Mothering Forum banner

The Power of Probiotics

69K views 566 replies 131 participants last post by  WuWei 
#1 ·
I compiled this list for a friend and thought it might be good here.

IMO, although very common these days the following are not "normal" for infants and toddlers and are evidence the need for a close look at dietary/health issues:

Reflux
Chronic Ear Infections
Asthma
Diarrhea
Eczema
Hives
Profound Food allergies of all types--- even to the extent of being deadly
Constant runny nose
Constant throwing up
Persistant cough
Poor appetite
Low growth- weight gain (except in cases where genetic predisposition dictates)

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/65/9/3763

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/73/2/444S

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/69/5/1035S

These are pdf files:

http://www.univ-lille1.fr/lea/Menu_d...cenier_CPD.pdf

http://www.slpk.sk/eldo/actafz/golian.pdf

http://www.nutricology.com/proddesc/...heet050103.pdf

Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!

Ray

2/22/2004 Additions:

http://www.victusinc.com/Enterales/R...Probiotics.htm

http://www.merc-buyers.com/FS-microorganisms.htm

3/14/2004

natha's "eczema" thread:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=95863

See less See more
#202 ·
Thank you all so much for this thread. My dd seems to have some immune system challenges from reflux as a newborn to constipation to our latest an ear infection (the first ever in this family)
Dh wants to give them the prescribed antibiotics so I thought I'd google for an infant probiotic but stopped here at MDC for a quick search first. Man I love this place. I had always thought probiotics were a treatment not a preventative I just ordered some jarrow for all of us hope it gets here soon.

Mylittlewonders: did the crockpot work? I tried culturing almond milk in my oven a year ago and failed miserably.

thanks again

#203 ·
Bumping this back to the front page

Also, for anyone in Southern California, Henry's Marketplace (owned by Whole Foods) has Jarrow products on sale this week for 25% off! Can I buy a bunch and just keep it in the fridge or freezer for a while (I'm thinking like a three month supply) or will it go "bad"???

Thanks!

#204 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolov
Can I buy a bunch and just keep it in the fridge or freezer for a while (I'm thinking like a three month supply) or will it go "bad"???

Thanks!
Yes of course, keep in frig. . . the latest batch I bought has an expiry date of 2006

#205 ·
Ms. Doula....I would love to get some kefir grains from you if you still have extra. A friend of mine just got a cow so I have more raw milk than I know what to do with. Also my midwife would like some as well if you have enough for two. If not, that's ok...I'll keep looking. I'm new to all of this but very excited to get started.
Thanks

#206 ·
this may be a silly question...

but will giving my breastfed toddler a probiotic supplement mess with the good intestinal flora that breastmilk is supposed to give her? she does eat a little bit of solids, but still nurses for most of her nutrition. i don't want the probiotic to change the way her gut is "supposed" to be...although i suppose if she is eating solids, that is already altered anyways, right? (okay i may have answered my own question here...
)

i got her the Udo's Choice Infant Blend Probiotic...does anyone else use this? it's the only infant one my health food store carries. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/p...cs_infants.htm

she had/has reflux, and gets sick alot, ear infections, etc. hoping this will help! thanks for all this great information.

#207 ·
Hi everyone

I am so glad to see this thread is still going strong
It really changed my family's life for the better. I am newly pregnant and have some questions pertaining to probiotics and the birth canal.

With my last pregnancy I had 2 yeast infections, and then towards the end my midwife told me I had an imbalance in the bacteria in my birth canal. Depsite our attempts to treat it naturally the infection (or overabundance of bad bacteria) irritated my uterus leading to incredibly painful contractions for twenty four hours. I thought I was in labor, however the contractions were not opening the cervix. I ended up in the emergency room (sent by my midwife who was very concerned when she checked my cervix and I began gushing blood) and had to have an ultra sound plus several hours of monitoring - all of which I would not have other wise had - and the threat of a c - section loomed large... anyhow, this all passed, I took Flagyl, and went on to have a completely natural bith to a very healthy babe.

