Are Dexoscans safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a Dex scan to check for bone density loss in May. There was a bizarre result and the endorchrionologist I went to as follow up suggested we repeat it. I know it is low dose radiation -- generally I avoid radiation unless really necessasry -- don't even get routine dental x-rays. Is a dex scan like a dental x-ray? Is it more or less radiation? Should I be worreid about it? I can say no to the repeat dex. Appt is for this friday so I have to make a decision quickly.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Tiny amount of radiation- it's actually less radiation than you would get by taking a cross-country plane flight. The bigger question is- why are you getting the scan? There aren't a ton of indications for doing a scan in someone who is pre-menopausal.

BTW- Dental x-rays are a HUGE amount of radiation!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post
Tiny amount of radiation- it's actually less radiation than you would get by taking a cross-country plane flight. The bigger question is- why are you getting the scan? There aren't a ton of indications for doing a scan in someone who is pre-menopausal.

BTW- Dental x-rays are a HUGE amount of radiation!
Thanks. Great info. I had a scan in May b/c of hip and knee problem I was having -- the dr wanted one. Shouldn't have agreed to it but hindsight is 20/20. Anway, turned up with a -2.4 T score on my left arm which is borderline osteoperosis. Now trying to figure out why I have such a score at age 40 pre-menopausal -- is something else going on? Seeing a really good endocrinologist now and he wanted to repeat to make sure the score is even accurate.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Here's the thing- a T-score should not be looked at in someone who is pre-menopausal. Only a Z-score. (the Z score looks at age-matched normals). So, it sound like someone might have done a less-than-optimal job reading your scan in the first place. Make sure that if you have another one, it's being read by someone who knows what they're doing (preferable someone who is certified in clinical densitometry).

ALSO- I'm not sure why a forearm Dexa was done. These generally are done in people who have had hip replacements or spine surgery and can't have the typical spine/hip scan done. Sometimes they are used in people with hypothyroidism.

Unfortunately, this happens a lot. Inappropriate ordering of an inappropriate test, leading to lots of unecessary stress on the part of the patient.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! super info! My z-score is actually -2.4 also. That's really good to hear about the arm reading. My hip and spine t-scores and z-scores are all fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post
Here's the thing- a T-score should not be looked at in someone who is pre-menopausal. Only a Z-score. (the Z score looks at age-matched normals). So, it sound like someone might have done a less-than-optimal job reading your scan in the first place. Make sure that if you have another one, it's being read by someone who knows what they're doing (preferable someone who is certified in clinical densitometry).

ALSO- I'm not sure why a forearm Dexa was done. These generally are done in people who have had hip replacements or spine surgery and can't have the typical spine/hip scan done. Sometimes they are used in people with hypothyroidism.

Unfortunately, this happens a lot. Inappropriate ordering of an inappropriate test, leading to lots of unecessary stress on the part of the patient.

User Tag List