The Power of Probiotics - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 567 Old 08-23-2005, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well Zanelees mom, your outbreak of boils could be your body trying to throw out a whole lot of toxins. It is quite possible that the probiotics are doing a springclean of your gut, and that has liberated a lot of toxic material. I am surmising here...

One thing for sure is that boils come when the blood is toxic. And a high dosage of echinacea can really help. It cured me of the one boil I have ever had, very fast.

As to you Carson's mama, yoghurt is incredibly easy to make. You just need a large glass jar and a warming cupboard (u know, where a hot water cylinder is). Get some milk. I recommed unpasturised, but organic pasteurised will do. Cows milk or goats. I myself prefer goats. heat it up til it is the same as your body temp. Then add to the clean jar.

.....and then put a bit of yoghurt in, about one tbsp, from a high quality yoghurt you can get from the stores. The cheap stuff often doesn't have live bacteria in it anymore. You'll soon know if there was live bacteria or not in the yoghurt, because if there wasn't, nothing will happen to the milk.

Next, store it overnight in the warming cupboard. Yoghurt bacteria grows best in warm temperatures. And hey presto, in the morning, or at least the next evening you should have a nice thick creamy yoghurt, full of good bacteria. Goodpapa is the expert, but it sounds like lactobaccillis type bacterias are the best, and L. Reuteri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 567 Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM

Does anyone else make their yogurt using pottery? I use a Rowe Pottery Yogurt Maker and just made my first batch on Sunday night. It appears to have turned out.

The recipe is as follows:
Quote:
Bring one quart of water to boiling; pour into Yogurt Maker and set aside.

Combine one qt of whole milk [I used fresh raw goat's milk] and 1/3 cup of dry non-fat milk [I used organic, I assume it's cow's milk though]. Heat on medium high until it reaches 180 degrees. Monitor temperature with the enclosed thermometer. Remove from heat and cool naturally to 115 degrees. Once cooled to 115 degrees, add two tablespoons of plan active yogurt [I used 2 T. of yogurt from my mom which originated from Stonyfield and has since been made using raw goat's milk] and mix. Pour out hot water from Yogurt Maker and pour in milk mixture.

Set aside in warmer part of home (near stove, on refrigerator) and wrap with a bath towel. The bath towel will help retain the warmth of the Yogurt Maker. [My mom recommended that I put it in the oven with oven light on for warmth.] Let it set for 9-10 hours until thick. Place into fridge.

Save two tablespoons near the end of this batch for your next one. This yogurt is delicious mixed with your favorite sweeteners, flavorings and fresh fruits.
Ray/GoodPapa- a question for you. Since I'm using raw goat's milk do I need to heat it to 180 degrees? If not, should I just heat to 115 degrees and then immediately add the starter yogurt and continue with directions? I don't want to unintentionally kill any of the good bacteria.

And for those of you who responded to my queries before, my friend's dd is doing very well. She found some probiotics capsules at the hfs and her dd is doing better than she has done in months and months. A real life-saver and my friend is wishing she'd known about it before. She plans to give the ped a real earful at her ds' upcoming well-checkup.
#423 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM

Thank you Aquaduct!
A warming cupboard? That is just a cupboard that is warmer then the rest? Or is the hot water cylinder the hot water tank that heats water for the house....do I sound really stupid? I just happen to be a person that has to know exactly what I am doing, and KNOW I am doing it right before I get the nerve to try something!
What about setting it in the laundry room while I am doing laundry...gets warm in there...would that work?
Your right it doesn't sound that hard then.....I am going to have to try your method it sounds SO easy!
Thank you!
#424 of 567 Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Does anyone else make their yogurt using pottery? I use a Rowe Pottery Yogurt Maker and just made my first batch on Sunday night. It appears to have turned out.

Ray/GoodPapa- a question for you. Since I'm using raw goat's milk do I need to heat it to 180 degrees? If not, should I just heat to 115 degrees and then immediately add the starter yogurt and continue with directions? I don't want to unintentionally kill any of the good bacteria.