This time around I want to avoid all of this. I am 5 weeks along and have allready had a yeast infection though
I drink lots of kefir and eat yogurt regularly. I avoid sugar and almost all refined foods. i have a very balanced whole foods diet (though pizza is my downfall, which is why i said i avoid almost all refined foods
)

I am wondering if I should also take a probiotic supplement? The jarro stuff I hear so many of you talking about :LOL Will this help keep my birth canal nice and healthy?

Any other ideas would be so very appreciated

#208 ·
..I wish I could dig out the various posts I've got somewhere that have all the details of my wife's pregnancies but we'll go with the salient points.

We'd had two miscarriages, numerous bouts of bacterial vaginosis, high-powered antibiotics and the docs couldn't do a damned thing.

I did the research, we got off the antibiotic and hormone meats, and started yogurt douches ( I wasn't culturing then.)

It was primitive at the point--- just Ethical Nutrients Acidophilus and Bifidorum powder in a Stonyfield organic plain yogurt. I took the applicator they gave us with the antibiotics and filled the tube with yogurt cream and with my wife sitting in bed at bedtime gave her the entire tube to put in.

At a subsequent visit at the obgyn the doc, using a speculum could actually see those lil' bacteria setting up shop.

Throughout the pregnancy my wife would request and receive regular yogurt douches. She could simply feel when they were necessary. I don't why but the best mix seems to be the yogurt with 3 or 4 powder caps in there. I'd go with adult Jarro now as the bacterial mix has that L.rhamnosus that is especially good for the "lady parts".

You might also eat as many yogurts as possible. My 2.75 year old son has raised the bar around here and his most recent daily record is 5 6oz jars. He's 38 lbs. He just goes into the fridge to get them. One culture is Ethical nutrients the other is the Jarro. Bananas have great nutrients for the bacteria.

I'd also recommend dropping the kefir and culturing probiotic powder as a yogurt rather than eating store-bought yogurt.
From the research I've seen countering the claims from kefir websites, probiotic bacteria and NOT kefir bacteria are native and synergistic to the human GI tract. The strains in high grade probiotics are actually derived from bacteria taken from humans.

Let the hulla-balloo begin!

Good luck,

Ray

PS Thanks to all for the excellent care of my "baby" (the thread of course)

#209 ·
...you're question is not at all silly. It points to an essential failing in our "cultural" heritage.

In giving birth women can only give as good friendly flora as they have. In the cases of C-sections such as my wife's the powerful antibiotics needed for the surgery severely compromise the bacterial flora in the mother.

Where does the child's come from then??

Antibiotics and hormones in the conventional meat supply, antibiotic medicines, our modern diet (devoid of cultured foods and the fibers that enhance their lives) decimate our bacterial populations.

Remember, the bacteria were here first, we evolved in a biosystem where their functions are essential to all "higher" life-- let's say mammalian in this case. (I'm just trying to give a sense of their primacy NOT ours.)

When we got back from the hospital--- day 3 of my son's life-- I took the probiotic powder on my finger and pressed it into his mouth while he nursed. Meanwhile, I cultured yogurts for my wife to recolonize her healing body. I would say that any infectious complications after C-sections are the result of women not replenishing their flora at a time when they are most vulnerable--- when they're trying to heal.

Let me know how everything goes. Don't be afraid to be aggressive with the powder. If she's had any eczema and is possible allergic to dairy, go with powder for yourself. If not, you might think of culturing the powder as a yogurt.

Good luck,

Ray

#210 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
I drink lots of kefir and eat yogurt regularly. I avoid sugar and almost all refined foods.
Punkprincessmama -- is your yogurt and kefir homemade? If not, that is critical. The commercial stuff simply does not have the amount of bacteria that you need. You can also let your own yogurt culture longer (24 hours or more) and let your kefir sit longer (2 days or so) and you will have a lower lactose product which will not feed the bacteria.

You also should introduce antifunglas into your regimen. Grapefruitseed extract is a popular one and very strong -- be careful. Oil of oregano is apparently very good, though I have yet to try it. Ideally you would rotate two or three antifungal products every 3 days or so.

And welcome back, Ray. I disagree with your kefir assessment. From my own experience, kefir has made the difference for me in beating my yeast problem. I think both kefir and yogurt are critical.

