The Power of Probiotics - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 567 Old 02-04-2004, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I see in this forum would be solved with a simple homemade probiotic yogurt.

It is truly manna from heaven.

Get Cultured!

Ray
#32 of 567 Old 02-04-2004, 07:43 PM

Can I make my own cultured soy using soy milk? Any opinions on this product?

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#33 of 567 Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 PM

I agree with goodpapa about culturing your own. It is so easy it isn't even funny and my kids, who would never eat (plain) store yogurt gobble down plain fresh homemade yogurt. It's so much better tasting.

I am making some right now- I put a corningware pan in my Girmi yogurt maker since I had the jars full of my latest experiment- cultured almond milk!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#34 of 567 Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM

I was wondering about buying probiotics, Since they need to be refrigerated is it a bad idea to buy them over the internet? How can you know that they havent been been compromised? I looked at WFs the other day and didnt see any for infants.
#35 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 07:58 AM

How does one go about making yogurt? can you recommend a book or website? or machine?
thanks,
Jenny
#36 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

you've got all the sources of info right here on this thread.

You want low tech or high tech?

I use a Donvier yogurt maker, it looks like monni has a girmi one.

If you want to just go for it, you can use your oven. Just get a thermometer and some clean glass jars.

Of course you need starter. I use Jarrodophilus for one of mine and Ethical Nutrients Acidophilus and Bifidorum for the other.

Two different tastes, different organisms, and YES, the flavor is so good you really don't want any sweetner.

My wife can attest to that. (LOL)

Mommycat, how old is your child? Less than 2?

http://jarrow.com/products/BabYsJarroDophilus.htm

I get this at my local WF:

http://jarrow.com/products/JarroDophilusfos.htm

BTW, my son's been taking the adult one from about 6 months.

I like the assortment of bacteria in it better. I also based my assessment of what he needed on his size and weight rather than age as he is now at 2 bigger than 3 year olds and very close to some 4 year olds. 40" and 36 lbs. His 5 year old cousin is 41".

Anyone who is going to culture really doesn't need to worry about maximum viability of the bacteria (especially in the winter when delivery trucks in most of the US will be colder than a fridge)
you're going to be breeding your own.

My soy experiment didn't work ,but maybe monnie's almond milk did?

My goat milk DID work (it has less casein than cow's milk)

Remember, the bacteria digest the casein when culturing and change it into an easily digested form.

Good luck,

Ray

PS My son now goes into the fridge himself for his yogurt---makes a goodpapa proud.
#37 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 PM

Wow, this is one great thread. I have learned so much from this thread and started on the probiotic treatment with great results. Thanks to all who posted here with questions and those who answered those questions for helping us all.

A great heartfelt 'THANKS" here from me and my new family.

God Bless
Fay

My next attempt to try homemade yogurt, hee, hee, hee.
#38 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 02:14 PM

goodpapa, did you go a "second generation" with your soy milk culture?

I found that my first generation (made with powdered starter) almond yogurt was very thin- more of a cultured drink, but when I used 6 oz of that to start a quart of almond milk I got fairly thick almond yogurt. The problem was it tasted sharp and needed sweetener.

#39 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 07:56 PM

wow - I have used the Jarro probiotics after our maybe 3 times use of antibiotics, but as we already eat yogurt and actually have a yogurt maker (from the 70's !!) I'd love to make my own - but my question is: how much of what organisms to you use per quart of milk? (organic, whole, of course) One cap per type? More info, please!

Thanks so very much

Barbara
#40 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goodpapa
Remember, the bacteria digest the casein when culturing and change it into an easily digested form.
My DD is highly allergic to cow's milk and I've been reluctant to try...it's just not worth the weeks of eczema that result. Has anyone else tried cow's milk yogurt w/a very allergic two-year-old?

What about cultured rice milk? I'll try goat... (she is also allergic to almonds).

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#41 of 567 Old 02-05-2004, 10:01 PM

I have an allergic child- I started him on yogurt and he can now have cheese as well- I rotate between cow and goat cheese. I don't know if all kids outgrow the allergy, but some do.

