The Power of Probiotics - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2004, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lolov -- definitely stick with it despite the gas.\

On the custom probiotics, it seems like folks here have considered taking them, but I haven't heard a review from anyone who did. The combination of yogurt and kefir have worked really well for me (and hit a lot of bases) to fight candida. Of course, that's been with a candida diet too.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 02:29 PM

Looks to me like the Custom product is more potent so some people might not tolerate them that well if you're taking a whole capsule. The Udo Erasmus adult product says it contains 12 billion/capsule (which is similar to the 12 billion/ 1/4 t green label JarroDophilus though the species content is a little different) & the Custom site says "25 billion per capsule guaranteed at date of expiry...Our latest independent laboratory test results indicate 66 billion total bacterial count per capsule. " And I'd NEVER pay $40/bottle either.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your input!!! I was beginning to feel like I was about to explode or something because... OMG... I smell like sewer!! That just tells me that my innards are YUCK!!! I am assuming that this is a positive sign that the probiotics are working

Amnesiac... ??? I'm confused... you said the custom probiotics looked like they were pretty potent, but you'd "never spend $40 a bottle"... I was thinking of buying the powder... it's $90 for 50g (for my whole family... adults use a large scoop and kids use a small scoop... both provided) which I thought was more cost effective than buying capsules. The Udo Erasmus caps I have are $16 per bottle of 30 caps @ 15 billion guaranteed at "best by" date. Since the custom probiotics was guaranteed and independently tested at 60+ billion, I just assumed it was better (see, I'm a newbie... more = better... LOL) Should I hold off or is there a better/less expensive product out there?

BTW, I got my husband to take these probiotic caps three times a day. He's had persistent heartburn, IBD/IBS etc. for YEARS and I'm banking on this regimen (once we get the dosage right) to get him off all of the stupid meds he's been taking (there's $200 a month). I will keep you all updated... I'm just so excited that he agreed to take these!!! He's already noticed that he's, uh, "stinkier" than usual, so I'm hoping that's a good sign of things to come!

Thanks to everyone again! I never would have learned about probiotics if it weren't for you all here!

Lo
Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM

The Udo product is $16/30 doses. The green label Jarrow I use is $13/70 doses (1 dose=1 gram=1/4 t). They contain about the same # of organisms/dose but the species are a little different. Of course, I grow mine up in yogurt so I'm not really dosing us out of the bottle every day & it goes farther.

I didn't look at the Custom powder pricing before, just the capsules. I just would never pay $40 for something that potent that I had no idea if I'd like or tolerate. Just realize that your experience with the gassiness etc will be magnified if you suddenly double/triple your dose & you may or may not tolerate it. I don't know how much their large/small scoops are so I have no idea what volume/organism count they are using per dose for the powders but they must be super tiny scoops.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:24 PM

where have you all found your Jarrow for $13/70 doses???

I was getting a freeze dried variety at Trader Joes, and I know its probably not Near as good... but it was 7.00 for 30 caps. & better than nothing... well now Im out & I want to try the Jarrow
Old 09-30-2004, 04:48 PM

My little health food store carries it. Their prices are usually lower than say Whole Foods so it may be a little higher elsewhere. They make a few different products & this is the one I get because it's the highest potency & since it's not in capsules it's easy to make yogurt with:
http://www.jarrow.com/products/Jarro...sfospowder.htm
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 AM

Amnesiac: Thanks for clarifying!!! It's so hard to know what someone means when you aren't "talking" in person, kwim?

I think I'm going to try the custom probiotics powder and start with the
"baby" scoop for my dh and I and just about half a baby scoop for the kids.

Do you know if the probiotics go through to the breast milk?? I wonder because since I've been taking the probiotics, my ds's bm's have been very soft and very stinky... tho, he's teething as well, so maybe that has something to do with it????

Thanks again for your input... I will let you know how I tolerate the CP powder
Old 10-01-2004, 09:19 PM

Yes, it seems clear (based on good studies (double-blind placebo-controlled)) that probiotics go thru in the breastmilk. In (at least) one such study, young infants (under 6 mos) got benefits from probiotics regardless of whether they or their mothers were taking the probiotic.

