Five Year Old With Abdominal Pain & Fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at my wit's end here, so while I'm waiting for our ND to call me back I was hoping maybe someone had some thoughts. My ds, age 5, started complaining of stomach pain on Sunday. The pain made him scream and cry, and he ran a fever (about 102) at the same time. We eventually calmed him down and he fell asleep. When he woke up the pain was still there, so I gave him a fever reducer (Motrin). When the fever subsided so did the pain. Monday he was fine - no fever and no pain. Tuesday it began again: intermittent bouts of stomach pain accompanied by fever. Relief came when the fever came down. Yesterday there was nothing again. Today it has started again, although the fever is only about 100 and the pain isn't causing him to scream or cry. He's just miserable and looks ill.

I called my ND 2 days ago, and she said to call again if this continued. I did so earlier and await my callback. But I have scoured the internet to no avail; his symptoms don't seem to fit any stomach issue I can find. Of note is that for a few weeks prior to these bouts of stomach pain he had been randomly complaining that his "belly hurt," but it didn't seem to be a huge issue. (Honestly it seemed more like a way to get out of something lol) But I have to think about that now as well. Earlier today, before the pain flared back up, he told me his tummy was growling "really fast." He said it meant he was really hungry. Shortly afterward his pain returned, although it didn't stop him from eating lunch.

I was just hoping some of you wise mamas might have some insight because my dh and I are worried sick. (Waiting on that dr phone call drives me nuts too - can you tell?)

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Where is the pain exactly?? If it is not in one particular spot, I would say your son has what my older son gets when he gets fevers==pain in the stomach and nausea. Maybe your son just has a fever virus or some kind of bug and the fever is just causing stomach pain. If the pain is located at one spot only, then it may be something else. But if it is not accomponied by diarrea or vomiting, that is very unusual. Maybe he is/has been constipated or has a bit of IBS. I would take him back to the dr to be on the safe side.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#3 of 4 Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM

i would be taking him to the er asap......sometimes symptoms dont follow the mandate in a book/internet kwim? i would be concerned about the intermittant severe pain and the fever and not want to wait for a drs call.
#4 of 4 Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!! Our dr saw him, and as I had suspected quickly ruled out any emergency. She did a blood draw and stool sample to check for infection, but at this point (and with him running around the house lol) she's thinking it was just a strange virus. She said it was a good thing I was taking a more "watch and evaluate" approach rather than running him to the er, because he would have been exposed to much worse and would have had an xray needlessly. (I don't know if I mentioned it in my 1st post but I also talked to the dr on Monday about it, so she had told me the warning signs that would warrant an er trip. That's why I didn't rush him in to the hospital.)

Hooray for feeling better! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page