And for those of you who responded to my queries before, my friend's dd is doing very well. She found some probiotics capsules at the hfs and her dd is doing better than she has done in months and months. A real life-saver and my friend is wishing she'd known about it before. She plans to give the ped a real earful at her ds' upcoming well-checkup.
That pottery is gorgeous!

I use raw milk and only heat to 110F per Nourishing Traditions recipe... she suggests a double boiler.

Good news about your friends DD! Probiotics are truly one of the great secrets of the universe.
#425 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM

You're welcome Carsonsmom. I live in New Zealand. Over here a warming cupboard is usually a cupboard placed over the hot water cylinder that heats all the water for the house. But if you can find a nother cupboard that is consistently warm, that will do.

To be sure, if you want to do it properly you ought to use raw goats or cows milk. Pasteurisation does do something negative to the milk, making it more indigestable. Yoghurt bacteria can't undo the damage completely. And stay right away from homogenised milk. The homogenisation process is bad news.

As to the bacteria, I've been reading this thread quite a bit, and suggest you do the same. It looks as though you ought to avoid bifidus bacteria. Lactobaccillus Acidophilus and L. Reuteri are the best.
#426 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
That pottery is gorgeous!

I use raw milk and only heat to 110F per Nourishing Traditions recipe... she suggests a double boiler.

Good news about your friends DD! Probiotics are truly one of the great secrets of the universe.
Ah, okay... thanks for the tip! My mom just bought Nourishing Traditions two days ago, so I'll have to check out the yogurt recipe! My mom bought each of us one of the pottery yogurt makers last year (BTW all that pottery is fabulous, though expensive). She started using it this spring after her doe kidded, but I just used mine for the first time. It turned out, but I was afraid I'll be killing good bacteria by heating it that high. My difficulty is I really love the Stonyfield strawberry flavor in the qt container, not sure if I can get strawberry juice to flavor or not since I don't normally buy juice. I'd really like to avoid adding any sugar.
#427 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
My difficulty is I really love the Stonyfield strawberry flavor in the qt container, not sure if I can get strawberry juice to flavor or not since I don't normally buy juice. I'd really like to avoid adding any sugar.
Have fun reading NT. It's a fabulous book, really riveting...well I think it is! :LOL

I wonder if you could make a strawberry sauce and reduce it, then mix in w/ yogurt.

I make a sauce from frozen strawberries... use organic, regular strawberries have the nastiest and most pesticides of all fruits ex. grapes. Strain it to get rid of seeds. I normally don't cook it, but (just thinking out loud here) simmering gently would thicken it. A little lemon juice or top quality balsamic vinegar to finish. Frozen raspberries are good this way too (no vinegar, just lemon juice).

I need a snack now.
#428 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas Jane. I'm heading up to Bloomington tomorrow so I can hit the ethnic and hfs so I'll be able to get some frozen berries (organic).

My mom bought some kefir grains cultured in raw goat's milk on eBay (this makes me :LOL, you really can get anything on eBay) and they arrived yesterday so we bought started some kefir today. I have a finished batch chillin' in the fridge now so I'll try it out in the morning and I have another batch sitting in the oven since the A/C is on. I'm curious to see what the kefir is like, we bought some of the hfs once but I don't even remember what it was like. :
#429 of 567 Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 PM

holy moly, it's taken me 3 days, but i've gotten through this thread!!! thanks for all the great info- i'm new to the probiotic journey & am 99% sure i've got an overgrowth of candida in my system ( i fit all the criteria ) I'm starting slowly- store bought kefir & supplements, but am getting motivated to try making my own yogurt Thanks everyone!
#430 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 06:33 AM

Hi Aquaduct,
I'm from Auckland and I try to get raw milk,preferably from goat or ewe,but couldn't get any .do you know a place?