Doing a search on "lactobacillicus" (sp?) and "eczema" my MIL found 4 articles in the Cochran Library (archive of good research, esp for perinatal stuff), all 4 of which found a positive effect of probiotics for infants (reduction of cases of eczema & allergies, plus other possible benefits (asthma). These positive effects occurred in infants whose mothers were taking the probiotic equally to the good effects in infants who were themselves being given the probiotic. (All or virtually all of the babies in the study were breastfed.)
Old 10-01-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It smells good, tastes fine but has stringy strands of mucous like stuff throughout it and its lumpier than usual. It had ALOT of whey on the top.
This happens to me if I use a goats milk starter in cows milk or vice versa.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrog
Yes, it seems clear (based on good studies (double-blind placebo-controlled)) that probiotics go thru in the breastmilk. In (at least) one such study, young infants (under 6 mos) got benefits from probiotics regardless of whether they or their mothers were taking the probiotic.
The Lactobacillus GG studies were sponsored by Culturelle:
www.culturelle.com and are posted along with other food allergy information in their Research section.

It is a very potent probiotic strain, but expensive. $18 per 30 capsules of 10 billion. I will say once our naturopath started DS on this his poops got firm within a day or 2 and he had already been on Baby Jarrowdophilus for a month. I have no doubt it contributed to his improvement.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:46 PM

First of all, this is an awesome thread. I have learned so much! Right now I am trying to make some yogurt in the crockpot (making yogurt without a yogurt maker), but am looking at buying a yogurt maker on-line. My question is this: If I want to add some sweetener, do I add it before I begin culturing it or after it's already turned into yogurt? I was thinking of making some vanilla yogurt with a little sweetener (sugar?) and a little vanilla extract but didn't know when to put it in. Also, does 2% milk work? That's what I'm trying today. And, I have some baby/children's probiotic powder that is strawberry flavored ... has anyone used a flavored probiotic to make yogurt? Does it come out good? And, what machine should I get? I'm looking for ease of use and also money ... hoping to keep it under $50 (I'd love it that included shipping). Thanks!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 10-03-2004, 06:56 PM

I have some probiotic powder that my dd asked me to taste last week. After she tasted it she asked for a bowl of it to eat, so I gave her a few tablespoons in a bowl and she loved it! She kept asking for more, so I gave her a couple of more tablespoons. Anyway, now she wants to eat it everday like a treat. How much is too much?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
My question is this: If I want to add some sweetener, do I add it before I begin culturing it or after it's already turned into yogurt? I was thinking of making some vanilla yogurt with a little sweetener (sugar?) and a little vanilla extract but didn't know when to put it in. Also, does 2% milk work?
I can answer a few of your questions.

The firmest and most successful youghurt comes from milk with fat. So 2% is fair but whole is better.

I would avoid sugar all together as it will most definately interfere with the ability of the body to absorb all the nutrients in the youghurt and it interferes with the purpose of probiotics which is to increase the flora of the digestive system. Sugar increases negative bacteria in the d.s. so sugar and probiotics in my opinion do not mix.

If you need a sweeter taste then add a drop or two of stevia extract to the finished product. Or simply add puried fruit when serving such as blueberries or apples to help flavour it.

This way you can use your plain unflavoured yougurt for other dishes that are more savoury in flavour such as greens and quinoa with youghurt dressing.

HTH
Old 10-03-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexymama
I have some probiotic powder that my dd asked me to taste last week. After she tasted it she asked for a bowl of it to eat, so I gave her a few tablespoons in a bowl and she loved it! She kept asking for more, so I gave her a couple of more tablespoons. Anyway, now she wants to eat it everday like a treat. How much is too much?
I think the answer to that would be how your dd's bowel movements have been.

Too much probiotic at once can cause very loose stool with tummy upset.

Everyone is different. It also depends on the probiotic powder itself. How many millions of bacteria are present and how many strains.

Watch her poop for signs of overuse.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:26 PM

Thanks mountain mom!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 PM

Thanks Mountain Mom! Okay, my next question ... my yogurt still isn't setting ... it's quite runny and has been "cooking" for over 4 hours. Does this mean the probiotics I used are bad or not living any more? Is there something else that I did wrong? Thanks again

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 10-05-2004, 03:46 PM

The longer you incubate your youghurt the firmer it becomes. Sometimes I incubate as long as 15 hours. The key is to test a portion of your probiotic for viability by culturing a small amount (like 1/4 cup of milk) to be sure its active. Another pointer is to make sure your incuation temperature stays consistent.

