2.5 year old and facial swelling. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 and for the second time this year is having some facial swelling. Last time his lip started to swell and he got a fever and within a few hours his left cheek and jowel swelled and hung low. I took him to the doctor and he didn't know what it was and gave me an antibiotic for him. I wasn't sure about giving it to him so I got a second opinion from a holistic chiropractor, who said it was an overreaction to sugar.. (ummm...yeah...ok) so I gave him the antibiotic and it went fully away in about a week.

I don't remember if he had a cold prior to that swelling.

Tonight, ds's upper lip is swelling again. He was inconsolable around 5:30 and just wanted to nurse and tried to tell me that his lip hurt--he was pointing to it saying "hurts"...I nursed him and he fell asleep and is sleeping now. He is just getting over a cold.

I'm keeping an eye on him, but I can't figure out what on earth is causing this swelling. Does it sound like an allergy? It was about 4 months ago from the last swelling and he isn't having anything different that I know of. If it's an allergy, why only one side of his face the last time?

any ideas?
sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's very strange. The only thing I can think of is to give him benadryl and see if the swelling subsides. Then, you'll know it's an allergic reaction of some sort. Was the swelling in the exact same place as last time? Does he or anyone in your house get cold sores? Those can be brought on by illness or just generally being run down. Are his glands swollen? Is there any redness on the swelling?

I hope someone here can give you some better ideas.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

STRANGE: although the swelling started in the approximate same place (upper lip) it's spreading to the other side. I'm wondering if he could have some sort of a standing infection in his teeth or gums. He has had dental work done on his top middle four teeth. I'm taking him in this morning...kinda scarry.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM

Yikes. I'm glad you're taking him in. I hope they take it seriously. Let us know what happens.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady View Post
STRANGE: although the swelling started in the approximate same place (upper lip) it's spreading to the other side. I'm wondering if he could have some sort of a standing infection in his teeth or gums. He has had dental work done on his top middle four teeth. I'm taking him in this morning...kinda scarry.

sarah
It sounds like he could have some sort of infection/absess (sp?) .. I would take him to the dr ASAP.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

doc said his teeth look fine and no signs of infection..i.e. redness, oozing, pus, blisters etc...she thinks its an allergy, most likely to food because it starts in the lips.

the swelling isn't getting worse, but he's not keeping food down. he ate 2 bites of banana and puked it up in 20 minutes and I just gave him some juice which he heaved up pretty quickly.

he didn't have any concurring ear infection or redness or anything anywhere.

sarah

The last time this happened was after a birthday party. the cake there was homemade banana bread with homemade icing. Yesterday, he had some crap food at grandmas including 3 nilla wafers and a small piece of kit kat. He also had yesterday ham, bread(little bit), cheese, tomato soup (little bit), milk...and that's about it b4 the swelling started.

any ideas?
Is there that much vanilla in nilla wafers to me to call my friend and see if she put vanilla in the cake? that's the only similarity I can see.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM

Have you given him benadryl to see if that makes the swelling go down?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 AM

Does this happen to anyone else in your family? There is a condition known as angioedema which can also be hereditary angioedema. This is fairly rare though and hopefully not the cause.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

not that I'm aware of, but thank you--I'm going to google that. It has pretty much gone away. I hope it wasn't connected, but he was puking two nights ago all night long, but he's not visibly sick, i.e., he did have a cold, but it went away. My kids don't generally puke unless they have fevers/colds in addition.

Sarah

Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 AM

when my oldest son swelled up from an allergy (sterawberries, around 13 months) it was fast and big, not really what you describe. I would try and give benadryl the next time it happens, and if it works, then you know its some sort of allergy, and if it doesn't then you know to look for other causes.

I know it sucks when something is wrong with our kids.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out angiodema and there are some similarities with my son. Vomitting and diahrea are common (ds had little diahrea and vomitted all night). And it talked a lot about swelling in the lips/face as well as extremities. I don't think he had the severity of what they were describing, but I think I'm going to further this research a bit. I just can't think of anything he could have been allergic to (food wise) for either of these swellings to occur. Just out of the blue.

Sarah

User Tag List