The Power of Probiotics - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2004, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...I culture Jarro, Ethical Nutrients acidophilus and bifidorum, and now, my latest friend, Primadophilus L. Reuteri, so I know they've got living bacteria.

Also, I know that these bacteria are lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium because they culture in milk and produce lactic acid.

The point of these bacteria is that they are antagonistic to "bad" bacteria so that in the culturing process only the good survive.

I do not think that any of the above are snake oil. The problem is that infants should not have dairy, but many desperately need probiotic supplementation.

My son needed probiotic supplementation and until we could give him yogurt he got the powder with his breastmilk--- right when he was nursing.

It would be great if there had been some names named in the linked info-- let the sinners be punished in the marketplace, but....

...as usual it's on the "fear" part that makes it ....not the important info. This isn't like Mercola's usual info... oh well.

Get Cultured!

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2004, 12:09 AM

goodpapa,

good article. slide 15 is excelent! i copied it to my yogurt making file.

thanx
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM
EBM

Old 04-05-2004, 08:42 PM

hi, has anyone used KAL brand "Dinosaurs Supplements for Kids - Baby Bifidactyl"? I was looking for Baby Jarro, Whole Foods here was out of it and told me to try this. My dd has had nasal congestion now for 3 months - dark circles under her eyes, and it's getting worse each day. (we also just moved to the country) She is still bf-ing - I take "Primal Defense" by Garden of Life, recommended by Dr. Mercola as best probiotic brand. I wasn't sure if I could give Primal Defense to my dd, it is a hard tablet and not suggested for her age. Her diet is mostly dairy free, except for whole milk plain yogurt, sometimes cheeses. I try to give her spelt bread instead of wheat. I am concerned about these allergies at her age. If dd goes on like this, does she run the risk of asthma? Allergies are on both sides of my family. Could this be a food allergy? Something I am eating that is in my breastmilk? Can I reverse dd's allergies with probiotcs? Also, what is the difference beween FOS and HSO's? please help... :
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 AM
EBM

Quote:
Originally posted by seahorsie
I take "Primal Defense" by Garden of Life, recommended by Dr. Mercola as best probiotic brand.
How do you like Primal Defense and how does it make you feel--better, the same?

Here is info on FOS http://www.natren.com/pages/healthyliving/beware.html

Perhaps one of the knowledgeable on this thread can explain the difference and answer your other questions.

I have been trying to find out more info on the HSO's. On Mercola's website he said the the NCI is funding research on HSOs. He provides a link to NCIs website but not the exact page with info on the research. I am still trying to find it.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:51 AM

You'll find that opinions vary widely regarding FOS from one manufacturer to the next. For example:
http://www.cfsn.com/natren.html
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 PM
EBM

That is a pretty impressive challenge against Natren.

CFS Nutrition argues their case well--they back their statements up with references.

If the things Natren claims are true-it would be nice to see some sources.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:06 PM

Seahorse, allergins can pass into breastmilk. It's complicated to find the source- and probiotics can help with allergies, but sometimes you do need to eliminate foods. Start with the major allergins and see if there's improvement- also with nasal congestion, check for airborne allergins- dust mites, pollen, mold etc.

Good luck.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 04-06-2004, 10:37 PM

Goodpapa, others. I was doing a search of Pubmed and found this article about significant issues with the viability of probiotics outside of the gut due to oxygen toxicity (the bacteria being anaerobic, exposure to oxygen over even a relatively short amount of time kills them). Ever hear of this? Thoughts??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15055922
Old 04-07-2004, 02:24 PM

After switching to BabyJarro & 2 days of taking it, my dd's poops are just as goodpapa says they should be. Oh, and it turns out that dd has a cold (a rare occurence, so didn't recognize it - esp since she has had hayfever). I'm encouraged.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:28 PM

twinmommy, this is good to keep in mind while making yogurt (if you make yogurt). if you stir too vigorously, you will not get great results because of too much oxygen being added to the mix. other than that (unless you have some specific concernes) i don't give it much thought.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seahorsie
After switching to BabyJarro & 2 days of taking it, my dd's poops are just as goodpapa says they should be. Oh, and it turns out that dd has a cold (a rare occurence, so didn't recognize it - esp since she has had hayfever). I'm encouraged.
OMG!!! I wonder if that's why Meg's poops improved! How exciting! I've just been mixing Jarro into her morning soy milk!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45 PM