(He also outgrew his almond allergy- it used to give him a huge eczema flare)

#42 of 567 Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 AM

monnie - how old is s/he?

#43 of 567 Old 02-07-2004, 01:52 AM

Meg's mom- he's 23 months.

#44 of 567 Old 02-07-2004, 02:42 AM

i just made my first batch of yogurt. for the next batch, made with this yogurt as a starter, how much yogurt do i add to the milk?

also, if i use store bought yogurt as a starter, must it be unpasteurized?

thanks.
#45 of 567 Old 02-09-2004, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

...whether it's storebought or homemade, 3 oz / 48 oz is good.

As long as storebought has "live cultures" on the label it's good to go-- all milk is pasteurized. IMO if you're goig to go to the trouble to culture why not get a high quality powder. Find a friend who's interested and split the cost of the intial container.

For any using jarro gelcaps for starter, 6 caps/ 6 0z container is good, but do only two containers so you can keep the rest for backup (it's good for a long time)

Of the two containers, use one to eat and half of the other to make the next (full) batch.

My soy milk culture just didn't take, my next move when I can find it here in central NC will be to culture raw milk. No heating to 180, just to 110 and culture. this will preserve the cow enzymes that are apparently good for us as well.

Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!

Ray
#46 of 567 Old 02-09-2004, 07:08 PM

Thanks, Ray!
#47 of 567 Old 02-09-2004, 11:30 PM

I recently came across an article that stated: Well I just looked for it again and cant find it but essentially it said that most yogurts and pills were no good because they contained the kind of probiotics found in animals and not in people.....
Is this the case???
They did give the names of 2 yogurts so I wonder if they were plugging them. I think Presidents favorite and maybe something that started with an E????
Anyway i am pretty sure that Ive never seen either of them around here anyway.
#48 of 567 Old 02-10-2004, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

..".because they contained the kind of probiotics found in animals and not in people....."

We ARE animals (LOL)!

Trust me, you've seen the ones I recommend, I'm sure. I truly can attest to their health giving benefits. Try them-- I am positive you will like them.

Get Cultured!

Ray

PS HEY, I just noticed something.

What's that under my monikor?!?!?

RAGING LACTIVIST!!! LOLOLOLOL

I didn't do that!!!! Would the resident genius please step forward?

That's FANTASTIC
#49 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 12:33 AM

Goodpapa-

My dh and I have just started reading about probiotics. We are big yogurt eaters but also enjoy kefir. I have read that kefir is easier to culture and also has tons of health benefits. I was wondering what your opinion is. Do you culture kefir as well as yogurt? Do you feel one has more health benefits than the other?

My husband is taking this on as his next project. We figure we spend about $6 a week just on yogurt so this would be a great way to save money. Plus no more trips to the store just for yogurt/kefir.

Thank you for all the links you posted above. We have saved them and will start reading through them soon.
#50 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 AM

I am culturing REAL Kefir. Have been for a month now... Am loving it & its benifits! (I have crohn's disease)
It is simple, and we all love it (as a smoothie, blended w/ fruit of course!) :LOL

I am also curious to hear your oppinion goodpapa on kefir.....
#51 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 11:25 AM

Ms. Doula, how does homemade Kefir compare to the store stuff? We get terrible sinus and chest congestion from store kefir, which is a shame since it is supposed to be a health food.

Not sure why we can tolerate yogurt, not kefir. Maybe because it's not fresh...???

#52 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

....that I started awhile ago.

Could we keep the probiotic and kefir stuff separate?

You'll see one link in that thread, I had more that I was going to start the discussion with, but my computer crashed and burned-- I lost those links.

BTW, the new computer is great and I'll be finding and sharing more webinfo as I find it again.

Check out my thoughts on the other thread, I had an initial anti-kefir reaction to the info because the sites were so anti-yogurt-- unnecessarily so.

It seems to me that both can coexist--- I just need more info about what these somewhat mysterious grains contain.

Most important to me is anecdotal evidence from people saying they "feel" the benefits.

I know I do when I eat the yogurts I make, that is in part the reason for my enthusiasm-- that as well as the links to research.