For several months I'm feeding my little boy (nearly 2) a mixture of psyllium hulls from the health shop(soaked in warm/hot water),sometimes together with coconut flakes and carob powder,then blend with banana , off an on orange juice,fresh aloe vera, and then I cut pieces of fruit (papaya,mandarin,grapes,kiwi fruit)in. the mixture should be smooth,the psyllium hulls need enough liquid that they don't stick together. my son loves it (me ,too)and as we are raw eaters, it's a good option for us.(Dr. Vogel "the nature doctor" recommends P.H. for constipation/eliminating toxins and it is safe to take during pregnancy.) maybe someone wants to try it out.
#431 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:06 AM

It is illegal in this country for a store to sell raw goats milk (and for that matter raw cows milk). Isn't that stupid? You can sell pasteurised milk that has all sorts of antibiotic traces in it, along with hormones no doubt, that can easily cause asthma attacks in susceptible children because it is so indigestible, but certified raw milk.....just don't go there.

But as it happens, I used to get raw goats milk from a certain store on the sly. They used to keep it out the back, just for me. A friend of yours Oldinos works there, so I think you know which one I mean.

Just ask her if they can arrange it.
#432 of 567 Old 08-26-2005, 07:10 AM

By the way, does anyone know which are the best foods to burn off candida in the body?

I believe the following are good: olive oil
garlic
oregano essential oil
coconut oil? (not sure about this one)

And what about seaweeds? Any other foods or oils
#433 of 567 Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 AM

Thanks, Aquaduct,my friend is looking herself for raw milk (cheese) and could get goats milk from "out of auckland",too far away for a day's trip. the store doesn't seem to be an option anymore. i actually found a ph.number ,but this is probably too far up north.
I'm myself fighting candida. frederic patenaude says, fruit is ok, as fruit sugar is different from refined sugar. any fat should be avoided (even avocado,nuts) as they slow down the elimination of the sugar from the blood and this is where the candida thrives on. but he says also,that garlic is highly toxic and kills everything.well, if it kills the candida,for me it's worth taking it. i read as well,that any mushrooms should be avoided as they are fungi-but who knows- when sugar isn't always sugar,maybe fungus isn't always fungus. everything is so contradictory...so i'm making my own decisions. now i'm having energy and ozone treatment 3x /week, share a colloidal silver/beck zapper with a friend and apart from raw food diet i take supplements to build up my immune system (which is apparently the basis for getting rid of the C.,not necessarily taking tablets etc) and detox. i'm thinking about taking probiotics .
my energy has already improved and the "veil" has lifted a bit,though still quite a way to go.
#434 of 567 Old 08-29-2005, 09:04 PM

That's great Oldinos. Candida is very hard to get rid of. You can't actually get rid of it completely as it is naturally occuring, but it can be controlled.
I just made my first batch of yoghurt, the first for a long time. It had about 13 different bacteria in it....lots of different types of lactobacillus. I got the starter from my neighbors who had a natural health supplement from Australia with all these bacteria in it. The only bad thing is it had bifidorum bacteria in it, which after reading on this thread may not be so good.

But my goat's milk yoghurt tasted so nice. It was made from pasteurised goat's milk...I wish it could be raw. Let me know if you can find a source of raw.
#435 of 567 Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM

Oldinos & Aquaduct

http://www.realmilk.org has sources for raw milk around the world.

It might not just be candida, but also an imbalance in other bad bacteria in the intestines, competing against and reducing the amount of good bacteria. I've had great success on a no grain diet specifically designed to correct his called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm
http://www.pecanbread.com/scdscience.html

Come join us in the Gut Healing Tribe
#436 of 567 Old 08-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Yes, the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil have excellent anti fungal, anti bacterial and anti viral properties.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/index.htm
http://www.lauric.org/
#437 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 07:04 AM

Thanks Jane S. That was very helpful of you.
#438 of 567 Old 08-31-2005, 10:22 AM

I'm sure I remember reading this already, but I haven't a clue where to look for it now. I'm considering taking an antibiotic (Flagyl) for persistent and recurrent bacterial vaginosis. My question is, should I continue to take probiotics while taking the antibiotic, or just start up again after I'm done with the antibiotic?

I have tried changing my diet, adding yogurt & kefir, hydrogen peroxide washes, and other remedies with no results. I also think dh needs to be treated. I'm open to other treatment ideas and success stories, too, please!