I have definitely noticed firmer poops for ds after starting mixing in baby jarrow (we use 1/2 tsp) with his rice milk. The other big difference was reducing cow's milk and increasing yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, butter, and other cultured milk products instead. He used to have really runny, fairly frequent, noxious smelling poos.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 PM

just bumping this thread up for new readers...

warmly,
claudia
Old 06-25-2004, 04:11 AM

Thank you so much for this thread and all the great information. My ds has had chronic diarrhea and also eczema for several weeks. I'm excited to try a probiotic regimen starting tomorrow!

Our ped never connected these two conditions, but it does make a lot of sense...
Old 07-10-2004, 06:35 PM

Bumping up the thread for new members and such.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:02 AM

Thanks so much for bumping this thread! I have just spent over an hour reading all of the info, with more reading to go. I am ready to begin making our own yogurt, but I'm wondering if I should start with goat, rice or almond milk and if it will work as well. My dd is 21mos and has been suffering with horrible excema since about 2-3mos. It has been much worse for the last several months. She currently has very large patches on her legs, arms and tummy. We have been to 2 allergists, 1 derm and our regular pediatrician, tried many "remedies, none of which have helped and now I am learning more about how probiotics may help improve her condition. The reason I am wondering about starting with something other than cows milk is that we are about to start a dairy elim diet and see if that helps. I also want to avoid soy as she had a definite sensitivity to it until about 3 months ago, so I don't want to overload her system on that either. I have always given her probiotics (primarily the powder from regular acidophilus capsules) when she has had to have antibiotics for recurrent ear infections, but I am now starting to be more diligent about giving her a chewable probiotic (acidophilus + bifidus, the label says). I may head back to WF tomorrow for the Baby Jarrow powder though.

Again, thanks for the info, and if anyone has any input on using goat, rice or almond milk to make my own yogurt while dd is on a dairy elimination diet, I would love to hear it.

p.s. dd has almost always had very soft, smelly stools (since starting solids) and I just assumed it was because she eats ALOT of fruit. It would be a great bonus if her stools firm up. Cloth diapers and runny poo can be a bit of a pain.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:30 AM

I say go for the goat first. In my opinion it is easier to ferment than rice or almond. Also the protein is smaller and easier to digest than cow milk.

Glad you found the thread.

I miss Goodpapa!
Old 07-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a try!
Old 07-11-2004, 05:05 PM

The very soft smelly stools is definitly a food related allergy. My dd gets like that is she has soy, it also makes her eczema worse.

Good luck!!
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 PM

wow, great thread.

i've been giving ds jarrobaby for about 3 wks (he's 9 wks)--mixing it in with ebm once a day (1/4 t). planned on doing this for a while for all the beneficial reasons...a year or so, but after perusing this thread, wondering what some of you are doing vis-a-vis how long, if/when to mix it with yogurt etc (i'm not a make-your-own-culture momma...wish i were!).

thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:34 PM

Mettamama, I didn't give dd and ds yogurt until they were 7-8 months old. In fact, I didn't give them ANY food until they were 7-8 months old. Not sure yogurt adds much if you're already doing the Jarrow. Jarrow+EBM (or perhaps Jarrow on a finger for awhile) is what we plan to do for #3. FYI... dd and ds have always tolerated organic, all natural, whole milk plain yogurt extremely well. For a while, ds had a dairy "sensitivity" (he'd get loose, frothyish stools from drinking cow's milk) but I never had that problem with yogurt, culturered butter, real cheeses, etc. etc. Now that he's 2, he tolerates cow's milk much better... can have a glass or so, or regular milk in cooking, etc. with no problems, though I still give him calcium+D-fortified organic rice milk (and TONS of yogurt and cheese!) instead of doing too much cow's milk... don't want to rock the boat.

