Mothering Forum banner

Precocious puberty in a girl?

650 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vioburn 
#1 ·
My 4-year old daughter is showing some signs of (possibly androgen-related) precocious puberty. We just started seeing a new pediatrician and he recommended that we first get an x-ray to see the age of her hand and downplayed the usefulness of a screening of her hormones. He spoke to my husband by phone and said the results of the x-ray show that her hand is off by one standard of deviation from normal and to wait and see if her symptoms increase or if any others arise before doing anything else.

I'm a bit freaked out and am waiting for a callback from the doc to see if he can tell me more. I'd like to find some info about the possibly causes and treatments. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
A friend of mine had this happen to her little girl and it turned out to be from massive soy consumption. She had been on soy formula and then went to soy milk and was drinking a LOT every day and that was basically her only diet. The ped had them remove all soy from her diet and the symptoms stopped but didn't reverse (she still had some one sided breast development).

This is my only experience with it and probably not what is going on with your little girl. I wish you well and hope you find some answers.

Wendi

#3 ·
my best friends' 6 yr old dd has started developing breasts. i do not know all the details, if they've done hormone testing or anything else, but i do know that they have stopped giving her soy as much as possible and have switched to organic, hormone-free cows milk.

i don't know if this helps at all!

#4 ·
Stange that you should post this, right now. I JUST watched a video (in one of my college classes) about a 5 year old that had started her period. It turns out that she had thyroid problems, and when she started treating that, her puberty symptoms went away. I would have the doctor check her thyroid.

The other reason they noted for early puberty was stress in the home, but think that was more for 6-8 year olds, not 4 year olds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.