HTH
Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
The Lactobacillus GG studies were sponsored by Culturelle:
www.culturelle.com and are posted along with other food allergy information in their Research section.
When I went on a severe elimination diet while breastfeeding Meg (has eczema), I saw a nutritionist and this is the brand he recommended. He also told me Houston Buyers' Club has some of the best prices for it.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 PM

Question: I made yogurt from soy milk with a cultured soy ("soy yogurt") starter. I added some "Dairi Free", which is the non-dairy equivalent of powdered milk. I used my electric skillet with water in it to hold the container while it cultured. It turned out pretty well, with one exception: it molded two days after I made it. I thought I was being careful about sterility. A friend suggested maybe my starter should come from a brand new container and not one that has been open for several days?

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
Old 10-06-2004, 08:37 PM

I am ready! How many Jarro capsules should I add to a quart of milk? It is better to mix that into yougurt, then the milk? Does it make a difference if it is homemade soy milk or cows milk? I am pretty sure this was already covered, but I have been reading this thread over a few days and now I can't find it.
Thanks!
G
Old 10-07-2004, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexymama
I have some probiotic powder that my dd asked me to taste last week. After she tasted it she asked for a bowl of it to eat, so I gave her a few tablespoons in a bowl and she loved it!
Speaking of taste... DS used to take Baby Jarrow off the spoon. It tasted very sweet. Now they have changed formulations and the taste has changed. It doesn't taste bad, just not sweet and different. ;(
Old 10-17-2004, 12:52 AM

Thank you all so much for this thread. My dd seems to have some immune system challenges from reflux as a newborn to constipation to our latest an ear infection (the first ever in this family) Dh wants to give them the prescribed antibiotics so I thought I'd google for an infant probiotic but stopped here at MDC for a quick search first. Man I love this place. I had always thought probiotics were a treatment not a preventative I just ordered some jarrow for all of us hope it gets here soon.

Mylittlewonders: did the crockpot work? I tried culturing almond milk in my oven a year ago and failed miserably.

thanks again
Old 10-19-2004, 02:50 AM

Bumping this back to the front page

Also, for anyone in Southern California, Henry's Marketplace (owned by Whole Foods) has Jarrow products on sale this week for 25% off! Can I buy a bunch and just keep it in the fridge or freezer for a while (I'm thinking like a three month supply) or will it go "bad"???

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolov
Can I buy a bunch and just keep it in the fridge or freezer for a while (I'm thinking like a three month supply) or will it go "bad"???

Thanks!
Yes of course, keep in frig. . . the latest batch I bought has an expiry date of 2006
Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Ms. Doula....I would love to get some kefir grains from you if you still have extra. A friend of mine just got a cow so I have more raw milk than I know what to do with. Also my midwife would like some as well if you have enough for two. If not, that's ok...I'll keep looking. I'm new to all of this but very excited to get started. Thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 04:00 AM

this may be a silly question...

but will giving my breastfed toddler a probiotic supplement mess with the good intestinal flora that breastmilk is supposed to give her? she does eat a little bit of solids, but still nurses for most of her nutrition. i don't want the probiotic to change the way her gut is "supposed" to be...although i suppose if she is eating solids, that is already altered anyways, right? (okay i may have answered my own question here... )

i got her the Udo's Choice Infant Blend Probiotic...does anyone else use this? it's the only infant one my health food store carries. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/p...cs_infants.htm

she had/has reflux, and gets sick alot, ear infections, etc. hoping this will help! thanks for all this great information.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Old 10-21-2004, 12:37 PM

Hi everyone

I am so glad to see this thread is still going strong It really changed my family's life for the better. I am newly pregnant and have some questions pertaining to probiotics and the birth canal.

With my last pregnancy I had 2 yeast infections, and then towards the end my midwife told me I had an imbalance in the bacteria in my birth canal. Depsite our attempts to treat it naturally the infection (or overabundance of bad bacteria) irritated my uterus leading to incredibly painful contractions for twenty four hours. I thought I was in labor, however the contractions were not opening the cervix. I ended up in the emergency room (sent by my midwife who was very concerned when she checked my cervix and I began gushing blood) and had to have an ultra sound plus several hours of monitoring - all of which I would not have other wise had - and the threat of a c - section loomed large... anyhow, this all passed, I took Flagyl, and went on to have a completely natural bith to a very healthy babe.