Ray
#53 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 03:21 PM

Umm goodpapa... Kefir *IS* a Probiotic!!
#54 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

even in the yogurt research that I've read clear distinctions are made between "probiotic" strains and typical yogurt strains, ie, the Bulgaricus ones.

In fact, Amnesiac (wish she were still here...oh well) sent me a great article that outlined how, in fact, the probiotic bacterium are antagonistic and vice versa to the yogurt type in cultures.

This is why I titled the thread "The Power of Probiotics" and not "The Power of Yogurt" because as of yet I do not believe that the typical yogurt cultures (Bulgaricus, Streptococcus Thermophilus, etc) are as beneficial to the body. Simply because what I culture is found in human bodies in permanent residence.

But this is just a hunch--- the research continues.

I want to see that kefir is truly "probiotic" (for myself)

Ultimately I don't care where the info goes between these two threads.

I'm just happy to be getting all of this--- yogurt, probiotic, kefir-- on the front page here-- generating interest...

....and good health for all, no matter what "culture."

I did post some discussion stuff on the Kefir thread--- some quotes from links that Quirky gave--- that have my analytical mind sparked.

I sure would like to hear more about your Kefir process, from where, when, why and how?

I said it before and I'll say it again, 90% of the illness, ill health problems that I see here would be cured by consuming some type of cultured food. So far we're just dealing with the dairy ones.

Ray
#55 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

...on probiotics is getting out.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...990512,00.html

Ray
#56 of 567 Old 02-11-2004, 09:05 PM

I'm in the process of trying to make my own yogurt using the Jarro caps ...

I have a Salton 5 cup thingy and I just put milk and probiotic powder , warmed up, in it ... 4 hours later and I still have liquid.

*sigh* the powder didn't seem to dissolve very well, no matter how I stirred.

Any suggestions on what I did wrong??

thanks

Barbara
#57 of 567 Old 02-12-2004, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

....with a thermometer?

I'm assuming you've never used this maker before.

I wish you'd mentioned that you were about to try before you did, cause the first time I'm culturing from the powder I only make two cups and use about 6 jarro gelcaps/cup.

Also, I don't know what type of container your using, does the lid seal?-- are there threads on the lid and jar top (glass or plastic).

Again, when I'm working from the powder I put in and tighten the lid and shake quite a bit. Stirring is only for when you're working with actual yogurt starter.

Also, you have to heat to 185- 190 F first, and then cool to 110-115 F, not just warm it.

Hang in there, it will work, just get me more details.

Ray
#58 of 567 Old 02-12-2004, 02:24 PM
EBM

You may have to register to view this (it is free).

To Print: Click your browser's PRINT button.
NOTE: To view the article with Web enhancements, go to:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/468412

Probiotics Well Tolerated, Safe in Infant Formula
#59 of 567 Old 02-12-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

...it's nice to start getting "official" recognition.

"To our knowledge, this is the first careful documentation of intake of live bacteria over any extended period of time in any population. The intakes studied can be used as a benchmark for well-tolerated, safe intake of these bacterial agents," the authors write. "Long-term consumption of formulas supplemented with B. lactis and S. thermophilus was well tolerated and safe and resulted in adequate growth, reduced reporting of colic or irritability, and a lower frequency of antibiotic use."

This is the gist of it for those that aren't registered (though it's free and easy)

Ray
#60 of 567 Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 PM

Hey, Ray

Thanks for the info. After about 10 (!) hours I did get a soft gel.

I do have the thermometer, although not the instructions! for the Salton. The lids for the cups are the snap on kind.

I used 12 oz whole milk, and added 12 caps of Jarro probiotic when the thermometer was at the "add starter" stage - I have no clue as to what the actual temperature was, as there is no calibration... Perhaps my error was in not shaking the powder more fully into the milk?

Further insights would be most appreciated. Can this soft yogurt be used as a starter for the next batch?

thanks a lot; I'm really looking forward to incorporating probiotics into our diet.

Barbara
and ******
and Noah
and Nathaniel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page