#211 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rareimer
she had/has reflux, and gets sick alot, ear infections, etc. hoping this will help! thanks for all this great information.
rareimer -- it sounds like she really needs probiotics, so I would definitely start her on it. Most of our little ones are compromised in that department even when they are exclusively breastfed (of course formula fed too), because our own systems are compromised.

#213 ·
wow, thanks for all the help everyone. It is very much appreciated. Goodpapa, you timing is great, I was thinking I had read something about your wife and yogurt douches, but wasn't sure of the "potion" exactly.

We had gotten out of the habit of making our own yogurt in the last two months, but you are all right, that is the way to go, so we will make another batch this week. As for the kefir, we were culturing our own, but could never get used to the taste - any ideas there?

I will definetley let the yogurt sit longer, dh and I both have a lactose intolerance.

Okay, I had no idea about antifungals. So far, Grapefruitseed extract, Oil of oregano, and Lemongrass essential oil have all been suggested. How do I use these? Do I add them to the yogurt? I just have no idea, please excuse the ignorance, but hey we are all here to learn, right?

Oh, and we have been buying only organic meet since January.

#214 ·
Okay one more question! Pertaining to what you said, Ray, about giving your son probiotics on your finger at three days old. If a woman has a natural vaginal birth, and her birth canal is healthy, due to good eating habits, supplements, yogurt douches, etc. this wouldn't be necessary at that point, right? The child would have great bacteria in their system from the trip down the birth canal, correct?

#215 ·
Hi, PPM, in regards to the lemongrass essentail oil. Dilute the oil to a concentration of 2% in a carrier oil such as grapeseed. Soak an organic tampon and insert overnight. Also rub the diluted oil on your belly region daily.

In regards to the oregano oil. This you take internally as long as you are using the oil of oregano that is already diluted. If it is oregano essential oil then you will have to dilute to a concentration of about 10% in a carrier such as olive for internal consumption. 5 drops maximum daily. It is very strong stuff, get ready for quite a taste.

Grapefruit seed extract is a supplement, usually either in tincture form or in capsulated form thus you take a daily dose internally.

I think all children/infants no matter how they are born can benefit from extra probiotics. I look at it this way. The viruses and bacteria that are around now are mutated to the 100th degree due to overuse of antibiotics. I think to give our kids a fighting chance against these monster bugs we need to create a ironclad immune system which is directly related to the health of the flora of the intestinal tract.

One last thing...I make an essential oil blend call Cand-aide for thrush and yeast situations. I can share that recipe with you punk mama if you want. Let me know.

#216 ·
thanks for the advice!

i never thought about that, but yes i did have a c-section, so that probably compromised her immune system somewhat. she does not have excema, and i don't *think* she has a dairy allergy, though i have always wondered if she is sensitive to it or not, hence the reflux. i have never seen much of a difference when i have tried going dairy-free.

i have started giving her the probiotic once a day, and i myself take one three times a day. should i give her more often than once a day?

#217 ·
...is what is "necessary" and what is "optimal?"

I always go for optimal.

The science hasn't been done and probably never will be inasmuch as Modern Medical powers currently put all of their efforts into something as primitive and toxic as vaccination.

Actually the culturing of an infant is at least two part. The vaginal passage and, I think more importantly, the breastfeeding. Of course at a time before refrigeration in a healthy culture, cultured and fermented foods would have been a part of the daily diet. These foods would be loaded with ideal phytonutrients and fibers to fuel our human bodies and the flora within.

Our human history is as well fully linked to animal husbandry, so imagine a diet of daily, fresh, unpasteurized, unhomogenized milk, warm and loaded with beneficial flora, anti-yeast and anti-bad-bacterial compounds.

Our civilization is so far from this ideal state right now--there's no such thing as "natural" anywhere-- that I wouldn't bet on anyone's "great bacteria." Remember also, pregnancy mandates that the woman's immune system be compromised. It's necessary for the survival of the fetus.

I'm not being negative here, just realistic. The proof of what I've tried to do with my son's health is contantly evident.
Last thanksgiving he got the flu from my father when he visited and beat it overnight with a fever-- that was it.