One more thing....I am also pregnant (another reason I need to lick this BV now since it can contribute to preterm labor). Is it okay to use yogurt vaginally during pregnancy? Would that be helpful for me in addition to the probiotics? Thanks so much!
#439 of 567 Old 09-01-2005, 06:19 AM

You ask whether it is safe to use yoghurt vaginally while pregnant. You should in fact be asking yourself a far more important question: is it safe to take flagyl while pregnant.

Flagyl is one of the most powerful drugs. It is no ordinary antibiotic. I know because I once took it, and it nearly gave me a nervous breakdown. It is very hard on the liver and has all sorts of side-effects. They (the hospital staff in Japan where I was working many years ago) gave it for amoebic dysentery which is very hard to kill. That's what I had it for, although it turned out I never had any amoeba, I just had a mild case of piles! So I took it for no reason, but it wiped me out.

For goodness sake, do some research into flagyl yourself and weigh it up. Especially if you have a baby in your body I would think thrice before popping that drug.

Oh, and the yoghurt has no side-effects and is completely safe. If I were you I would keep trying at the natural treatments. Try oregano oil and garlic. Also incredibly safe compared to flagyl!!!
#440 of 567 Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Aquaduct, thank you for your response. I have done extensive research about metronidazole and its use during pregnancy. I am sorry that you had an adverse reaction to it in the past, and that it was poorly prescribed. I have also done research about bacterial vaginosis and its possible ill effects on pregnancy and newborns. I really want to get my vaginal flora into a state of equilibrium before I give birth to this baby. Since this has been an ongoing issue for some time now, and has not responded to the many treatments I have tried, I am feeling like I may need to go to "extreme" measures to get my body back in balance.

I am glad to hear that yogurt has no side effects. You also mention oregano oil and garlic....how would I use them? Take orally or otherwise? Thank you!
#441 of 567 Old 09-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Ilovelife,
Somewhere in all these pages is the story of goodpapa's wife having BV. He gave her yoghurt douches. If you can't find the post I would pm him. He is VERY helpful and generous with his wisdom.

Peace,
#442 of 567 Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Thanks, moneca! I was able to find the post and see that they were using the yogurt during pg, too. I think I will go that route to see if it helps.
#443 of 567 Old 09-01-2005, 08:37 PM

Actually I technically speaking didn't have any side-effects from taking flagyll. I never did have a nervous breakdown when on the 5 day course of flagyll. I simply felt like I was on the verge. Western medicine is very poor at picking up on mental effects. I have little doubt I was emotionally affected because of the drugs deletorious effects on the liver. The prescribing doctor hinted that many people who take flagyll don't last the full 5 days, I suspect because of the aforementioned affects. Good luck.

If you want to know how to use things like oregano oil you'll have to read the rest of this thread. I think it was on page 18 or thereabouts.
#444 of 567 Old 09-09-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat
CHECK THIS OUT!!!

Simple Home Candida Test:

Try this simple test to see if you have a candida yeast infection.
First thing in the morning, before you put ANYTHING in your mouth, get
a clear glass. Fill with water and work up a bit of saliva, then spit
it into the glass of water. Check the water every 15 minutes or so for
up to one hour. If you have a yeast infection, you will see strings
(like legs) traveling down into the water from the saliva floating on
the top, or "cloudy" saliva will sink to the bottom of the glass, or
cloudy specks will seem to be suspended in the water.

If there are no stings and the saliva is still floating after at least
one hour, you are probably yeast infection free. ThreeLac could then
be used to maintain good bowel flora and proper pH, and prevent a
yeast infection from coming back as we are always exposed to things
that may cause it to come back.

Most people fail the test. I have heard that over 80% of the
population has candida yeast infections. While using ThreeLac, you can
continue to test yourself. You will start to see fewer and fewer
strings hanging down.
Thank you so much for posting this.... I know, I'm a little late to the party...

I did this this morning (after months of using probiotics daily) and NOTHING... no strings, no flecks... NADA!! YAY!!!

I am going to have my dh do this the next time he is home... I'm hoping a VISUAL cue will encourage him to take probiotics daily... he has a continual case of athlete's foot and jock itch and so many other symptoms of a yeast/candida type thing going on... and insists on using OTC "remedies" instead of addressing the underlying issue. I hope this will show him what's going on!