HTH!
Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 PM

Some fun fact for you about fermented milk products:

Quote:
Fermented milk products also have powerful bactericidal properties. Salmonella typhi (the agent for typhoid fever) added to yogurt disappeared within thirty to forty-eight hours. Shigella species, agents for dysentery, disappeared within two hours. Escherichia coli did not develop; Salmonella paratyphi (an agent for recurrent fever and diarrhea) and Corynebacteriae diphtheria lost their ability to cause disease, as did Neisseria meningitides (an agent for meningitis) and Vibrio comma (the agent for cholera). Dahi is a fermented milk product in India that is similar to yogurt. When E. Coli, Streptococcus, and Straphylococcus were added to dahi, the organisms soon died off.
Source: Seneca, Harry and others. "Bactericidial properties of yogurt." American Practitioner and Digest of Treatment, Dec 1950;1(12)1252-1259.

Actually, I have plenty fun facts about raw milk and fermented milks but due to mothering's rules, I couldn't post any more than 100 words... The problem is that I got these from the journals, oh well.

I bought the kefir grains from G.E.M. Culture since it contains pure kefir grain as well as Dom's kefir. I used Dom's simple method with cold raw milk, it works well for me. In fact, it works far better than kefir starter powder, I used that before I found Dom's site and placed an order thru G.E.M.

However if anyone is still interesting in kefir and milk products, get either books, "The Untold Story of Milk" by Ron Schmid, ND with foreward by Sally Fallon (extremely high recommendation) and "The Milk Book" by William Campbell Doughlass II, MD. These books cover many things about milk & fermented milk products plus messy politic issues that we may/may not aware of. Other third book on milk will be soon release, couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:20 PM

How timely...thanks for the new info!

I have a question for all my 'cultured' friends.

When I make youghurt I will make a mother batch and then take a 1/4 cup of that to make 1 quart batches until the 'mother' is gone or its (mother batch) has gone off. Normally is use 3.25% milk (occasionally 2%) for this.

My question is this. The whole foods store where I work had 1/2 and 1/2 creme a day away from expiry so I got 1 quart for about 1$. I made my 'mother batch' from that last night.

It is pretty decadant...the creme rose to the top and it is thick and smooth.

Now I will use 1/4 cup of this to make yougurt for about the next month.

What do you all think? Is this a good option for my 'Mother batch'? Have any of you tried this? Can I use this mother with 1% milk for a lighter youghurt for me?

Thanks!
Nice to see this thread back up!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:25 PM

Hurray, I tried my first batch of cultured soy milk yesterday! I haven't tasted it yet, but the consistency looks great!

Question: the book I'm using (Super Baby Food) says to pour off the whey to make the yogurt thicker, which makes sense. But my understanding was that the whey contains most of the probiotics so it should always be stirred in...what's up?

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 09-18-2004, 04:20 PM

I've heard that too - and never pour off the whey on ours (unless I have to use the whey for something, like soaking beans or oatmeal or whatever). My kids hate the super runny yogurt so if there's a ton of whey, I sometimes I add a little gelatin or mashed banana. HTH!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:15 PM

MM- I don't see a problem with using the heavier one as your starter. It's got the bacteria. It sounds incredible, by the way. Sometimes I put a bit of extra cream in ours and eat the top layer myself.

On the whey -- I usually strain it off and save it for my son to drink. I put it in his cup with a bit of stevia. It's great on days when he's eating very little else.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:39 PM

I've got extra Kefir grains (orrigionally from somone on Dom's site) If anyone is wanting some......... LMK

HEY... Gale Force- I replied to at least one or more threads you were posting in... with no reply so far....... ARE YOU PREGNANT TOO!!??
Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Gale!

Another question:

So I used the creme starter and I made youghurt from a un-homogenized, low heat pasterized milk I found at the farmers market.

It smells good, tastes fine but has stringy strands of mucous like stuff throughout it and its lumpier than usual. It had ALOT of whey on the top.

Any comments on this...I am not sure how I feel about it.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Thanks for the reply Gale!
It smells good, tastes fine but has stringy strands of mucous like stuff throughout it and its lumpier than usual. It had ALOT of whey on the top.
That doesn't sound good, particularly the whey on top, but I am not sure what to tell you. Well, the mucousy stuff doesn't sound great either. LOL

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List