You've probably read about his easy case of measles.

He plays alot with other kids and is very "huggy", so he is in continual contact with a full array of germs and viruses. Most of the children are in playgrounds so we have NO idea about what contagiousness they may or may not have. He gets fevers and coughs now and then, but nothing lasts for more than two days. Of course the final test will be when he stops breastfeeding but I think the greatest impact of that will be beneficial to my wife's overall health, and not detrimental to his.

I even think he may have had an almost completely asymptomic case of chickenpox. They looked like pox, but there were only four and they disappeared before even having a chance to crust over. Nonetheless, we are looking for a verifiable case to expose him to.

I'm taking the long winded route here since I'm wondering why you even asked the question about supplemental probiotics, assuming-- perhaps incorrectly-- that you are nervous about the prospect. I think my son's flora now is definitely stronger because of what we started on the 3rd day of his life. Neither my wife nor I were breastfed as infants. We discovered this healthy nutritional path relatively late in life, and, specifically in her case, we can't possibly know how the poor nutrition and toxic environmental loads of her early years-- while her body was developing--might limit her ability to pass on good health to our son.

Hi Amanda. I only opt for a probiotic yogurt instead of kefir for punkprincessmama,, at this point on the basis of this info from page one:

If she's going to culture, getting L. rhamnosus and L. fermentum into her body can most clearly help her situation.

http://jarrow.com/products/JarroDophilusfos.htm

l. rhamnonus is 20% of the mix. In fact, punkprincess, I would use the jarrow as a yogurt base for the douche and empty 2-3 jarrow caps into it for good measure. For some reason, probably because it thickens it, the yogurt with extra powder seems to work better.

I did some searching and found a source of l. fermentum:

http://www.pharmanex.com/corp/produc...s/probio.shtml

Hi, mountain mom, I didn't miss your offer of recipes for fermenting. I've got the time, the crawl space should be the perfect temp right now, and I'm re-reading Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation. Sauerkraut and beets are at the top of my list.

Ray

#219 ·
Yet another question for you probiotic gurus

I was at the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday and saw they had a section of probiotic products that are shelf stable. Jarrow has a product there as well as one called "PB8" and then an assortment of other brands including the Vitamin Shoppe's own. I asked the woman who worked there what they do to the bacteria to make it shelf stable and she gave me the deer in the headlights look LOL... big surprise. So, I thought I'd ask all of you. It would be nice to have a shelf stable variety for when we travel. It seemed to be the same price ranges as the refrigerated ones, so it's apparently not cheaper for them to produce...

So, what gives??

Also... how do I know when I (and my kids and dh) are taking "enough" probiotics?? I had a nasty case of mono last week which lasted for about four and a half days and I now feel fine (my recovery was quick and sudden... which is odd for me based on past experience) without taking any antibiotics or anything other than ibuprofen for the pain. I'm wondering if I'm still not taking enough pb's or if I am and the mono would have been much worse if I hadn't been taking them... I am taking two 1/2 tsp doses of the jarro (green label) one in the am and one pm. My dh is taking 1/2 tsp 3x a day and my kids are taking the yellow label jarrow capsules (I dump them in yogurt) one full capsule a day (3.4 billion).

Any advice on whether or not I should up our dosages?? Oh, an FYI, I'm pretty sure that DH has a persistent case of systemic candida... he's constantly got jock itch and athletes foot and his digestive system is a mess (always has been), so I'm assuming it takes a loooooonnnnggg time to clear it up. Is there anything special I should be doing for him other than pb's??

Thank you so much! This thread ROCKS!

#220 ·
The shelf stable Jarrow (EPS I think?) has some sort of enteric coating made out of hard to pronounce junk plus each capsule is blister wrapped to protect from air & moisture. It does say on the label that the fridge is preferable though.

Actually I take my other Jarrow along in my carry-on bag when I travel. I'm usually only gone 5-7 days & it's fine for that long.

You can increase your dosage as tolerated, but that's a pretty decent amount. In addition to the pb's for your dh, you might think about a nice multi-mineral, or at least some zinc & selenium. Some people have good luck using GSE with yeast but I know for sure my dh would never take it, he's so hard headed.

