Sea salt healthy for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is really into homeopathic remedies and every month there is something new. Now, he is onto sea salt. He read somewhere that sea salt cures a lot of things and is healthy for you. What he does with his body is up to him but my concern is that he is now giving it to the kids and I don't know anything about it.

I've always been taught that too much salt is not good for you. My kids don't usually add salt to their meals but now my husband is pushing them to add this to their food. This doesn't sit well with me because of my concerns with kids getting too much salt. But before I discuss it with him, I am trying to find out if there are really healing powers behind sea salt that I might not know about.

Can anyone enlighten me or provide any info? What are your thoughts about adding sea salt to a young child's meal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 01:32 AM

We exclusively use sea salt for cooking, baking, seasoning, whatever.

I don't automatically salt my kiddos' food, but if they ask, I will put a little sprinkle on it (usually they are asking because they see DH or I do it to our food, though).

In regards to "too much sodium" I think that depends on what foods you are eating. And where is the sodium coming from? Remember, the body NEEDS salt to function.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 AM

table salt has most of the minerals removed magnesium for example is removed and sold to melt ice and snow on highways and streets. it is also bleached. you dont want your kids eating too much of that stuff. sea salt however is greatstuff, a natural balance of minerals. my kids like to eat it out of the jar and that is great. the unhealthy salt is "denatured" changed from the way it naturally exists and is therefore unhealthy. eating things the way G-d made them (how we see it) is the best thing you can do for your and your kids bodies.

User Tag List