This time around I want to avoid all of this. I am 5 weeks along and have allready had a yeast infection though I drink lots of kefir and eat yogurt regularly. I avoid sugar and almost all refined foods. i have a very balanced whole foods diet (though pizza is my downfall, which is why i said i avoid almost all refined foods )

I am wondering if I should also take a probiotic supplement? The jarro stuff I hear so many of you talking about :LOL Will this help keep my birth canal nice and healthy?

Any other ideas would be so very appreciated
Old 10-24-2004, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

..I wish I could dig out the various posts I've got somewhere that have all the details of my wife's pregnancies but we'll go with the salient points.

We'd had two miscarriages, numerous bouts of bacterial vaginosis, high-powered antibiotics and the docs couldn't do a damned thing.

I did the research, we got off the antibiotic and hormone meats, and started yogurt douches ( I wasn't culturing then.)

It was primitive at the point--- just Ethical Nutrients Acidophilus and Bifidorum powder in a Stonyfield organic plain yogurt. I took the applicator they gave us with the antibiotics and filled the tube with yogurt cream and with my wife sitting in bed at bedtime gave her the entire tube to put in.

At a subsequent visit at the obgyn the doc, using a speculum could actually see those lil' bacteria setting up shop.

Throughout the pregnancy my wife would request and receive regular yogurt douches. She could simply feel when they were necessary. I don't why but the best mix seems to be the yogurt with 3 or 4 powder caps in there. I'd go with adult Jarro now as the bacterial mix has that L.rhamnosus that is especially good for the "lady parts".

You might also eat as many yogurts as possible. My 2.75 year old son has raised the bar around here and his most recent daily record is 5 6oz jars. He's 38 lbs. He just goes into the fridge to get them. One culture is Ethical nutrients the other is the Jarro. Bananas have great nutrients for the bacteria.

I'd also recommend dropping the kefir and culturing probiotic powder as a yogurt rather than eating store-bought yogurt.
From the research I've seen countering the claims from kefir websites, probiotic bacteria and NOT kefir bacteria are native and synergistic to the human GI tract. The strains in high grade probiotics are actually derived from bacteria taken from humans.

Let the hulla-balloo begin!

Good luck,

Ray

PS Thanks to all for the excellent care of my "baby" (the thread of course)
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

...you're question is not at all silly. It points to an essential failing in our "cultural" heritage.

In giving birth women can only give as good friendly flora as they have. In the cases of C-sections such as my wife's the powerful antibiotics needed for the surgery severely compromise the bacterial flora in the mother.

Where does the child's come from then??

Antibiotics and hormones in the conventional meat supply, antibiotic medicines, our modern diet (devoid of cultured foods and the fibers that enhance their lives) decimate our bacterial populations.

Remember, the bacteria were here first, we evolved in a biosystem where their functions are essential to all "higher" life-- let's say mammalian in this case. (I'm just trying to give a sense of their primacy NOT ours.)

When we got back from the hospital--- day 3 of my son's life-- I took the probiotic powder on my finger and pressed it into his mouth while he nursed. Meanwhile, I cultured yogurts for my wife to recolonize her healing body. I would say that any infectious complications after C-sections are the result of women not replenishing their flora at a time when they are most vulnerable--- when they're trying to heal.

Let me know how everything goes. Don't be afraid to be aggressive with the powder. If she's had any eczema and is possible allergic to dairy, go with powder for yourself. If not, you might think of culturing the powder as a yogurt.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 10-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
I drink lots of kefir and eat yogurt regularly. I avoid sugar and almost all refined foods.
Punkprincessmama -- is your yogurt and kefir homemade? If not, that is critical. The commercial stuff simply does not have the amount of bacteria that you need. You can also let your own yogurt culture longer (24 hours or more) and let your kefir sit longer (2 days or so) and you will have a lower lactose product which will not feed the bacteria.

You also should introduce antifunglas into your regimen. Grapefruitseed extract is a popular one and very strong -- be careful. Oil of oregano is apparently very good, though I have yet to try it. Ideally you would rotate two or three antifungal products every 3 days or so.

And welcome back, Ray. I disagree with your kefir assessment. From my own experience, kefir has made the difference for me in beating my yeast problem. I think both kefir and yogurt are critical.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List