#221 ·
Thank you very much everyone for the responses and the time you took to write them. i have copied and pasted them into an email and asked DH to print them out for me at work(our printer is not working)

Goodpapa, I asked the question out of sheer curiosity. I don't doubt the awesome power of probiotics, just wondering about the benefits of supplementing a child from birth who is breastfed and had a vaginal birth. From your post and mountain moms I now understand that even if you do everything "right" a young babe can still benefit from extra help in the probiotic department.

I am so glad I posted my questions here, and that you all took the time to help me.

Mountain Mom, I would love to know more about your essential oil blend for yeast and thrush situations. Thank you kindly for your offer to share

#222 ·
Good to see you back, Goodpapa. I had worried we lost our local raging lactavist!

I have a question that I hope you guys won't mind giving me your opinion on.
Sorry if it's tmi....here goes.
I have been told I have bacterial vaginosis, and I know that I have constant yeast problems. I am due to give birth again this coming January, and want my body to be the best it can for my babe to pass through. What would ya'll recommend I do as far as probiotics? I also have a 2 1/2 ds who I believe also has yeast issues which are my fault, I'm sure.

Admittedly, I am a sugar-holic. No doubt due to the yeasty beasties telling me how badly I need refined sugar.
:
Anyway-any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
TIA-

#223 ·
wondering...is there any way that giving my daughter a probiotic supplement would cause an upset stomach? she has had two very spontaneous, totally unexpected throw-ups since she's been on it. she is pretty prone to throwing up for various reasons, but these were without warning, hours after she'd eaten, and the only thing i can think of that has changed has been the probiotic. part of the reason i have her on it is that i'm hoping this will help her reflux, not make it worse!

(fyi, she is taking the Udo's Choice Infant Probiotic, 1/2 teaspoon once a day.)

#225 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
Mountain Mom, I would love to know more about your essential oil blend for yeast and thrush situations. Thank you kindly for your offer to share

Hi there,
Here is the recipe. If you have any questions just ask. Make sure to follow dilution percentages closely.

This is an essential oil blend that is excellent at healing vagintosis, yeast infections etc. This is for adults only. Take one drop internally daily and dilute to a concentration of 3% essential oils in a carrier oil to soak a tampon in and insert overnight. Also rub the diluted form on your belly and massage. Make sure the E.O.'s are distilled from organic herb matter.
Tea Tree 2 parts
Cinnamon LEAF (not BARK) 1 part
Oregano 2 parts
Peppermint 1 part

This following recipe is for active thrush in babes and kids. Take one drop and swish into the babes mouth and on the nursing Mom's nipples.

In this recipe I am asking you to take drops of oils. A drop of an essential oil comes from a graduate dropper. Turn the bottle upside down and let the drop fall on its own with no help from you (ie tapping the bottle)

Blend into a 12 ml bottle. The total drops into the bottle will be 22 drops which constitutes just under 1 ml.

Again source essentail oils distilled from organic plant matter for this.

Niaoulli 3 drops
Lavender 3 drops
Lemongrass 6 drops
Marjoram 3 drops
Pepperming 3 drops
Rosemary 3 drops
Cinnamon Leaf 2 drops

Top the bottle up with a carrier oil such as grapeseed or jojoba.

HTH, good luck.

#226 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodpapa
Hi, mountain mom, I didn't miss your offer of recipes for fermenting. I've got the time, the crawl space should be the perfect temp right now, and I'm re-reading Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation. Sauerkraut and beets are at the top of my listRay
HI Ray,
My recipe is pretty simple.

Take beets (any variety, this year I used Chiogga!), turnip, carrot and ginger. Shred to a consistency that feels good to you. I should add that I use the same amount of beet and turnip, and a quarter of the amount of carrot and 1/8 of that of ginger.

Once you have shredded sprinkle celtic sea salt over the veg and mix it up in your crock or jar. You can add caraway seeds too.

Then follow Sandor's instructions from there in.

I am going to make Amasake from Amaranth. Any one tried this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.