soy allergic (since birth) dd who is almost two years old. She was nursed until around 14 months old and since then her health problems seem worse. She currently has pneumonia and is on high doses of antibiotics. Since she's allergic to dairy/soy, what can she do? Is is possible to make Kefir or yogurt without using dairy or soy? She is not gaining weight and the doctor's office continues to suggest hot dogs, butter, cheese, whole milk etc despite the fact that she's allergic. I'm trying to dig through this thread, but I'm on dialup and my kids are needy so I appreciate any help anyone can give. PM me if you want to keep it off this thread!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 PM

Michelle,
Please check out "gut healing tribe" in health and healing. You can make kefir from grape juice (I use organic without additives, but you could use any juice).

Peace,
Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Warning about Baby Jarro-dophilus

Gut issues have been plaguing DS and I for a long time (despite consistenting taking probiotics and Elimination/Rotation Diets, but that's another story).

DS had been on Baby Jarro for almost a year. We did use others, but chiefly this one. It did help his stool firm up and digest food better. However, he still needed to be on a restricted diet and certain grains, all forms of sugar and other things would send him quickly back into mushy "stink-to-high-heaven stool" Land.

We had a stool analysis done after a year of the above interventions (diet, probiotics) and he was 4+ for Bifidus. NO Acidophilus. And 4+ for several potentially pathogenic bacterium: Citrobacter, Klebsiella, and Proteus mirabilis.

It wasn't until we started reading about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that I learned that the author of said diet does NOT recommend bifidus b/c it has a tendancy to overgrow and encourage the development of pathogenic bacteria.

Since that's exactly what happened with us, I believe her. She only recommends acidophilus, bulgaricus, and thermophilus calling them "community minded" organisms. Also she notes that research has shown that a bifidus dominent gut beyond exclusive nursing period (first 6 mos of life) is correlated with celiac disease.

It is very frustrating that so little research is available in this area re: which is the best or even most beneficial probiotics.

DS is still most likely dairy intolerant, so he gets Kirkman Acidophilus until I get my non dairy yogurt making up to speed for him.

I'm doing terrifically on The Body Ecology Diet Kefir powder starter made with raw milk for my probiotic fix. Kefir has beneficial yeasts which the SCD author is not sure about but since I improved greatly on it, and is easy to make and preserve the other beneficial enzymes from the raw milk, it's staying for now.

If you want to read more about the SCD for healing the gut see:
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
www.pecanbread.com

and the "Healing the Gut Tribe":
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=320840

UPDATE: the gut flora imbalance due to antibiotics at birth and thrush issues with me led to food allergies in DS. Bifidobacterium is absolutely the correct probiotic to give a babe and toddler. See Healing the Gut Cheat Sheet. However, we've always had issues with FOS.. it makes bad bacteria grow as well as the good, depends on what's in your gut.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Ok, I've got a question.
I've finally gotten myself back on probiotics. The one I'm taking has these in it:
Bifidobacterium breve,
bifidobacterium longum,
lactobacillus rhamnosus,
lactobacilus acidophilus.
My children aren't taking any just yet, as I had to order it. It should be here in a week or so. Both are still nursing, the baby moreso, and both have had looser stools and more gas. The baby moreso, I'm assuming because she's nursing more than my 3yo. I'm assuming also that this is because of the probiotics I'm taking. Is this normal? Something I should be worried about?
Should I do anything, or just wait and see?
Thanks so much!
Also- are the first two I've listed the bifidus bacteria. JaneS- your post made me think...I don't remember which ones are in the powder I ordered for my kids, and that bifidus isn't commune bugs...hmmm....
I don't want to trade one (or several) bad bugs for just one good one.

Oh, and now my poor dd has what looks like "poop scald" on her.
Someone help!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info Jane.. I passed along the link to the Healing your Gut tribe and I hope she'll find some good info there. They are struggling so!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee
Oh, and now my poor dd has what looks like "poop scald" on her.
Someone help!
This bullseye rash and gas meant yeast in my DS.
Has she started on solids? In fact, DS got a "rash from hell", first ever in his life, when we started that horrid rice cereal as his first solid. And eczema started then too. If only I knew then what I know now...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Has she started on solids?
Well, : we did start giving her that same horrid rice cereal a couple of months ago. But it's been VERY sporadic. At least I've only given it to her maybe 4 or so times. Other than that, she's only had a few bites of banana. She's definately ready to eat some solids, but I'm just too scared now, and really don't know what to give her.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM

I totally know how you feel!

I'd stick to fruit and veggies and then meat and egg yolks. The grains will just feed the yeast. Definately start probiotics.

Banana can be excellent as long as the peel is well covered with brown spots... which means all the hard to digest sugars have been converted to simple sugars that are rapidly absorbed. I think avocado is a good first food as well but as with anything go slowly, wait several days before starting something new and note any reaction.

I liked to steam organic veggies then puree them very well with a bit of breastmilk to help digest them (bm has enzymes).

You might want to come over to the Gut Healing Tribe in this forum and look around
Old 08-19-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I'd stick to fruit and veggies
Sounds good to me, and nice and simple.

Quote:
I liked to steam organic veggies then puree them very well with a bit of breastmilk to help digest them (bm has enzymes).
What a great idea! This never occured to me. Do you store any of your prepared food, or do you just fix it up right before feeding it to baby? If so, how long were you comfortable storing it?

Quote:
You might want to come over to the Gut Healing Tribe in this forum and look around
I'm a lurker there...
Thanks so much for all your info!

Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM

I used to freeze small batches (using glass containers, I was and am a bit of an anti-plastic freak). Or used frozen veggies.

I was only comfortable storing food for a day plus I know that that vitamins break down. Add the bm right before feeding though, it will start to digest the food and shouldn't be mixed and then stored.

Steaming is so easy and quick, things take no time to heat up. I got a Braun stick blender to puree the food. It's easy to wash too.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Thank you so much for all your help and information. I have another question. Should you let all fruit be a bit "older", like the bananas? Or are other fruits ok when their ripe?
TIA-
Jennifer

Old 08-21-2005, 07:46 PM

OK, here's a question for all of you. I put myself back on probiotics (over 1 week now). I've got some prob. powder ordered for my kids...but that's another story. Anyway-since I've been back on them, I've had a major "outbreak" of boils. (geez I'm so embarrassed) Not just in one spot, but all over. It's awful! Is this a consequence of the good bacteria getting rid of some bad? I mean it's not like I don't keep myself clean and all....
And what do I do about them? My other worry about it is that I have them under my breasts, and I'm breastfeeding. Both my children still nurse. I worry about one of the infections somehow getting into a milk gland/duct.
(Geez louise! This is just way too much info., I'm so sorry.) I use antibacterial soap for bathing, and drink water....I'm working on my diet....
But can anybody help me? Please?!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:15 PM

I live a very sheltered life..... :
Just last week when reading this thread is THE first time I have ever heard of probiotics, homemade yogurt and kefir.....Bad I know!

However now I am very interested and have NO idea where to start.
Would anyone mind doing a little hand holding?
What do I need to read...any good books out there?
And what do I need to buy and do to make my own yogurt? I need allot of hand holding here a list of things I need and a recipe too!!
I did an internet search but I just want to make sure I am making the GOOD yogurt!
I would really appreciate it!
Thank you!

User Tag List