Thank you!

Lo

P.S. And thank you to everyone on this thread.... I've learned SO much!
#445 of 567 Old 09-12-2005, 10:11 PM

Just wanted to update....I've been doing the yogurt douches for 7 days now, including adding in more probiotic powder. Also taking probiotics orally (for months now, at least). Well, I am actually itchier now than ever. Argh! I am at my wits end. I don't know what to try next.

ETA: In case anyone is still reading here for info. Turns out my itch is due to excema & is all under control now....finally.
#446 of 567 Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Hi,
I haven't had a chance to read thru all of the posts yet, so I don't know if this has been asked, if so-- I apologize.. Anyway, which yogurt maker is the best??? Thanks
Btw Goodpapa, I'm in Greensboro NC!!!!!!!!!
#447 of 567 Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Hi,
Is anyone else freaked out about this? I recently started taking probiotics and this is the brand that I'm using. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Warning about Baby Jarro-dophilus

Gut issues have been plaguing DS and I for a long time (despite consistenting taking probiotics and Elimination/Rotation Diets, but that's another story).

DS had been on Baby Jarro for almost a year. We did use others, but chiefly this one. It did help his stool firm up and digest food better. However, he still needed to be on a restricted diet and certain grains, all forms of sugar and other things would send him quickly back into mushy "stink-to-high-heaven stool" Land.

We had a stool analysis done after a year of the above interventions (diet, probiotics) and he was 4+ for Bifidus. NO Acidophilus. And 4+ for several potentially pathogenic bacterium: Citrobacter, Klebsiella, and Proteus mirabilis.

It wasn't until we started reading about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that I learned that the author of said diet does NOT recommend bifidus b/c it has a tendancy to overgrow and encourage the development of pathogenic bacteria.

Since that's exactly what happened with us, I believe her. She only recommends acidophilus, bulgaricus, and thermophilus calling them "community minded" organisms. Also she notes that research has shown that a bifidus dominent gut beyond exclusive nursing period (first 6 mos of life) is correlated with celiac disease.

It is very frustrating that so little research is available in this area re: which is the best or even most beneficial probiotics.

DS is still most likely dairy intolerant, so he gets Kirkman Acidophilus until I get my non dairy yogurt making up to speed for him.

I'm doing terrifically on The Body Ecology Diet Kefir powder starter made with raw milk for my probiotic fix. Kefir has beneficial yeasts which the SCD author is not sure about but since I improved greatly on it, and is easy to make and preserve the other beneficial enzymes from the raw milk, it's staying for now.

If you want to read more about the SCD for healing the gut see:
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
www.pecanbread.com

and the "Healing the Gut Tribe":
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=320840
#448 of 567 Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Jane,

We have been using baby jarro too for my now 11 month old. What brand do you recommend then?

Thanks!
Golden
#449 of 567 Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DH bought me Bio-K Plus probiotics from Whole Foods after I had tummy problems for 6 months. It cleared it right up! It contains LB acidophilus and LB casei. I recently weaned my 2 1/2 year old dd, and lately she's been having runny poops. I decided to see if she would eat the Bio-K Plus. I'm so excited because this morning she ate a full serving straight from a spoon! That will make it so much easier to give her if I don't have to hide it in a smoothie. (DH can hardly stand the taste). I'm so proud of my little girl! (She also eats her DHA pills straight--just bites into them and likes the fishy taste!) I'll keep you posted on whether the probiotics or not!
#450 of 567 Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM

I'd be very interested in finding out what brands of probiotics everyone is using and any other pertinent information.

I recently got back on probiotics after my dd (almost 8 months and exclusively bf) started pooping awful, stinky orange poos! She's never had the normal breastmilk poos. I also put her on probiotics.
I'm using Nature's Way, but it has the bifidus in it, and interestingly enough (look out, TMI here) I started having awful gas and poos that smelled like dd's! She's on the Nature's Way probiotic for children, which unfortunately has the bifidus too.
So, I'm looking for what to go to next. Anyone want to share?

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page