Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well that was easier than I thought. This is my lil dexter. X
#32 of 35 Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

He's a darling :)  If you take him into bright light, do both his pupils constrict and then look equal?  My DD's looked equal in outdoor or bright light (both small) but inside in dimmer light they became unequal - so it was a problem with the smaller pupil not dilating, not with the big pupil.

#33 of 35 Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Aww thank you! Yeah they go down to near enough the same size. That's when people tend to tell me I'm being silly. There's nothing wrong with him... Annoys me!
#34 of 35 Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Sarah,

Getting a test to rule out Horner's Syndrome is good - a regular eye drop test won't work.  You have to do a Cocaine test (unless there is something newer since the info I'm telling you is from 4.5 years ago) to test for Horner's Syndrome.  As stated in the above convo with the doctor, a type of eye drop normally used is not safe for infants (DD's doctor was actually going to use when I told him I thought it was unsafe - he then talked with other docs and got back to me, "Yeah, you're right - can't use that one.")

As you might have read online, a child getting Horner's is more scary than a baby born with it.  Being born with it might have been caused by neck trauma at birth or, in DD's case, I wonder if it was because of all her placenta issues (vasa previa, failing placenta, true knot in cord - maybe that cord was around her neck for awhile in utero and that's when it caused damage - who knows!) - but from what I read, it's less worrisome that your baby has this now than for it to just show up at a year and a half or something - that would be more likely to be something bad. 

However, at the VERY least, if it were me, I would get a full eye exam with a pediatric opthalmologist and also *insist* on urine catecholamine testing - it's easy to do, especially with a boy.  Just collect urine for 24 hours and then they test it for indications of neuroblastoma - which is the 'big bad' that I was freaked out about/worried about.  Again, it's less likely to be that with congenital anisicoria than with aquired, so try to get it out of your mind - I assume if you googled you've already got that on your radar.  After that, they might also do an MRI of the head/neck and a chest xray.  (Don't let them do a CT-scan, though!  Too much radiation!).  Those are all the things we did, and it eased my mind so much!

But again, my daughter had the *exact* thing your DS has and it all turned out to be just fine, as did other posters above -- try to not worry and just make sure the doctors do the tests just to rule out the bad stuff.

Another thing with Horner's is ptosis in the eye that has the smaller pupil in dim light.  Strangely, for my daughter, she does have one eye that looks slightly smaller, but it's in the wrong eye for Horner's. 

#35 of 35 Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYEDDIES10 View Post

Khanni. What's is they say it was with your daughter when she got checked out? We're they expecting her eyes to even out? So pleased I found this place... I've a picture of my lil boy. I don't know how to upload. Picture isn't very good either. Darn iPads don't have a flash. X

I apologize that I don't remember that well--it was 7 years ago. They definitely did the cocaine drops, and he said it was physiological. I was really nervous, too, with other doctors or schools because it can be a sign of head trauma or shaken-baby syndrome, so I always made sure people knew. Anyway, she is awesome, smart, and healthy! Your baby boy is beautiful. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page