PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! Daughter sick-what do you think is wrong?! So concerned. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To start my 19 mo daughter recently weaned last month. Last Tuesday (9 days ago) I took her and her older sis for a trial visit to our gyms playroom while I worked out. (My girls aren't vaxed.) After my workout I returned to find my 19 mo crying her eyes out (no one paged me or anything-grrr) and boogies running down her face and she was soooo thirsty. I left her water and they gave her none. Well needless to say my kids are not going back. Fast forward to the next evening. She got sick. Started throwing up and I was pretty sure she got the stomach flu. Never really had a fever but was vomitting off and on most of the night and a few times the next morning. By Thursday night I thought she was getting better. Well by Saturday she was threw up again. THen started to get well and seem better. Then again on this past MOnday, same thing and then last night again, same thing. So it has been going on for 8 days. I give her Smart Water (electrolite enhansed) everyday and her multi-vit. Here is where the problem is: She is starting to show an obvious pattern and I am concerned about what is really going on. She will eat and eat and eat all moring after waking up each day and she seems like she is just starving from about 8am -1pm. Then she goes down for her nap. Before I put her down her belly is always SUPER bloated, I mean she looks like an ethiopian kid like you see on tv. (She is so skinny in her limbs now, not typical of her at all.) Then when she wakes up from nap around 4/430 she is very very whinny and by the time dinner rolls around she either starts having blow out diarehha that makes her cry like she cant control it, it is very liquidy or about every other day now it seems, she will start eating dinner and throw up everything she ate all day. like 2 lbs of food. Its like whatever she is eating doesnt digest. It is just sitting in her belly causing her so much pain. She looks so thin and fragile in her arms, back and legs now too. Just has a huge belly. Anyone can help me out? I am very anti-medical world unless I have to, but my husband and I are at a lost and are starting to get pretty concerned. If anyone can offer any insight into this I would be so very grateful.
Concerned mama,
Laura
ps-could she of digested something at the playroom or gotten something there? Im lost.
#2 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 PM

This may be coming out of left field, but the description reminds me a lot of my son who has celiac disease.
#3 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
This may be coming out of left field, but the description reminds me a lot of my son who has celiac disease.
Really, the vommitting and diarehha and stuff? What have you done/do? What should I do???
#4 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys View Post
I thought the very same thing- we just found out my dp has celiac and it seems very similar. As far as eating eating eating she probably feels really hungry from vomiting. I think she'll be fine, but you need to get her into a naturopath to get looked at. Especially with diarrhea and vomiting. You don't want her to get too dehydrated.
#5 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my only thought was that maybe she ate a toy or something that's blocking her stomach or bowels or something. that could be just crazy talk though. Sorry, I'm not into doctors either, but for this one I'd head there. Especially if she's losing tons of weight.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#6 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM

My friend's DS had this. He'd eaten a plastic toy and it had lodged and blocked his duodenum. The hunger was because very little was getting into his small intestine, it was just coming up when his stomach was full. The thirst was from hunger and internal bleeding. Part of his gut necrotised and he had to have an emergency operation. He died on the operating table and had to be resussitated, though his is thankfully ok now. Not to be cruel but this sounds super-serious to me, and i would get her to medical help (naturopath, WHATEVER) ASAP. DO NOT WAIT!
#7 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:01 PM

I would take her in to be sure, but it sounds like rotovirus to me.

Does the poop have a distint really really nasty skunky smell to it?

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#8 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 PM

I would at least call the ped's office and speak to a nurse. But I don't like docs either, and I'd take her in for something like this.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#9 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
My friend's DS had this. He'd eaten a plastic toy and it had lodged and blocked his duodenum. The hunger was because very little was getting into his small intestine, it was just coming up when his stomach was full. The thirst was from hunger and internal bleeding. Part of his gut necrotised and he had to have an emergency operation. He died on the operating table and had to be resussitated, though his is thankfully ok now. Not to be cruel but this sounds super-serious to me, and i would get her to medical help (naturopath, WHATEVER) ASAP. DO NOT WAIT!
this is what I am concerned about!!! I guess I better just go.
#10 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
mlh

Get her to a Naturopath right away! I was thinking celiacs also, but geez, you just never know..best to take this to a professional.

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#11 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Yes I would take her in. Yes.

Good luck!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#12 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:34 PM

I don't know how she was before, but if she was perfecty fine before, and it all started with the visit to the gym's playroom, I would not think celiac. Please take her in right away.
#13 of 24 Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM

this sounds very concerning and I would take her to the doc right away. if it were me I may even go to the ER if the doc is closed for the day where you are. please keep us updated as to how she is doing. hopefully it is a terrible virus that will pass but you shouldn't wait a day longer to have her checked out in case she does have a blockage that needs to be taken care of, or other medical problem that needs to be treated. hope you get some answers soon.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#14 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 AM

It does sound like a blockage, doesn't it? Take her in and get a CT. I would insist even if they say no.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#15 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 AM

yikes, i am of the camp of taking her in to be sure. sounds scary, mama. hugs to her and you both.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#16 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 12:19 AM

I hope she is ok! PLEASE keep us updated!!!

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#17 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 12:27 AM

I hope it works out!!

I agree, get her checked...
#18 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 AM

I worked in a gym child care room for a year, a while ago. Sometimes when new kids came in (younger ones), they weren't familiar with the play food and would stick it right in their mouths. She might have swallowed a new toy that she wasn't familiar with. I hate taking my kids to the dr, but this sounds like an emergency and that's what modern medicine should be for...emergencies!

Mommy to DS (8/21/02), DD 4/13/04) and DS (1/2/06) : Improving every day! See my profile page for my blog address!
#19 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 AM

How are you all mama2ashlyn? I've been thinking/praying all night! I hope whatever was wrong has been discovered and treated and your little girl is on the mend now.

Beccy
#20 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 AM

I am wondering how things are going as well...

Please update us, if/when you have the time, mama.

Sending love and healing to your family.
#21 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Read this after I woke up and have been concerned all day...any update?
Wishing you the best!
#22 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Mamas,
Thankfully Autumn is doing much better! I cannot express how much I believe now in the power of prayers/good vibes. Wow! When I wrote here she was napping. I did research when she was napping and wondered what the heck was taking so long for her to feel better. I had forgot to mention some key things I realized. See when Autumn got the stomach flu, she got it first. The night after being in the playroom at the gym. Then the next night her older sister Ashlynn got it. Then daddy got it shortly after and then I got it too! We also all got this runny nose upper respitory type thing going too. The girls still have runny noses. And looking back I realized now that Ashlynn has barely eaten this whole week and has not pooped. Autumn has been eating but wasnt pooping, execpt for two light green blow out mucus-y type diapers. So yesterday evening, after much thinking and talking to more family and friends we realized they are constipated. I am feeding them higher fiber foods and so far Autumn has had two poops. They are getting more formed then before. Ashlynn still hasnt pooped but I can tell she wants to today. Likely after she gets up from this nap. (They just went down.) So we ultimately decided to hold off on the procedures unless she got any worse or didnt show any signs of improvement overnight last night. We made an x-ray appt for today with my chiro instead as an alternative. Well miraculously, she woke from her nap doing so much better yesterday and doing very good today. Not much of any bloating today, and is really back to herself. I really believe that the positive energy and prayers helped her! I cant thank you all enough for being there for me. I am so glad that it is looking up here and I promise to send another update either way real soon.
Thanks mamas!
Laura
#23 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Oh THANK GOODNESS!

I have been so worried about you and your babe! I'm so glad you figured it out and got it sorted Mama. More and healing vibes for you all!

Beccy
#24 of 24 Old 09-19-2008, 11:29 PM

Glad to hear she's doing better. I was worried and checking frequently...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page